McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we want to be a team playing out from the back, keep possession and have positional disciplined pressing, he needs to go. His cameos from the bench, are fine when the gameplan goes out the window, arriving late in the box and knicking a goal. Crazy to keep him as a long term option. Scott never shows for the ball. When we are playing out, he's rarely in the correct position to receive. You cash in now and get a player suited to ETH system. The really good sides have a system, don't have to change it because lack of options. Time to move players on that don't fit, too many hangers on. Get rid of them.

He would do well for a club like Fulham, West Ham or Everton.

But I think McTom (and Maguire) still thinks he belongs at a team in the CL (which is a bit ironic because United are rarely ever in the CL) so would rather stay at United than move down the league for more regular football.

No concrete offers so far?

Feels a little like Wan Bissaka where the money that we'd realistically get doesn't seem to be worth losing the squad player status they give.

However, that's also how we end up full of players in the not quite the level we need boat.

Academy player, any fee is all profit, for a player that doesn't make any sense to keep if the club needs money

Even at £10M you've basically covered Zirkzee's signing

No concrete offers so far?

Feels a little like Wan Bissaka where the money that we'd realistically get doesn't seem to be worth losing the squad player status they give.

However, that's also how we end up full of players in the not quite the level we need boat.
We should sell for any fee we can get above 20m, if we bring Ugarte or any
DM over the line we don't really need Scot. Bruno, in his natural role, creates and scores more than McT; Mainoo is the centrepiece of our midfield whilst Eriksen, Mount, Casemiro and hopefully Collyer/Gore are enough for depth across the three positions.

The 50 or so million we could get from the sale of Lindelof, Scot and AWB can buy us a versatile fullback and go towards the purchase of a De Ligt. De Ligt, Martinez, Yoro, Maguire and Evans is a nice set of CBs to have whilst Shaw, Dalot, Malacia and a New Signing that can play both RB and LB will be sufficient depth for the FB roles.

We should sell for any fee we can get above 20m, if we bring Ugarte or any
DM over the line we don't really need Scot. Bruno, in his natural role, creates and scores more than McT; Mainoo is the centrepiece of our midfield whilst Eriksen, Mount, Casemiro and hopefully Collyer/Gore are enough for depth across the three positions.

The 50 or so million we could get from the sale of Lindelof, Scot and AWB can buy us a versatile fullback and go towards the purchase of a De Ligt. De Ligt, Martinez, Yoro, Maguire and Evans is a nice set of CBs to have whilst Shaw, Dalot, Malacia and a New Signing that can play both RB and LB will be sufficient depth for the FB roles.

Will we get 50m from those 3 though? Not seen any Lindelof links, and we don't seem to have any whispers of McTom or Wan Bissaka over 15/17m each.

Will we get 50m from those 3 though? Not seen any Lindelof links, and we don't seem to have any whispers of McTom or Wan Bissaka over 15/17m each.
If we push McT's to around 23m, get 17m-20m for AWB and 10m for Lindelof it could work. McT and AWB will attract PL interest and we can get 5m more for both combined and get around 3m less for Lindelof. In my view these are the weakest players we have from either a technical (McT and AWB) or a physical perspective (Lindelof) and by replacing both with players who possess a more balanced skillset (between technical ability and physicality) we will raise the floor of the whole side.

On a side note I am disappointed a bit that we don't seem to have links to young English players from the Championship and League 1, given that we have Wilcox who spent a year in the Championship. What I wished for was that once the likes of Lindelof, AWB and McTominay leave we would replace them with young players brought in at low cost who can grow into reliable squad players for the first team so that we become reduce the overall cost of our squad. Ideally, if we spend 150m on players annually (that seems to be a ballpark range) we should have about 30m to spend on well scouted punts from less obvious sources.

Feelings aside about him, our managers must realize that you can't get new shiny toys without selling some old stuff.
It would be crazy to refuse to take a profit of 20 mil on Mctalentless. Especially because he is out of contract next year.

Feelings aside about him, our managers must realize that you can't get new shiny toys without selling some old stuff.
It would be crazy to refuse to take a profit of 20 mil on Mctalentless. Especially because he is out of contract next year.
We have an option to extend so its basically a 2 year contract. Why should we sell our assets for cheap when everyone gets the premium from us. We sold fulham Andreas for less than 10m and if they sold him they would get around 30m or more for him. Same goes for Elanga who we sold for cheap at less than 20m, forest wouldnt sell him for less than 30m today.

Mctominay is easily a 30m+ asset.

You are right, he is a comfort blanket to fall on when the team doesn't play well but ETH has to realize that for us to be consistent we need depth and the players that make up that depth have to have a certain level of technical reliability. Foregoing a pure profit sale now is not strategically sound.

Is name calling like that really necessary?

I want to cry

Not too fussed about this. I don't think we'll sign more than 2 midfielders at most and could be that in the end we just sign one. So the order of CMs leaving to accommodate new signings should be Casemiro, Eriksen and then McTominay. The former two are no longer physically up to the PL and on much higher wages. They need to leave first before we look to get rid of McTominay.

We have an option to extend so its basically a 2 year contract. Why should we sell our assets for cheap when everyone gets the premium from us. We sold fulham Andreas for less than 10m and if they sold him they would get around 30m or more for him. Same goes for Elanga who we sold for cheap at less than 20m, forest wouldnt sell him for less than 30m today.

Hypothetically, if there was an identical player out there with a £30m release clause, would you want us to buy that player?

I wouldn't.

20million profit is a nice way of wording it, but obviously a home grown player costs 0 in that sense.
We should more be thinking what the market value is of such a player, and a mid 20s guy who pops up with 10 goals a season should really be a lot more than 20m

He would do well for a club like Fulham, West Ham or Everton.

But I think McTom (and Maguire) still thinks he belongs at a team in the CL (which is a bit ironic because United are rarely ever in the CL) so would rather stay at United than move down the league for more regular football.
That's a lot of mind reading that you admit yourself is a little nonsensical.

Maguire you can say he got cushy wages but that's not even the case for McTominay.
Maybe he just is fine playing for the club ?
Besides it's not like players can just conjure higher bids even if they're interested in moving.

Would love for us to move on from him, Casemiro and Eriksen and promote some youth and sign a couple of players like Ugarte and someone unknown like that Rios (Colombian) we’ve been linked with.

Only if a club is willing to offer that

Would love for us to move on from him, Casemiro and Eriksen and promote some youth and sign a couple of players like Ugarte and someone unknown like that Rios (Colombian) we’ve been linked with.

Yeah so would I too but doubt they all go

no need to disrespect Scottie :(

Awful player who needs to leave the club for me to really be convinced of the club leadership. You cannot be a top club while giving a technically incompetent midfielder like McTominay substantial minutes. I don't care if he scored some vital goals for us last season, FA Cup win aside, we had an awful season. His attitude is good but his quality is not. With the likes of Sancho and Rashford, they might have the quality but not the attitude. All need to go.

Awful player who needs to leave the club for me to really be convinced of the club leadership. You cannot be a top club while giving a technically incompetent midfielder like McTominay substantial minutes. I don't care if he scored some vital goals for us last season, FA Cup win aside, we had an awful season. His attitude is good but his quality is not. With the likes of Sancho and Rashford, they might have the quality but not the attitude. All need to go.

The problem with him is Utd feel they aren't being offered enough so far, in terms of Sancho and bestie Rashford their wages are an enormous sticking point.

I'd love Maguire, Rashford, Sancho, AWB to go and get rid of the Rot at the club along with Scott.

Not too fussed about this. I don't think we'll sign more than 2 midfielders at most and could be that in the end we just sign one. So the order of CMs leaving to accommodate new signings should be Casemiro, Eriksen and then McTominay. The former two are no longer physically up to the PL and on much higher wages. They need to leave first before we look to get rid of McTominay.

Disagree on the order you mention.

From a squad balance perspective, Scott and Eriksen should leave before Casemiro. We currently have 4 players (Mainoo, Eriksen, McT, Mount and arguably Bruno) available/competing for the 8 role, and currently only one natural player who can play as a 6 (and Mainoo who can do a job there).

From a financial perspective, I would probably agree Casemiro would be the priority. I don’t know the ins and outs of our financials, however, I’d guess chopping Varane and Martial from our wage bill is already saving a huge amount. You could also argue though, that selling McT for pure PSR profit and shifting Eriksen and his not insignificant wages would actually have a bigger financial impact that Casemiro.

Signing another DM is the absolute next priority, and I think it should be funded by selling McT and Eriksen as per the above. If we are able to then shift Casemiro too, it should be for another 6 or 6/8 hybrid to directly replace him in the squad.

That's a lot of mind reading that you admit yourself is a little nonsensical.

Maguire you can say he got cushy wages but that's not even the case for McTominay.
Maybe he just is fine playing for the club ?
Besides it's not like players can just conjure higher bids even if they're interested in moving.
Yep. He might be quite happy playing the odd cup game and non-important league game under this new ownership group. His wages would reflect that as well.

Keeping McTominay was even more inevitable than keeping Amrabat once the manager decision was made.

His goals bailed us out to the tune of like 10-13 points. He represents the difference between 8th place United and bottom half finishing United.

Disagree on the order you mention.

From a squad balance perspective, Scott and Eriksen should leave before Casemiro. We currently have 4 players (Mainoo, Eriksen, McT, Mount and arguably Bruno) available/competing for the 8 role, and currently only one natural player who can play as a 6 (and Mainoo who can do a job there).

From a financial perspective, I would probably agree Casemiro would be the priority. I don’t know the ins and outs of our financials, however, I’d guess chopping Varane and Martial from our wage bill is already saving a huge amount. You could also argue though, that selling McT for pure PSR profit and shifting Eriksen and his not insignificant wages would actually have a bigger financial impact that Casemiro.

Signing another DM is the absolute next priority, and I think it should be funded by selling McT and Eriksen as per the above. If we are able to then shift Casemiro too, it should be for another 6 or 6/8 hybrid to directly replace him in the squad.
Casemiro absolutely cannot function as a lone number 6 anymore. Him staying on as backup doesn't make sense given his wages. The only way to accommodate Casemiro is essentially playing a 4 man midfield which means not getting the best out of the likes of Garnacho and Amad.

So from both squad balance and financial perspective, Casemiro has to be the first to go unless we are planning on changing formation. And given the pre season games it doesn't look that way.

He is part of the reason we got 8th place.
Life is funny. Perspectives everywhere you look.

I also like that people talk about as if every club (us included) could now expect him to chip in with 10 goals or so... Because he did it once.

Really really hope, that this is part of the charade and that Ineos are looking at other options as well. He is a great guy but he has to make way

Every season hes proving how shit he is and that we still have offers for him is just incredible. And we are not letting him go, thats quite insane considering how much he will stink the place and how easily we could reinvest the money. Basically promoting anyone from the academy could save us money for his squad place while we could invest elsewhere but yeah manager being clueles wants to have him uptop nicking few random goals.

Maybe he should focus to build the proper game around players who dont have 8 passes per game and can position themselves to save their live on and off the ball.

Keeping McTominay was even more inevitable than keeping Amrabat once the manager decision was made.

His goals bailed us out to the tune of like 10-13 points. He represents the difference between 8th place United and bottom half finishing United.
Thats just BS statement, if he didnt start in the first place we could nick many more goals. asa hes just not good defensively and absolute dosgite at building any attack. Any player in his position would score goals. Bring Mguire up top and he will score those. Thats 100%. Hoofing the balls like 18th team in the league.

Thats just BS statement, if he didnt start in the first place we could nick many more goals. asa hes just not good defensively and absolute dosgite at building any attack. Any player in his position would score goals. Bring Mguire up top and he will score those. Thats 100%. Hoofing the balls like 18th team in the league.

A lot of these points he won us was coming on as a sub. He was the biggest bail-out player in the squad last season, probably after Bruno.

So it doesn't matter how terrible he is as a midfielder starting games. ETH knows throwing him on up front has worked several times in the past, so his value to a failing system becomes even higher.

Has to say he's staying in public or we will end up getting even more lowballed than Fulham tried

Status
Not open for further replies.