Mason Mount's Many Misfortunes

Are you the poster that called Jassim a ‘misogynistic goatfecker’?

And now it’s ‘Qatari scum’.

Classy. Nothing dodgy going on here.
Yeah I 100% stand behind the scum comment. Might want to read up on what is going on at PSG.

Right on. We have been doing that a lot last season, often it looks like 325 as well.

The extra midfield player can be a full back at the base or top of the box. Shaw and Malacia have played as the second 10!

We tried a lot of different approaches last season, but non really seemed to stick. I'm positive that we bought Mount to exactly fill that role and not to be a like for like backup for Eriksen or Bruno, he will most likely take Eriksen's place though.

Is Mount really creative though?

I find this to be an underwhelming signing but hopefully proven wrong.
While there’s a group of English players who are clearly overpriced and overrated I believe there are also English players who are underrated because they are English, and usually it’s the latter group who are the most technically gifted and most suited to European football.

2021-22321110
2020-213665
2019-203775

Look at these league states for a player. If this was a signing from any European or South American league would anyone be questioning his creativity or attacking credentials?

Now it’s likely that if he ends up playing in between Bruno and Casemiro he won’t get as much numbers but I’ll guarantee he’ll be involved in a lot of our attacking play.

Although ETH could surprise us and play Mount further ahead of Bruno. So Bruno plays as a 8, and Mount more ahead. Because one thing I noticed last season is that on the edge of the box we lack the killer or right pass. Bruno isn’t that player as he usually shoots and his best passes come from deeper. So it ends up being Casemiro but as a CDM he is rarely on the ball in on the edge of the box.

So maybe ETH will play Mount more advanced than Bruno. And Mounts stats will remain constant.

While there’s a group of English players who are clearly overpriced and overrated I believe there are also English players who are underrated because they are English, and usually it’s the latter group who are the most technically gifted and most suited to European football.

2021-22321110
2020-213665
2019-203775

Look at these league states for a player. If this was a signing from any European or South American league would anyone be questioning his creativity or attacking credentials?

Now it’s likely that if he ends up playing in between Bruno and Casemiro he won’t get as much numbers but I’ll guarantee he’ll be involved in a lot of our attacking play.

Although ETH could surprise us and play Mount further ahead of Bruno. So Bruno plays as a 8, and Mount more ahead. Because one thing I noticed last season is that on the edge of the box we lack the killer or right pass. Bruno isn’t that player as he usually shoots and his best passes come from deeper. So it ends up being Casemiro but as a CDM he is rarely on the ball in on the edge of the box.

So maybe ETH will play Mount more advanced than Bruno. And Mounts stats will remain constant.

I think we’ll see Bruno’s passing stats improve drastically next season. We’ve never had much movement in the middle so he’s been an easy target to mark and block passing lanes for. But with Mount, I see those two interchanging a lot, with intelligent quick passing which I think will open up so much more space for Bruno

But not enough composure on the ball uo top it seems.

Antony and Mount are generally quite composed. Bruno isn’t, give you that.

But they are going to be a nightmare to play against off the ball.

We tried a lot of different approaches last season, but non really seemed to stick. I'm positive that we bought Mount to exactly fill that role and not to be a like for like backup for Eriksen or Bruno, he will most likely take Eriksen's place though.
4141/325 was the most used system last season.

Mount can play 8, 10 and the wings. He will probably get used most as an 8 and be backup for the other positions.

Interesting video, question marks remain over whether he can play as a deep lying playmaker when situation calls for it.

Tifo vids are always good. Thanks for posting this. I don’t think there can be any doubt that Mount will be primarily deployed as an 8, many have been saying that from the start, and Mason pretty much confirmed it himself today. What I don’t think the Tifo video covered very well is the underrated amount of defensive work MM gets through, and his press resistance. I think both of these will be crucial to his success.

This is a brilliant signing I think. It’ll take us to the next level in how we are able to play on and off the ball. We are also getting a homegrown player, who is 24 and going into his prime. It’s not a flashy, headline grabbing signing, but instead a really smart one. And as the video points out, we are getting a starting quality player at 8, 10, and 11. Which gives us a lot of options.

He seems like a really likeable fella. Looking forward to seeing what he can do on the pitch for us.

He seems like a really likeable fella. Looking forward to seeing what he can do on the pitch for us.

The Martinez/Mount meet is gloriously scripted isn’t it? :lol:
Didn’t United wheel out Brandon Williams for Eriksen’s introduction video?

I love how in awe of the club he seems to be. Really hope he does well comes across a really likeable lad.

I love Licha, he seems so chill and friendly off the pitch but on the pitch he’s a demon.

he seems really happy and looks excited to get going.

his dad's a red. explains the whole "ronaldo inspired me" thing

F0cuslsakAUOYB5

Having given some more thought to the purchase of Mason Mount, I think I have changed my mind quite a bit. My initial reaction to his signing was that we were signing a second player to play in a double pivot or even as a 10 to move Bruno out wide and I didn't like either of those options.

But now I realise there might be another plan. As we saw last season, a lot of teams have started to switch from a midfield triangle to a midfield box. City have been doing it for a while now and this season we have seen a lot of other teams adopt this strategy, most notably Arsenal and Brighton.

Essentially, what many of these teams are doing is moving one of their double pivot players higher up the pitch, effectively becoming a second number 10, and moving one of their defenders from the back four into the double pivot. Often it's one of the FBs, or in City's case, a CB, who takes up the defensive midfield position.

We tried this at times last season, with Eriksen and Fred in particular, while Shaw or Dalot moved into the double pivot. Shaw usually did this when AWB was playing and Dalot when he was playing.

The problem we had was that Eriksen didn't have the legs to play such a demanding role and Fred didn't have the tactical discipline or the skills to be a consistent threat in attack.

Mason Mount solves that problem. His work-rate, ball-playing ability, tactical nous and attacking threat would make him a good candidate to succeed in the role, and if we remember a while back, he was enjoying arguably the best period of his career as the second number 10 in Tuchel's system. If ten Hag really plans to use him in this way, and I think he will, Mason Mount could be a really good player for us.

HrGrOGD.png
mWEp8UT.png
Yeah it makes sense and it seems for a manager like Ten Hag he wants more attacking contributions from his midfielders and is more reliant on the defenders for build up and ball recycling. There is also a possibility of doing with Martinez what Pep did with Stones given how adept Shaw was at CB after the Martinez loss and how good AWB is defensively.

Both Bruno and Mount are above average off the ball and work really hard. That will help Casemiro who is still close to his peak so that midfield can work. And if we get improved attacking outputs from Antony in particular and solve our striker situation then we will be competitive because whatever worries we might have from being a touch light in midfield we will cover it by being more clinical with the chances we would create.

Ten Hag obviously thinks there is more that can be unlocked in Mount esp as a midfielder otherwise he wouldn't have insisted. It will be interesting to see what he has planned and watch the process unfold over the season.

Have to say the new kit has grown on me quite a lot. When Mount was holding up the back, with 7 on it, it looked cool as hell. Reminds me of a cross between the 2002 and 2004 kits.

He's definitely United's new social media poster boy, likeable guy.

Confusing me. What’s his big appeal?

He doesn’t have that many followers on Instagram (6 million) compared to other footballers. Garnacho has more followers than him, for example, and has more of a wow factor.

He doesn’t have that many followers on Instagram (6 million) compared to other footballers. Garnacho has more followers than him, for example, and has more of a wow factor.

English, 7, not a punchable face like Maguire.

All you really need I guess, although our actual "poster boy" is and always has been Rashford

So he’s been a closet United fan this whole time?? From someone who has just come from a Chelsea dressing room (still massive names despite their crap season and just won CL recently too) to ours to say that is pretty insane.

reckon he’ll be a fan favourite after winning over the doubters soon.

Mount’s followers will increase now he is at United.
Just wait until he plays a few games for us and scores a couple of goals and he will most likely overtake Garnacho on Insta.

his dad's a red. explains the whole "ronaldo inspired me" thing

F0cuslsakAUOYB5

That is the best thing about success.. kids grow up in awe of the club..

There is a whole generation (or two) that will grow up wanting to play for City.. which is disgusting..
We need to get back on top again.. now.. We owe it to the kids of the future :lol:

Mount’s followers will increase now he is at United.
Just wait until he plays a few games for us and scores a couple of goals and he will most likely overtake Garnacho on Insta.

Not that it matters, but I don’t think so.

Garnacho is 5 years younger and has already got more followers after limited exposure. Plus Garnachos posts all regularly get 1.5 - 2 million likes. MM posts mostly gets 300 - 700k. Just shows the appeal. Again, doesn’t matter, as they are both United players now, I just don’t see MM as a poster boy.

Not that it matters, but I don’t think so.

Garnacho is 5 years younger and has already got more followers after limited exposure. Plus Garnachos posts all regularly get 1.5 - 2 million likes. MM posts mostly gets 300 - 700k. Just shows the appeal. Again, doesn’t matter, as they are both United players now, I just don’t see MM as a poster boy.
I do think so. As you say, not that it matters, but I will reach out to you once Mount overtakes him :lol:

After watching the behind the scenes video it’s hard not to like him, everything he did was with a smile on his face and looked so excited to be here.
Seemed very down to earth and humble, Can see him becoming a fan favourite.

Is good to discuss / debate Mason Mount role at Manutd. I read from a pundit who claims he knows Ten Haag from Ajax days. He says ETH likes to play two attacking midfielders as NO.8 . one on the left one on the right. as was the case with Erickson and bruno and maybe with mount and Bruno next season. This formation appears good on home games and on lesser team . However on away games we struggled a lot. esp with those tough away games it was a gamble as we witness to the losses to Brighton, Man City and Liverpool. It is true for example Klopp at liverpool played also with two no. 8 but they were more defensive minded players in Henderson and wijlandum while fabiniho was the no. 6.