2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Agree about United Stand, however would say United People's TV is very different, sure you aren't thinking of Utd View or Forever Utd TV

both have their type of poison.

US is click bait. He'll sell we're buying everyone in the morning only to revert to we're buying no one cause we're skint in the evening. United People TV irks me by saying hello to every single person online and making funny quiz like noises He also loves to portray himself as a top red.

The caf is just getting ridiculous, especially after a draw or a defeat. Sometimes I hate this place. What happened to: we stand behind and protect our lads? We did it with Beckham, Cantona and Ronaldo: we stood by them. Why is the modern fanbase so toxic?

Because we were good back then. The years of poor results and being left behind by our biggest rivals have made the fans more toxic.

One thing’s for sure, Koeman’s man management of De Ligt over this break has been diabolical. Calls him out in public over a mistake in the first match then hooks him at half time in the second match and tells the world’s media he did this to protect him from himself. We’ll be getting back damaged goods. What a twat.

Koemann is a cnut and his football is diabolical to watch. I remember when Hoddle did this to Becks. Difference is that our fans chose to support our players back then, instead of join in on the abuse.

The Maguire fans are always so toxic about our other CB's.

I love Martínez and really like de Ligt too. It's just that there's almost nothing between de Ligt and Maguire, and yet the public perception of them is totally different. Also, both are miles better than Martínez as pure defenders.

So what does Martínez have over Maguire as a central defender?

He reads the play much better. His positioning is better. He uses his body more effectively. Maguire is much better in the air but that's it.
And I do think Maguire is a good cb.

So what does Martínez have over Maguire as a central defender?

He actually won more aerial duels in his first season at united then Maguire did. 3.9 aerials won per 90 to Maguire's 3.8.

Not saying he's better in the air, but he's been more than capable despite concerns about his height. Maguire should've been easily ahead of him in that regard especially as aerial duels are his biggest and only redeeming strength

Martinez reads the game better and his awareness and reaction to danger is sharper. His passing between the lines, buildup play, quickness in release of the ball and overall on ball ability are superior. Maguire makes the backline nervous with his indecisiveness and slow buildup. He's been caught out many a time by the opposition and hasn't always been punished. Opposition forwards fancy their chances against him

According to fbref martinez wins 0.36 aerial duals per 90 minutes

He reads the play much better. His positioning is better. He uses his body more effectively. Maguire is much better in the air but that's it.
And I do think Maguire is a good cb.
He actually won more aerial duels in his first season at united then Maguire did. 3.9 aerials won per 90 to Maguire's 3.8.

Not saying he's better in the air, but he's been more than capable despite concerns about his height. Maguire should've been easily ahead of him in that regard especially as aerial duels are his biggest and only redeeming strength

Martinez reads the game better and his awareness and reaction to danger is sharper. His passing between the lines, buildup play, quickness in release of the ball and overall on ball ability are superior. Maguire makes the backline nervous with his indecisiveness and slow buildup. He's been caught out many a time by the opposition and hasn't always been punished. Opposition forwards fancy their chances against him

This just further proves to me how underrated Maguire is.

Reads the game better and positioning? Maguire prevents a lot of danger with both his reading of the game, and his positioning, basically every game.

Uses his body more effectively? How is that even possible when Martínez is so much smaller?

Martínez is simply just an inferior profile as a centre-back, mostly because of his size and height, but not solely because of these things.

He is proactive, he is tenacious, he has good timing to help win aerial duels, he's good at improvising, etc. reads the game well too, I'm not denying it, but if you compare the two profiles, a 1,75m tall, not particularly fast CB will never ever be a more valuable profile than a Maguire, de Ligt, Dias, Botman type, who are:

-tall, tower over most opposition players, aerially dominant
-very dominant physically
-good communicators and organizers
-great box defenders, basically box dominators

these are all things Martínez is simply not excellent at or is incapable of being excellent at due to his physical limitations. And all the things you listed for Martínez are absolutely true for Maguire as well.

Martínez will never be able to absolutely dominate a game like Maguire did against Fulham a few weeks ago, for example, or how Maguire regularly dominated opposition when he was our first choice CB under Ole.

Martínez is very valuable when you have the ball, because his press-resistance as a defender is second to none, and he can probably outpass any defender in world football as well, bar probably Trent, and maybe Stones/White are worthy rivals of Lisandro.

However, just looking at it purely defensively, he has a lot of shortcomings, and is simply not built to be a centre-back. The next manager will probably use him at LB and that will be the end of him being a mainstay CB at United.

And please don't even mention the high-line nonsense. Maguire has proven himself in a high-line time and time again. It's even funnier that when Maguire was basically the first name on the team sheet in Ole's two full seasons, we always had one of the highest defensive lines in the league. When ETH came in and benched him for Varane, we had one of the lowest lines in the entire league in both of ETH's full seasons so far. He might not have a lot of pace but that's not the only thing you need for a high-line, you just need to put your slowest CB as a CCB so that he doesn't get exposed in the wide channels 1v1 against pacy attackers. That's how de Ligt should be used too. That's how Dias is used at City too. Botman at Newcastle too. You mask their weaknesses (pace) and maximize their strengths (anticipation, timing, communication, organizing, reading the game, pinning down opposition players, and, well, defending).

Last edited:
He is still 24 so has his entire prime ahead of him. What was VVD doing when he was 24? Not saying he could be as good but CBs usually get better with age.

I do think Martinez is a bit overrated here but it is absolutely bizzare to say Maguire is better. At what exactly apart from being taller?

Maguire is painfully average and should not bei at a club like united. It remains to be seen if martinez can perform world class on a consistent basis for united like he does at the national team but to say Maguire is better is wild.

Yeah, but I'm right

Maguire doesn't make our strongest starting backline with a clean bill of health.

Martinez-De Ligt will be first choice, but Yoro will come in and make that position his alongside Martinez this season in my opinion. Martinez himself could be upgraded on next season under a new manager

Maguire will be shipped off next summer for a pittance in all likelihood. He's an 80M misfit and nowhere as good as the British media made him out to be when he signed. No one outside England rates him, and many English based supporters have seen enough

K
Where is that from? Sounds like nonsense.
Keep in mind that Martinez is likely to enter into an aerial duel much more than Maguire. Maguire is far, far more dominant in the air, and his clearances are much more likely to be uncontested.

Also, bunch of brainwashed kids in this thread. Do they even watch Maguire? Or just jump on the media’s narrative? He isn’t even close to as bad as some of our fans will have you believe. And before you start defending yourself with Xstat this and Xstat that. Don’t bother. I have eyes. I don’t need some non-contextual isolated bull shit stat to tell me what my eyes can see.

Maguire is an exceptional defender when he doesn’t have to cover ground behind him in transition phases. He struggles there. His decision making is more often than not - pretty good.

De Ligt has the tools to be better. However, his decision making in pressing is his one true flaw. Possibly, he can improve this and be on the track to elite.

Yoro is the one who is truly remarkable for his age. Great decision making. Better passing than both. As much speed as De Ligt. Not as good as Maguire in the air yet, but better than De Ligt.

I truly hope Yoro doesn’t feel he’s behind 2 defenders and unable to progress. I would let go of Maguire next season and give Yoro a clear path.

No
the last page reads like Maguire vs Martinez
It’s just the whoppers on this forum that slag off our own players to try to boost their flavour of the month. That’s how Maguire ends up in these conversations. Brainwashed people who like to beat Maguire with a stick because it largely goes unopposed due to the narrative driven against him.

And so it begins…

Let’s ridicule and pick to pieces a potentially very good United signing.. because let’s face it, we don’t want United to be very good!

That’s how it is now.
Well, i'm a Bayern fan :p
But i hold no grudge against de Ligt and still think he probably was our best defender, although he's displaying shades of Upa and Kim currently.