McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the delusions of last summer about what fee this guy should command have resurfaced once again. £35M-£40M because he scored some goals from the bench for the first time in his career. Incomprehensible to me how anyone can watch him play for an extended period of time and think United should be getting this much money for him. Man's a ghost in the midfield. The way his international caps are being pointed out, you'd think it's Holland, or Croatia, and not Scotland.

If someone offers £20M, snap their hands off and run. Pure profit, very good. He can't be here another season when the club needs cash for transfers.

Feels like a similar reaction to how Everton fans reacted to us buying Yoro

We were being quoted 50m for Longstaff, 80m for Antony and the likes when we want to buy. But when we want to sell other club only willing to pay 17m for McT.

This is another area the new football structure need to address urgently. With this kind of reputation no wonder we have wasted more than 1 bil and our squad is nowhere near good enough. Thanks Woody.

I see the delusions of last summer about what fee this guy should command have resurfaced once again. £35M-£40M because he scored some goals from the bench for the first time in his career. Incomprehensible to me how anyone can watch him play for an extended period of time and think United should be getting this much money for him. Man's a ghost in the midfield. The way his international caps are being pointed out, you'd think it's Holland, or Croatia, and not Scotland.

If someone offers £20M, snap their hands off and run. Pure profit, very good. He can't be here another season when the club needs cash for transfers.
I see Zrizkee being like for like replacement & up-grade of McT. 20mil + add ons and sell

We were being quoted 50m for Longstaff, 80m for Antony and the likes when we want to buy. But when we want to sell other club only willing to pay 17m for McT.

This is another area the new football structure need to address urgently. With this kind of reputation no wonder we have wasted more than 1 bil and our squad is nowhere near good enough. Thanks Woody.
Woody & Morutghough should be banned from football.

Also, United had a chance to sell him for 30m last season and they rejected the bid.

He's not rated by other clubs in the same way people at United and some fans rate him.

I’d rather keep McTominay than get 20 mil for him. His impact off the bench last year was huge. It’s hard to replace that

Just shows you that he’s not rated all that much by other clubs. There’s in reality very interest in him like last summer. Damning verdict on him really as if he was as ‘useful’ as some make out on here surly quite a few clubs would want him. Only Moyes made an opportunistic bid for him last year and no one so far is prepared to even match that after his great goalscoring exploits last season. The reality is he is a very mediocre player wholly lacking in the basic abilities of a premiership midfielder who happened to score a few goals last season. There’s absolutely nothing in his record that suggests he will do that again. Any player can have a purple patch for a short while, look at Rashford in the season before last. Steve Bruce once scored 13 goals in a season once from centre half which was more than McTomminey managed last season from an advanced midfield position. He has no place at a club like Manchester United, unless of course you’re happy with wallowing around in 8th with a negative goal difference. Just get what you can get for him and give his minutes to an up and coming player.
While I've long been someone who has criticised McTominay and do think he should be sold for someone who provides more to the team as a whole, the goal-scoring is one thing he should get credit for. He's always had a good shot on him and been a good finisher, it's just that he rarely got in positions to score. The reason he scored more last season was because he played in a more attacking position which allowed him to get on the end of more chances, and I fully expect he would continue to score at a similar rate while playing that position.

The issue of course is that his goal scoring isn't actually 'that' good for someone playing as an attacker. And his all-round game is even worse there than it was when played as a midfielder.

While those figures were obviously ridiculous, players who are stepping up to a top team will always be more expensive than one who has failed at a top team and is stepping down a level.

Also, United had a chance to sell him for 30m last season and they rejected the bid.

He's not rated by other clubs in the same way people at United and some fans rate him.
It was the most idiotic decision possible. A few of us said it at the time and were as usual shouted down on here. If someone offers you
anything near £30m for Mctominay, you take it and run. Now we're stuck with the guy. Beggars cannot be choosers. The club brass and fans need to understand this. We have no standing whatsoever to be asking for top Dollar for garbage. Just because we overpaid means sweet FA.

Feck Fulham, if they can pay that for some nobody, 40m for McT or sell to whoever else offers 25m. Clubs are taking us for mugs and therefor offering low ball offers.

I like McTominay

Problem is i think he is best more advanced, but Fernandes is our best player. And Mount seems to be his alternative in that position.

Feck Fulham, if they can pay that for some nobody, 40m for McT or sell to whoever else offers 25m. Clubs are taking us for mugs and therefor offering low ball offers.

He's played over 100 games for Arsenal, hardly some nobody :lol:

How are they able to get up to £35m for a player who has some 100 odd appearances in 6 years and is a bit injury prone (if I am correct), while no one is ready to stump up £30m for a PL midfielder who got 10 goals last season. This basically funds their Calafiori transfer. Annoying!
Smith Rowe got ten league goals in 22/23 before his injuries

Come on Fulham. You can fork out Scotland's number one player.

We really overrate his output.
He's such a substandard player.

Stuck with him again.

Stuck with him again.
We're not 'stuck with him', he's one of the only players that attract any reliable interest.

We're stuck with the likes of Casemiro and Sancho on their ridiculous contracts without taking a major hit.

We're not 'stuck with him', he's one of the only players that attract any reliable interest.

We're stuck with the likes of Casemiro and Sancho on their ridiculous contracts without taking a major hit.
We're stuck with him because the club overrates his importance and value.

We're stuck with Sancho, Casemiro because the club gave them stupid contracts.

We rejected 30 million last season for McTominay.
Beyond silly.

Relax, while McT is no 17m we can't be ridiculous asking for 40m. I think 25-30m is the fair value.

We're stuck with him because the club overrates his importance and value.

We're stuck with Sancho, Casemiro because the club gave them stupid contracts.

We rejected 30 million last season for McTominay.
Beyond silly.
I think he's most likely to be our biggest sale this summer. Dread to think where we'd have finished without his goals last season though.

Keeping McTominay was even more inevitable than keeping Amrabat once the manager decision was made.

His goals bailed us out to the tune of like 10-13 points. He represents the difference between 8th place United and bottom half finishing United.
Or the difference between keeping or sacking ETH

Just shows you that he’s not rated all that much by other clubs. There’s in reality very interest in him like last summer. Damning verdict on him really as if he was as ‘useful’ as some make out on here surly quite a few clubs would want him. Only Moyes made an opportunistic bid for him last year and no one so far is prepared to even match that after his great goalscoring exploits last season. The reality is he is a very mediocre player wholly lacking in the basic abilities of a premiership midfielder who happened to score a few goals last season. There’s absolutely nothing in his record that suggests he will do that again. Any player can have a purple patch for a short while, look at Rashford in the season before last. Steve Bruce once scored 13 goals in a season once from centre half which was more than McTomminey managed last season from an advanced midfield position. He has no place at a club like Manchester United, unless of course you’re happy with wallowing around in 8th with a negative goal difference. Just get what you can get for him and give his minutes to an up and coming player.
It’s got nothing to do with that nonsensical rant. Football is now in an era where every penny counts. McTominay is now in his late 20s. He will have less of a resell value in a few years as opposed to the Arsenal lad who is only 23. These things matter. This is about Fulham considering what they might get back on him when they need to resell him.

Awb, McTom, Lindelof, Sancho
Still stuck with these substandard players.

Signing players has never really been a issue with United, the only issue has been the right players post SAF.

Moving players on though, that's always been a issue. We know why it is.

Stuck with him again.

Tbf, he was influential last season. It's the manager's fault that his tactics needed a player like McTominay to bail him out a few times. Other attackers underperforming or getting injured didn't help either.

You’re reading it wrong. Football has changed in the last year. PSR rules. Were it to happen today nobody would be spending 80m on Antony or any other player. Newcastle would not be quoting 50m for Longstaff. Football is now a case if look after every penny

Tbf, he was influential last season. It's the manager's fault that his tactics needed a player like McTominay to bail him out a few times. Other attackers underperforming or getting injured didn't help either.
He'll probably bail us out again.

The major issue I had/have with ETH is our lack of ideas when we attack and I think it's going to be a similar situation again this season.

He'll probably bail us out again.

The major issue I had/have with ETH is our lack of ideas when we attack and I think it's going to be a similar situation again this season.
You might be right unless garnacho can get his head up, Zirkzee hits the ground running, Rashford has some sort of revival and we don’t pick Antony.

It's fine to be 'stuck' with McT. His wages are reasonable, he's happy to play off the bench, he will score a significant number of goals without requiring much game time to do it.

If someone offers £35m then sure, that's good value. If they don't, who cares. Keep him. The fact we can't sell Sancho or Casemiro - players who don't offer us good value - has nothing directly to do with McTominay. Nor is his quality as a footballer the sum total of his value to the team in our current iteration.

Just off the forward, yeah I can begrudgingly accept that. But I don't want to see him in DM where the game passes him by.

Elanga is the type of player other clubs sell for 30m we sold for less than 20m. Andreas to Fulham for less than 10 they would never sell him for less tham 25m today. Arsenal are selling an injury prone kid for 35m . Smith rowe played 14 games in 22/23 and started 3 games of a whooping 19 last season. For 35m i would be pissed if United spent that much on someone with such a record. Mctominay is far more valuable than fans in this forum believe.

I can see the sense in the resale value argument for Smith-Rowe, but it's by no means a sure thing. Everton did okay off Iwobi, making only a smallish loss on him. But then, Liverpool made a £35m loss on Oxlade-Chamberlain, while Joe Willock's injury record at Newcastle suggests they won't see much of their £25m back.

Smith-Rowe having had only one season of semi-regular football at 23 would suggest that Fulham may well get a lot less football out of him than they would from McTominay over a 5-year deal, and even then they could still have no money to show for it afterwards.

I suppose it's a decent argument for selling players at 22-24 when there are any concerns, because it seems like a good time to hoodwink buyers with the promise of untapped potential. Arsenal have made £80m off the three players mentioned, and nobody there missed (or likely will miss, in ESR's case) them.

Also, players with double-barrelled names go for a lot, and selling them saves fans time typing and saying their silly monikers, so we need to produce more of them so we can promptly get rid.

Status
Not open for further replies.