McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
It just isn't. If the market is Smith Rowe and Conor Gallangher are going for 35 to 40mil anything below 25mil for Scott even with 1 year left is an insult.
Mate, no one is giving you what you want. I know you would like that but it’s not up to you and NO ONE is giving you that price. So what do you want then? Sell him for 5m less so that we can sign some players or Keeping him? Because no one else is in for him for that price you want and looks like Fulham have moved on. Now we aren’t going to sign anyone in that case rest assured. So once again, what do you want?

I would like to keep both Mctominay and AWB so that we can’t sign anyone and we start with the same team as last year. Maguire in CB and AWB as LB with Mctominay in the midfield. Then I want to see what all these posters have to say about the state of our team who are moaning about the price for mctominay being 5-7m less. What is more important right now?

Don’t think we want to sell him unless an offer we can’t refuse comes in. Every manager from Mourinho have all liked him
If he is really that highly rated by the club (which is a worry) then take him off the market and offer him a new contract.

Mate, no one is giving you what you want. I know you would like that but it’s not up to you and NO ONE is giving you that price. So what do you want then? Sell him for 5m less so that we can sign some players or Keeping him? Because no one else is in for him for that price you want and looks like Fulham have moved on. Now we aren’t going to sign anyone in that case rest assured. So once again, what do you want?

Exactly he’s worth what someone is willing to pay and that’s nothing like as much as people think. We saw last year West Ham were prepared to pay more for likes of Alvarez and Ward Prowse than they were for Mctominay.

Take the money and move on, our midfield just isn’t up to scratch and haggling for a few million is counter productive.

Don’t think we want to sell him unless an offer we can’t refuse comes in. Every manager from Mourinho have all liked him
And every manager since then has been sacked or hanging on by a thread.

Have no issue with people thinking we shouldn't sell McTominay for less than they value him.

But they have to be real and accept that that's what's being offered. And when next summer comes around, the offers will be significantly less again because he will be a year older and in the final year of his contract. And the year after that, he leaves for free.

And by not selling him, we immediately reduce our ability to buy.

So if you're advocating holding out to the point where we end up not selling him at all this summer, you have to be comfortable with those other outcomes occurring instead.

Madness that he is staying. He'll be a liability when he plays and with the way our midfield options are he will start matches for us. Horrifying to even think about.

He’s very clearly NOT terrible. He can be upgraded on, but he is important for United and Scotland and has been for years.
He very clearly is terrible. There’s a reason like last season that no other club is actually interested in signing him. If he’s so important for United and Scotland then why does literally no one else rate him? This is something his fan boys never answer. At his best he is an utterly mediocre footballer, at his worst he’s terrible. That’s why no one wants him.

20m is a low offer for McTominay.... the temptation is to let him go but we have to trust the new management to get the best deal for the club

we might need to have a tough summer to let teams know we are under different management and we won't be taken for a ride again in the market

this was never going to be a quick fix and if we are being run as a proper club we have to have boundaries in terms of the transfer market, contracts etc

Its still relatively early and he could and should still go I think
Won’t change anything and we’ll end up losing said players for free anyway. We have spent the last 3 years apparently turning down too low offers for players who don’t fit and its changed nothing

Have no issue with people thinking we shouldn't sell McTominay for less than they value him.

But they have to be real and accept that that's what's being offered. And when next summer comes around, the offers will be significantly less again because he will be a year older and in the final year of his contract. And the year after that, he leaves for free.

And by not selling him, we immediately reduce our ability to buy.

So if you're advocating holding out to the point where we end up not selling him at all this summer, you have to be comfortable with those other outcomes occurring instead.

And that's exactly what has already happened - the offer was £30m from West Ham last summer, and we turned that down holding out for £45m.

And now it's £20m.

United is still unprofessional run with idiots responsible. Players are signed with high transfer with huge wages and they are refusing to leave unless they are compensated or leave of free. We keep unwhelming United produced players well past their sell date. As long as our youngsters shows some promise, we will renew their contract with higher wages where they becomes difficult to move. How can this club run this way for so many years???

United is still unprofessional run with idiots responsible. Players are signed with high transfer with huge wages and they are refusing to leave unless they are compensated or leave of free. We keep unwhelming United produced players well past their sell date. As long as our youngsters shows some promise, we will renew their contract with higher wages where they becomes difficult to move. How can this club run this way for so many years???
INEOS have literally been in 6 months, what miracles did you expect them to perform?

He very clearly is terrible. There’s a reason like last season that no other club is actually interested in signing him. If he’s so important for United and Scotland then why does literally no one else rate him? This is something his fan boys never answer. At his best he is an utterly mediocre footballer, at his worst he’s terrible. That’s why no one wants him.
I’ve got to disagree with you. He’s mediocre by United standards maybe, but he’s not a mediocre player and can be of tremendous help to teams in the middle to lower half of the table. For instance, look at Andres Perreira. Completely underwhelming player for United but he’s been quietly doing quite well at Fulham. There’s no doubt in my mind that McTominay would have a similar impact at a team like Fulham where they’re not expected to win every game and the pressure is less intense.

And that's exactly what has already happened - the offer was £30m from West Ham last summer, and we turned that down holding out for £45m.

And now it's £20m.
I'm a broken record I know, but we received an offer of £30m for both Maguire and Mctominay last summer and they're both still playing for us.

The sheer incompetence of it all astounds me. And I'm convinced we could have squeezed out a little more from West Ham than the £30m on offer for Mctominay, we just scared them away completely by deluding ourselves he was worth anywhere near £45m.

INEOS have literally been in 6 months, what miracles did you expect them to perform?
The window isn’t even closed. A lot of these deals end up being closed towards the end of the window when negotiations have been completely exhausted.

I'm a broken record I know, but we received an offer of £30m for both Maguire and Mctominay last summer and they're both still playing for us.

The sheer incompetence of it all astounds me. And I'm convinced we could have squeezed out a little more from West Ham than the £30m on offer for Mctominay, we just scared them away completely by deluding ourselves he was worth anywhere near £45m.
We might have priced out a move for McT, but Harry never had any intention of leaving which is why he didn’t agree terms with the hammers and refused a transfer. The club had accepted the offer but the man has a contract of employment which the club is bound by!

Cool, second straight summer we hold out for an unrealistic transfer fee and end up stuck with McTominay for another year

We might have priced out a move for McT, but Harry never had any intention of leaving which is why he didn’t agree terms with the hammers and refused a transfer. The club had accepted the offer but the man has a contract of employment which the club is bound by!

Yeah the Maguire one was tough because of PSR. There was hardly any room to subsidise his wages and then also have something left over to get a replacement.

Turning down £30m for McTominay was mental though.

Does anyone actually believe Maguire would have chosen to play for our reserves for the final 2 years of his contract, over joining West Ham? Particularly with the Euros looming.

We lead him to believe that he still had a role in the first team should he choose to stay. And so he chose to stay.

We were not ruthless in telling him that he wasn't in our first team plans. Other more ruthless clubs would have forced him out, and if necessary come to an agreement on compensation that we could afford, and we'd almost certainly have got him out the door.

Does anyone actually believe Maguire would have chosen to play for our reserves for the final 2 years of his contract, over joining West Ham? Particularly with the Euros looming.

We lead him to believe that he still had a role in the first team should he choose to stay. And so he chose to stay.

We were not ruthless in telling him that he wasn't in our first team plans. Other more ruthless clubs would have forced him out, and if necessary come to an agreement on compensation that we could afford, and we'd almost certainly have got him out the door.
This - when we want players to leave we need to make it clear that "fight for your place" is no longer an option, instead of telling them we're happy to keep them if they don't want to leave.

In this specific case it actually turned out alright for us, as Maguire had a pretty good season and we had a ton of injuries at CB.

He’s very clearly NOT terrible. He can be upgraded on, but he is important for United and Scotland and has been for years.
Important to what?, finishing mid-table? finishing dead last at tournaments? What exactly is the "importance" doing for United or Scotland? The guy is only mildly useful in an extremely limited situation and if a team regularly finds itself in that situation then it is already very mediocre to begin with.

There is a reason that the same club that put down £35m all-in for a guy who barely played at Arsenal last 2 years does not want to go over £20m for the so-called "important" Mctominay. Football people aren't dumb.

Important to what?, finishing mid-table? finishing dead last at tournaments? What exactly is the "importance" doing for United or Scotland? The guy is only mildly useful in an extremely limited situation and if a team regularly finds itself in that situation then it is already very mediocre to begin with.

There is a reason that the same club that put down £35m all-in for a guy who barely played at Arsenal last 2 years does not want to go over £20m for the so-called "important" Mctominay. Football people aren't dumb.
Fulham paying 35m for ESR who has put in one decent season to his name three years ago having a ceiling of 20 for McTominay doesnt make much sense.....of course football people can be dumb too

Scott has scored nearly as many international goals as ESR has goals and the latter is considered an attacking midfielder. He brings a wealth of experience, leadership, physical presence etc...

I understand the frustration at people fearing losing a fee for McTominay but it's still early days. Expect clubs to be shopping in the next few weeks and more bids to be submitted.

this

we need to realize that we have a bunch of overrated players on silly salary who are heading towards the end of their contract. They have little incentive to leave in the first place. Add to the fact that we keep utilizing them for preseason and there's barely any reason for them to leave whatsoever.

See a lot of posts complaining that we don’t just accept the £20m and move on. We have set a price and expect it to be met, at the moment we have offers in for replacements and are facing the exact same issue with their clubs not accepting our offer. Bayern haven’t accepted the offer for De Ligt and Mazouri, PSG and Ugarte. It’s all part and parcel of negotiations and there’s still a few weeks of the window left to get deals done.

Hopefully we start the season strong and don’t then panic and overpay in the market but from the way Ineos have started off their tenure it doesn’t seem to be the way they will go about business.

If anyone needs blamed then it’s the previous regime for overpaying and handing out big contracts to players undeserving of them.

This is what I've been talking about for years, until we start forcing useless players out, the other players under contract would look at that and go "I need to work hard or else I'll be treated like that"
it's why I hate that we didn't stand on business with the Sancho situation, we could have just told him "nice you've apologized but sorry we won't need you, you either find a new club or you spend the entirety of your contract training and playing reserve team football".

The club should stop being nice, nice people never win, SAF and David Gill were only nice when they needed to be, but once a player crossed a line or wasn't good enough they kicked them out. If we ever want to be top dogs again we need to be ruthless and more aggressive than we are currently.

This - when we want players to leave we need to make it clear that "fight for your place" is no longer an option, instead of telling them we're happy to keep them if they don't want to leave.

In this specific case it actually turned out alright for us, as Maguire had a pretty good season and we had a ton of injuries at CB.
If him having a good season meant we conceed almost every match he played then it was a bad decision that we kept him.

Because clearly every goal we conceded last season was Harry’s fault. All of them. Seriously, think before you post! :rolleyes:
Yes I thought of it carefully, the season before last were he played few games we conceded few goals didn't we?

The moment him and his body Lindelof replaced Martinez and Varane did we conceed more? Did we lose to Sevilla because of his shambolic performance?

Again did we conceed more goals last season with him ever present?

If you answer all those questions correctly then you'll know he's clearly part of the problem.

I’ve got to disagree with you. He’s mediocre by United standards maybe, but he’s not a mediocre player and can be of tremendous help to teams in the middle to lower half of the table. For instance, look at Andres Perreira. Completely underwhelming player for United but he’s been quietly doing quite well at Fulham. There’s no doubt in my mind that McTominay would have a similar impact at a team like Fulham where they’re not expected to win every game and the pressure is less intense.
Ah Yes thats why barring the top 5 clubs in all the european leagues, everybody else is lining up for him. Come on, the man is a championship player at his best.

Ah Yes thats why barring the top 5 clubs in all the european leagues, everybody else is lining up for him. Come on, the man is a championship player at his best.

One of the most frequently used and incorrectly used phrases on the caf.
United may value him too high, but some decent PL club have tried to buy the bloke, and not because he’s “Championship at best”, that’s just silly talk.

You really haven’t eh?

We conceded fewer goals when Martinez and Shaw were available for 90% of games and Malacia was back up for Shaw, now that is mind blowing news I’m sure.
The chances of a goal being scored from LB is 1-10, the vast majority of goals are scored in the 18 box, who is tasks to defend those areas? I'll help you out it's the CBs with help from the Midfielders.

Which in turn means whenever a goal is conceded inside the 18 box then someone didn't do their job properly.

Last season the amount of goals we conceded from cut back were alarming, we had CBs playing who aren't good enough and can't read the situation well enough to help reduce the risk of conceding goals.

The chances of a goal being scored from LB is 1-10, the vast majority of goals are scored in the 18 box, who is tasks to defend those areas? I'll help you out it's the CBs with help from the Midfielders.

Which in turn means whenever a goal is conceded inside the 18 box then someone didn't do their job properly.

Last season the amount of goals we conceded from cut back were alarming, we had CBs playing who aren't good enough and can't read the situation well enough to help reduce the risk of conceding goals.

The cut back goals by the vast majority were the fault of our midfield (CB’s rarely defend the cut back for obvious reasons), pretty certain we were all unanimous on that after the 30th time it happened.

What a mess. I think we should change tactics and say, "look all, he's going to be sold to the highest bidder by the 15th of August at whatever price that is!" Then hopefully the teams will be more motivated and will drive up the price to as much as anyone is willing to pay for him. We probably still won't get what we want for but at least, we'll best price on offer.

Scott McTominay is worth whatever any other club willing to pay him. We should really take the bullet and sell him to the highest bidder, even if that's "only" 20m.
United current stature and performances are not really enhancing the price of any players we want to sell. Because United played putrid football below what's expected of them, the players value also reflect this. Arsenal and City are able to sell their squad players much higher is because they played good winning football. If Arsenal wanted to sell ESR for example, and interested clubs are seeing that well, he have to compete with Odegard/Saka/Martinelli, they'd think, he probably a good player but he can't get into the team when the players he compete with are better and playing better football. Therefore they can sell him for higher price.
But at United, when they wanted to sell McTominay, interested clubs will think, well, the players he compete with (Amrabat, Casemiro) aren't that good and they played horrible football. He probably an okay player but doubt are raised because he can't dislodged those who played bad and when he played he isn't playing that well.

Status
Not open for further replies.