Martín Zubimendi | £51m release clause

Seems to revolve around the number 6 area. Caicedo, Lavia, Zubimendi. It's all so public as well. We make it known we want a player when it's not a sure thing. Remember when we could sign Fabinho on the same day we were linked with him?

We did sign Endo, Mac Allister and Szboszlai last summer I suppose, but I still think we need a midfielder. Criminal not to sign anyone in Slot's first summer.

We've been there. With a bit of luck, you might get Fellaini on deadline day for more than his release clause.

I didn't realise Liverpool hadn't signed anyone this summer and that Salah VVD and Alexander-Arnold were all out of contract at the end of the season.

All that plus Klopp leaving.

I have a feeling they'll be ok this season, challenging for top 4, but after that they might be a bit fecked.

I think Liverpool should be looking at Johnny Cardoso as an alternative to Zubimendi.

Not sure he's on Zubimendi's level overall, but should be a good fit for them tactically, and likely better value for around 25m.

I also don't know why they're looking to loan Bajcetic out. He's very talented and could have a Mainoo-esque breakout season. Hopefully they don't realize that, though, and also get someone like Ugarte for 50m instead of a smarter acquisition like Cardoso.

We saw it last summer that they're capable of doing dumb things out of panic, with the 115m bid for Caicedo.

Richard Hughes is off to a good start

That's quite bizarre if they don't have an alternative. Can't help but get the feeling they're doing what we did to Moyes, in hanging the new manager out to dry in their first summer window.

Impressed that they managed to wrap up this signing in only a couple of days and with no fuss and noise in the media.

They could have done a bit of basic due diligence to see if the player actually wanted to sign for them?
the briefings coming in are that they had been given "unequivocal" assurance he wanted to join.

Which suggests that in the week between starting negotiations and haggling over a deal that was always going to end up with paying the full release clause, the player changed his mind.

makes it even more shambolic tbh. snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I worry that may be Ugarte.

From the reports, it seems that Ugarte only want us. We already know the price PSG want. Worst case is we just pay the asking price if Liverpool came in. Alternatively, let Liverpool have the overpriced Ugarte and we move to other target.

don't think we were rejected by Enzo or amrabat?

Also, amrabat would have been doing us a favour if he did.
Poor Amrabat had to make do with winning the biggest domestic cup trophy and putting in an excellent performance against City at Wembley. When he could’ve been at Liverpool winning…?

Reactions: Invictus
Poor Amrabat had to make do with winning the biggest domestic cup trophy and putting in an excellent performance against City at Wembley. When he could’ve been at Liverpool winning…?

Have to agree with him, though. Amrabat is hardly "one that got away".

If this was us you just know Talkshite would dedicate the whole day to ripping us apart. There will be barely a peep about these pricks.

I can’t see them going after Ugarte now that Klopp has gone. The point of Zubimendi was to replace Endo because he’s limited on the ball. Slot specifically wants a 6 who the team can play through, which I don’t think is Ugarte’s profile.

If this was us you just know Talkshite would dedicate the whole day to ripping us apart. There will be barely a peep about these pricks.

You do realise this is a good thing? The day we're treated just like the rest is a worrying day. The fact all our shite, no matter how minor, still gets so much focus just shows the power we still hold.

I can’t see them going after Ugarte now that Klopp has gone. The point of Zubimendi was to replace Endo because he’s limited on the ball. Slot specifically wants a 6 who the team can play through, which I don’t think is Ugarte’s profile.
funny thing is, Stuttgart replaced Endo with exactly that type of midfielder (Angelo Stiller) when Liverpool signed Endo.

You do realise this is a good thing? The day we're treated just like the rest is a worrying day. The fact all our shite, no matter how minor, still gets so much focus just shows the power we still hold.
You just generate a lot of clicks because you have a lot of fans. Nothing more to it, and nothing to show for it either if that "power" doesn't translate to performances on the field.

Back in the day the Utd website would post all sorts of shite rumours, totally baseless ones too.

Holy shit I remember this from my school days :lol:

Would refresh it for hours when we were linked with Ronaldinho. Was worse than transfer gossip on BBC.

That's true but it gets tedious after a while. Would be nice for other clubs to get some criticism for a change.

You just generate a lot of clicks because you have a lot of fans. Nothing more to it, and nothing to show for it either if that "power" doesn't translate to performances on the field.

It’s also because every pundit and analyst that’s not a former United player has ptsd from the 90’s and 00’s. They genuinely revel in any bad United news.

It’s why any negative United news blows up on the likes of talksport. If it was just click generation, it would be the good news stories too. But it’s usually not.