Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

That's a very sensible approach and I rate Ugarte and believe he'd be a great addition. Just not at any cost especially when P$G are the ones without much leverage yet are pushing a hard line.

Yeah, that bit about only paying the right amount for players is a positive long term sign. We definitely need to end the 'United Tax' and start negotiating competently.

The bit about not letting it drag on until the end of the window is also positive... though that, and most importantly the start of the season, is quickly gaining on us and things do seem to be dragging on - albeit, understandably this window given a number of combinations such as the appointments of the likes of Ashworth dragging on, two summer tournaments meaning players are away, us struggling to sell, etc.

We're taking the opposite approach here though...

The panic move here would've been coughing up their asking price.

We haven't let it until deadline day or the final week for once and have already been speaking to alternative targets.

Wouldn't surprise me if we hear Rabiot talk soon.

Its been clear for a while though that PSG wernt going to budge on their valuation yet we've waited until were 5 days from the start of the season to decide to pull out of this and persue other targets.

Wouldnt surprise me if we still get him, but delighted we've came out and cooled the interest. 60m for a player that they instigated the sale of is an absolute piss take.

I completely get and understand and support the notion of not being held to ransom over players.

But it looks like we’re selling McT which means literally having Mainoo and Casemiro as the two CMs.

If the best we can look at is Amrabat then the midfield engine that we need will once again be missing.

tenor.gif

Ugarte know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em, know when to walk away and know when to run.

It’s the right move. Reasonable not to get held to ransom.

We wait until they confirm Neves to tell them their price is unreasonable. Brilliant strategy.

Correct decision.

PSG will come back to the table at the end of the window, at the right price
Possibly. Though Ornstein also says "negotiations will not be allowed to drag on until the end of the market". Which suggests were looking to bring in someone before the end of tje window, rather than play cat and mouse with PSG over the fee until the end of it?

The thing I most liked about Ugarte was his energy. As much as I far more prefer watching ball playing midfielders to energetic ball winners, I recognise the importance of the latter as well and get frustrated that so many other clubs have them and we rarely do. So I was hoping we'd get Ugarte for that role. If not him, I hope we go for someone similar rather than a player like Rabiot.

We might be bluffing but it's the right move. Time isn't on our side, and we can't waste the entire summer on him.

Correct decision. Feck them if they think they are getting back the full amount they paid to get him in the first place. Also, hilarious that they think there are other suitors interested in him and are going to pay €60m. Yea good luck with that.

What do we reckon is our ceiling there ? 40-50m€ ?
Somewhere between €40-45m, I reckon. They bought him for €60m a year ago and are already looking to move him on as the manager doesn't rate him. It should be a fair price but they think we are still have the same dummies from the previous regime who'll pay whatever they ask.

Frustrating, but the right move given we have to reset our public perception as a soft touch in the transfer market - hopefully just short-term pain for a couple of seasons while we rebuild something of our reputation in the market going forward.

The right choice to step away, but I hope they have already have explored otthers because otherwise its a bit late

Hm. I think midfield is low priority again and the focus is now on securing De Ligt and Mazraoui. If we can’t get Ugarte on the cheap I can see us panic signing Amrabat for a second season running.

Good move, the next club we deal with will know how serious we are. We got to get moving though because starting the season with Casemiro isn't viable at all. If Bayern decline our next bid raise the middle finger to them too.

Is DM the most neglected position in United's transfer history? Has to be up there.

That's a very sensible approach and I rate Ugarte and believe he'd be a great addition. Just not at any cost especially when P$G are the ones without much leverage yet are pushing a hard line.

Well. The season starts in another 11 days. Not sure about "not dragging it". ANy new acquisition won't have a proper pre-season at this point.

It will be Rabiot or Amrabat.
Either of those would be useful cheap additions as a second midfield signing. But we also need a DM who'll offer plenty of energy and legs in there as well as the main signing.

Ugarte would have been ideal to offer us that much needed energy and bite in the middle of the pitch. Hopefully they've got a similar target lined up, but I haven't really heard many other options in a similar mould.

I'm a little worried that if we don't get Ugarte, it's going to end up being a poorer, more short term alternative like Rabiot or Amrabat as the main signing and address the position for the long term next summer instead. Which is far from ideal as it's a crucial area that needs fixing.

Ugarte know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em, know when to walk away and know when to run.

You never count your money, sitting at PSG’s table, there’ll be time enough for counting, when the deal is done.

Good work sir.

Is DM the most neglected position in United's transfer history? Has to be up there.
We literally bought Casemiro and Amrabat in the last 2 seasons. Bad businesses maybe(which we are trying to change) but it's not been neglected. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.