Mason Mount's Many Misfortunes

That's not a position in football, nor a primary skill. No football club goes in the market seeking only for "a player who can press".
Neither is he "a player who can press" only. No one said that, except people with weird agenda against him. But we look tons better in press with him in the team, that is as obvious as can be.

Hopefully Berrada is true to his two season policy and aims to move him on this summer if he doesn't manage to contribute much constructive this season, whether through injury or otherwise

We signed a crock, unfortunately. Chelsea did us dirty.
The worst part is we didn’t even need him and had no idea how to play him even when he was fit.

THIS is our worst transfer ever because even the fans could see this was stupid and our manager couldn’t. 50m actually down the drain.

That's not a position in football, nor a primary skill. No football club goes in the market seeking only for "a player who can press".
So why was Arteta and Klopp both after him? Because according to some on here, that is his only skill.

Anytime Lampard says anything about a player, that player we need to stay away from. The bastard keeps spreading false information or jinxing us. Remember when he said 'United had the best frontline in the league'? our strikers stopped scoring right after that.

So why was Arteta and Klopp both after him? Because according to some on here, that is his only skill.

That is not 100% or a given, unless they both admitted it they were after him.

Even if they were, they signed plenty of duds. City were after Maguire, Alexis and Fred as well apparently. Mount would have been a squad player at City and Arsenal as well, so nothing changed

That is not 100% or a given, unless they both admitted it they were after him.

Even if they were, they signed plenty of duds. City were after Maguire, Alexis and Fred as well apparently. Mount would have been a squad player at City and Arsenal as well, so nothing changed
I don't know why you're talking about City, unless you thought Klopp managed City.

Hope you enjoyed our 0-3 loss without anyone actually doing any pressing and allowed Liverpool to do what they want. You got it your way.

Nothing personal to Mount, but I will never get my head around his signing.
We were crying out for a DM for ten years and who did ETH buy? This guy, who pretty much plays in the same place as Bruno. So unless ETHs idea was to offload Bruno then what was the bloody point? There was just no logic whatsoever behind this guy.

It's like saying for ten years we need a new stadium so we commission a group of architects to build a new one exactly the same as Old Trafford, leaky roof included.

I don't know why you're talking about City, unless you thought Klopp managed City.

Hope you enjoyed our 0-3 loss without anyone actually doing any pressing and allowed Liverpool to do what they want. You got it your way.

Yes, with Mason Mount and his pressing we would have lost only 2-0. Get in.

The goals we conceded were from our mistakes in possession.

I have nothing against Mount , he is a decent player who puts a shift in but is a player we never needed.
In terms of on the ball Bruno and Eriksen are better and he doesnt have the pace or dribbling ability to play wide.

Never realised he was this injury prone though and I think the vast majority of supporters first thought when we signed him was “why”. We also overpaid for a player with a low contract.

Never realised he was this injury prone though
He wasn't. In his first three and a half seasons at Chelsea he didn't miss many games at all. Other than Bruno, I doubt there were any players in our squad who were available as much as Mount was.

It was just his last half a season at Chelsea where he struggled with the pelvic injury which he eventually had to have surgery on.

As long as he got over that one injury properly, there was no reason to think he'd be injury prone for us. Indeed the club were probably expecting he'd be one of our most reliable players fitness-wise.

He wasn't. In his first three and a half seasons at Chelsea he didn't miss many games at all. Other than Bruno, I doubt there were any players in our squad who were available as much as Mount was.

It was just his last half a season at Chelsea where he struggled with the pelvic injury which he eventually had to have surgery on.

As long as he got over that one injury properly, there was no reason to think he'd be injury prone for us. Indeed the club were probably expecting he'd be one of our most reliable players fitness-wise.

Missed 17 of 177 games at Chelsea before his last season. Missed 15 of 50 in his final season.

This transfer looks like really bad luck (assuming we get over the fact he wasn't the type of player we should be going for in the first place).

If we list our worst transfers of late - Sancho, Antony, and possibly Mount then there's a different reason behind each of those.

Get rid. If you can’t stay fit you should not be at the club. Everyone gets injured but not constantly.
I just see mount as a grafter but not a stand out player.
Okay and who buys him on his wages with his injury record?

Only thing we can do is manage his playing time wisely. That’s it.

It’s amazing how our expectations are so low that ‘just being fit for selection’ would be deemed a successful season for 60% of the squad.

Never mind actually playing well 2 games in a row.

Exactly. I keep seeing posters saying get rid of Mount/Casemiro/Rashford/Antony. But to who exactly? Which club in their right mind is going to pay a transfer fee and pick up their ridiculous wages? We are stuck with them unless we take a financial hit and give them free transfers.

I just hope we haven’t made the same mistake with Bruno and that unnecessary huge new contract.

This transfer looks like really bad luck (assuming we get over the fact he wasn't the type of player we should be going for in the first place).

If we list our worst transfers of late - Sancho, Antony, and possibly Mount then there's a different reason behind each of those.

1. Sancho - wrong attitude / position
2. Antony - overpaid by 300-400%
3. Mount - wrong position + overpaid + injury prone

Frustratingly the whole Sancho and Antony mess stemmed from the Greenwood mess. If only that didn’t happen, we’d potentially be in a much better place squad wise. Mount is just as frustrating as he really was not the player we should have been going for, and for £55m when he only had 12 months on his contract, helping out Chelsea to skirt round their ludicrous spending, only for him to barely kick a ball last year. The last of the Glazer transfer fumbles.

Nobody buying a mediocre injury prone player on 250K a week. We are stuck with him. The best thing we can do is use him as a sub if he ever gets fit (I doubt it).

Frustratingly the whole Sancho and Antony mess stemmed from the Greenwood mess. If only that didn’t happen, we’d potentially be in a much better place squad wise. Mount is just as frustrating as he really was not the player we should have been going for, and for £55m when he only had 12 months on his contract, helping out Chelsea to skirt round their ludicrous spending, only for him to barely kick a ball last year. The last of the Glazer transfer fumbles.
My biggest frustration with the Antony and Mount deals ( transfer and wages) is that I really can’t get my head around how it ended there. Who else wanted them at anywhere near that price and how did Antony’s team managed to negotiate a salary that must be at least 3 times his wages at Ajax.

My biggest frustration with the Antony and Mount deals ( transfer and wages) is that I really can’t get my head around how it ended there. Who else wanted them at anywhere near that price and how did Antony’s team managed to negotiate a salary that must be at least 3 times his wages at Ajax.

Liverpool wanted Mount at very close to that price. Pretty well publicised competition for that one.

The problems with that one are two fold. Obviously he can't stay fit, but he was also wanted to play as ten Hag's 8 and we've seen enough evidence from enough players to suggest that that role simply does not work no matter who plays it.

I do have some sympathy with the club there. Ten Hag had managed to scrape a passing mark in his first season and if thought Mount was the player he needed to play that role I can see why the club went with it. The extent he's been injured is also I think completely unforeseeable, and I strongly suspect is something to do with the club as much as him.

Antony there's no excuses for. Red flags and warning signs all over the shop there.

Add Onana and Casemiro to this mix, quarter a billion pounds.
First 2 years under TenHag we wasted a lot compared to year by year budget of his previous years here since 2013.

Sancho was signed before the Greenwood mess. The thought at the time was presumably that Martial, Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood were great young options for the 4 forward positions. He was the right type of signing but sadly his talent limitations became evident when playing at the highest level week after week.

As for Mount, I’ve never regarded him as more than a decent squad option for a big team. If we’d waited a year and picked him up on a free, I’d have been fine with that signing but paying Chelsea £50m to solve a problem for them and then putting him on £250k a week was complete madness.

We panicked on the Antony deal. His agent took us to the cleaners.

woodward/murtough special.

Speaks volumes that neither have found a job. I suppose they paid themselves handsomely enough.

Exactly. I keep seeing posters saying get rid of Mount/Casemiro/Rashford/Antony. But to who exactly? Which club in their right mind is going to pay a transfer fee and pick up their ridiculous wages? We are stuck with them unless we take a financial hit and give them free transfers.

I just hope we haven’t made the same mistake with Bruno and that unnecessary huge new contract.
The club would have sold rashford this summer if someone comes in with a 60mil offer imo.

We should have never bought another no 10. Eth's obsession with them is stupid