Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Describe what you mean by a "passer" when you say Kobbie is not folks. Do you mean a high volume passer?

He could certainly be a high volume passer if that is the team he was in. He could do that today in the right setup.

What he is not is an expansive passer, a player who consistently passes through lines or one who strikes long passes particularly well.

Mainoo is brilliant and could develop some of those amongst a number of other skills. None of this is a knock on him, it's just that he is a different type of player who currently has a different skillset.

Having a player who follows the game well and helps beat the press by following the play in the middle well and being an additional option, has the talent of knowing what pass to play before they even get the ball, beating the press by passing through the lines and having a talent for expansive passing to help us change momentum when struggling to break teams down is vital for the hideous way Ten Hag sets up a midfield.

Eriksen did a few of those things in his first season. He isn't upto it anymore.

Cheers! I'm surprised and slightly concerned by his 58% success rate for take-ons considering his passing consistency (for more difficult passes). I guess the Copa is an easier competition than Ligue 1.

Definitely a water carrier DM in the Casemiro mould. If that's the DM profile we are looking for, he'd be a great addition. His defensive stats are insane and certainly passes the eye test, and he's better on the ball IMHO. Concerns about our ball retention in a midfield trio of Mainoo, Ugarte and Bruno are valid.
I don't know how or if they separate that stat from fouls won. He is generally fine with the ball at feet and quite clever in drawing fouls if it's not looking good. There's absolutely no way he gets dispossessed that often.

The idea that Mainoo is not a player capable of passing through the lines goes against reality but I'm seeing it in so many post I'm starting to wonder if people are talking about the same player.

When I watch Kobbie, I see a player who actually wants to pass through the lines more than anything. However delivering those passes constantly depends a lot more on your teammates' positioning that your ability. Him dribbling often tends to be a result of lacking passing options. We haven't seen him deliver long cross-field switches of play, but that is not harder to do than passing accurately with the right weight under pressure, things he has constantly shown.

In a set up with Bruno, we mainly need a person to cover the space in midfield. Getting another player in there more intersted in passing and creating will simply shift that physical responibility to Mainoo, and not only is he not that kind of player but that is likely to burn him out faster than anything else.

Yea I feel this weakness in our midfield will continue.

Think we will have to get by (yes I know its not enough) with just the one midfield signing this summer. Hopefully I will be wrong and talks of a second midfielder pick up if we can sell Hannibal, Eriksen and McTominay

For now I'm happy to see us active in the transfer market instead of waiting till the very end

Think we will have to get by (yes I know its not enough) with just the one midfield signing this summer. Hopefully I will be wrong and talks of a second midfielder pick up if we can sell Hannibal, Eriksen and McTominay

Yea I'd imagine we'd have to sell at least one of Casemiro, McTominay, Eriksen in order for us to bring in a midfielder like Ugarte or Fofana.

He could certainly be a high volume passer if that is the team he was in. He could do that today in the right setup.

What he is not is an expansive passer, a player who consistently passes through lines or one who strikes long passes particularly well.

Mainoo is brilliant and could develop some of those amongst a number of other skills. None of this is a knock on him, it's just that he is a different type of player who currently has a different skillset.

Having a player who follows the game well and helps beat the press by following the play in the middle well and being an additional option, has the talent of knowing what pass to play before they even get the ball, beating the press by passing through the lines and having a talent for expansive passing to help us change momentum when struggling to break teams down is vital for the hideous way Ten Hag sets up a midfield.

Eriksen did a few of those things in his first season. He isn't upto it anymore.

The idea that Mainoo is not a player capable of passing through the lines goes against reality but I'm seeing it in so many post I'm starting to wonder if people are talking about the same player.

When I watch Kobbie, I see a player who actually wants to pass through the lines more than anything. However delivering those passes constantly depends a lot more on your teammates' positioning that your ability. Him dribbling often tends to be a result of lacking passing options. We haven't seen him deliver long cross-field switches of play, but that is not harder to do than passing accurately with the right weight under pressure, things he has constantly shown.

In a set up with Bruno, we mainly need a person to cover the space in midfield. Getting another player in there more intersted in passing and creating will simply shift that physical responibility to Mainoo, and not only is he not that kind of player but that is likely to burn him out faster than anything else.
I’m reading “expansive” to mean something akin to “Scholes”, and I agree he’s not one to get the ball and ping a 60 yard ball into someone’s back pocket. Mainoo is more in the efficient mold but he hasn’t had the right personnel around him yet to really start stretching.

Yea I'm a patient person, obviously all of this will take time. I think it's because our midfield as felt neglected for such a long time that it bothers me a little.

If they're really stubborn over that valuation then why not look elsewhere in the league and go for Fofana at less than half P$G's valuation for Ugarte?

Ugarte and Fofana have nothing in common, though. The team is desperate for a proper DM and has been for a very long time. Fofana isn't that, and he is also another player with obvious deficiencies in the technical parts of the game without bringing much of anything else. Not the right profile and not good enough.

PSG have to be realistic in their demands, however. That fee isn't happening.

So we need 6 midfielders but, you want to boot 3 of them?
We're going to have to accept being short in certain positions because of the mess the INEOS team have inherited. It can't all be fixed in one window and they don't want to make the mistake previous regimes have made by hanging on to average players as a comfort blanket.

For me, better to play an Academy player who's probably never going to be a superstar, like Toby Collyer, over someone like Eriksen who should just be allowed to leave for whatever we can get for him.

I’m confused to what the actually end goal is from PSG.

They seem to be very interested in brining in Joao Neves and an attacking forward but they like most clubs need to sell to buy.

Perfectly fine however the midfield they are looking to sell is a midfielder they are happy to let go due to preference in style but also he cost them €60m. His book value would have decreased due to being a year into his contract so I don’t understand why they believe they can sell him for a profit. I understand his age but they are not in a position of power.

We should do what we have done with Branthwaite and possibly De Ligt and walk away. I like the profile but he’s not that amazing, plus no other club is going to give them more money than what we are willing to pay. Unless Chelsea have some type of relapse.

70M? We should give ultimatum at 55M. Then move on. Don't waste time if PSG refuse to be reasonable.

Maybe time to focus on Rabiot. Keep Casemeiro and sign Amrabat for cover.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...er-could-help-shore-up-erik-ten-hags-midfield

There is room for improvement when it comes to threading passes through the lines. He only directed 15 per cent of his passes forward last season in Ligue 1, according to Opta. His conservative passing choices were a reported source of frustration to PSG boss Luis Enrique.

Just don't expect everything from him. He likes his sideways pass.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...er-could-help-shore-up-erik-ten-hags-midfield

There is room for improvement when it comes to threading passes through the lines. He only directed 15 per cent of his passes forward last season in Ligue 1, according to Opta. His conservative passing choices were a reported source of frustration to PSG boss Luis Enrique.

Just don't expect everything from him. He likes his sideways pass.

How does he compare to other similar defensive midfielders in this metric?

I’m confused to what the actually end goal is from PSG.

They seem to be very interested in brining in Joao Neves and an attacking forward but they like most clubs need to sell to buy.

Perfectly fine however the midfield they are looking to sell is a midfielder they are happy to let go due to preference in style but also he cost them €60m. His book value would have decreased due to being a year into his contract so I don’t understand why they believe they can sell him for a profit. I understand his age but they are not in a position of power.

We should do what we have done with Branthwaite and possibly De Ligt and walk away. I like the profile but he’s not that amazing, plus no other club is going to give them more money than what we are willing to pay. Unless Chelsea have some type of relapse.
They are a basket case of a club. Phillip Auclair the French football journo recently explained when interviewed by Duncan castles.

PSG philosophy is to now target young talented players who fit with Luis Enrique's posession football. However the marketing department at PSG hold alot of sway and they want big name stars. Which is why PSG are being linked to Kharsa or Sancho or Oshiem.

PSG have also been embarrassed by the Mbappe fiasco (he left for free and they turned down a £180mil bid from Madrid 18/24 months ago). PSG don't want to be seen as pushovers in the transfer market. Plus UEFA FSR (financial sustainability rules) is hamstringing the club in terms of what they can spend without being in revenue from sales.

This is why they are being stupid and trying to make a profit on Ugarte.

Still expect this to get done, but in reality we need two midfielders brought in ideally. Time still on our side though.

Yeah completely agree, so one needs to be a pure destroyer type DM and the other I guess more of a DLP

We're going to have to accept being short in certain positions because of the mess the INEOS team have inherited. It can't all be fixed in one window and they don't want to make the mistake previous regimes have made by hanging on to average players as a comfort blanket.

For me, better to play an Academy player who's probably never going to be a superstar, like Toby Collyer, over someone like Eriksen who should just be allowed to leave for whatever we can get for him.

Yeah they have inherited one hell of a mess but particularly bad in the midfield area, there is not enough different profiles of midfielder there

This is just patently untrue. Real Madrid averaged 59.2% possession per game last season in Spain. Only Barcelona managed more.

For comparison, we averaged 50.6% - tied with Fulham - and lower than 8 other teams in the Premier League.

The idea that a "top team" can be a "top team" without averaging a lot more of the ball than their opponents is just not correct.
Leave out people who like to throw up the notion that possession football is not Madrid cup of tea.

There is no football team that is successful consistently that doesn't take possession of the football as a serious issue.

Only United through it's fans, using coping mechanisms, try to allude to and wanting success without being top 2-3 in possession ranking season in season out.

We can sign 10 Yoros, but if we average 50% possession in a season we will never win EPL or CL. You need to be in control of 90% of the games in any given competition you're in.

No better way to control football game, than through having pressure possession.

70M? We should give ultimatum at 55M. Then move on. Don't waste time if PSG refuse to be reasonable.

Maybe time to focus on Rabiot. Keep Casemeiro and sign Amrabat for cover.
Rabiot , Casemiro and Amrabat , it would be a great summer if all 3 weren’t at the club by September

Leave out people who like to throw up the notion that possession football is not Madrid cup of tea.

There is no football team that is successful consistently that doesn't take possession of the football as a serious issue.

Only United through it's fans, using coping mechanisms, try to allude to and wanting success without being top 2-3 in possession ranking season in season out.

We can sign 10 Yoros, but if we average 50% possession in a season we will never win EPL or CL. You need to be in control of 90% of the games in any given competition you're in.

No better way to control football game, than through having pressure possession.
Of course Madrid played posession football, hard not to when you have legendary midfields like mordric and kroos.

Possession football is a recent change in football that we can blame Guardiola and the Spanish national team international success for.

Teams playing deep and hitting on the break or on transitions have been very successful in the past. Mourinho treble winning inter milan team for one. Or the Bayern team that spanked a Messi led Barcelona 7-1 at nou camp on the way to their CL win.

ETH has said as recently as last season that he wants Utd to be the best transition team, nothing about possession.

Nice find! Definitely using that site going forward. People should definitely not expect too much from him offensively. It might be the biggest reason why he's even up for sale after spending just a season with them.

https://www.givemesport.com/luis-enriques-concern-about-manuel-ugarte-should-worry-man-utd-fans/
Seems like a pure out-and-out destroyer doesn’t he.

I wonder what it says about how we want to play. Presumably we want to give Mainoo as much freedom as possible

My personal preference is having a Carrick type in DM who can spray the passes, but I guess that’s not how we’re looking to play

Status
Not open for further replies.