McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats just BS statement, if he didnt start in the first place we could nick many more goals. asa hes just not good defensively and absolute dosgite at building any attack. Any player in his position would score goals. Bring Mguire up top and he will score those. Thats 100%. Hoofing the balls like 18th team in the league.
Interesting. Except, nobody else did. We couldn't score goals at all last season. Rashford, Bruno, Hojlund and Garnacho struggled to find the net. McTominay found 10 goals mainly as a sub. So no, you couldn't just stick anybody on the end of a "hoof ball" and expect a goal because nobody else. He did and he turned a couple of draws into wins and a losses into draws. He's not a bad option to have 10 goals from your bench.

I wouldn’t have McT at the top of my list of players to offload, especially not for the £15m we’ve been offered. He isn’t going to be a starter for us, which for the most part, it looks like he accepts. He is useful off the bench and can get a goal too. I think if an offer of over £20m came in then that might change things, but I’d be happy keeping him as a squad player for the foreseeable.

I wouldn’t have McT at the top of my list of players to offload, especially not for the £15m we’ve been offered. He isn’t going to be a starter for us, which for the most part, it looks like he accepts. He is useful off the bench and can get a goal too. I think if an offer of over £20m came in then that might change things, but I’d be happy keeping him as a squad player for the foreseeable.
Yep. A useful impact sub/backup who can score 5 - 10 goals a season is worth more than £15m to us or frankly, any team.

Really hope that doesn't mean their interest in McTominay is over with

What has Smith-Rowe done in the past couple of seasons to fetch a price tag that is double what they bid for McTominay? Head scratcher.

What has Smith-Rowe done in the past couple of seasons to fetch a price tag that is double what they bid for McTominay? Head scratcher.
17m for Mctominay was a pisstake however, at 23, with Smith-Rowe they're paying for potential. Whereas Mctominay will have very little resale value.

He plays for Arsenal and McT plays for Man Utd. It's our reputation. We were absolute clown in the market. We buy high and sell low for more than a decade.

Smith Rowe and Pereria cant fit together, Arsenal should’ve sold him to Chelsea last summer

He missed 9 games due to one injury last season. Mctominay was injured for 14 games in total last season.
Transfermarkt tells a story of a injury prone player. 609 days in 5 seasons and 132 games missed.

Season
23/24 46 days2 Injuries 10 Games missed
22/23121 days1 Injury 21 GM
20/2191 days1 Injury 30 GM
19/20141 days2 Injuries 36 GM
18/19210 days4 Injuries 35 GM

Smith Rowe and Pereria cant fit together, Arsenal should’ve sold him to Chelsea last summer
Agreed. Feel bad for Pereira if he’s being phased out, he’s been really solid for them.

Smith Rowe will currently be on much lower wages than McT and is already a better more rounded player. Not that much of a head scratcher if you take the Utd glasses off.

Agreed. Feel bad for Pereira if he’s being phased out, he’s been really solid for them.

Smith Rowe will currently be on much lower wages than McT and is already a better more rounded player. Not that much of a head scratcher if you take the Utd glasses off.
If both Smith Rowe and Perreira are fit, ESR is easily the better player.

Smith Rowe is crocked, this is not news.
I haven't seen much of him over the past couple of years and I assumed that's because Arsenal have better players starting ahead of him now. I looked at his injury record from last season and it wasn't that bad, but now I've seen his injury record from the season before that, I guess I can see why people think he's crocked.

17m for Mctominay was a pisstake however, at 23, with Smith-Rowe they're paying for potential. Whereas Mctominay will have very little resale value.
McTominay is an established international with 250 club games. If 35m gets you a potentially injured homegrown player wouldn't the established part get a much higher fee.

McTominay is an established international with 250 club games. If 35m gets you a potentially injured homegrown player wouldn't the established part get a much higher fee.
Resale value is important to clubs now more than ever with PSR. I could understand why nobody would want to spend more than 30m on Mctominay because if they wanted to sell him in a couple of years then they're not going to get that money back for him.

Not when the established international is considerably older and worse, no

Really hope that doesn't mean their interest in McTominay is over with

How are they able to get up to £35m for a player who has some 100 odd appearances in 6 years and is a bit injury prone (if I am correct), while no one is ready to stump up £30m for a PL midfielder who got 10 goals last season. This basically funds their Calafiori transfer. Annoying!

It's not really 1:1 is it? The disparity is rather significant. We want a transfer fee of around what they are buying Smith Rowe for, plus McTominay will either want his wages matched or bettered to lower himself to a smaller club.

McTominay is already earning less than he's used to with the no CL clause - potentially he gets that back at the end of this season, too. And there's no way he gets his full wage at any other club. He's not the kind of player Saudi Arabia would be interested in, and probably wouldn't want to move there anyway, so what options does he - or we - have?

In the end, we'll either have to lower our transfer demands, or the player won't be going anywhere. I bet Fulham's initial offer was similar as a package valuation to what they're now spending elsewhere. It'll be a running theme this window if we insist on £30m+ for McTominay.

We are still horrible in terms of our ability in marketing and selling our cast offs. I mean 17m for McT? Van De Beek for the price of an apartment? That's silly. This will hinder our ability to buy unfortunately. Hopefully Ashworth will have that sorted by next summer.

Minimum 30m pounds should be our stand.

We shouldn't be focused on the transfer fee but what he's worth is as a player for us and what we can do with the money we get from him.

Is McT useful for us? He's only decent as a no 10 when we go hoofing the ball up. What if we get 24m? That's pure profit which in turn would allow us to pay the first installments for a 60-70m player.

How the feck can Smithe Rowe be worth £35m and McTominay be half that according to Fulham. I'd stay firm, feck it. Too many clubs trying to low ball us.

We shouldn't be focused on the transfer fee but what he's worth is as a player for us and what we can do with the money we get from him.

Is McT useful for us? He's only decent as a no 10 when we go hoofing the ball up. What if we get 24m? That's pure profit which in turn would allow us to pay the first installments for a 60-70m player.

He scored several game saving goals for us last season. He is happy to sit on the bench and turns up with goals when called upon and is on decent wages. He is a full Scotland International and is a regular for them. He allows us to play a different game when nothing is working out for us. Fulham just bought a player who hasn't started games in two season back of a injury from Arsenal. Putting all together i think he's definitely worth more than what Fulham is offering.

How the feck can Smithe Rowe be worth £35m and McTominay be half that according to Fulham. I'd stay firm, feck it. Too many clubs trying to low ball us.
Just shows you that he’s not rated all that much by other clubs. There’s in reality very interest in him like last summer. Damning verdict on him really as if he was as ‘useful’ as some make out on here surly quite a few clubs would want him. Only Moyes made an opportunistic bid for him last year and no one so far is prepared to even match that after his great goalscoring exploits last season. The reality is he is a very mediocre player wholly lacking in the basic abilities of a premiership midfielder who happened to score a few goals last season. There’s absolutely nothing in his record that suggests he will do that again. Any player can have a purple patch for a short while, look at Rashford in the season before last. Steve Bruce once scored 13 goals in a season once from centre half which was more than McTomminey managed last season from an advanced midfield position. He has no place at a club like Manchester United, unless of course you’re happy with wallowing around in 8th with a negative goal difference. Just get what you can get for him and give his minutes to an up and coming player.

He scored several game saving goals for us last season. He is happy to sit on the bench and turns up with goals when called upon and is on decent wages. He is a full Scotland International and is a regular for them. He allows us to play a different game when nothing is working out for us. Fulham just bought a player who hasn't started games in two season back of a injury from Arsenal. Putting all together i think he's definitely worth more than what Fulham is offering.

Our transfer budget is limited and we're struggling to move players out for a reasonable amount of money (ex Casemiro).

McT is one of the few players we can sell and he'll represent pure profit. In simple terms his sale might be the difference between us buying Ugarte or buying Amrabat, between us buying Fofana or sticking to Eriksen or between us buying De Ligt or sticking to Maguire. Now ask yourself is it worth keeping a player whose only attribute is to score a goal from a header during full panic mode or if we should sell and get a better player in. Lets not forget that if we keep McT then we will have to give him a new contract. In that case we'll probably never sell him.

Quite frankly if someone comes with 24m I'd sell.

How the feck can Smithe Rowe be worth £35m and McTominay be half that according to Fulham.

Smith-Rowe is 23, McTominay is 27. Not only is there the potential for him to be at the club longer, they also have a much greater chance of getting a fee back for him at a later date, which directly impacts their respective values now.

And more to the point, there's quite a strong chance Smith-Rowe will just outright be a better player than McTominay. In terms of basic output his only season of semi-regular PL football saw him produce 0.56 goals/assists per 90, as opposed to McTominay's career-best of 0.38.

Our transfer budget is limited and we're struggling to move players out for a reasonable amount of money (ex Casemiro).

McT is one of the few players we can sell and he'll represent pure profit. In simple terms his sale might be the difference between us buying Ugarte or buying Amrabat, between us buying Fofana or sticking to Eriksen or between us buying De Ligt or sticking to Maguire. Now ask yourself is it worth keeping a player whose only attribute is to score a goal from a header during full panic mode or if we should sell and get a better player in. Lets not forget that if we keep McT then we will have to give him a new contract. In that case we'll probably never sell him.

Quite frankly if someone comes with 24m I'd sell.
I see where you're coming from. I think Fulham will up their bid and they still have Palhinha money. Hope we squeeze as much as possible.

Smith-Rowe is 23, McTominay is 27. Not only is there the potential for him to be at the club longer, they also have a much greater chance of getting a fee back for him at a later date, which directly impacts their respective values now.

And more to the point, there's quite a strong chance Smith-Rowe will just outright be a better player than McTominay. In terms of basic output his only season of semi-regular PL football saw him produce 0.56 goals/assists per 90, as opposed to McTominay's career-best of 0.38.
All good points but Smith-Rowe seems a bit of a gamble for that amount of money with his injury record. I think Fulham should have tried to push it down or get it more add-on heavy. Arsenal have done well to get that much for him considering how little he's played recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.