McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
If no good offer we should keep him. He is a very useful squad player giving us different option in attack. IMO, we should be looking at offload Erikson first.

I'm surprised after they spent 40m for ESR but get the feck in if true

Feel Pereira may be on the way out.

In which case we shouldn't sell him

We are at least two midfielders short, he has to be sold so that we can sign at least one. Keeping all these players who aren’t good enough because they have few good games a season is counter productive when we don’t have any viable options at the number six position and poor alternatives to Mainoo.

Anything close to 20m or more means he has to go.

It'll never happen. It just won't. These kind of "bid" tweets show up every season. We're just not lucky enough for them to ever come to fruition.

McTominay, AWB, Lindelof, Maguire, Antony, and Co will all still be here in September.
Maybe but I feel more confident now than I did in previous years

The people coming in are actually football people with strong connections to decision makers at other clubs. It’ll make it easier to find buyers.

I’d personally keep Maguire and McTominay, but seems I’m pretty isolated on that count

I'm confident this might get made if Fulham comes back with a 25m£ bid and some add-ons. Allows at a minimum signing Amrabat or funding the signing of a midfielder with a profile closer to what we need.
That's maybe the last great service McTominay could be expected to do for United.

Last edited:
Not broken up if we don't sell, we should have at least 6 midfielders of Mainoo, Mount, Bruno, Casemiro, Ugarte (?) and one other

I've put ugarte here as a place holder but even with him we need another. People were keen to see back of Fred and i think he would have been a useful player at times last season
Isn't this where young Collyer comes in and if he does well in his cameos and other opportunities then you push out another high earner and upgrade his contract a bit?

What on earth for? He’s just nowhere near good enough to be a Manchester United player. He’s proved that over and over during the last few years.
He has proved to be a great squad player. Obviously. Which is why we don't want to sell him unless we get enough $ to upgrade.

He has proved to be a great squad player. Obviously. Which is why we don't want to sell him unless we get enough $ to upgrade.

That's hyperbolic, isn't it? Let's use superlatives like 'great' for genuinely great squad players. McTominay is a decent to good squad player.

I hope we keep him. Remember that our problem this window isn't PSR, it's cash flow. So it's not like we can sell him for £20m and then go out and buy a £100m player. Even if it was, we'd still be piling IOUs onto IOUs.

And he is a good utility player. Kept Casemiro out of the team for two months as a DM because he was playing well enough to earn the start over a 5-time CL winner. Scored vital goals last season. By all accounts is the hardest worker in training, which some may not appreciate, but it raises the whole squad when somebody takes those exercises that seriously. And that's all forgetting his set pieces threat and his locally trained status for UEFA squads.

Those aren't qualities you can buy for £20m in one go, so selling him now when we have a +1 extension makes little sense. We'll weaken the squad in a number of ways.

He's not a technical passing player, no, but he is a useful and dependable one, and those are more rare. I'm not saying don't sell him at all, but if Fulham's offering is what you were wishing for, I guarantee you'll be complaining twice as fiercely at the next player who comes in.

That's hyperbolic, isn't it? Let's use superlatives like 'great' for genuinely great squad players. McTominay is a decent to good squad player.
Pedant much? A great squad player is almost always a decent to good player. Which McTominay is. Which is why we want a decent fee if he is to leave.

Speaking of squad players, where would the Caf rate Darren Gibson relative to Mc Tominay? Darren had a great shot on him

Speaking of squad players, where would the Caf rate Darren Gibson relative to Mc Tominay? Darren had a great shot on him
Darron Gibson was even more limited than McT though. And squad competition was tougher back then. He had a powerful shot but rarely converted it into goals, so the point is moot. I'd have preferred Fred over McT though. I still think he'd have gotten us into a CL spot had he stayed.

Mc Tominay is 10 times the player Darren was.
Darren had the talent (pass, shoot), but almost no physicality. Great shot.
He was not athletic, didn't make the effort to become athletic. He would not be fit for modern football.
Scott has made the most of his limited talents.

I hope we manage to offload McT for ~£20M and bring in Rabiot. Add someone like Ugarte into the mix and suddenly we will have one of the best midfields going into the season, at least for the style we want to play.

Bruno/Mount
Mainoo/Rabiot - Ugarte/Casemiro​

Eriksen and Collyer are the backups in case of injuries, suspensions or poor performances.

Rumours are that Rabiot's asking for £200Kpw which is fair as long as it doesn't come with an exorbitant sign on fee. But I'd limit it to a 2+1 year deal.

What exactly is he useful for? If he's so useful then why aren’t any other clubs interested in signing him? Just completely lacking in basic talent. He’s a big nothing of a player.
Silly opinions like "lacking in basic talent. He’s a big nothing of a player" is probably why you have accumulated zero likes so far.

McTominay isn't a superstar but he is a solid PL player and will be a good backup/squad player for us unless Fulham up their 17 million offer. And a number of clubs are interested by all accounts. Fulham have bid 17 mill already and may up it.

I hope we keep him. Remember that our problem this window isn't PSR, it's cash flow. So it's not like we can sell him for £20m and then go out and buy a £100m player. Even if it was, we'd still be piling IOUs onto IOUs.

And he is a good utility player. Kept Casemiro out of the team for two months as a DM because he was playing well enough to earn the start over a 5-time CL winner. Scored vital goals last season. By all accounts is the hardest worker in training, which some may not appreciate, but it raises the whole squad when somebody takes those exercises that seriously. And that's all forgetting his set pieces threat and his locally trained status for UEFA squads.

Those aren't qualities you can buy for £20m in one go, so selling him now when we have a +1 extension makes little sense. We'll weaken the squad in a number of ways.

He's not a technical passing player, no, but he is a useful and dependable one, and those are more rare. I'm not saying don't sell him at all, but if Fulham's offering is what you were wishing for, I guarantee you'll be complaining twice as fiercely at the next player who comes in.

The problem isn't McTominay, it's that we rely too much on him. He was/is useless as a DM - always has been. He can play as a box to box and more advanced, but even then it comes at the expense of our passing game and also our defensive unit. He's a decent enough squad player as he is good at defending our box, and he is good in the opposition box. Everything in between he is found lacking. The problem is when he plays as a starter. He can play either to see out games defending deep or to chase a goal in the last 15.

If we can keep him and buy a quality starter in midfield, then great. If he funds that player, then he needs to go.

What exactly is he useful for? If he's so useful then why aren’t any other clubs interested in signing him? Just completely lacking in basic talent. He’s a big nothing of a player.
Completely this! If Fulham up their offer to £25million we should be cashing in, I'd sooner play Hannibal ffs at least he has some quality on the ball. The fact it's Fulham looking at him tells us the level others perceive him at. This summer imo will be the last opportunity to get a reasonable fee for him.

I think anything close to 20m+5m would be a good deal for us. It's time for him to move on too. He needs to be a starter for the benefit of his career and Fulham would be a good move.

We might regret not accepting 17m.

The argument is that “he scores goals”. Whether that is to the overall good of the team is open for debate. Regardless of that, he scored 7 league goals last season and in the previous 2 seasons (with a similar amount of matches) he scored 1 and 1. I would expect future seasons to be closer to 1 than 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.