McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has proved to be a great squad player. Obviously. Which is why we don't want to sell him unless we get enough $ to upgrade.
Great? Good squad player I get it but “great squad player”?

I very much doubt he’s leaving. If he is, there’s no way the club are going to take £20m. Regardless of how some rate him as pure crap on here, that’s just not true. He’s not good enough to start for us but he’s a £30m player all day.

Scored 10 goals last season
Can play in multiple positions
Established international
Still has 2 years left of contract (1+1)

Ineos will not just ship off players cheaply. We need to get rid of our perception as absolute pushovers in the transfer market. So far so good for them

I hope we keep him. Remember that our problem this window isn't PSR, it's cash flow.
There is no way that can be true. Unless you're misusing the term cash flow

We might regret not accepting 17m.

The argument is that “he scores goals”. Whether that is to the overall good of the team is open for debate. Regardless of that, he scored 7 league goals last season and in the previous 2 seasons (with a similar amount of matches) he scored 1 and 1. I would expect future seasons to be closer to 1 than 7.

£17 million was a pathetic offer. We were correct in saying no.

We might regret not accepting 17m.

The argument is that “he scores goals”. Whether that is to the overall good of the team is open for debate. Regardless of that, he scored 7 league goals last season and in the previous 2 seasons (with a similar amount of matches) he scored 1 and 1. I would expect future seasons to be closer to 1 than 7.

We hardly used him in the seasons prior as we did last season.. Higher up the pitch when we were pushing for a goal.. If we use him in the same manner as we did last season I expect him to come closer to 7 than to 1..

Unless he wants to go i wouldn't sell, even for 50 quid. He's not what we need when he's a starter but there aren't many players who are better as an impact sub when he enters the box and tries to get a goal.
Eriksen and Amrabat can't do that.

Who comes in if he goes? For this role i can't think of anyone.

I very much doubt he’s leaving. If he is, there’s no way the club are going to take £20m. Regardless of how some rate him as pure crap on here, that’s just not true. He’s not good enough to start for us but he’s a £30m player all day.

Ineos will not just ship off players cheaply. We need to get rid of our perception as absolute pushovers in the transfer market. So far so good for them

He got lucky scoring 10 goals last season, it was a purple patch and hardly likely to be replicated
He can play in multiple positions but he does them all badly
He's an established international....for Scotland
2 years on his contract still doesn't make him a 30 mil player

He can't pass, he can't dribble, he's not press resistant, he's unbelievably limited. If he wasn't a United academy graduate he never would've played for us as even our horrible recruitment team would never have bought him.

We hardly used him in the seasons prior as we did last season.. Higher up the pitch when we were pushing for a goal.. If we use him in the same manner as we did last season I expect him to come closer to 7 than to 1..

If we use him as much as we did last season, we will finish closer to 7th than 1st as well.

If we use him as much as we did last season, we will finish closer to 7th than 1st as well.
That depends.. If we only use him in the last 20 minutes to create havoc in the opponents box if we are unable to break through via other means (which would be the preferred option ofcourse).. I wouldnt mind keeping him around

The problem isn't McTominay, it's that we rely too much on him. He was/is useless as a DM - always has been. He can play as a box to box and more advanced, but even then it comes at the expense of our passing game and also our defensive unit.
People always say this, but IMO two of his best ever runs of form were as a DM. The first month after Rangnick joined and then the first month or two after ETH joined. The only other time he was as good was (from memory) in the latter part of 18/19 when he was playing as an #8.

In the entire time that he's been in the first team, I'd say those three periods are the only times he's played genuinely well for at least a month or more. He's had one-off good or even great games before, maybe two or three in a row, but never put a consistent run together.

I don't really know what my point is here to be honest. I don't rate him as a DM, I don't rate him as an #8 or box-to-box, and I don't rate him as an AM. In each position he has elements of things that can do well, but he's simply far too limited and doesn't do the basics that you want in that role. I guess I just don't agree with the recent trend of saying that he was played out of position all this time and that he should have been used as an AM. As far as I'm concerned, he scores a decent amount of goals in that position but the rest of his game there has been even worse there than it was when he plays deeper. On the flip side, I guess the fact he's further away from our own goal stops him costing us so much.

Negotiate a bit, get at least 17m, that's a fair representation of what he offers, the good thing is we are selling him abroad so we won't worry about him playing against us.

With Saudi last season, and this season every other club are passing players around between themselves for 30m each.

Yet when it comes to United's players it's treated like a bargain boot sale.

We'll agree to disagree, for me McT is worth at least double that, £25m is a good deal for all parties
Fair enough, but when you consider no one is willing to pay that, then we have to compromise, selling him abroad for 17m is better than selling him to say Fulham for 17m, so if we can negotiate that with an overseas club then we should take that and be done with it.

Fair enough, but when you consider no one is willing to pay that, then we have to compromise, selling him abroad for 17m is better than selling him to say Fulham for 17m, so if we can negotiate that with an overseas club then we should take that and be done with it.

Article says £12.6m not £17m

Plays hide&seek while playing in the central midfiled.

Too many people get too sentimental with players. McT has never been an United level of player and he should have been shipped out a long time ago.

People on here and reddit really fall in love with a bunch of stangers kicking a ball who don't even know them. McT should have been sold years ago, same as AWB, Maguire, Lindelof, etc... Players who NEVER managed to be on the required level they need to be to play for United. Lets keep him lets keep him and then be surprised we play like shit because we have many shit players.

Also anybody comparing him to Fletcher needs to get his head checked. Fletcher was like Messi in comparison to McT.

The term squad player is in itself quite ridiculous. But a squad player at Utd should be good enough for first team football…prevented only by those ahead playing at a consistently high level.

Butt was a brilliant squad player. Not deemed a first teamer (initially) but played himself into some very strong, consistent seasons.

Likewise Park, Solskjaer, O’Shea, Fletcher

McTominay isn’t at the standard and given his past years of absolute mediocrity should be shipped at the first reasonable opportunity. 3 good games a season otherwise full of tripe is a long way short of the brilliant squad players we’ve had before him.

Hopefully we become unburdened from him this summer and move forward with a midfield of Bruno, Mount, Mainoo, Ugarte, Casemiro, Collyer…and even Hannibal and Eriksen ahead of him.

Just take the 12 million. It's a big benefit not having him start for us

Fulham and Galatasary so far with official offers? We should’ve bit West Ham’s hand off last season. Bah.

Too many people get too sentimental with players. McT has never been an United level of player and he should have been shipped out a long time ago.

People on here and reddit really fall in love with a bunch of stangers kicking a ball who don't even know them. McT should have been sold years ago, same as AWB, Maguire, Lindelof, etc... Players who NEVER managed to be on the required level they need to be to play for United. Lets keep him lets keep him and then be surprised we play like shit because we have many shit players.

Also anybody comparing him to Fletcher needs to get his head checked. Fletcher was like Messi in comparison to McT.
I'm genuinely, incredibly, very very sorry that Scott McTominay shat in your cornflakes this morning.

Did I dream this or did we receive bids of £30m for both Mctominay and Maguire last summer, and we failed to get either of them out the door?

I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now. We're never going to get better offers than we did last summer for these 2 players.

Gala must be on something to think we'd refuse £17m to accept £12m! But given ESR has just been bought for £27m+£7m we should not be accepting anything below £30m or £25m+£5m.

I'm genuinely, incredibly, very very sorry that Scott McTominay shat in your cornflakes this morning.
I'm genuinely sorry that you can't accept the fact that he is nog good enough and that player adoration is more important than the team as a whole.

McT is NOT good enough, mediocre at best. United fanbase is the only fanbase I know that gets so sentimental about players.

We reportedly received £25 million for Dan James - McT has to be worth more.

I don't see how. Dan offers far more than Scott. Neither is a United level of player but Dan does not hide in games, can carry the ball, create for others, scores goals and is very reliable in terms of assisting his fullback with the defensive workload. Scott is limited to causing a bit of mayhem in the opposition box as a late sub.

Did I dream this or did we receive bids of £30m for both Mctominay and Maguire last summer, and we failed to get either of them out the door?

I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now. We're never going to get better offers than we did last summer for these 2 players.

I cannot be sure without doing far more internet research than I am willing to do but my recollection is that the 30M bid for McTominay is a myth. We definitely had a 30M bid for West Ham for Maguire which was confirmed by the fact it got as far as his agent discussing terms before effectively pulling the plug because they were not going to match his United wages.

The story spread that they had offered a double bid for Maguire and McTominay for 60M however this was flatly denied by West Ham. It is possible/probable that they kicked the tires on McTominay but the noise coming from their side was that they valued him at about half of what we were asking so it never went further than a quick enquiry. For some reason we have now decided to torture ourselves this summer with claims of a solid 30M bid that we rejected despite it never having happened, this is typical Caf behavior and not to be encouraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.