McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a broken record I know, but we received an offer of £30m for both Maguire and Mctominay last summer and they're both still playing for us.

The sheer incompetence of it all astounds me. And I'm convinced we could have squeezed out a little more from West Ham than the £30m on offer for Mctominay, we just scared them away completely by deluding ourselves he was worth anywhere near £45m.
So you’re blaming the people who are in charge now for what happened prior to them being in situ? Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds?

Still a long time left in the window yet. This is just negotiation from both sides. I suspect they'll back with a slightly improved offer which we will probably accept.

Does anyone know McTominay's stance on this saga? Does he want to stay as a squad player at United, or does he want to pursue a career as a starter at another club?

I think 20 million sounds a little short of what most would value him at, but the fact that there are so few interested clubs should speak loudly enough. There are no top 6 clubs looking for him. There are no top 10 clubs even. I would've imagined West Ham being interested, and it would've greatly benefited United if there were more PL clubs interested in him.

The problem is the type of player he is. He isn't a DM, but nor is he a 10 as he lacks creativity, vision, technique, short passing and agility for that position. He's arguably best as an attacking 8 where he can use his physique and stamina, getting into the box etc, but he is quite limited as a midfielder. Going to a different club, I would imagine him not being content being a squad player as he's gotten too many minutes as one at Manchester United, so why go to West Ham or Tottenham to be an impact player.

Still a long time left in the window yet. This is just negotiation from both sides. I suspect they'll back with a slightly improved offer which we will probably accept.
I suspect he’ll be stinking it up for yet another season.

For a second summer window in a row, the club overplays its hand regarding McTominay. He is worth what someone is willing to pay for him, and buyers aren't exactly lining up. £20M might be a bit on the low side but it beats having him next summer. Or, God forbid, offering him a new contract. Which is what will probably happen in the end. The mere fact he has survived for so long at this club tells a story.

Let's hope he keeps scoring next season because he is a complete liability otherwise, in a zone of the pitch that's already very weak.

20M was on the lower side of things, hope we get a better offer. Otherwise I can see us not buying any midfielder this season, which would mean our season is done and dusted in August.

His goals were worth 15 points, and winning the quarter and semi final matches of the fa cup... He kept ETH in a job so that is against him, but to say he is terrible is plain stupid, he just isn't the footballer we want him to be,
Plain stupid for me, or rather someone whose football opinion I'd call stupid, is one who watches McTominay play and scoring a couple of goals here and there, and then thinking that he can't be terrible at football.

At this point you have to accept the loss and move on. He’s an academy player with a year left. That’s full profit. If you don’t sell him you have to offer him a new contract.

We aren’t. Coming from a position of historical selling strength like a Chelsea.

Remove the deadwood. Get smart deals over the line and bring the position of power in next summers window.

Plain stupid for me, or rather someone whose football opinion I'd call stupid, is one who watches McTominay play and scoring a couple of goals here and there, and then thinking that he can't be terrible at football.
Hyperbole doesn't make a point. It does the opposite.

He's absolutely not "terrible at football".

And this is the problem with football discourse, everyone has to be one extreme or the other, people get very dogmatic about their opinion and so you get this constant cycle of nothing conversation because people just sit in extremes and nothing useful is ever actually said.

Hes a good footballer. A very good footballer. You literally don't play in the prem if you aren't.

Theres a huge chasm between not being good enough for a team that wants to challenge at the top end of the OK (the most competitive league on the planet) and being "terrible".

If you can't see Scott's qualities as a player in general and label him as a "terrible football player" then I have no idea why you'd ever expect to be taken seriously.

It's just huff and puff and you're just as ridiculous as someone claiming he can or will be a pivotal player for a title winning team.

Both of you are morons. Stop being so hyperbolic and emotional, meet in the middle and have a reasonable, sensible discussion.

Should we sell him? Yes.

Should we sell him at any price because he's a "complete liability"? No, that's fecking stupid.

I wonder how much impact our fans being so incredibly negative and distasteful towards our own players actually have?

This fan base regularly publicises to the world that our players are terrible, that they would drive to the airport themselves, that they need to be gotten rid of at any cost because they are absolute liabilities. They then also moan that nobody want to pay money.

If you're selling your house and your wife and kids regularly post about what a shit show it is, how it's falling apart, how you'd rather live in a hostel etc, do you think that makes your position in selling stronger or weaker?
Laugh at arsenal fans for gassing up their players but maybe there's a reason they get 34 mill for Smith Rowe and we struggle to get 20 for a far more experienced player....

And this is the problem with football discourse, everyone has to be one extreme or the other, people get very dogmatic about their opinion and so you get this constant cycle of nothing conversation because people just sit in extremes and nothing useful is ever actually said.

Hes a good footballer. A very good footballer. You literally don't play in the prem if you aren't.

Theres a huge chasm between not being good enough for a team that wants to challenge at the top end of the OK (the most competitive league on the planet) and being "terrible".

If you can't see Scott's qualities as a player in general and label him as a "terrible football player" then I have no idea why you'd ever expect to be taken seriously.

It's just huff and puff and you're just as ridiculous as someone claiming he can or will be a pivotal player for a title winning team.

Both of you are morons. Stop being so hyperbolic and emotional, meet in the middle and have a reasonable, sensible discussion.

Should we sell him? Yes.

Should we sell him at any price because he's a "complete liability"? No, that's fecking stupid.

I wonder how much impact our fans being so incredibly negative and distasteful towards our own players actually have?

This fan base regularly publicises to the world that our players are terrible, that they would drive to the airport themselves, that they need to be gotten rid of at any cost because they are absolute liabilities. They then also moan that nobody want to pay money.

If you're selling your house and your wife and kids regularly post about what a shit show it is, how it's falling apart, how you'd rather live in a hostel etc, do you think that makes your position in selling stronger or weaker?
Laugh at arsenal fans for gassing up their players but maybe there's a reason they get 34 mill for Smith Rowe and we struggle to get 20 for a far more experienced player....
Look if I were a United employee or a paid propagandist, then maybe I'd call McT a good footballer. Otherwise anyone being genuinely serious with that kind of view to me isn't worth a discussion on football. We simply have entirely different views of the game in that case, so you can ignore me and I'll happily do the same.

If McT is as good as many portray him to be then he'll be targeted by bigger clubs then Fulham and Turkish clubs

So you’re blaming the people who are in charge now for what happened prior to them being in situ? Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds?
No? I'm talking about last summer. Logically the people in charge last summer are responsible for what happened then. I didn't mention the current regime.

No? I'm talking about last summer. Logically the people in charge last summer are responsible for what happened then. I didn't mention the current regime.
They've all been removed and replaced though. So now there's a strong theme where people are complaining about an organisational structure that's no longer in place. So who are the 'we' you're complaining about? And how is it currently relevant?

So it looks like he is staying as Fulham wont pay what the club is asking for him.

It will be absolutely ridiculous If we give him a new contract now after trying to sell him 2 summers in a row.

All this with him is amateurish stuff really. We need money to invest on new signings, his fee is 100% profit and we are sticking with valuation (for squad player) which nobody wants to pay.

This guy will outlast everyone at United won’t he? I know he’s come up with key moments at times and will always offer a goal threat - it’s frustrating we didn’t accept that £35m Newcastle (or £40m I can’t remember) offer last year. Could have reinvested into our midfield already.

This guy needs to go. I’ve suffered enough. Of course, I celebrate when he scores a goal, but he has almost no top level midfield capabilities, and this has been recognised by Ten Hag, so he doesn’t even bother putting him in the middle anymore. He has no position and is just there to cause a nuisance.

The worst thing is he will almost certainly get a new contract if we don’t sell.

This guy will outlast everyone at United won’t he? I know he’s come up with key moments at times and will always offer a goal threat - it’s frustrating we didn’t accept that £35m Newcastle (or £40m I can’t remember) offer last year. Could have reinvested into our midfield already.
I said few years ago; this guy will end career here. Astonishing really.

The fact he's actually managed to score double digit PL goals in a season that too at a much younger than McTominay. He also managed it without being a complete handicap for his team while being on the pitch.

McTominay peaked last season - and his peak is 7 league goals, and no other contribution while being on the pitch. A Chicharito who scores 4-7 goals a season.
And hasn't hardly played In a season and a half.. Arteta hasn't even had him in at all.. if that's how it works McTominay should be £30 million plus on last season... alone..he's also a International that plays more time as well ESR is just a premium because he's English.

I’m now worried we won’t be able to sell him. We are stuck with him and maybe offer him a new contract. Rejoice.

I said few years ago; this guy will end career here. Astonishing really.
I’m also sure of that. He has survived how many managers now? Even when we are trying to sell him at last after 6-7 years we can’t. The guy could survive an apocalypse. He’s bound to finish his career here outlasting everyone. Absolutely mind boggling.

I would have sold him for 20 million.
It's not your choice though.
I'd say if we got a minimal bid for Eriksen he'd be gone. Scott has a value to the team and the squad and is more useful, so why are people upset at the club wanting more money?

They've all been removed and replaced though. So now there's a strong theme where people are complaining about an organisational structure that's no longer in place. So who are the 'we' you're complaining about? And how is it currently relevant?
I wasn't quite aware there was a rule of only talking about things that have happened in the last 5 minutes.

It's the Scott Mctominay transfer thread. The absurdity of the situation was mentioned, that we turned down £30m last summer because we valued him at 45m, and now we can't get anywhere near 30m this summer. I don't think there's anything abnormal about this on a discussion forum. It's relevant now because we're paying the price for bad decisions, like we're still paying the price for the absurd transfer fee and wages for Antony, Casemiro and Sancho, which also understandably still gets mentioned.

Any other PL would get 30+ million for Mctominay. Everyone wants to lowball United
You're probably right and I'm sure the club know it all too well, with time in the Window I suspect they feel they can get closer to that. It's whether they've learned from past experience i.e. there comes a point where a fight over price isn't worth letting it go late and our targets moving to other clubs. Time will tell.

Should we sell him? Yes.

I mostly agree with this. It’s always a bit depressing to read how our own fanbase abuses our players, whether that’s Maguire, Lindelof, McTominay, Fred, et al. When I criticize a player I try to frame it as they aren’t what we need or are not good enough for what we’re trying to do.

Is McT good enough for a title winning side? No. Is anyone in our squad? Also no. Is McT someone we took a punt on, splashed big money only for him to fizzle out, like Antony? No again. McT came through the academy, he’s a specific type of midfielder that had been played out of position almost constantly, which highlights his deficiencies. Him and Fred together were a disaster. When he is allowed to get forward, he has scored crucial goals.

250+ games for United and people here complain like he makes Fellaini look like Zidane. Ow he’s supposedly terrible at football and should be part of a fire sale. It’s ridiculous and more than a little insulting. I blame internet culture for making everyone come up with a hotter-than-thou take, hyperbole off the charts.

Should we sell him? Yes.

100% bang on!

It’s understandable following last season but it can’t exactly be a good motivator for the players either.

It’s no excuse though and to be fair to him McTominay has never given us anything but his best.

There are other examples though where you can see the impact the negativity has and where the levels noticeably drop.

Maguire looks like he’s come through it, let’s hope rashford and others can too.

Should we sell him? Yes.

What an utterly brilliant post this is. Well done that man!

This is the point I was trying to make originally but players are either WC or deadwood and there’s nothing in between these days. I’d like to think a discussion forum like this would have slightly more nuanced discussion than the social media abuse echo chamber.

Should we sell him? Yes.

a sensible post. And that’s coming from someone that has hammered McT…and will continue to do so.

I believe the problem you’re up against when trying to justify Scott, is that a lot of fans (me included) are comparing him to brilliant midfielders through the years who have been part of very successful teams. Ince, Keane, Butt, Scholes, Carrick, Hargreaves.

And unfortunately, whilst I agree he is a decent footballer (of course he has to be to play epl football) he is too far off the standards that this club expects and certainly isn’t the answer to take us back to where we want/need to be.

My problem with Scott, is that his limitations were glaringly obvious from his first season and like a great many before him and today, we persevere with him

Last edited:
Unfortunately he did not show the improvement that one might have hoped for over the last 3 or 4 years. Some players do from 23 or 24 on, others don't. It was worth persevering for a time to see what would happen but now it is clear that has reached a plateau.

Is he objectively the worst player to have made 250+ appearances for us?

And how far could you drop that number for it to still be true?

200+?
150+?
100+?

I’ve got to disagree with you. He’s mediocre by United standards maybe, but he’s not a mediocre player and can be of tremendous help to teams in the middle to lower half of the table. For instance, look at Andres Perreira. Completely underwhelming player for United but he’s been quietly doing quite well at Fulham. There’s no doubt in my mind that McTominay would have a similar impact at a team like Fulham where they’re not expected to win every game and the pressure is less intense.
Ok but if he really was able to be of tremendous help to mid and lower table teams then surly someone would be interested in buying him? There’s literally no interest in him of any seriousness it seems. That speaks volumes to his complete lack of quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.