McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I’m the only one still hung up on Ferdi, but if Fenerbache are interested I’d do a straight swap for him. Solves LB and RB with versatility to play winger/attacking mid and doesn’t come with the injury risk of Masraoui. Get Rabiot in on a free and then put AWB (and hopefully Lindelof) money towards getting De Ligt done. If we can do a loan with an option to buy for Ugarte also then we’re set.
There plenty of us who would like him at the club. But it's wishful thinking as there isn't a single link that we are interested in him.

Any, im a fan

Same here. I wonder how many kebabs offered would be a decent amount though.

We rejected 17m from Fulham. Why would we accept a new 17m from Gala?

I doubt they are offering better terms, Turkish clubs are cash strapped.

Definitely. Like, surely they would see we have rejected more from Fulham so why would we even entertain a lower bid? Football manager nonsense to me.

Still see Fulham coming back with another bid though.

2nd year isn't active til we activate it.
Still doesn’t mean anything from a bargaining point of view does it? Which was your original point.

Fulham: “We know he’s only got a year left. 20m or we sign him for free next year.”

Man United: “Yeah, no you don’t. Trigger that option on Scott will you Omar?”

I feel like we make excuses for all our big name players but never for an academy boy who leaves everything out there on the pitch, so I'll attempt one. He played DM under Ole during the McFred days, #8 under Ten Hag and then almost exclusivley as a goalscoring #10 where he seems to have found his niche. He could go to a somewhat functional side like Newcastle and instantly be better than the likes of Joelinton. I'd be happy to have him here as a squad option but it seems he has to leave to fix our midfield balance issues. Wish him the best wherever he goes.

I feel like we make excuses for all our big name players but never for an academy boy who leaves everything out there on the pitch, so I'll attempt one. He played DM under Ole during the McFred days, #8 under Ten Hag and then almost exclusivley as a goalscoring #10 where he seems to have found his niche. He could go to a somewhat functional side like Newcastle and instantly be better than the likes of Joelinton.
I take you never watch Newcastle, even against us, Joelinton is phenomenal since they moved him into midfield.

I take you never watch Newcastle, even against us, Joelinton is phenomenal since they moved him into midfield.

I watch him a decent amount and that's why I'm making the comparison. Both are strong / powerful ball carriers and good goal scorers. Both are alright defensively and things like passing, ability to control the ball in tight spaces are nothing to write home about. I think he'll be as good as / better than Joelinton if he played for Newcastle.

I feel like we make excuses for all our big name players but never for an academy boy who leaves everything out there on the pitch, so I'll attempt one. He played DM under Ole during the McFred days, #8 under Ten Hag and then almost exclusivley as a goalscoring #10 where he seems to have found his niche. He could go to a somewhat functional side like Newcastle and instantly be better than the likes of Joelinton. I'd be happy to have him here as a squad option but it seems he has to leave to fix our midfield balance issues. Wish him the best wherever he goes.

I feel the same way. No problems with him staying at the club, but it's clear we need to sell first in order to get recruitments in. Damn shame we can't sell both Antony and Sancho.

Given what other midfielders have went for in recent times anything less than 35m will be us being taken for mugs yet again - especially given his goal threat.

I assume to logic here is we need to sell to buy in. Happy enough if he does go but earlier the better so we don't get into last minute deals for a replacement we need so we get fleeced.

Surprised Newcastle aren’t sniffing around

Yeah, he'd be absolutely ideal for them. But going to West Ham, if they also sign Fullkrug, they'll have Ward-Prowse picking up assists in every match (Soucek, Zouma, McTominay, Fullkrug).

Still doesn’t mean anything from a bargaining point of view does it? Which was your original point.

Fulham: “We know he’s only got a year left. 20m or we sign him for free next year.”

Man United: “Yeah, no you don’t. Trigger that option on Scott will you Omar?”
And then you trigger the extra year, and No1 signs him? Then you're stuck at square one. With a player you don't want.

For McTominays sake I hope he goes to a decent club. He's limited on the ball but his committment and professionalism could never be questioned.

If half of our players had the same professionalism we'd be somewhere.

And then you trigger the extra year, and No1 signs him? Then you're stuck at square one. With a player you don't want.

There were buyers for him last summer too. Buyers for him now as well. So buyers for him in both summers where we were willing to sell for the right price.

Why don’t we want him? He scored 10 goals last year from midfield and scored a handful of match winners. I’d happily keep him.

If you are actively trying to get rid of him then taking a lower fee makes sense, but I don’t think we are.

Why don’t we want him? He scored 10 goals last year from midfield and scored a handful of match winners. I’d happily keep him.

If you are actively trying to get rid of him then taking a lower fee makes sense, but I don’t think we are.
He didn't score from midfield though, he was playing as a 2nd striker in all but name most of last season.

He didn't score from midfield though, he was playing as a 2nd striker in all but name most of last season.
So is Bruno, he’s classed as a midfielder. The point is he isn’t a forward, but can contribute with goals.

Good, lets get a bidding war going. I couldn't give a flying feck where he goes, we just need as much money as we can get
I fully expect him to become a leading man at whethever he goes. Maybe not in our group, but i do consider him to be a cut or two above the PL average. I joke on here a lot about how much love him, but i legitimately do have a soft spot for the guy. In other words, unlike many here - I would be happy if he stays.

So is Bruno, he’s classed as a midfielder. The point is he isn’t a forward, but can contribute with goals.

The main difference is that Bruno is a good player in general and the main creative force in our midfield. Scott does not have a role in our midfield because he isn't a defensive midfielder nor does he have the passing and ball retention skills to play as an 8 so we either use him as an impact player from the bench or we start him in a role he is not suited for and accept that we don't have a functional midfield. The crazy goal stats both for us and for Scotland basically cover the last 12 months of his career but prior to that he has been significantly less prolific and the body of evidence suggests he will regress as a goal threat.

I watch him a decent amount and that's why I'm making the comparison. Both are strong / powerful ball carriers and good goal scorers. Both are alright defensively and things like passing, ability to control the ball in tight spaces are nothing to write home about. I think he'll be as good as / better than Joelinton if he played for Newcastle.
That’s quite reductive. Go look at their heat maps and stats, McT doesn’t really have a position, he’s a utility player for us and got a good goals return last season without much else. Joelinton is one of the big success stories of changing position and is better at basically everything than McT. Even without him being better, which is subjective although backed up by stats, he’s just so much more involved and influential than McT. He’s a dirty fecker but he’s a very good player, McT sadly isn’t.

Ten Hag played him last season even more advanced than Bruno who's an attacking midfielder. I looked up the stats from the game against Betis and saw that he completed 9 passes in 62 minutes. This isn't a rare occurrence for him and nowhere near good enough if you consider him a midfielder.

The main difference is that Bruno is a good player in general and the main creative force in our midfield. Scott does not have a role in our midfield because he isn't a defensive midfielder nor does he have the passing and ball retention skills to play as an 8 so we either use him as an impact player from the bench or we start him in a role he is not suited for and accept that we don't have a functional midfield. The crazy goal stats both for us and for Scotland basically cover the last 12 months of his career but prior to that he has been significantly less prolific and the body of evidence suggests he will regress as a goal threat.
Doesn’t really matter though, the facts are the facts. He scored 10 goals, and if Fulham want a player capable of that then they need to offer more money. Some of the dross that goes for 20m nowadays is insane. James Trafford had only played in league one, and went to Burnley for the same price.

Doesn’t really matter though, the facts are the facts. He scored 10 goals, and if Fulham want a player capable of that then they need to offer more money. Some of the dross that goes for 20m nowadays is insane. James Trafford had only played in league one, and went to Burnley for the same price.

He scored 10 goals in a one off season and nowhere near that in 5 previous seasons. They already have players there that are better than Scott so I cannot imagine he would be a regular starter and more to the point he is not a regular starter here and if we are serious about ever winning the PL title again he should not be anywhere near the first team moving forward. To a club looking to sign him they are going to see a player that has very severe limitations, is not wanted by his current club and who is quite possibly going to be a free agent in 12 months and the price is set accordingly.

To your other point, you can also factor in that James Trafford is very highly rated and Burnley would have been gambling that he is a future England number 1 and can be sold for a huge profit in a couple of years. Scott turns 28 this season and his value is only going to go down from here so the calculation has to factor in that whatever you spend on him is a sunk cost and you won't get it back.

Was McTominay the top scorer in the International European qualifers last year? Should be at least 35m to 40m.

He's a true red, and its never nice to to see them leave the club. He always gives his 110%, but just not good enough sadly, and we need funds.

No one makes excuses for them, we just can’t shift them cos of their wages and no one wants them.

McTominay has value for us in the market as an academy product and is only on a reported £60k a week. He’s not and never will be first choice and hasn’t excelled in any of the 3 midfield positions you mention. He doesn’t have the skill, guile or passing range to play the 10 role for a ‘top’ side.

£30 mil or £25 with addons is fine IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.