McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d say he started much less last year than most previous years. I may be wrong and I’m too lazy to look up the stats but he definitely played a bit-part role (and let’s not forget the goals).

Even the year before, he had a slight spell where he kept Casemiro out of the team when we signed him and then went back to the bench for the most part.

I’m far from his biggest fan, and think we should accept any reasonable bid that comes in, but we shouldn’t sell him for peanuts and I think it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world if he remained a squad player until we get another summer window to bring in more depth:

I think you’re certainly right about the season before, with Casemiro, Eriksen and Bruno being first choice, although Casemiro and Eriksen did have spells out of the side. Last season he seemed to be a regular to me. Started on the bench for sure, but a couple of late goals and sheer desperation, injuries and lack of ideas saw him start every game after a while as he was the only player in the squad capable of scoring a goal for a few months.

All the most relevant games I can think of last season seem to have him in the lineup, at least after the first couple of months. I appreciate the need for squad players, but if he’s sold, we can get someone more suited I feel.

We should be pushing him out, alongside Eriksen and Casemiro. Not angling for new deals. Frustrating that we will never properly sort out this midfield

There is a lot of posturing during a sale. If a player is known to be surplus to requirements it's hard to get market value for them.

This is what I'm hoping. There is nothing to McT game that we should be building into our future plans.

I hope they come back for him. The Palhinha money burning a hole in their pocket. Scott's partner is based in London, right? Pair him up with Pereira and hope he does well enough there. 25-30 would be incredible.

Right move for all parties, we can get a top class holding midfielder for the money.

McT last season did well but ultimately not what we need.

30 million is a reasonable price. Yes he's a limited player but he's a goalscorer and could be a decent player in a smaller team.

Our midfield options for the 2 spots are:
  • Mainoo
  • Mount*
  • McTominay
  • Eriksen
  • Casemiro
*Covers multiple positions, hasn't proven we can rely on him to stay injury free yet

At the very minimum we need to go into next season with 5 players. Could even be argued we need another, given we have lost Amrabat from last season.

If we sell McTominay it means we will be keeping one, or possibly both of Eriksen and Casemiro. Ideal scenario for me would be to sell those two and bring in 2 (e.g. Ugarte and Amrabat). If selling McTominay allows us to upgrade someone like Amrabat for a Nevez, Zubimendi level player then fair enough, but I don't see that happening this window.

McTominay isn't everyone's cup of tea, but he has proven his worth. I think with some more quality in front of him in the pecking order, we will be able to utilise him in the right situations instead of relying on him to start so many games

Not that surprised by a lack of interest, just a shame because he can clearly get a goal and his general player in a lesser team should be okay.

Not that surprised by a lack of interest, just a shame because he can clearly get a goal and his general player in a lesser team should be okay.

There are no lesser teams now, not in terms of style and approach. Even Bournemouth are sacking O’Niell who kept them up in order to get Iraola to implement progressive play (not that O’Niell wasn’t progressive IMO). Even the smaller teams are trying to keep ball now, so I worry about how competitive a market for Scott will be.

Moyes has gone now, Dyche is still there and Silva seems to fancy him, but can’t be many who would see him as a player to make their record signing, which is probably what we want from those sorts of sides.

Last edited:
Quickly sell him before those clubs realise they can get someone of a similar standard for half the price or less from outside of England.

McTominay isn't everyone's cup of tea, but he has proven his worth. I think with some more quality in front of him in the pecking order, we will be able to utilise him in the right situations instead of relying on him to start so many games

Oh he definitely has proven his worth all right. I don’t hate him, but he’s just not consistent enough and neither does he have the required qualities to be a central midfielder for us. I could see him backing up/rotating as a false 9 ish player for us but with Zirkzee signed that spot is taken. I would very much prefer Gore or Hannibal take his minutes, which would be lessened considerably since Mount is back, provided he stays fit.

Perhaps we could try for a cheeky McT + Maguire/Lindelof + cash bid for Branthwaite, they replace Onana and Branthwaite and get a small amount of cash.

Worth 30-35M minimum. Worth it for the goals alone.

And we shouldnt budge from our asking price. Other clubs dont, when we go shopping.

You know, as they say offering anything below our asking price is "disrespectful" :cool:

£30m seems like a very reasonable price for McTom with 1+1 left on his contract. He got 10 goals last season, is only 27 years old and has been a consistent performer for his country as well. He would be a great addition to a mid to bottom table team.

Lot of rumours we are going to reject approaches from Turkey & England and offer him a new contract, while Ineos have made some positive moves, I didn't like selling Kambwala and offering Mctominay a new contract would really start to fill me with dread.

Our midfield options for the 2 spots are:
  • Mainoo
  • Mount*
  • McTominay
  • Eriksen
  • Casemiro
*Covers multiple positions, hasn't proven we can rely on him to stay injury free yet

At the very minimum we need to go into next season with 5 players. Could even be argued we need another, given we have lost Amrabat from last season.

If we sell McTominay it means we will be keeping one, or possibly both of Eriksen and Casemiro. Ideal scenario for me would be to sell those two and bring in 2 (e.g. Ugarte and Amrabat). If selling McTominay allows us to upgrade someone like Amrabat for a Nevez, Zubimendi level player then fair enough, but I don't see that happening this window.

Jesus we really have only 1 good midfielder in Mainoo.

Jesus we really have only 1 good midfielder in Mainoo.
Exactly... And the club is currently chasing 3 CBs. I hope they will address the midfield too this window. But there's plenty of time left, I guess.

Exactly... And the club is currently chasing 3 CBs. I hope they will address the midfield too this window. But there's plenty of time left, I guess.
I think they will but are currently prioritising defenders. We can’t have another season where the likes of Casemiro is needed at CB.

I think you’re certainly right about the season before, with Casemiro, Eriksen and Bruno being first choice, although Casemiro and Eriksen did have spells out of the side. Last season he seemed to be a regular to me. Started on the bench for sure, but a couple of late goals and sheer desperation, injuries and lack of ideas saw him start every game after a while as he was the only player in the squad capable of scoring a goal for a few months.

All the most relevant games I can think of last season seem to have him in the lineup, at least after the first couple of months. I appreciate the need for squad players, but if he’s sold, we can get someone more suited I feel.
Only eight United players had more minutes in the Premier League than McTominay (18 starts, 14 sub appearances), and he had the 5th most minutes in the CL campaign, short as it was.

i think there is no panic to sell him until later in the window, also we don't want him popping up at OT with Fulham next month with a few goals

He is a good lad and will do well wherever he goes, i would also be fine with him staying as a squad player.

i think there is no panic to sell him until later in the window, also we don't want him popping up at OT with Fulham next month with a few goals

He is a good lad and will do well wherever he goes, i would also be fine with him staying as a squad player.

Panic isn’t the word, but surely due to the sort of fee he could command, we would want it sooner rather than later as it will influence our window.

Panic isn’t the word, but surely due to the sort of fee he could command, we would want it sooner rather than later as it will influence our window.
I don't really see much need to sell him to be honest. Amrabat, Casemiro and Eriksen probably the first ones lined up to the chopping board.

£30-40m would be great for us from a financial standpoint, but then you have to replace a guy that can contribute close to double figures in goals from midfield. That's not an easy thing to do.

He shouldn't be a starter, and a priority should be signing a quality defensive partner for Mainoo when it comes to midfield.

However, given our focus on defence this window, I think it's likely we'll make one signing in MF this summer, so I think McTominay will be kept and 2 of Casemiro, Amrabat & Eriksen will get the chop.

I wish we move him on. Gets us good money that we can use to purchase an actual midfielder.

If we could ship him off for £30m that would be the best United transfer in the recent years. :lol:

I don't really see much need to sell him to be honest. Amrabat, Casemiro and Eriksen probably the first ones lined up to the chopping board.

£30-40m would be great for us from a financial standpoint, but then you have to replace a guy that can contribute close to double figures in goals from midfield. That's not an easy thing to do.

He shouldn't be a starter, and a priority should be signing a quality defensive partner for Mainoo when it comes to midfield.

However, given our focus on defence this window, I think it's likely we'll make one signing in MF this summer, so I think McTominay will be kept and 2 of Casemiro, Amrabat & Eriksen will get the chop.

No we don’t.

We can very easily improve on McTominay with a midfielder who does not score double figures. Goalscoring isn’t the primary function of a CM, and while Scott is good at that, he’s poor at the primary midfield functions. You can’t have a central midfielder who is considered ineffective in games they don’t score in. He’s not a striker.

Providing he’s used properly which is an attacking centre mid then he’s worth that £30-40m price tag.

I'd say 20-25 Mio is a good price for him. However, we need at least 2 new midfielders with Casemiro and Amrabat being question marks so it would surprise me to see McTominay leave.

No we don’t.

We can very easily improve on McTominay with a midfielder who does not score double figures. Goalscoring isn’t the primary function of a CM, and while Scott is good at that, he’s poor at the primary midfield functions. You can’t have a central midfielder who is considered ineffective in games they don’t score in. He’s not a striker.
To be fair you've disagreed with the point I made but haven't really addressed it at all in your follow up.

McTominay is not a great midfielder, that we can agree on. But neither are Eriksen, Amrabat and Casemiro anymore. Two are past it and one is way off the quality required.

Like I said, he shouldn't be a starter and we should be looking to completely reshape the midfield around Mainoo over the next couple of seasons. He's lacking so many of the fundamental skills required for his position on the pitch. McTominay is like the Thomas Muller of No. 8's.

However, we struggled badly for goals last year. Now, if your post was about how you think Rashford will hit form next year, Hojlund will score more, Zirkzee will contribute, Mount as well etc, and how getting a functioning MF behind them will unlock x, y and z... then fair enough I'd say you have a good counter argument.

However, my point stands that against lower opposition in the PL McTominay can do a job, while scoring crucial goals like against Villa, Brentford, Chelsea etc last season. We finished with 0 goal difference last season. Let's not be hasty in selling players that have literally proven they can go out there and win us points on the board.

The glaring weakness in our midfield is deeper than McTominay plays anyway. We may sell him, but we'd still need to sell Casemiro anyway because how likely is he to sit on the bench? And United aren't going to pay his wages to do that either.

Ten Hag played McTominay higher up the pitch for a lot of last season as well, so if the main argument that can be made for selling McTominay is really for PSR rules, then I'm not really on board with that. Addressing what we do with Amrabat, Casemiro and Eriksen aka how we fix our MF from deep, is the priority this summer (in my eyes).

If McTominay was playing for Fulham and we wanted him they’d be quoting £40m minimum.

For a similar profile player with similar strengths and limitations - think of Thomas Soucek 2 or 3 years ago and how much West Ham would’ve wanted. Then add in that McTominay is British, homegrown and has come up through our own academy.

I honestly think that unless he wants to leave, he has more value to us as a squad player who loves the club than any transfer deal worth less than £40m.

At least £30m to even start a conversation - Would be looking for £35-40m with add-ons and stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.