McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't stop running, didn't stop tackling, didn't stop communicating, hyped up the crowd, hyped up those around him…

… hid from the ball a lot, ‘showed’ for it when the pass wasn't on anyway. He's not good enough for United.

Let's hope we don't price him out of a move. Anything close to 25m should be accepted. Hope Fulham are ready to come close, he'd be a good signing for them.

You realize he played for Chelsea before us, don't you? And there are a plentitude of videos of him the year before he joined, you should watch at least one of them.

Mount had 27 goals and 23 assists in 129 league appearances for Chelsea.
McTominay had 19 goals and 4 assists in 176 league appearances for us, but who's counting.
What he did for Chelsea matters not. All that matters is what is happening at Manchester United and mount has been severely lacking.

£25 with some add-ons will be a good fee now, had he been younger with more years on his deal we might have gotten £30-35m but now 25m should be about good for him

I really struggle to think of a single thing that McTominay is better at than Mason Mount apart from avoiding injuries (and the ball)

Could you enlighten me?
My God. McTominay scores goals and is United through and through. Mount erm when he has played has zero effect on the game.
McT's goal return against the number of minutes on the pitch was the best of any player last season outside our lone striker let alone the ineffective Mount.
His seven goals in 1894 mins of playing time in the Premier League averages out at a goal every 270.5 mins. By comparison joint top scorer Bruno was a goal every 312 mins, Garnacho is a goal every 394 mins and Rashford a goal every 325 mins. Antony's solitary goal came with 1324 mins of play.
Striker Hojlund is at a goal every 217 mins and would expect as a striker to have better numbers.
To sell McTominay to Fulham or whoever for buttons [£20m] would be a scandal. He is far more valuable than that.

McTominay out.
"But we can't because Lemy Yoro is injured!" - RedCafe, 2024

£25 with some add-ons will be a good fee now, had he been younger with more years on his deal we might have gotten £30-35m but now 25m should be about good for him
Would be a fantastic deal. We could finally get Ugarte (or another DM) done with that money.

:lol: what a ridiculous thing to say. He’s been injured.

By your “logic” Lindelof is better than Yoro.
I am talking about players who have played for United here. Do lack compression skills? Yoro has Zero official appearances for Manchester United, Mount has played for Manchester United and been crap. Its not a ridiculous thing to say. All that matters is what a player does in a Manchester United jersey, all things done prior dont mean anything if they cant be replicated or done better.

What Mount did for Chelsea cant be weighed for him in his United career against Mctominay. For him to be called a better player for Manchester United vs Mctominay he has to do it in a Manchester United jersey.

By your logic we should bring Alexis back because he scored tons for Arsenal.

I am talking about players who have played for United here. Do lack compression skills? Yoro has Zero official appearances for Manchester United, Mount has played for Manchester United and been crap. Its not a ridiculous thing to say. All that matters is what a player does in a Manchester United jersey, all things done prior dont mean anything if they cant be replicated or done better.

What Mount did for Chelsea cant be weighed for him in his United career against Mctominay. For him to be called a better player for Manchester United vs Mctominay he has to do it in a Manchester United jersey.

By your logic we should bring Alexis back because he scored tons for Arsenal.
I think you don’t know what you’re talking about. Bye

… hid from the ball a lot, ‘showed’ for it when the pass wasn't on anyway. He's not good enough for United.
Yea I truly feel like I've been watching the team from bizarro land with some of things I read :lol:

The only positives I can say about McTominay on the pitch is that he shows good effort most of the time and has a decent eye and instincts for a goal.

Not much else I can write home about in terms of elevating and contributing positively to the team as a midfielder.

Also seems like a likeable bloke to be around of and have in the dressing room but he hasn't been good enough to be relied upon as many times as he's had to for United

Last edited:
While he is a model professional we are doing the right thing moving him on. There is no way in hell he is a regular starter in any other top side, we need to be aiming higher.
This is spot on. At an age where he wants to play every week and that's not here. Andreas was pretty poor here, went to Fulham and has done well, Scott may just do similar. It's a good move for all parties if it's done. Hopefully £25million+ will get agreed.

Box crashing from midfield and playing #9 are very different
I agree, but who knows? Imagine Zirkzee also gets injured, or just flops. A guy like Chido can't be ready now. And Bruno is needed for creativity further down the pitch.

McTominay strikes the ball well, he positions himself well, has the physique of a traditional striker.

He's not the best handler of the ball to go down and develop play, but Bruno had his best time here playing in a free attacking midfielder role doing just that, so it's not the worst idea to play Scott on top imo.

He's getting a lot of praise from ETH in the press conferences. Doesn't feel to me he's about to leave.

I really struggle to think of a single thing that McTominay is better at than Mason Mount apart from avoiding injuries (and the ball)

Could you enlighten me?

I really struggle to think of anything Mount is better at than any midfielder in the team. He is the exact definition of mediocre of every aspect of his game and this weird obsession to defend this transfer has to come to an end.

He's getting a lot of praise from ETH in the press conferences. Doesn't feel to me he's about to leave.
Always loved this line of thinking. We've been entertaining numerous bids and are in negotiations with a view to letting him go, but Ten Hag isn't calling him a dosser in the press so he must want to keep him.

He is only really useful defending our own box and attacking the oppositions. Any other phase of play then he is severely lacking as a midfielder. Hopefully it goes well wherever he goes.

If we get 25m plus, sell. We will not get more and he is not good enough to stay.

What’s the point in holding on to a midfielder who hides from the ball?

We want to improve the squad, selling poorer players in it is how we do that.

What’s the point in holding on to a midfielder who hides from the ball?

We want to improve the squad, selling poorer players in it is how we do that.

If we are showing players the door based on application the correct order of players leaving should be rashford, rashford and then rashford.

If their offer reaches the 25m mark we should, if it doesn't and they don't cave in we still have to sell because I can't stress the importance of bringing in a proper DM enough. If we don't do this, we are putting too much importance on Casemiro's form or Collyer's growth. Our summer window is really in danger of going off the rails and the 5 or 10m we might squeeze out of Fulham is really not worth the risk.

Worth bearing in mind that a lot of the hate thrown at McTominay is from England fans who are salty because, every time they look at him, they see what could have been if he started up front instead of Kane. A Euros for sure and potentially a WC.

It’s kind of hard to come to terms with selling McT. On one hand, reinvesting the money wisely would improve the technical quality in midfield. On the other, he’s a homegrown talent who wears the badge on his sleeve in a proud way that is more like Jonny Evans and quite unlike Rashford. He’s never let his shoulders slump during the many ignominious defeats and last season, dragged us to vital wins. You can’t replace that kind of character and soul as it is far more valuable than his technical level.

He's someone I'd ideally want us to keep because he lives and breathes United, has a great attitude, isn't on massive wages and has bailed us out on several occasions coming on from the bench but unfortunately we don't have that luxury right now. We need someone who's good enough to start for us and unfortunately he isn't. Will always wish him well though.

Status
Not open for further replies.