McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re reading it wrong. Football has changed in the last year. PSR rules. Were it to happen today nobody would be spending 80m on Antony or any other player. Newcastle would not be quoting 50m for Longstaff. Football is now a case if look after every penny

Not really sure about this. It's still the same in certain level. We are still being quoted for two unwanted players at their club, Ugarte 70m Euro and De Ligt 50m + add ons Euro (with high wages).

Not really difficult, this one.

40m, snaps their hands off.

20m, feck off.

30m, depends on circs.

How the feck can Smithe Rowe be worth £35m and McTominay be half that according to Fulham. I'd stay firm, feck it. Too many clubs trying to low ball us.

It really has to be just down to age and contract length. McT is older and only has 1 year left on his contract. ESR is younger, although he's injury prone but he has 2 years left and possibly another year option held by the club.

Neither is worth anything over 20m.

I really can´t see McTominay as a 40M player. Or anywhere near that. Yep he scored important goals last season but i don´t believe he will do it again. If someone offers anything near 30M, sell him. Especially if it helps us to sign some starting 11 player. I think he is a great example of lower mid table player.

This was good offer but luckily we didn't sell. End up both of them made vital contributions last season. If the same offer came in this season we will sell.
Alternatively if we had taken that money we may have used it to buy players who would have made the team stronger, and who ultimately contributed more than McTominay and Maguire. We'll never know.

similar thing happened last summer I think after we rejected West Ham's offer and they went for someone else

there aren't too many PL teams he's suited too nowadays so I doubt he's leaving

still, at least he's useful off the bench

Alternatively if we had taken that money we may have used it to buy players who would have made the team stronger, and who ultimately contributed more than McTominay and Maguire. We'll never know.
This year with Ineos Team yes maybe, last season with Murtough, no chance. We would have wasted the 60m with a mediocre player from Eredivisie.

How did we reject 30m last year, can not understand.
I thought we accepted a bid from Fulham last summer because they had allowed Paulinho to join Bayern. But Scott decided he was too good for Fulham and rejected it which meant Paulinho couldnt join Bayern even though he had already done the medical. I cant remember where I read this.

Not really sure about this. It's still the same in certain level. We are still being quoted for two unwanted players at their club, Ugarte 70m Euro and De Ligt 50m + add ons Euro (with high wages).
They still think PL clubs are the golden goose. They’ll catch up to reality when their players go unsold

So has Johan Djorou. It's a pretty inflated sum they are paying, while they lowball us on a more proven player.

He was as good as saka at one point, but then got injured and never came back. ESR can do a cole palmer if he stays fit. 35m is based on add ons which I beleive will be linked to how many games he will actually play for fulham. Fulham will be naive to spend that much on a unfit player.

He was as good as saka at one point, but then got injured and never came back. ESR can do a cole palmer if he stays fit. 35m is based on add ons which I beleive will be linked to how many games he will actually play for fulham. Fulham will be naive to spend that much on a unfit player.

Was cole plamer coming back from injuries if not. Then fulham are hoping he both stays fit and fulfills his potential, thats a big risk. Would you be happy if arsenal shelved out a big sum for Ansu Fati?

I don't think ESR can do a Palmer, I also realize he was highly rated at Arsenal but you folks tend to also overrate your youngsters frequently. Palmer was very highly regarded at City for a long time for example, he didn't just pop up out of nowhere, ESR while talented I've never seen him back up that talent.

I don't think ESR can do a Palmer, I also realize he was highly rated at Arsenal but you folks tend to also overrate your youngsters frequently. Palmer was very highly regarded at City for a long time for example, he didn't just pop up out of nowhere, ESR while talented I've never seen him back up that talent.

He scored 10 league goals in 21/22

We know hes a good player, he wasnt doing it for the Arsenal youth teams he did in the first team in the premier league. Btw he did it in about 30 mins more playtime than McTominay got his 7 league goals last season...

There are players that I would happily see us jettison at any cost just to get shot, the likes of Lindelof, Casemiro, and Antony who are really not offering anything worth holding on to a costing money, but McT not unless we get a very decent offer for him,

As a squad player he offers a fair bit, last season his goals got us 15 points and to the FA cup final, without McT's contribution last season much of it from the bench ETH would be well out of a job, and people are chomping at the bit to get rid of McT (actually helping ETH keep his job could go against him :))

If McT is happy to be a squad player, be an impact sub, fill in cup games or games against lesser opposition, then I think we would be daft to even contemplate an offer under £40m, how much are 10 goals a season worth?

Don't get me wrong, I know McT clearly has flaws in his game, he is not a complete defender, midfielder, attacker or anything basically, he would not be in my 1st 11, but he would definitely have a spot on my bench, I was lucky enough to enjoy the whole of SAF's reign, and remember well the squad players that made the success not just the 1st 11, right now McT is probably the best squad player we have IMO

I’d happily keep McTominay as a squad player.

His wages aren’t astronomical and albeit limited he does offer something.

Wouldn’t be sad to see him sold for a good offer mind.

Surely if Edu/Arteta saw it that way then there's no way he'd be leaving.

Elanga is the type of player other clubs sell for 30m we sold for less than 20m. Andreas to Fulham for less than 10 they would never sell him for less tham 25m today. Arsenal are selling an injury prone kid for 35m . Smith rowe played 14 games in 22/23 and started 3 games of a whooping 19 last season. For 35m i would be pissed if United spent that much on someone with such a record. Mctominay is far more valuable than fans in this forum believe.

Problem is Mctominay is on £80k a week (ESR is £40k) which is £2m more a year already coupled with the fact that Mctominay is older (Lower resale value), additionally Mctominay only has 1 year on his contract so they aren't comparable situations

Markets for Scott and AWB are drying up, going to start getting comfortable with the idea that they are here this season and that we lose at least AWB for nothing at the end of the year.

Markets for Scott and AWB are drying up, going to start getting comfortable with the idea that they are here this season and that we lose at least AWB for nothing at the end of the year.
Fulham buying ESR and more than likely Andre and West Ham buying Mazaroui, I think we're keeping them this summer. We've priced ourselves out.

He turns 28 this year, has had one season where he has scored a decent number of goals, no sell on potential and he’d probably want 100k a week or more on wages. Factor in that more and more teams want players who are good on the ball and it means the market for him is very small. A lot of teams probably don’t view him as a guaranteed starter and therefore don’t want to be paying the fee and salary of a starter.

I can see why figures of 25-30m get talked about given some of the other fees paid but I can’t see which team in the league would be willing to pay it.

True. But it was more like we HAD to sell him and they all knew it. Surprised we weren't lowballed even more
I think our inability to sell players for good fees is mostly down to the quality of the players we're trying to sell. With Greenwood, you won't find many other players that good at his age so there's more competition to sign him (and its competition that heavily influences a price). With McT there are dozens of players you could sign instead of him that could be equal or better. It's all supply and demand. We really should have taken the 30m offer last summer.

If you keep aside expectations from United player then McT is quite a decent player for any mid table club.

We struggle to sell players because the club overvalues them and for some bizarre reason, a huge number here on the caf agree with this ridiculous strategy.

We got zero to peanuts for the likes of Romero, Darmian, Rojo, Bailly and Lingard. There was interest in all of these players but we tried getting high fees and the potential suitors moved on to other targets.

We are making the same mistake here with McTominay. I agree that 17m is too low but we should be accepting anything above 20.

I can see Scott, AWB, Lindelof and Maguire all sucking up the wage bill next season and dipping out on a free like the players mentioned above because we get too greedy with our valuations. The same fans who moan about us being "poor sellers" and not getting market value for sales will moan about losing these players for free.

We can't magically make other clubs interested in our deadwood and want to pay big fees. Especially when the market is rife with cheaper alternatives. Also, a lot of our players would explode other team's wage bills.

Surely we would have activated it by now if we really wanted to keep him.
Actually, I think we might have already. We'll have to check.
Would be very strange if we did. There is nothing to gain by activating his +1 until December.

Even with Shaw we waited til about 2 weeks before he was free to negotiate with foreign clubs, before giving him a fresh deal the following April.

Problem is Mctominay is on £80k a week (ESR is £40k) which is £2m more a year already coupled with the fact that Mctominay is older (Lower resale value), additionally Mctominay only has 1 year on his contract so they aren't comparable situations

Mctominay is on 60k according to most sites. Manchester united have to option to extend Mctominays contract which essentially makes a 2 year contract. Mctominay played 43 vs esr's 33 over 2 years.

Smith-Rowe is on something in the 100-120k per week range by most reports but a club like Fulham can pay that no problem.

ESR is an exciting gamble for a side like Fulham. His injury record is poor but he is very talented and still young and there is a scenario where you he stays healthy, has a breakout year, and then Fulham have an English international star on their hands that they can ride for a few seasons and eventually sell for a significant profit. ESR also works within the context of a team like Fulham that wants to be able to play with the ball against the weaker sides and needs creative players to feed a classic CF like Muniz - he'll play LW where Willian played sometimes, CAM instead of Pereira sometimes. In contrast, its not really clear how McTominay works within the Fulham side. He's not enough of a true DM to be a replacement for Palhinha, he's not the type of attacking midfielder they seem to prefer, they already have both Harrison and Iwobi as box-to-box players.

McTominay is a hard player to fit into a side, for the same reasons that United has found. Its easy to say that some midtable side should want that kind of box crashing midfielder but most of these teams have managers with different tactical ideas. There aren't many Moyes types managing in the PL anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.