McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caf - we need to get rid of the deadwood, we are wasting wages etc
Caf - no no no not that deadwood, not unless someone pays a decent fee.

If a player is not good enough to make the 1st team regularly, then he's not good enough to be in the squad. thats the difference between top teams and everyone else.

He was deployed in a more advanced role last season, which I think will be occupied by more technically capable players like Zirkzee or Mount. £25 million is fair value and substantially boosts our transfer kitty since he is an academy graduate.

Sell and use money for the DM role he cannot play. I'd love a big pay day but take anything 'decent'. Really like the guy but does not fit with what we are trying to achieve.

If a player is not good enough to make the 1st team regularly, then he's not good enough to be in the squad. thats the difference between top teams and everyone else.

Yep. People love to talk about him being "useful" but what top team employs such a limited player regularly? He's useful for a mid table club in that box crashing role, but any good side doesn't even have a use for that type of player as opposed to an actual capable midfielder.

People like Gallagher and Mount who don't affect games nearly as much as McTominay have been going for upwards of £40m. We need to take advantage of the good rep he has thanks to his goalscoring for us and exploits for Scotland.

The only reason it's even possible to say that about Mount is because he's injured. I don't imagine we signed him with the knowledge he would be out all season.

Should have been sold years ago. He scored plenty last year (and when we really needed someone to score) but he only solves a problem he creates which is a complete lack of control in midfield.

I maintain that we should have kept Fred and sold McTominay, we'd have finished higher in the league because our overall play would have improved.

He was deployed in a more advanced role last season, which I think will be occupied by more technically capable players like Zirkzee or Mount. £25 million is fair value and substantially boosts our transfer kitty since he is an academy graduate.
McTominay gives us something different arially though. Zirkzee is well shit in the air.

So no concrete link reported then? We’re doing this off the strength of ‘rumours’. Hmm… :rolleyes::confused:

Galatasaray vice-chairman Ibrahim Hatipoglu has said discussions are ongoing about a move for McTominay. The Turkish outfit are also interested in Spurs midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg but Hatipoglu has dismissed talk of a move for right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka, who United chiefs are also keen to offload this summer.

"McTominay's transfer fee is being discussed," Hatipoglu said, as quoted by Haber Sarı Kırmızı. "Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg is a good player, he has many suitors, he wants to see all options.

We should keep him, great squad option, great pro too.

He should be sold. Urgently. If this new regime of ‘football people’ think we should be rejecting bids for him this summer on the basis of him being an important member of the squad then they receive a vote of no confidence from me as early as this summer. Would be already clear that they are not taking us in the direction we need to be going in.

If a player is not good enough to make the 1st team regularly, then he's not good enough to be in the squad. That's the difference between top teams and everyone else.

Yes and no...

Running a real team is not like FIFA. Players care whether they play or not. It is hard stocking your bench and rotating perfectly enough to keep everyone happy.

Successful clubs always have the John O'Shea... players who are squad players. Who will be content to NOT start and then come on and work thair arses off when they do get playing time. Heck O'Shea played goalie one day for us. He would do anything that was asked and that is the part that is vital; to the team: Not starting and still giving everything for the badge. Does that make sense?

So my point is if McT is content to be a United player and come off the bench I would happily take that. He comes on and works his arse off and gives his all for the team. Those players are rare and I would keep him if he wants to stay.

Thanks for listening :)

I find people harsh on McT in those Caf discussions. Not in the sense that we should keep him : As some others said, it's absolutely the best time to sell him for a decent fee if that comes in.

But the man contributed last year, came through the academy and has been part of the team since, racked up a notable number of appearances for United (more than Nani, RVN, Cantona...). So good sailing to him if he finds a club where he can start and get better wages.

My guess is that you won't get more than about £15-20m for him. He won't be attractive enough for any of the top eight (putting Villa and Newcastle in that group) and the few midtable sides possibly willing to spend £25-30m on a 27/28 year old player have managers like Lopetegui, Silva, and Glassner that aren't going to prioritize an 8/10 midfielder so limited in possession. Other sides (Brighton, Brentford, Bournemouth, Wolves) are smart enough only to spend big on players with genuine resale value or have enough financial issues they will be looking in cheaper brackets (Everton, Forest, Leicester).

I think he's still worth moving on even for £15-20m. Sometimes to change the identity of the squad you just have to move players out even if you aren't happy with the fee.

Pure personal speculation but if Atalanta signs Matt O'Riley, don't you think Celtic would try to bring Scotland's most famous player as his successor? They also share the same positions albeit having different styles. (Unless he's a Rangers fan)

For the right money, I would sell,

But right now, I'd much rather this guy coming on as a sub over Eriksen and Casemiro.
Good squad option to be honest, but if we can improve then I'm fine with it

Keep as a utility man as long as we can, he's probably underrated at this point.

Can't see them paying enough in either transfer fee or wages. He's easily worth 25 Million + and you have to factor in he's probably on about 70-80k a week and will be looking for a nice bumper contract with him being 27 (28 in Dec)

I think it will be a West Ham/Fulham if he goes.

Scott is on 60k that's very affordable for most epl clubs. 25m+ easily .

For all of the dreamers here saying we should get £30-40m: which club(s) do you think will spend that kind of money on him?

Only prem teams or Saudi have money. I don't think any of the top 6-8 would have him. The bottom 5-6 won't pay that kind of fee. That leaves a handful of teams around mid table.

David Moyes is no longer in the Prem, so who's gonna take him for that kind of fee?

If he is ever on the pitch for us, it’s a band aid. There’s no vision attached to it, nothing more than trying to get us through that particular 90 mins. Which is what we need to start moving away from. It’s not about the cliché of taking football one game at a time, or take each game as they come. Stop viewing games as individual entities and view them as part of the necessary journey to develop ourselves into the team we are needing to become. Playing Scott, even if he gets us points in any given game, is delaying the journey - a journey we should have been on years ago yet McTominay has probably started as many games, if not the most, out of any Manchester United centre midfielder in the last 5 or 6 years. Now while a winning goal may have felt good at the time, it ultimately took us nowhere of course, now imagine looking back at all those years and realising the team hasn’t been moving forward at all.

It would have been better to ‘invest’ games in a different player who will ultimately take us towards our vision. Even if he didn’t positively impact the result in a given game in 2018, the picture needs to be bigger than the next 90mins. From what I read, that is the whole point of these Technical Director people that fans have been pining for for years, so I’d be very disappointed if Wilcox doesn’t want Scott out, and would question if he has a vision at all beyond hopefully nicking 3 points at the weekend because that is the only purpose Scott serves - although we also know that he’s obviously not going to nick enough points for us to win major silverware so why even persist with it from now? Think about what WILL get us there, and invest those games in that direction. We are better off finishing 6th with players who play in a manner we think will eventually see us to 1st, otherwise we are simply just treading water. Get rid.

Yes and no...

Running a real team is not like FIFA. Players care whether they play or not. It is hard stocking your bench and rotating perfectly enough to keep everyone happy.

Successful clubs always have the John O'Shea... players who are squad players. Who will be content to NOT start and then come on and work thair arses off when they do get playing time. Heck O'Shea played goalie one day for us. He would do anything that was asked and that is the part that is vital; to the team: Not starting and still giving everything for the badge. Does that make sense?

So my point is if McT is content to be a United player and come off the bench I would happily take that. He comes on and works his arse off and gives his all for the team. Those players are rare and I would keep him if he wants to stay.

Thanks for listening :)
All fair points apart from the elephant in the room..McTom just doesn't have the skillset to play as midfielder for a top club, the comparison with O'Shea is off, as he was a more gifted footballer

He's basically Cleverley MkII but with better finishing.

I agree that if we can get £25m+, we should move him on.

He's basically Cleverley MkII but with better finishing.

I agree that if we can get £25m+, we should move him on.

And nothing like Cleverley in any other way either tbf.

All fair points apart from the elephant in the room..McTom just doesn't have the skillset to play as midfielder for a top club, the comparison with O'Shea is off, as he was a more gifted footballer

O'Shea was not a gifted footballer. He was a good defender and a great lad but a gifted footballer he was not. I'm all for selling McTominay if we can get a good fee but what is with these weird comparisons?

Love his dedication to the club but the only role for him at this level is human wrecking ball off the bench for 15-20 mins. For a mid table club he could score 10+ goals from midfield and be an absolute hero for them and the difference in staying away from relegation, Kevin Nolan esque. Should go and try out something new in his prime I think, for 15-20m.

I'm sorry. You need to go and look at O'Shea on YouTube a little. There is a great video of all the goals and assists he had in a united shirt - go look it up.

All the goals and assists were a bonus. He was played in any of 4 or 5 different positions across the back line or midfield and fergie always trusted him to be solid and give him a 7/10 or better performance each game. He was often used like Park was later as the key man in a setup for big games.

To say O'Shea wasn't a good footballer is so disingenuous. I'd have him in my squad over Scott every day of the week.

PS. I think the likeness to Peter Kaye puts people off

he can't defend worth a damn so might as well sell him and use the money for FFP to invest in a player that can do the job next to Kobbie

If we get anything near what West Ham offered last year, we MUST sell him.

Status
Not open for further replies.