McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current market McT should be worth above 30m.
He's also on 60k per week so salary isn't a problem.

Anything below 25m is frankly insulting.

Current market McT should be worth above 30m.
He's also on 60k per week so salary isn't a problem.

Anything below 25m is frankly insulting.

I don't know how you are coming to that conclusion. If we offered anything over 20M to buy a player of his level there would be riots so why on earth do people think he is worth more? He is simply not a very good player and nobody is paying 30M for a bit part midfielder who might get a goal as a late sub. He cannot be trusted to start games at PL level, I would bite the hand off anyone offering 15M.

That is completely insulting
The fact it’s Fulham and Gala bidding for him tells its own story. He just isn’t good enough for us…starter, bench wherever. Let’s just get rid and move on

I mean the guy is available. I’ve not heard links to RM, Barca, AM, Juve, AC, Inter, Bayern, City, Liverpool, PSG…no team even remotely interested in competing at the top end is bothered for him. Maybe he just isn’t very good.

There’s no maybe about it

The fact it’s Fulham and Gala bidding for him tells its own story. He just isn’t good enough for us…starter, bench wherever. Let’s just get rid and move on

I mean the guy is available. I’ve not heard links to RM, Barca, AM, Juve, AC, Inter, Bayern, City, Liverpool, PSG…no team even remotely interested in competing at the top end is bothered for him. Maybe he just isn’t very good.

There’s no maybe about it

How much would you get rid for then?

How much would you get rid for then?it’s not my money

It’s difficult for anyone to realistically say on this platform not knowing the financial situation and how it affects cashflow and future purchasers.

But as a 1 off sale without consequence I’d be delighted to wake up tomorrow and read he’d been sold overnight for even 5m.

He is anti football. Said it since he started out. Mainoo embarrasses him. To be fair he embarrasses a lot of the others as well. Thats the level we should be aspiring to…and beyond. We’ve just had too many season of mediocrity that’s it’s become the norm.

And McT is the epitome of vanilla

I don't know how you are coming to that conclusion. If we offered anything over 20M to buy a player of his level there would be riots so why on earth do people think he is worth more? He is simply not a very good player and nobody is paying 30M for a bit part midfielder who might get a goal as a late sub. He cannot be trusted to start games at PL level, I would bite the hand off anyone offering 15M.
13m pounds get you Lokonga, a part time midfielder who was loaned out couple of times, 24 years old with what 50 games in PL and journeys in Belguim..
Onana just went for 50m pounds to Villa, who is younger but limited destroyer.
Douglas Luiz round 50m pounds.
Wieffer 25m pounds - 24 and a half years old after two seasons at Feyenord at higher level.
Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall - last played in Championship - 30m pound. 26 years old, hardly someone special.

35m pounds gets you Elliot Anderson and Archie Gray who are promising, but hardly generational talents.

On top of that Kilman went for 40m pounds..

So yeah, looking at the transfers so far I don't see why McT shouldn't be valued at around 30-35m pounds.

Someone who has nearly 200 games at PL level, at his peak, hardly injured, 42 games in Europe and more than 50 for Scotland.

Yeah he's limited but if he wasn't he would easily fetch 50+ like Onana, Luiz who are frankly of similar ilk.

13m pounds get you Lokonga, a part time midfielder who was loaned out couple of times, 24 years old with what 50 games in PL and journeys in Belguim..
Wieffer 25m pounds - 24 and a half years old after two seasons at Feyenord at higher level.
Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall - last played in Championship - 30m pound. 26 years old, hardly someone special.

35m pounds gets you Elliot Anderson and Archie Gray who are promising, but hardly generational talents.

So yeah, looking at the transfers so far I don't see why McT shouldn't be valued at around 30-35m pounds.

Someone who has nearly 200 games at PL level, at his peak, hardly injured, 42 games in Europe and more than 50 for Scotland.

Yeah he's limited but if he wasn't he would easily fetch 50+ like Onana, Luiz who are frankly of similar ilk.

The biggest issue with McTominay is he plays for United and everyone assumes the club will be willing to be rid of him because he's perceived as being not of the level required at his club. The assumption is we'd be happy (desperate even) to sell him in order to make way for a better player.

Then again, if he were really that good, there'd be more of a clamour from other clubs with deeper pockets to sign him. This doesn't seem to be the case.

McT is the much better player no doubt.
Not a chance. Gibson was light years ahead technically. Solskjaer called him I think ‘A Porsche but struggle to get him out of the garage’. Would have been a top player if not for injury and addictions

A lot of those comparisons are to people who play entirely different positions such as RB or CB so not particularly relevant to the value of McTominay, also many of them are younger with potential to develop whereas Scott is what he is at this point. Scott is not really good enough to be a regular starter in a PL midfield so that limits his value, he is at best a role player for specific games and an impact sub. You don't pay 30M for that type of player, those sorts of fees are reserved for starting eleven players.

The biggest issue for Scott is that he does not have a role in a modern midfield, he is in many ways an outfield version of DDG in that the things he does well are not valued in the modern game and so teams are not looking to add a player like him. He cannot perform the basic functions of a defensive midfielder reliably, he lacks the ball carrying and passing ability to be a box to box player and I don't think I need to explain why he is not an attacking midfielder.

A lot of those comparisons are to people who play entirely different positions such as RB or CB so not particularly relevant to the value of McTominay, also many of them are younger with potential to develop whereas Scott is what he is at this point. Scott is not really good enough to be a regular starter in a PL midfield so that limits his value, he is at best a role player for specific games and an impact sub. You don't pay 30M for that type of player, those sorts of fees are reserved for starting eleven players.

The biggest issue for Scott is that he does not have a role in a modern midfield, he is in many ways an outfield version of DDG in that the things he does well are not valued in the modern game and so teams are not looking to add a player like him. He cannot perform the basic functions of a defensive midfielder reliably, he lacks the ball carrying and passing ability to be a box to box player and I don't think I need to explain why he is not an attacking midfielder.
This is ridiculous. He has been one of two midfielders in a double pivot for a team that was 2nd and 3rd in PL, but somehow he isn't good enough to be a regular in a PL side?

I'm no fan of him, but you're straight up wrong. I think you need to look more at mid table or bottom sides' midfielders in PL. He is much better than many of them.

I mean Onana and Luiz are far better/more useful midfielders. The simple fact is that it's difficult to find a value for a midfielder that can't/won't pass a ball, who also isn't particularly sound defensively. Yes he has value as an auxilliary goal threat from midfield, but only lesser teams are going to use that type of player as a starter.

McTominay has 200 PL games largely because we've been a failure of a club in finding players at his position. It's been out of necessity far more than merit that he's played so much. Every player you mentioned in relation would help us more than McTominay would right now, who right now just doesn't fit into any midfield construction without us having to alter tactics to accomodate him.

I'm leaning towards selling him in 2025 rather than now, because I don't think selling 10-15 players in one summer is a good idea. The rebuild has to be a bit slower paced than that.

But if we let him go now, 20m is the absolute lowest offer we should entertain, and ideally 25-30 is what we should be targeting.

I'd snap your hand off for 20m. He found a role that suited him more than being a 6 last season, but he's still not good enough to start games for us.

You want your squad players to actually be able to come in and start without having a negative impact on the team, and that's not the case when he's in midfield.

I'm genuinely sorry that you can't accept the fact that he is nog good enough and that player adoration is more important than the team as a whole.

McT is NOT good enough, mediocre at best. United fanbase is the only fanbase I know that gets so sentimental about players.
The thing is there isn't a anyone who has this adoration for him that you claim, and l've made my own position on him clear already. You're arguing with imaginary people, and you're doing so quite poorly. But carry on if it pleases you.

Hate is such a tiring emotion. Why are you wasting it on so trivial a topic?

I mean Onana and Luiz are far better/more useful midfielders. The simple fact is that it's difficult to find a value for a midfielder that can't/won't pass a ball, who also isn't particularly sound defensively. Yes he has value as an auxilliary goal threat from midfield, but only lesser teams are going to use that type of player as a starter.

McTominay has 200 PL games largely because we've been a failure of a club in finding players at his position. It's been out of necessity far more than merit that he's played so much. Every player you mentioned in relation would help us more than McTominay would right now, who right now just doesn't fit into any midfield construction without us having to alter tactics to accomodate him.
We’ve seen Onana and Luiz and whilst they are more useful I’m not sure they are 20-30m more useful if we’re going by valuation. Both are very limited and if we brought in either of them to United I’m not even sure they would slightly improve us on McT. Both of them as McT are limited and just went for 50m so the market and valuation is not wild to warrant 30-35m for McT imo.

We’ve seen Onana and Luiz and whilst they are more useful I’m not sure they are 20-30m more useful if we’re going by valuation. Both are very limited and if we brought in either of them to United I’m not even sure they would slightly improve us on McT. Both of them as McT are limited and just went for 50m so the market and valuation is not wild to warrant 30-35m for McT imo.

Sorry, both Onana and Luiz are much better players than McTominay, I cannot tell at this point if you are just wumming with these statements.

Negotiate a bit, get at least 17m, that's a fair representation of what he offers, the good thing is we are selling him abroad so we won't worry about him playing against us.
HE's not on crazy wages. 17m is rubish.

Sorry, both Onana and Luiz are much better players than McTominay, I cannot tell at this point if you are just wumming with these statements.
Onana is not much better player come on. I’ve already conceded that Luiz and Onana are better players but they went for 50m and they are average as you get. Onana especially is a very limited midfielder who is purely a physical beast with meh passing, meh under pressure, no goal scoring threat, despite his frame, and questionable reading of the game and positioning in a proactive team.

I wouldn’t want him at United as he won’t improve us one bit, which is what I implied. Now McT in Everton side would probably fetch the same performances as it is what is expected of a limited midfielder in Onana mould.

On top of that he earns less than both which would save some value for transfer fee.

In essence when players like Onana and Luiz go for 50m, can’t see why not McT should not be valued around 60% of that.

Most of the examples are playing dm or cm don’t know where the RB is coming from.

half of those on the list are approximately his age and they also are what they are with much less experience.

Dewsbury - Hall went for 30m to Chelsea and I somehow doubt he will be a nailed on starter for them.

And let’s not pretend that McT is so bad he can’t be a starter for some average PL side. Same was said for Pereira who was sold for 10m and yet he was a starter for Fulham two seasons in a row for a side that finished mid table.

I mean it’s ok not to rate McT, I don’t also for the record, but to overrate some average shite from other teams to put him down is strange.

Onana is not much better player come on. I’ve already conceded that Luiz and Onana are better players but they went for 50m and they are average as you get. Onana especially is a very limited midfielder who is purely a physical beast with meh passing, meh under pressure, no goal scoring threat, despite his frame, and questionable reading of the game and positioning in a proactive team.

I wouldn’t want him at United as he won’t improve us one bit, which is what I implied. Now McT in Everton side would probably fetch the same performances as it is what is expected of a limited midfielder in Onana mould.

On top of that he earns less than both which would save some value for transfer fee.

In essence when players like Onana and Luiz go for 50m, can’t see why not McT should not be valued around 60% of that.

I think you are missing the point that Onana is excellent at the destroyer role which is valued and so has a defined role in a PL team which is something McTominay lacks, we are being linked with Ugarte who plays the same role for a similar fee. More importantly though, Onana is just 22 and so is still not at his peak and may well improve or at the very least can be moved on in a few years and so a premium is being paid for potential. McTominay will likely be sold for peanuts or even released for free at the end of his next contract as even a 4 year deal would see him turn 31 before expiring and that is always factored into the price for a buying club.

I am afraid we are heading into Lingard territory here and we will end up holding on to a player long past the point where he is of any use to us and turning up our noses at sensible offers only to see him waste away on the bench before leaving for nothing. If it is 17M now or nothing in 2 years time I know what I would rather we do.

You have to take into account how much mileage they have remaining in their body. Onana is 5 years younger than McTominay.

The biggest issue with McTominay is he plays for United and everyone assumes the club will be willing to be rid of him because he's perceived as being not of the level required at his club. The assumption is we'd be happy (desperate even) to sell him in order to make way for a better player.

Then again, if he were really that good, there'd be more of a clamour from other clubs with deeper pockets to sign him. This doesn't seem to be the case.
I think that is inheritance from the old management and I agree with you.

However McT is different to say Maguire who also comes with a huge salary. On top of that he’s academy product so he would be ok with a lesser role without forcing a move which should imply that he would hold some value.

Again I’m not saying he’s some hot commodity but a player of his profile should warrant around 30m. Especially when you consider the premier league experience fee that comes along with that.

If you are some mid table owner can you get a better deal? Sure but with McT you know you what you get with the positives and negatives whilst a promising young player is always stab in the dark and that player also needs to agree to come to a midtable / relegation fodder.

Most of the examples are playing dm or cm don’t know where the RB is coming from.

half of those on the list are approximately his age and they also are what they are with much less experience.

Dewsbury - Hall went for 30m to Chelsea and I somehow doubt he will be a nailed on starter for them.

And let’s not pretend that McT is so bad he can’t be a starter for some average PL side. Same was said for Pereira who was sold for 10m and yet he was a starter for Fulham two seasons in a row for a side that finished mid table.

I mean it’s ok not to rate McT, I don’t also for the record, but to overrate some average shite from other teams to put him down is strange.
Kilman is a CB and Gray played a couple of positions but spent the majority of last season at RB.

Don't know where that last bolded comment came from, I have not overrated anyone to put McTominay down but as you included Dewsbury-Hall lets compare. KDH is clearly a better player in a functional PL midfield, he has a decent passing range, good positional awareness and a decent amount of creativity in his game, he is also 2 years younger than Scott. If a younger, better player went for a transfer fee that will only rise to 30M if all the clauses are met then it would suggest that a fair price for Scott would be a good bit lower than that.

You have to take into account how much mileage they have remaining in their body. Onana is 5 years younger than McTominay.
Fair. Though in Onana’s case he’s very reliant on his physical traits and as soon as he’s on the wane he will be on the downhill quickly.

I think you are missing the point that Onana is excellent at the destroyer role which is valued and so has a defined role in a PL team which is something McTominay lacks, we are being linked with Ugarte who plays the same role for a similar fee. More importantly though, Onana is just 22 and so is still not at his peak and may well improve or at the very least can be moved on in a few years and so a premium is being paid for potential. McTominay will likely be sold for peanuts or even released for free at the end of his next contract as even a 4 year deal would see him turn 31 before expiring and that is always factored into the price for a buying club.

I am afraid we are heading into Lingard territory here and we will end up holding on to a player long past the point where he is of any use to us and turning up our noses at sensible offers only to see him waste away on the bench before leaving for nothing. If it is 17M now or nothing in 2 years time I know what I would rather we do.
Onana is 23 in two weeks and given the profile I doubt somehow he will develop a passing range, vision or become suddenly all rounder. His profile is very specific as you said fills a specific need.

I have certain doubts he will be a success at Villa let alone be sold for premium in couple of years time. Also his wage demands in a deal like this would be significantly higher which also is worth pointing out.

On top of that McT is a goal threat that is especially useful for relegation sides as couple of goals make difference in surviving or not.

Kilman is a CB and Gray played a couple of positions but spent the majority of last season at RB.

Don't know where that last bolded comment came from, I have not overrated anyone to put McTominay down but as you included Dewsbury-Hall let’s compare. KDH is clearly a better player in a functional PL midfield, he has a decent passing range, good positional awareness and a decent amount of creativity in his game, he is also 2 years younger than Scott. If a younger, better player went for a transfer fee that will only rise to 30M if all the clauses are met then it would suggest that a fair price for Scott would be a good bit lower than that.
Kilman was an example of average player going for big amount due to PL tax, but yeah even if we don’t include him the market value of the rest suggests 12-17m is a joke really.

As for KDH again a lot of assumptions. First of all he’s less than 2 years younger and has 2 seasons in PL. He’s extremely left footed and when it comes to consistency it’s really lacking, at least from what I’ve seen from him in PL, last year I have no idea but the level in Championship is different. He’s a decent ball carrier but his decision making is shite and often doesn’t take the best decision. He’s very similar to McT in a way that he doesn’t excel in anything or pinpoint a position to make his own. He doesn’t have the creativity to be AM, doesn’t have the positional awareness and discipline for DM and is in some sort of B2B role where it’s probably his best position.

Leicester also needed the sell to balance the books.

Not a chance. Gibson was light years ahead technically. Solskjaer called him I think ‘A Porsche but struggle to get him out of the garage’. Would have been a top player if not for injury and addictions
Gibson? The Irish lad? If Ole called him a Porsche it’s no wonder he’s not a very good manager. Gibson was more a Skoda at best, possibly a Lada.

I cannot be sure without doing far more internet research than I am willing to do but my recollection is that the 30M bid for McTominay is a myth. We definitely had a 30M bid for West Ham for Maguire which was confirmed by the fact it got as far as his agent discussing terms before effectively pulling the plug because they were not going to match his United wages.

The story spread that they had offered a double bid for Maguire and McTominay for 60M however this was flatly denied by West Ham. It is possible/probable that they kicked the tires on McTominay but the noise coming from their side was that they valued him at about half of what we were asking so it never went further than a quick enquiry. For some reason we have now decided to torture ourselves this summer with claims of a solid 30M bid that we rejected despite it never having happened, this is typical Caf behavior and not to be encouraged.
I mean, numerous news outlets reported a £30m bid from West Ham for Mctominay, including The Athletic which is considered the most credible source on here. It's not some Redcafe fabricated story.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/4758030/2023/08/08/scott-mctominay-west-ham-man-united-transfer/
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...er-united-mctominay-maguire-transfer-27476325
https://www.skysports.com/football/...mproved-bid-for-man-utd-defender-worth-gbp30m

We made 2 errors last summer. Firstly telling Maguire that he still had a role to play should he choose to stay lead to him demanding a big pay off from us to leave, and then ultimately rejecting West Ham as he'd rather fight for his place than take a wage cut. Ruthless clubs would have made it clear he has no role in our first team and pushed him out the door if he wants to play football.

And secondly, getting greedy with our demands over Mctominay. If he was worth £40m or more like some of the people on here are claiming, we'd be getting offers for that amount. He just isn't worth it.

Gibson? The Irish lad? If Ole called him a Porsche it’s no wonder he’s not a very good manager. Gibson was more a Skoda at best, possibly a Lada.
The fact you’re asking ‘The Irish lad?’ leads to think you haven’t seen much of him. Seen him live on numerous occasions. Had bags of ability

I mean, numerous news outlets reported a £30m bid from West Ham for Mctominay, including The Athletic which is considered the most credible source on here. It's not some Redcafe fabricated story.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/4758030/2023/08/08/scott-mctominay-west-ham-man-united-transfer/
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...er-united-mctominay-maguire-transfer-27476325
https://www.skysports.com/football/...mproved-bid-for-man-utd-defender-worth-gbp30m

We made 2 errors last summer. Firstly telling Maguire that he still had a role to play should he choose to stay lead to him demanding a big pay off from us to leave, and then ultimately rejecting West Ham as he'd rather fight for his place than take a wage cut. Ruthless clubs would have made it clear he has no role in our first team and pushed him out the door if he wants to play football.

And secondly, getting greedy with our demands over Mctominay. If he was worth £40m or more like some of the people on here are claiming, we'd be getting offers for that amount. He just isn't worth it.

Simon Stone reported it at the same time as 50M for the pair and he is also pretty reliable, but I will concede Whitwell at the Athletic is pretty near 100% with his information so maybe the denials I am remembering were West Ham saving face after getting turned down and they did in fact bid 30M. Ok, I am fully on board the outrage train now, what on earth were we thinking.

The fact you’re asking ‘The Irish lad?’ leads to think you haven’t seen much of him. Seen him live on numerous occasions. Had bags of ability

He was a strange player. Like a reverse Iniesta, which means he struggled at pretty much everything except his truly incredible 99th percentile shooting and long passing.

They far improve us for the simple fact that both actually can play as anchoring 6’s, a position we are shockingly thin/poor in. McTominay can’t. That alone makes them more valuable which is sort of my initial point.

What he brings to a team isn’t something that will ever start for any good side. At best he’s a utility goal threat you chuck on in the final half hour to potentially snatch a goal. The players you mentioned all have clear roles that can fit into good starting sides and the quality/potential to carry it out. Add on to the fact that they are all younger than McT and it just furthers the fact that they are conventionally going to fetch a higher price.

We should have sold him last summer. I’d take 20 million this summer. He might be worth a bit more than that, but we carry too much deadwood that nobody wants, and that devalues the useful players like McT.

We need to move on from this ‘he’ll do a job’ mentality and get rid of average players who’ve had numerous seasons to prove themselves or we’ll never progress.

McTominay falls into this category and his departure would allow another signing. He’s useless at anything other than chucking up front when you’re chasing a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.