Mason Mount's Many Misfortunes

I'm so superficial, when he was a Chelsea player I thought he was an average passion merchant but I'm sold on him now :lol:
On a bias note, as a southerner I like seeing southerners sign for the team.
Likewise, like the idea of the London and South East lads going to Manchester, like Beckham

That is the best thing about success.. kids grow up in awe of the club..

There is a whole generation (or two) that will grow up wanting to play for City.. which is disgusting..
We need to get back on top again.. now.. We owe it to the kids of the future :lol:

Someone must think of the children!

Just watched his behind the scenes on YouTube. He seems like a proper down to earth guy. A polite lad. The way he greeted the fans was special. Hope he thrives here, you can see how buzzing he is to of signed.

I do think so. As you say, not that it matters, but I will reach out to you once Mount overtakes him :lol:

United social media team are really trying their best, by pushing his face towards their 62 million followers. Posting Mount content 5 times every day and so many stories. I even know what his favourite food is. Despite all the efforts, he’s stuck on 6.2 million :lol:

Anyway, Garnacho will grow naturally to 10m at the end of the season, even while not being posted 5 times per day.

Confusing me. What’s his big appeal?

He doesn’t have that many followers on Instagram (6 million) compared to other footballers. Garnacho has more followers than him, for example, and has more of a wow factor.
I guess it doesn't hurt to have someone who seems to be a decent character after some of the recent events involving United and ex-United players!

Not that it matters, but I don’t think so.

Garnacho is 5 years younger and has already got more followers after limited exposure. Plus Garnachos posts all regularly get 1.5 - 2 million likes. MM posts mostly gets 300 - 700k. Just shows the appeal. Again, doesn’t matter, as they are both United players now, I just don’t see MM as a poster boy.

he is the poster boy, he’s bloody sexy:drool: just wait.

I guess it doesn't hurt to have someone who seems to be a decent character after some of the recent events involving United and ex-United players!

Unlike Garnacho?

Mount is British and has a more boring haircut, that’s the only real difference.

I’m not criticising him btw, at all, but we’ve seen this so many times with especially white British players being type cast as the ’decent’ guys.

Unlike Garnacho?

Mount is British and has a more boring haircut, that’s the only real difference.

I’m not criticising him btw, at all, but we’ve seen this so many times with especially white British players being type cast as the ’decent’ guys.
I wasn't the one who said anything about Garnacho? I was explaining why Mount might have appeal as a marketable player to somebody who asked the question.

United put a video of him out earlier and he seemed like an affable guy. I don't like the assumption that there was a xenophobic undertone to what I've said.

I wasn't the one who said anything about Garnacho? I was explaining why Mount might have appeal as a marketable player to somebody who asked the question.

United put a video of him out earlier and he seemed like an affable guy. I don't like the assumption that there was a xenophobic undertone to what I've said.

The conversation (and the post you replied to) was about Mount’s marketability vs Garnacho.

And Utd is full of ‘decent’ characters as far as we know, Rashford, Bruno, Varane, Casemiro, Martinez, Eriksen, Fred, Shaw.

It just seems odd to highlight this facet of Mount, given the above, in a conversation on his marketability vs Nacho’s.

It’s something that happens a lot, almost ubiquitously tbh - I didn’t mean it to seem like an attack on you.

The conversation (and the post you replied to) was about Mount’s marketability vs Garnacho.

And Utd is full of ‘decent’ characters as far as we know, Rashford, Bruno, Varane, Casemiro, Martinez, Eriksen, Fred, Shaw.

It just seems odd to highlight this facet of Mount, given the above, in a conversation on his marketability vs Nacho’s.

It’s something that happens a lot, almost ubiquitously tbh - I didn’t mean it to seem like an attack on you.
Rashford is already hugely marketable and the club have tapped into that with the most recent kit launch. It tends to be younger attacking players who are at the forefront when it comes to marketing, I'm sure Garnacho will get his time in the sun too if he continues on his current trajectory.

I don't know anything about most of those player's personalities, whereas the video of Mount gave some insight into his. That's the only difference and not some weird jingoism narrative.

Yes it's very surprising that the English club Manchester United is making the most of having a new English player to post lots of content of. I for one am shocked. What are they thinking?

Don’t want to sound like a grouch but this kind of video makes me cringe so hard. The Spider-Man graphics and stuff are just….ugh.
Sorry in advance if you like this, people have different tastes and I’m sure you’d find my interests boring/cringey/lame, but those videos just give me psychic damage.

I’m very excited for the new-look midfield. I think he’s going to provide creativity (sees himself as a #8) as well as defensive stability. He’s good on the ball and loves getting about the pitch. Can’t wait!

United social media team are really trying their best, by pushing his face towards their 62 million followers. Posting Mount content 5 times every day and so many stories. I even know what his favourite food is. Despite all the efforts, he’s stuck on 6.2 million :lol:

Anyway, Garnacho will grow naturally to 10m at the end of the season, even while not being posted 5 times per day.

What's his favourite food?

Don’t want to sound like a grouch but this kind of video makes me cringe so hard. The Spider-Man graphics and stuff are just….ugh.
Sorry in advance if you like this, people have different tastes and I’m sure you’d find my interests boring/cringey/lame, but those videos just give me psychic damage.
I hate these too..
this being uploaded the same day DDG announced he was leaving and knowing how poorly the club handled it makes it even worse.

Aditya reds has made some fantastic videos.. this was horrible.

I’m very excited for the new-look midfield. I think he’s going to provide creativity (sees himself as a #8) as well as defensive stability. He’s good on the ball and loves getting about the pitch. Can’t wait!
You will be shocked when you realised that he's not that creative. He's Jack of all trade, master of none. Except pressing and good engine, he's average at everything else.

You will be shocked when you realised that he's not that creative. He's Jack of all trade, master of none. Except pressing and good engine, he's average at everything else.
I think you’re wrong, mate. He is very much a midfielder on the front foot looking to create or score. He’s a massive upgrade on McFred, he’s got stamina and legs that have deserted Eriksen, he’s two-footed, takes the ball on the half turn, and he can place a free kick!! Be happy!

Last edited:

Not sure if this vid has been posted. I’ve seen a few, but not this one which has his every Chelsea goal. This lad really can finish. Pretty excited by this signing. He’s a gem.

Thanks for this. He has kind of gone under the radar for me whilst at Chelsea but this looks very good. Confident in both feet, takes freekicks and penalties and scores in some big games including Real Madrid and us :-(

Will be interesting to see how to play him with Bruno. Will they switch positions and play with flexibility or will Bruno play deeper?
Ten Hag seems to love having players that can play multiple positions.

Thanks for this. He has kind of gone under the radar for me whilst at Chelsea but this looks very good. Confident in both feet, takes freekicks and penalties and scores in some big games including Real Madrid and us :-(
Same here. Goal no 22 :drool: sublime and such a technical finish and he looks really quick too. On a side note, don’t the empty stadiums give you the sickest feeling!

So how come two seasons ago, he was number two in chances created, only beaten by Bruno, and the season after that he had 11 goals and 10 assists in much less time played than Bruno - who happens to be our most creative player?

Will be interesting to see how to play him with Bruno. Will they switch positions and play with flexibility or will Bruno play deeper?
Ten Hag seems to love having players that can play multiple positions.
I dont like Bruno playing deeper, I assume it will be Mount and, potentially, Hannibal at some point

Not sure if this vid has been posted. I’ve seen a few, but not this one which has his every Chelsea goal. This lad really can finish. Pretty excited by this signing. He’s a gem.

David should have saved the 7th goal

Confusing me. What’s his big appeal?

He doesn’t have that many followers on Instagram (6 million) compared to other footballers. Garnacho has more followers than him, for example, and has more of a wow factor.

Carrick was a bit of a boring player to most too but he transformed the midfield sometimes you need that "boring" player that everyone thinks can be upgraded look at Milner or Henderson at Liverpool for example. Their legs, energy and willingness to help the team helped everyone.

Yes of course he is. I guess he is a United fan after all.

I actually do think he has a soft spot for the club, by the sounds of it mainly ex players. Ronaldo and beckham being the main two. I reckon he’s going to love it here. You just get that vibe with him.

Saying he's average at everything else is harsh. He's good at everything else, but perhaps doesn't stand out at one thing in particular. That's not a bad thing at all though, every team needs at least a couple of players like that.

If you have a player where it's hard to pinpoint a glaring weakness, then what you have is a very good footballer.

You were positive about a White English Male. You should have known better…

I actually do think he has a soft spot for the club, by the sounds of it mainly ex players. Ronaldo and beckham being the main two. I reckon he’s going to love it here. You just get that vibe with him.
Yeah they all have it until they don't. I think Mason will do fine here.

Saying he's average at everything else is harsh. He's good at everything else, but perhaps doesn't stand out at one thing in particular. That's not a bad thing at all though, every team needs at least a couple of players like that.

If you have a player where it's hard to pinpoint a glaring weakness, then what you have is a very good footballer.
Exactly my point. He's a good player, dont get me wrong, but the only area of the game he's elite is pressing, and good stamina. Every other thing, he's average at best. I guess only time will tell. I hope he proves me wrong.

Exactly my point. He's a good player, dont get me wrong, but the only area of the game he's elite is pressing, and good stamina. Every other thing, he's average at best. I guess only time will tell. I hope he proves me wrong.

You're still using the word average. An 'average' midfield passer/creator is someone like Iwobi or Longstaff, both decent players who did well for their respective teams last season. Mount is markedly better than them though, and he's shown it before. If that's your level of expectation then I think it'll be very easy for him to prove you wrong.

Just try and remember that we had arguably one of the best passers in world football with Pobga, but he couldn't press and his stamina was questionable. Sometimes it's better to have a much more well rounded midfielder, than one who excels in one area but is so obviously weak in others that opposition teams are easily able to exploit it.

Stats can always be twisted and push whatever agenda you are aiming for...but the best test is always the eye test.

Lets wait to see Mount in a Untied shirt, and judge him on how he affects the teams play.

Average at best :lol: You really seem to enjoy talking shit

Looking forward to seeing how he does as part of this team. It's not a signing I would have gone for, it doesn't enthuse me at all. But once in the door we start with a clean slate, it shouldn't be tainted by preconceived notions and we take his performances for what they are in a United shirt.

Even though I didn't love the signing I can still easily see that he can add something to us and therefore improve the side with his energy and pressing, and if he can get back to being productive too even better. I'm just not totally sure where and how he's going to play but that's for the manager to get that balance right, it's obviously something he will have thought deeply on.