Martín Zubimendi | £51m release clause

X/Twitter can be added to that. There are some awful Liverpool accounts on there. Makes mishaps in the window like this even more hilarious for everyone else, because there are Tweet's and videos to look back on.

Twitter is the Benidorm of the internet. Just the absolute worst.

Knock knock

Who's there?

Hughes

Hughes who?

Hughes to be signing players, but now we don't.

It's not missing out on him that bothers me, it's that we've waited until a week before the season starts to make any moves. You would think that getting a new manager for the first time since 2015 would've prompted a bit more proactivity.
Wasn't there a player you guys wanted who signed for Dortmund this summer?

Wasn't there a player you guys wanted who signed for Dortmund this summer?
Haven't heard that. Just Zubimendi I've seen us seriously linked with. Oh and that Georgian keeper on loan.

We need a DM imo. That's a must for the window. Sounds like we won't sign one now. A defender (CB/LB) too but not as important.

Next summer could be chaotic. Van Dijk, Salah and TAA all out of contract.

Knock knock

Who's there?

Hughes

Hughes who?

Hughes to be signing players, but now we don't.
Knock knock

Who’s there?

Richard Hughes

Never heard of you. *phone disconnects*

(To dead line) it’s me Richie lad, from liverpoool. La? Are you there la?

So is this effectively FSG and the team offering modest wages as far as the Premier League top 6 is concerned?

I must admit, this one caught me off guard. I understood Lavia and Caicedo due to Chelsea being absolutely reckless. Bellingham was obviously never a legitimate option. But Zubimendi? If you can’t bag him after succumbing to the release clause, you’re either being really tight financially or he never wanted it.

So is this effectively FSG and the team offering modest wages as far as the Premier League top 6 is concerned?

I must admit, this one caught me off guard. I understood Lavia and Caicedo due to Chelsea being absolutely reckless. Bellingham was obviously never a legitimate option. But Zubimendi? If you can’t bag him after succumbing to the release clause, you’re either being really tight financially or he never wanted it.
I think it's more that Zubimendi is a bit of a homebird and that it would take a lot for him to leave Real.

It would be the funniest thing in the world if we signed him now.

Romano saying his new offer from Sociedad is way lower than that offered by Liverpool. Can only assume he just wants to stay in Spain. He will still retire a very wealthy man though.

Romano saying his new offer from Sociedad is way lower than that offered by Liverpool. Can only assume he just wants to stay in Spain. He will still retire a very wealthy man though.
Gotta respect a guy if he ends up being a one club man.

We are extremely poor in the market these days.
Seems to revolve around the number 6 area. Caicedo, Lavia, Zubimendi. It's all so public as well. We make it known we want a player when it's not a sure thing. Remember when we could sign Fabinho on the same day we were linked with him?

We did sign Endo, Mac Allister and Szboszlai last summer I suppose, but I still think we need a midfielder. Criminal not to sign anyone in Slot's first summer.

What's funny about that tweet is I genuinely can't remember the last player that has turned down other huge clubs to go to Liverpool. Majority of their best signings are "smart" buys that turned brilliant (Salah, Mane, Firmino, Robertson) but they rarely beat out teams for the highest coveted players. VVD probably being one of the last ones and that took a record breaking fee. Yet that tweet acts like they're Real fecking Madrid with unlimited pull :lol:

Liverpool are going to play a less intense style this season, one based more around controlled possession, and Zubimendi would've really helped them implement that. So it's wonderful to see him reject them. There's no-one in their squad really capable of filling that role to a decent level. It's genuinely bizarre that they didn't start the summer by identifying three or four targets that could fill that role, and just worked their way down their list until they got someone who worked for the style they want to implement. Instead they put all their eggs in the Zubimendi basket and moved on it really, really late. It's pretty woeful planning. I don't know whether Slot is to blame after his "I want to look at the squad before we bring in any new faces" comment earlier in the summer, FSG is to blame by just being incompetent tight wads, or if Hughes has simply been naive and out of his depth. Perhaps a combination of all three?

Luckily for Liverpool, they have a stable and decent squad that will benefit from the less intense playing style, especially aging key players like VVD and Salah. I still expect them to do quite well this season, but if they had shown any savvy in the market they'd have improved their chances no end.

Playing 4-2-3-1, they'll presumably have Szloboszlai and Elliot for the 10 role, leaving them with Endo, Gravenberch, Jones, Mac Allister, and Bajcetic for the two double pivot spots. Mac Allister is a good box to box player that is well suited to the role and high quality, Endo is not of the standard necessary at all, Gravenberch is pretty average but with room for growth, Jones is okay but nothing to write home about, and Bajcetic has enormous potential and could be a star but is coming off a year of injuries. If Bajcetic fulfills his potential then they'll have that position sorted, but none of the other players listed are really good enough to be starting alongside Mac Allister, hence why they've gone after Caicedo, Lavia and Zubimendi. Gravenberch and Jones are good squad players who are now elevated to first choice by failures to act in the market.

Last edited:

I do wonder if the current generation of kids will grow up thinking that Youtube/Tiktok "reaction face" horseshit is how people actually behave.

Think you gave this one your best shot. If Romano is right, and he’s prepared to accept a lower wage than you offered, then he just doesn’t want to come to the PL. Not sure you could do much more tbf.
They could have done a bit of basic due diligence to see if the player actually wanted to sign for them?

Fair play to the guy. If he's happy at his boyhood club and getting paid well, winning the odd thing nationally then who's to argue. Not everyone wants to chase money and he likely values experiences over his bank balance.

Reactions: BenitoSTARR