McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turning down £20m for Scott seems a bizarre decision to me, particularly if it’s correct that we need the player sales to get new recruits in. We aren’t going to get more for him next season and he’s not going to be a key player this season (hopefully). We have to be sensible here.

Turning down £20m for Scott seems a bizarre decision to me, particularly if it’s correct that we need the player sales to get new recruits in. We aren’t going to get more for him next season and he’s not going to be a key player this season (hopefully). We have to be sensible here.
Spot on. Apparently…
Last year we wanted 40. Offered 30
This year we want 30. Offered 20

Where does it end?
Next year we’ll want 20 and probably get offered 10!

Just take the higher vale now and we can all move on from this player that takes up way too much of my head space.

Is he objectively the worst player to have made 250+ appearances for us?

And how far could you drop that number for it to still be true?

200+?
150+?
100+?
He's no worse than Lindelof who is at 258.

200+?
150+?
100+?
Not even close for me. And I don’t think he’s been helped by being played so much as a DM when he isn’t one. He's also won us a lot of points whether you accept that or not

Lindelof is much worse

I don't think its a bizarre decision. INEOS have had a difficult start to Manchester United management. I think they have already given up trying to salvage anything from this transfer window. What does 20 mil do in terms of our needs? we won't buy any meaningful replacement with this sort of money.

I don't think its a bizarre decision. INEOS have had a difficult start to Manchester United management. I think they have already given up trying to salvage anything from this transfer window. What does 20 mil do in terms of our needs? we won't buy any meaningful replacement with this sort of money.
What do you mean “given up”?

There plenty more to be done this window yet

There plenty more to be done this window yet
I think there is but I don’t think we can be under any illusion that this summer will end how any of us or INEOS would have ideally liked it to. We are still going to have holes and a lack of quality going into this coming season.

Much of that out of INEOS’s control

For 20m they could bring in Rabiot on free Ugarte on loan or buy the likes of Fofana. But they need money coming in to make that happen

He'll end up leaving on a free in two seasons or for pennies next season. We'll then have to look back at the 30 million or 20 million and realise we spent a fortune keeping him here.

He's two years left on his contract before he can go on a free. Is he worth 10 million a season?

Take the money and put it towards someone that we actually value.

20m for a year left on a contract for him is a decent deal in my opinion. We could've used the money towards a better player, maybe we'd like to keep him however, new contract?

I understand failing to sell Casemiro/Sancho/Antony.

I dont understand struggling to sell AWB/McT who are on relatively low wages.

If we don’t sign another midfielder then I’m afraid that yes he will be a key player for us this season. Expect to see him a lot, once again.

If we don’t sign another midfielder then I’m afraid that yes he will be a key player for us this season. Expect to see him a lot, once again.
Yep if he stays which seems likely, he will be featuring regularly as a starter and a key midfielder. 8th place beckons again.

I understand failing to sell Casemiro/Sancho/Antony.

I dont understand struggling to sell AWB/McT who are on relatively low wages.
Maybe we have a bit of common sense and don't want to sell useful players at any price? I think McT and AWB are useful squad players, Casemiro and Antony are a handicap.

Maybe we have a bit of common sense and don't want to sell useful players at any price? I think McT and AWB are useful squad players, Casemiro and Antony are a handicap.
Understand the ramification of not selling AWB and McT are that we will not be buying any FB or midfielder this season most likely.

Mishandling from the club and specifically INEOS over the fee

I thought we could have squeezed a little more than 20m myself, but I guess not. This'll likely mean we'll trigger the extra year around December to preserve his modest value and hope we can sell him next summer. Problem with that is what we have now just seen with AWB, he'll want a decent payoff and we'll be no better off really.

Hope Fulham come back even with a minor improvement and INEOS can save face and ship him out.

Understand the ramification of not selling AWB and McT are that we will not be buying any FB or midfielder this season most likely.
I understand that too, but personally I think it's maybe for the better if we are to waste the money on Berge and Mazraoui. I think bigger problems are the big wages guys like Casemiro and Antony, but we are guessing here. One of the reason I am guessing that is the Rabiot transfer for example, why not do it 2 weeks ago? No fee just sign on bonus and wages.

I understand that too, but personally I think it's maybe for the better if we are to waste the money on Berge and Mazraoui. I think bigger problems are the big wages guys like Casemiro and Antony, but we are guessing here. One of the reason I am guessing that is the Rabiot transfer for example, why not do it 2 weeks ago? No fee just sign on bonus and wages.
I disagree on Mazraoui(injury record is a red flag though I agree), and thats why I believe we should target a better midfielder than Berge.

You're probably right and I'm sure the club know it all too well, with time in the Window I suspect they feel they can get closer to that. It's whether they've learned from past experience i.e. there comes a point where a fight over price isn't worth letting it go late and our targets moving to other clubs. Time will tell.
Yeah agree.
After Yoro's and Højlund's injuries we need more players in and nothing is happening. We need a number 6 badly and a CB and a backup that can play LB/RB.

Yet I still expect him to be a prominent figure in the side when we're searching for goals.
Which probably sums up everything about the state of the team.

It's not your choice though.
I'd say if we got a minimal bid for Eriksen he'd be gone. Scott has a value to the team and the squad and is more useful, so why are people upset at the club wanting more money?
It's not your choice to say that Eriksen would be gone for a minimal bid.

He would be amazing in Scotland and sell a ton of jerseys for one of the old firm. Surely we could get more than 20M for him….

With 1 week to go before the season starts it's becoming clear that INEOS are still finding their feet in the transfer market.

If I was the manager and only saw Zirkzee and Yoro arriving during the summer I'd be a little concerned.

The later in the window it gets the more reluctant I would be to lose McTom (even with all his flaws)

To be fair, ETH is quite fortunate to still be in his role but, yes, its quite underwhelming so far.

He's easily worth £40M given his goal scoring and versatility. Don't be desperate as fans. That's half the problem. If no one is giving us good deals move on. To be successfully run as a club you need to have multiple options so you're not taken advantage off.

He was the difference between top half and bottom half finish last year so unless the replacement adds more value...

Eriksen and Donny were the biggest issues. They've tried to sell got rid of 1. Casemiro can be decent as long as we don't play him 45 games a season at his age and move him around positions. We have the cash to spend without selling.

So you can sell him for £20mil now, or wait a year, extend his contract and then the player may potentially be owed up to 50% of whatever you sell him for.

New regime has its head firmly up it's arse as much as the old one if they don't pull the trigger this year.

He's easily worth £40M given his goal scoring and versatility. Don't be desperate as fans. That's half the problem. If no one is giving us good deals move on. To be successfully run as a club you need to have multiple options so you're not taken advantage off.

He was the difference between top half and bottom half finish last year so unless the replacement adds more value...

Eriksen and Donny were the biggest issues. They've tried to sell got rid of 1. Casemiro can be decent as long as we don't play him 45 games a season at his age and move him around positions. We have the cash to spend without selling.

How is he versatile? He can't run with the ball, his passing is not great, he's horrible under pressure and he's not great as a DM either.

200+?
150+?
100+?
He is objectively the worst player who ever played for us.
Bebe, Gibson and Taibi included.

How is he versatile? He can't run with the ball, his passing is not great, he's horrible under pressure and he's not great as a DM either.

What they meant is that McT is equally bad in a number of positions, and not just one.

Personally, I think he's one of the least versatile players in the entirety of PL, and I'm including goalkeepers.

Their whole strategy was based on money raised through sales. I don't think its going according to the plan.
No, obviously it hasn't. But I doubt that they just sighed and went home.
There's still time to rectify this, but currently it's a shambles.

He would be amazing in Scotland and sell a ton of jerseys for one of the old firm. Surely we could get more than 20M for him….

Would he? I don’t think he’d be amazing because he’s just not a very good footballer, and the pressure would be right on him. He’d look pretty much the same. He’d score a few goals. None of the Old Firm would go near that money.

He's easily worth £40M given his goal scoring and versatility.

The most goals he's ever scored in a league season is 7, which he managed once. His next best tally was 4. And the most assists he's ever got in a league season is 1. This from a player who turns 28 years old this year.

I don't know what McTominay is worth, but if I was a Fulham fan I sure as shit wouldn't want us paying £40m for a "goalscorer" with that goalscoring record.

If the finances for transfers as are tight as they look to be, giving up on 10m£ is maybe a big ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.