McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right.

Just find it strange that there are no other competing bids from other EPL clubs around Fulham's level, for a proven (decent) goalscoring midfielder

He scores goals at clutch moments, he's settled in the country, experienced enough at the highest levels for club & country, prime age, not on obscene wages & selling club is notorious for letting go at a steal usually.

Should have a host of buyers & one of our easier sales, yet here we are
The thing is he is neither a proven goalscorer nor a decent midfielder. He’s literally had one season, in what 7 when he managed to score a few and even that wasn’t anything special. It’s why there is next to no interest in him from other clubs even though he’s apparently available for sale. Same as last summer and now he’s a year older.

Can't we swap him with Kadioglu (who can also play DM & CM btw)? And sign Ugarte on loan w buy obligation.

You're right.

Just find it strange that there are no other competing bids from other EPL clubs around Fulham's level, for a proven (decent) goalscoring midfielder

He scores goals at clutch moments, he's settled in the country, experienced enough at the highest levels for club & country, prime age, not on obscene wages & selling club is notorious for letting go at a steal usually.

Even strikers these days are expected to have a decent all-round game and provide more to the team than goals. That's obviously more true again for a midfielder (even if the buying club are looking at him as a #10), and he's had one season where he's scored 10 goals.

I'm actually surprised that Fulham want him.

You're right.

He offers little other than the 1 goal in 9 games that he averages. And even that is inflated by his purple patch at the start of last season.

As much as I would love to keep him given he has come from the youth ranks, I close my eyes and get a flash back of last year games where he just could not control a basic ball or find a pass. Needs to be shipped asap together with few others.

Yes, thanks for the goals but he is just not the midfielder to take us forward.

Reactions: Cheimoon
Would he agree to Turkey? I obviously don't know the man, but that would surprise me if he wanted to go there.
Mourinho the manager, reunite with Fred, Champions League football. Why not? Several retired UK/Irish players have voiced that they regret not having gone abroad to play football for the different experience.

Mourinho the manager, reunite with Fred, Champions League football. Why not? Several retired UK/Irish players have voiced that they regret not having gone abroad to play football for the different experience.
He’s 28, there’s a good 3,4 years left in him, not to mention a couple of international tournaments if Scotland qualifies.

Galatasaray have signed Sara from Norwich for around £15-20m. Doubt they would have offered enough for McTominay anyway but that looks even more unlikely now.

Just so stupid not to sell now and before, and not to reinvest it immediately. 20 mil and a bit more from our pocket could give us a really nice replacement if our scouting team was worth anything. Let alone the fact that we could replace him with Collyer and no one would notice.

Just so stupid not to sell now and before, and not to reinvest it immediately. 20 mil and a bit more from our pocket could give us a really nice replacement if our scouting team was worth anything. Let alone the fact that we could replace him with Collyer and no one would notice.

It's a tough situation because we can't actually offer him an extension. That'll price him out of a move in the future because he'll need a pay rise to go with it. He should've been sold last summer or ideally Jan 2023 when Newcastle were after him.

Chelsea did offer Gallagher a deal.

I hear you, just seems like he would want a better league at this point in his career and coming from United. But, you make good points. I tend to root for the english premier league players when they take a risk and go play in a different country, unless they began at Pool.....

This is the Lingard situation all over again. His value will never be higher, yet we see him as a “valuable squad player” so are being stingy with price, and then after this season when he doesn’t play well we’ll have to ship him off for basically scraps.

I'd agree with you and want him gone for the funds but in this case I think INEOS are doing whatever they can to extract the biggest transfer fee to buy his replacement. I'd be quite surprised if we don't sell and he remains based on the reports.

Under the old regime, I would honestly believe the 'valuable squad member and don't want to sell'. This time, I think it's probably half true.

How do you come to that conclusion?

The fact he's actually managed to score double digit PL goals in a season that too at a much younger than McTominay. He also managed it without being a complete handicap for his team while being on the pitch.

McTominay peaked last season - and his peak is 7 league goals, and no other contribution while being on the pitch. A Chicharito who scores 4-7 goals a season.

I reckon he will stay and get a new contract and we’ll continue to be a top 8 premier league team.

At this point all the posturing is actually hampering our progress. Mct staying and no DM coming in is basically ending the season before it starts.

Admirable, but foolish.

The fact he's actually managed to score double digit PL goals in a season that too at a much younger than McTominay. He also managed it without being a complete handicap for his team while being on the pitch.

McTominay peaked last season - and his peak is 7 league goals, and no other contribution while being on the pitch. A Chicharito who scores 4-7 goals a season.
Absolute codswallop. He’s one of United’s best players for getting his head on free kicks. He may go missing when played as a defensive midfielder, but he has shown to be a very capable international and premier league player.

It is insult to make that bid for McTominay. We should mention Rice and Caicedo and tell them how it is. He is not worse. Not that I expect near 100m but he should not be sold like he was a championship player. Even Smith Rowe who played as much as I have went for more.

I rate McTominay more than probably almost everyone on here, but this is a shocking take. Caicedo is one of the best double-pivot DMs in the world and Rice is a top 3 number 6 in the world at worst.

IMO triggering McTominay's plus one option in his contract, and keeping him for one more year is not the end of the world, but selling him for around £25-30m is fine too. Just make sure we don't go below 22-23m IMO. He's worth at least that. Wages are reasonable too.

Keep him and get Ugarte on loan
Time to get rid, Scott is no where a champions league calibre player, fine for a team outside the top six and that's been extremely generous, I would say outside the top eight is his standard.

If we can get 25 million for Scott and put that towards the Ugarte deal its a no brainer.

I rate McTominay more than probably almost everyone on here, but this is a shocking take. Caicedo is one of the best double-pivot DMs in the world and Rice is a top 3 number 6 in the world at worst.

IMO triggering McTominay's plus one option in his contract, and keeping him for one more year is not the end of the world, but selling him for around £25-30m is fine too. Just make sure we don't go below 22-23m IMO. He's worth at least that. Wages are reasonable too.
Rice is no where near the top three number sixes in the world, we've seen that in his performances for England. Top 10 I would say. Scott is not a champions league calibre player and should be moved on if it means with can get Ugarte deal through.

Rice is no where near the top three number sixes in the world, we've seen that in his performances for England. Top 10 maybe. Scott is not a champions league calibre player and should be moved on if it means with can get Ugarte deal through.

I don't want to derail another thread, but who's better than Rice then?

Rodri, Zubimendi. Camvinga, Touchameni, Guimaraes, Caicedo, to name a few.

I see you bought into the English=overrated narrative too. Some of those players don't even play the same position, and are nowhere near Rice anyways. Literally none of those players have ever performed the #6 role as good as Rice last season, unless they had way more support and protection than Rice. Yes, even Rodri is always next to Stones or a CM.

Nothing that Caicedo have shown is worth 100m. Not even half of that. Same goes with Rice. Two average players. I know I'm minority of thinking that.

From my point of view we should keep McTominay. He does things people don't see and give us something different compared to other players we have. He is dangerous infront of the goal and that shouldn't be ignored. Is he a player who should start? No. Is he a player that is very good to have in your team. Yes.

The Lack of activity tells you how awful of a player other clubs think of him.

Even Athletico Madrid who like players that can hustle and scrape for thing aren't even interested in a telling sign...

Nothing that Caicedo have shown is worth 100m. Not even half of that. Same goes with Rice. Two average players. I know I'm minority of thinking that.

From my point of view we should keep McTominay. He does things people don't see and give us something different compared to other players we have. He is dangerous infront of the goal and that shouldn't be ignored. Is he a player who should start? No. Is he a player that is very good to have in your team. Yes.

You say that McTominay does things people don't see which is true...but it's also very very true for both Rice and Caicedo.

To state the obvious, we're holding out for too high of a price for McTominay. I actually like him as an option coming off the bench but if the decision is that he's surplus to requirements then accept a reasonable bid such as 20m and let him go to Spurs or Fulham.

I don't know how many points were directly attributable to McTominay's late goals last season, but it's least a few. But he's undoubtedly already peaked so best to let him go.

Out of all of McTominay, Casemiro, Eriksen, he's the only one worth keeping but he''s the only one with value.
He has value but unfortunately it's for a very limited use case. Whenever he starts he is almost always non existent in the midfield, hides from the play and barely gets on the ball.

If you are behind and need a goal he's a decent option for the last 15 mins of a game. The issue being that we should have backup strikers who can offer us that.

If we get anywhere close to 30 million we should take it and invest in a midfielder or two who can help improve our style of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.