McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he stays as a very valuable squad member who doesn’t moan if he doesn’t play enough. Also do we have enough homegrown quota to fill especially after AWB is leaving?

£40m for McTominay is a pipe dream. Even our own club values him around £30m - a value which literally no other club is interested in. And yet were all delusional. Righto.

I think he stays as a very valuable squad member who doesn’t moan if he doesn’t play enough. Also do we have enough homegrown quota to fill especially after AWB is leaving?

We need to rebuild that midfield and with no signs of Casemiro leaving we need to sell someone

Trust the smart people we have hired, that's why none of you are DOFs negotiating deals. Anyone who thinks he isn't worth £40M is delusional. His benchmarks across midfielders in top 5 leagues:

99th percentile in scoring
90th touches (penalty box)
50th assists
86th aerial's
79th blocks
94th clearance

He scores more than most midfielders, passes average, dominates headers, positions himself well, and high amount of defensive actions.

His closest premier league comp? Well Sean Longstaff is a poor man's Mctominay. How much were we quoted? I believe £50M. Based on that £40M is steal.
Anyone with eyes can tell he’s not a midfielder.

We hold all the cards here. Only sell if valuation is met.

We really don’t. We’re not in a great financial position for buying and so need to sell to get the reinforcements we need. He’s also approaching the last year of his contract so this is the last summer we’ll get anything decent for him unless we extend (which is the last thing we should be doing).

There is supposed to be recruitment meeting today so maybe will have a better idea after then

Who knows what he’s being told behind the scenes but you’d like to think the new management team have informed him he won’t be getting much playing time this season. Hopefully the same has been said to Maguire and Lindelof.

Anyone with eyes can tell he’s not a midfielder.
No one is saying he's a classic good. All I'm saying is he's a very effective role player and replacing him will cost us at least £40M so it's dumb to sell him for less.

The roaming CM role McT plays for us is very effective (7 goals from rotation level CM position - which is amazing) because it's unique and hard to counter given his unique combo of physicality/ball carrying/finishing. He's a great squad player to have.

No one is arguing that he should start every week. It's clear we need another more traditional 6/8 to fill starter depth given Casemiro's age. All I'm saying is the better decision here is to sacrifice depth with less valuable players or simply stay patient in filling this role for another transfer window. Making suboptimal decision due to desperation is why our squad looks like shit despite having spend more on net transfer than 99% of the other clubs.

I'd extend McT as long as he accepts reasonable wages and find another way to upgrade on Casemiro.

Who knows what he’s being told behind the scenes but you’d like to think the new management team have informed him he won’t be getting much playing time this season. Hopefully the same has been said to Maguire and Lindelof.

It's important that Harry, Victor and Scott be advised that they will not be playing much this season in the event they block all pending transfers. It more or less worked out in our favor last season that we could call on them, as we had to, but the ship is about the leave the dock.

he's a very effective role player and replacing him will cost us at least £40M so it's dumb to sell him for less.
We essentially have replaced him via Bruno, Mount and Mainoo. We need to sign someone who can cover/compete with Mainoo and a DM. McTominay is none of those things and is therefore not needed.

No one is saying he's a classic good. All I'm saying is he's a very effective role player and replacing him will cost us at least £40M so it's dumb to sell him for less.

The roaming CM role McT plays for us is very effective (7 goals from rotation level CM position - which is amazing) because it's unique and hard to counter given his unique combo of physicality/ball carrying/finishing. He's a great squad player to have.

No one is arguing that he should start every week. It's clear we need another more traditional 6/8 to fill starter depth given Casemiro's age. All I'm saying is the better decision here is to sacrifice depth with less valuable players or simply stay patient in filling this role for another transfer window. Making suboptimal decision due to desperation is why our squad looks like shit despite having spend more on net transfer than 99% of the other clubs.

I'd extend McT as long as he accepts reasonable wages and find another way to upgrade on Casemiro.
The roaming CM role he plays may help him pop up with a few goals a season, but it is to the detriment to the rest of the team. His number of touches per 90 is so low when compared to other United midfielders and we therefore struggle to have any control in matches because he rarely shows for the ball in midfield.

He scored 1 PL goal in 22/23, as his gametime was limited during Ten Hag's first season. And we finished 3rd, which is proof that we don't need Mctominay's goals.

Every time this tread is bumped I get a little excited that he might finally be leaving.

Wont even start for Coventry. I don’t see why the comparison with Conor is even there. They are both bad? Yes. Do we have to rip off another team like Chelsea did to Atletico Madrid? No, we should sell him the way we see fit.

He didn't play as a central midfielder last season. He played as an out-and-out attacking midfielder, often higher than Bruno. As such his goal tally was hardly 'amazing'.

It's also worth noting that it appears we're going back to only one attacking midfielder this season, so that position won't be available for Scott to play in unless Bruno isn't playing or is moved to a different position. Even then, we've started the season with Mount obviously ahead of Scott for that role. As for when he plays in one of the deeper positions, he's never scored more than 4 league goals in a season before.

Can't risk big Scotty scoring against us opening game of the season...

Wonder if we're waiting for the Fulham fixture to pass, then we'll accept the £20m (plus add ons maybe).

He was effectively a supporting striker with how far upfront he played and contributed nothing in midfield. If he was scoring 20+ goals, he can get away with it.

He's not an effective role player. The fact is he is no where near United level, even as a substitute and does not fit into Ten Hags style of play whatsoever. He is extremely limited in everything he does.
If United want to be back challenging for top four these passengers have to go. I'm not even talking champions league or premier leagues, I'm talking about getting top four that these passengers need to go!!!
AWB is finally gone and a few more need to go like Maguire, Eriksen, Lindelof. We need a strong starting 11 without three or four passengers in it and also a strong bench. If we have to sell him for 15 million to get the Ugarte deal through its a no brainer. He's one of these players that might get rated an 8 every 15 games when you need to be consistent every game and that's why we don't get champions league every season. Just get rid.

We essentially have replaced him via Bruno, Mount and Mainoo. We need to sign someone who can cover/compete with Mainoo and a DM. McTominay is none of those things and is therefore not needed.
I don't think any of those players replace the type of scoring threat McT brings.

There is a reason physical attackers are at such a premium right now in the EPL. With teams pushing for more pacy, passing CBs they are compromising on physicality. This is why City went for Halaand, Arsenal signed Havertz, Tottenham signed Solanke, and why our striker profiles have been Hojlund/Zirkee.

Mount was the dumbest signing we made as it was much more important to back up an aging Casemiro than provide cover for Bruno who's a machine. If you take Mount out our team is still better with McT in it. Just look at last season. There really isn't a role for Mount unless Bruno's down. Which is never. So much better off selling Mount if we are desperate for cash (which we are not).

Also for those wishing McTominay out. We could save 13M/yr (pounds) getting rid of Mount in salary alone. He earns 8% of our entire wage bill to be a backup? We can afford Ugarte just as easily as selling Mount for 0. Tell me which player you would rather have as a backup. Mount or McT... Combined Case/Mount make up 20% of our wage bill but neither is a quality starter at this stage. This is the true issue in our midfield squad management if you want to complain about something, let it be that.

Also for those wishing McTominay out. We could save 13M/yr (pounds) getting rid of Mount in salary alone. He earns 8% of our entire wage bill to be a backup? We can afford Ugarte just as easily as selling Mount for 0. Tell me which player you would rather have as a backup. Mount or McT... Combined Case/Mount make up 20% of our wage bill but neither is a quality starter at this stage. This is the true issue in our midfield squad management if you want to complain about something, let it be that.

Mount, obviously. It would be pretty absurd to think McTominay is the better footballer of the two. And that's without getting into Mount being younger and more versatile.

I don't think any of those players replace the type of scoring threat McT brings.

There is a reason physical attackers are at such a premium right now in the EPL. With teams pushing for more pacy, passing CBs they are compromising on physicality. This is why City went for Halaand, Arsenal signed Havertz, Tottenham signed Solanke, and why our striker profiles have been Hojlund/Zirkee.

Mount was the dumbest signing we made as it was much more important to back up an aging Casemiro than provide cover for Bruno who's a machine. If you take Mount out our team is still better with McT in it. Just look at last season. There really isn't a role for Mount unless Bruno's down. Which is never. So much better off selling Mount if we are desperate for cash (which we are not).

Only 19 goals in 176 appearances. And the best scoring season he had coincided with some of the worst attacking play we’ve seen from Utd in years, and one of our lowest ever scoring seasons. Limited players like him who won’t show for the ball and don’t have the touch or passing range for creative or smart attacking interplay is part of the reason for that. We have to be setting our sights higher than McTominay occasionally getting on the end of a loose ball near the box.

Not a single club on the planet seems to think he’s such an irresistible attacking force he’s even worth a £25 million bid right now. You were claiming he’s worth £40 million despite the fact that no one else in the football world seems to agree with you. If physical attacking players are at such a premium and Scott is so effective, then where are the bids?

Who fits the bill for those two roles?
I'd be looking to bring in Angel Gomes as cover/competition for Mainoo. Last year of contract, homegrown and has many of the attributes that Mainoo does.

For the DM role, long term perhaps Wharton. Though if we can bring Ugarte in this window, that will do for now.

Not a single club on the planet seems to think he’s such an irresistible attacking force he’s even worth a £25 million bid right now. You were claiming he’s worth £40 million despite the fact that no one else in the football world seems to agree with you. If physical attacking players are at such a premium and Scott is so effective, then where are the bids?

That's not necessarily a total counterargument but the number of clubs that can afford spending 25-40m£ on a single transfer is not that large. I would imagine that PL clubs are maybe 1/2 or 1/3 of that cohort. A quick glance at Transfermarkt and it seems so far in the window there's only 30~ transfers for 30m€ or more.

We did receive bids for him, last summer supposedly from West Ham somewhere around 30m and this year the Fulham bids and also from Galatasaray IIRC. The Turkish offers obviously lower than anything an English club could afford but on the scale of their own ladder it was fairly respectable.

There is some modest interest for him and that's more we can conclusively say than for many others currently in the squad.

Scott McTominay‘s future is up in the air, and may not be resolved until the final fortnight of the window. Ten Hag spoke glowingly of McTominay’s qualities during United’s U.S. tour, but he is one of the most saleable assets and the club are thought to be open to accepting in the region of £25million.

Fulham retain interest after bidding unsuccessfully so far, but Napoli are also weighing up an approach. Everton, Brentford, Galatasaray and Fenerbahce have all made enquiries. It is said McTominay will only move for the right club.
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/56...l-madrid-barcelona/?source=emp_shared_article

Very few on this forum wanted Mount. It was an incredibly poor transfer but that doesn't mean we bury our head in the sand with McTominay.

That's not necessarily a total counterargument but the number of clubs that can afford spending 25-40m£ on a single transfer is not that large. I would imagine that PL clubs are maybe 1/2 or 1/3 of that cohort. A quick glance at Transfermarkt and it seems so far in the window there's only 30~ transfers for 30m€ or more.

We did receive bids for him, last summer supposedly from West Ham somewhere around 30m and this year the Fulham bids and also from Galatasaray IIRC. The Turkish offers obviously lower than anything an English club could afford but on the scale of their own ladder it was fairly respectable.

There is some modest interest for him and that's more we can conclusively say than for many others currently in the squad.
Yes because the only clubs that would be interested in him are smaller, lesser clubs like Fulham and West Ham. And that interest is pretty halfhearted. Again that speaks volumes to his utter lack of quality. If you’re happy languishing in 8th he’s your man. If you think Manchester United should be challenging for the Premiership and a regular in the top four then he has no place here.

The amount of times I’ve seen him get the ball in space in the 10 position, and I just know he isn’t going to be able to release the right pass. Even he knows, and he rarely even tries to release it, he keeps running with the ball and either shoots, or only passes to the player when he’s pretty much right next to him (having run the ball over to him rather than try to pass it to him 10/15 yards ago) by which time the initiative is gone.

When the margins are tight, we cannot have Scott McTominay as the player we have picking up the ball in front of an opponent’s defence. I still remember that situation away at Galatasaray last season where he should have just slipped Martial in and he just kept running and running. He has become a centre forward now it seems, and as a result, leaves us with 2 midfielders instead of 3. Get rid.

I'd be looking to bring in Angel Gomes as cover/competition for Mainoo. Last year of contract, homegrown and has many of the attributes that Mainoo does.

For the DM role, long term perhaps Wharton. Though if we can bring Ugarte in this window, that will do for now.

Can't see Gomes returning to the club, however would imagine we will be in for Wharton next summer

Valid points - but from a purely footballing perspective I still wouldn't sell Mount or Casemiro over McT. We finally have a clear vision with regards to squad building and the system we want to play - and McT doesn't fit. Mount is the better utility player and can slot in the wing, 10 or 8 positions.

In an ideal world we also keep homegrown McT as our Fellaini when chasing a game, but not at the expense of bringing in a far better player who could potentially be a starter (Ugarte).

If Mount fails to perform he'll be the next to go next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.