Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to sound unkind but that first video is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

Between 23 seconds and 44 seconds makes me really question what that person thinks "under pressure" means.

Tie his lands and legs and ask him to do a Kerlon like seal dribble past 6 defenders. While we're at it, have a sniper threaten to shoot him if he fails. If he can't pass this pressure test, he's a phony and we shouldn't sign him.

Tie his lands and legs and ask him to do a Kerlon like seal dribble past 6 defenders. While we're at it, have a sniper threaten to shoot him if he fails. If he can't pass this pressure test, he's a phony and we shouldn't sign him.

A player in his position doing random juggling and keeps ups would be more silly than your post.

Playing passes that McTominay would play 100 times out of 100 is also a useless thing to look at.

A player in his position doing random juggling and keeps ups would be more silly than your post.

Playing passes that McTominay would play 100 times out of 100 is also a useless thing to look at.

That's exactly it. He's a deep lying defensive midfielder and it's more critical how he enhances overall team play rather than how he gets out of isolated instances. Most DMs fly under the radar with nothing magical, but will improve everyone around them.

This is a great, unsexy signing that will actually make the team much better. I think his impact could be similar to Palhinha's to Fulham, which I think was massive. Similar skills IMHO.
He’s really strong - seen a few people mention Palhinha and that’s what he reminds me of as well from a strength and power perspective. Put it this way, I’d fancy him in a 50/50 against anyone in our current midfield, and I’d fancy him to last 90 mins better than all of them too.
Based on what I've seen and feedback from a couple of the Sporting posters, Ugarte's an upgrade over Palhinha. Sporting were apparently playing Ugarte ahead of Palhinha and were happy to move the latter on.

It could also be why PSG are demanding a higher fee that what Bayern paid for Palhinha. I just hope we manage to negotiate a good fee and get him in before he's scheduled to return to training.

That's exactly it. He's a deep lying defensive midfielder and it's more critical how he enhances overall team play rather than how he gets out of isolated instances. Most DMs fly under the radar with nothing magical, but will improve everyone around them.

I'd argue the best number 6's in the prem and football in general are better on the ball than what we see here.

Rodri
Rice
McAllister
Caicedo
Guimaraes
Kimmich
Xhaka

I think we are setting ourselves up to continue to be dominated in midfield but be gritty and tough against it. I'd rather be the team that dictates the play than the side who are really great playing in front of the ball.

We will see anyway.

I'd argue the best number 6's in the prem and football in general are better on the ball than what we see here.

Rodri
Rice
McAllister
Caicedo
Guimaraes
Kimmich
Xhaka

I think we are setting ourselves up to continue to be dominated in midfield but be gritty and tough against it. I'd rather be the team that dictates the play than the side who are really great playing in front of the ball.

We will see anyway.

I have major doubts thats Ten Hag's vision. But to be fair, I'm still trying to work out what his aim is.

I have major doubts thats Ten Hag's vision. But to be fair, I'm still trying to work out what his aim is.

He's the manager so I will totally support him when the season starts.

I think his vision of how a midfield works is really hard to understand and is making the majority of our team look poor. We will see but this signing would feel like a clear continuation of that.

I'd be so so happy to be proven wrong as he is very professional.

We need an aggressive defensive midfielder to be next to Mainoo. Mainoo can grow, we have very good playmakers out the back as well. Ugarte is good on the ball, he's just not creative but that's fine. He keeps it well and isn't a liability or a time bomb. Defensively off the ball is our biggest issue and he helps that a ton.

Yeah +1. Wait and see approach with a ballwinner + Mainoo I think is good enough for this season as much as I want a Matic / Alonso / Carrick type player. Mainoo might evolve into an FdJ type player who can both pass and carry or he hits some limits next season and we'll then decide what happens after.

Either way a heat-seeking missile type destroyer profile is important to have in the squad so the transfer won't be a waste even if we sign a playmaker next year. Guardiola signed Kalvin Phillips for similar reasons. I believe that City were interested in Fred too as much as they deny it.

Not to sound unkind but that first video is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

Between 23 seconds and 44 seconds makes me really question what that person thinks "under pressure" means.

It's a not a professional video but I found some value in it even if the examples are a bit loose of the 'under pressure' tag. It is raw footage though, which is interesting to watch juxtaposed alongside compilations.

I think a lot of the situations in the video are mostly safe examples where you would usually pass it back where it came. I was a bit disappointed that his touches were a bit loose and he didn't really attempt to turn on the ball i.e drag it under his feet to then face goalwards or switch to more a more progressive area etc a few times. However, it was only '25' examples so you can't deduce too much and it was examples of his time at PSG and with Uruguay; there's another video showing his ball carrying and tenacity when at Sporting a few pages back.

A full 90 compilation against a PL team, to give a more accurate idea of the type of player he is.

Ngl, he looks too limited to me. Similar to a Schneiderlin, great defensive stats, but perhaps not good enough at the highest level.

A full 90 compilation against a PL team, to give a more accurate idea of the type of player he is.

Ngl, he looks too limited to me. Similar to a Schneiderlin, great defensive stats, but perhaps not good enough at the highest level.

In his defense he was constantly under pressure and given crap passing options.

One game does not mean much. Could be a crap game or a bad period. Every footballer has them.

Someone was posting earlier his bad games against Milan and Newcastle. Well yes, but we could do this with every player on the planet, cherry picking their worst games in a season to show how bad they are.

I mean on that basis, De Ligt would look bad as well.

Rui Coata explained yesterday that they have received a bid for Neves. He also mentioned that he never said neves won’t be sold unless the price is 120m. Seems like neves could be bought for a lower price. I read somewhere that PSG will offer 70-70m euro for Neves. If that is the case, and they also require 70m from us for Ugarte, the question is, if they are valued at same price who would be the better player to go for. Another question could be, how much should we be willing to pay more for the better player or vice versa

Rui Coata explained yesterday that they have received a bid for Neves. He also mentioned that he never said neves won’t be sold unless the price is 120m. Seems like neves could be bought for a lower price. I read somewhere that PSG will offer 70-70m euro for Neves. If that is the case, and they also require 70m from us for Ugarte, the question is, if they are valued at same price who would be the better player to go for. Another question could be, how much should we be willing to pay more for the better player or vice versa

They are not the same price. PSG bought Ugarte for 60m Euros i believe. He is unwanted now, that means his price will be around 50m.

I also dont believe Neves will go for 70m. He may go for 90 or 100m. We simply dont have the money to spend 100m on a player now, as we need more positions to cover. So Ugarte looks like a no brainer.

I have to be honest. I've not seen much of him but looking at some videos of him one thing is certain. He's got a great engine and seems incredibly athletic. Thats exactly what we need in our midfield. A ball-winner with great stamina and speed. Perfect for our attacking midfielders to have him cleaning up.

While someone like Rabiot might be more skilled on the ball, we have plenty of players who can pass it around. We need someone to win battles in midfield. From what I've seen I would love to have him around Mainoo, Mount and Bruno.

One game does not mean much. Could be a crap game or a bad period. Every footballer has them.
Seen quite a few of his game compilations, and they are mostly similar. It could be a bad game, or it could be his median level.

There's a reason PSG want to get rid after only one year. We might be too eager to overlook his faults because he's our current flavour of the month/saviour/only reliable midfield transfer we have been linked to.

I'm in favour of this signing but we should really be paying 40m euros or thereabouts if PSG bought him for 60 and already want to offload him

50 tops I'd say

There's a reason PSG want to get rid after only one year. We might be too eager to overlook his faults because he's our current flavour of the month/saviour/only reliable midfield transfer we have been linked to.
Or maybe this is his median level, where he looks like a technically sound workhorse with a solid passing game:

He obviously alao just had a very good Copa America, is in every team of the tournament I've seen.

Seen quite a few of his game compilations, and they are mostly similar. It could be a bad game, or it could be his median level.

You may be correct but football isn't always linear.

He may not fit in with the way PSG want him to play but he may very well fit into the role we have in mind for him. Yoro and Lisandro both look to be good at progressing the ball forward, so that should help with how we function as a unit.

He looks like a good squad addition rather than the ideal starting no 6 (or such talent).

I think people are going to be in for a massive shock if they think this guy alone shores up midfield.
It’s a tough one. If we play as we did last season then no midfielder in world football will thrive because they simply had too much space to cover. If we get our first choice defence out then it’s a different proposition because I’d expect us to be playing higher up the pitch, much better in possession and then the midfield can focus on squeezing the pitch and winning the ball higher up. In that scenario a ball winner like Urgate could be brilliant. I have my reservations about his ability on the ball but if (and it does feel like a big if) we get our first choice defence out there’s so much quality on the ball there that we do ease the pressure on midfield.

It’s a tough one. If we play as we did last season then no midfielder in world football will thrive because they simply had too much space to cover. If we get our first choice defence out then it’s a different proposition because I’d expect us to be playing higher up the pitch, much better in possession and then the midfield can focus on squeezing the pitch and winning the ball higher up. In that scenario a ball winner like Urgate could be brilliant. I have my reservations about his ability on the ball but if (and it does feel like a big if) we get our first choice defence out there’s so much quality on the ball there that we do ease the pressure on midfield.
I agree, as much as he may be in decline Casemiro got hung out to dry somewhat last season, when he was left alone in midfield whilst Bruno and McT both played as advanced as a 10, isolating even the best midfielders like this would leave them an impossible task, when we actually changed toward the last few matches to play with 2 holding mids, it all looked a lot more solid, I do not think it is just about who we have in midfield, it is how the midfield is set up, the instructions given for positions in attack and defence, Ugarte certainly seems to have the legs to get up and down, as does Mainoo, I think it is more how we play not who we play, that said, think we need to shift Case and Eriksen and bring in/promote 2 mids with the speed and stamina to play the system ETH seems to favour

INEOS should be able to get a good deal here...if PSG want Neves and Ugarte is surplus to requirements then United should be looking at a bargain.

Ugarte IN
Casemiro/Amrabat OUT

Would be very neat and tidy.

Yep agree with this - this guy is not who you want at the base of your midfield as his every sinew wants to be chasing and tracking like a terrier, so if we do intend to play high up and win the ball in the oppo half, great, but if he’s the guy expected to sit and cover, then he’s going to get stick because holding position isn’t instinctual to him and he’ll often be dragged out of position and nowhere to be seen in terms of shielding the backline.

Put him in a 3-man midfield, ahead of someone who loves sitting, however, and it’s a totally different proposition where he gets to run and tackle to his heart’s content, without abandoning his position and leaving the heart of his team exposed.

The way he’s being talked about, it seems many believe he’s the guy to come in and cover behind Mainoo. It’s those people who will be massively disappointed, imo.

Yep agree with this - this guy is not who you want at the base of your midfield as his every sinew wants to be chasing and tracking like a terrier, so if we do intend to play high up and win the ball in the oppo half, great, but if he’s the guy expected to sit and cover, then he’s going to get stick because holding position isn’t instinctual to him and he’ll often be dragged out of position and nowhere to be seen in terms of shielding the backline.

Put him in a 3-man midfield, ahead of someone who loves sitting, however, and it’s a totally different proposition where he gets to run and tackle to his heart’s content, without abandoning his position and leaving the heart of his team exposed.

The way he’s being talked about, it seems many believe he’s the guy to come in and cover behind Mainoo. It’s those people who will be massively disappointed, imo.
Yeh you’re absolutely right here. Personally I think Mainoo is a little underrated in his defensive aspect, he’s positionally pretty savvy and I think it makes sense that in the fullness of time he’s given greater defensive responsibilities. Until Bruno moves on I think it makes sense to keep playing a version of the 4-5-1 with two defensive midfielders and a natural CAM. Eventually I’d say we should move to a 4-3-3 with Mainoo as a more advanced 8 and a natural holding player.

I think he will improve the team immediately - if viewed as an Amrabat replacement then certainly an upgrade.

Looks like the profile of player we certainly need in the middle and at 23 can improve still with time on his side.

I do feel we will need an upgrade on him in 2-3 years if we want to start challenging for the league.

At that point he then moves to a squad player, which isn’t the worst thing. We will also hopefully not be in this position in the market where we are skint / lack of options / desperate to improve ASAP!

Personally i would go for Adam Wharton instead of Ugarte. More creative, more controlling and dictating the ball.

Plus Wharton is left foot and can be back up for Martinez as CB with left foot.

Like this :

Bissaka - Yory - Wharton - Shaw

If Shaw can play LCB and Wharton can it too in needed and crisis.

De Ligt + Ugarte = Adam Wharton

60 -70 mill euro for Ugarte vs 30 -40 mill euros for Adam Wharton. If it was me. I would go for Wharton

Wharton = playing more dominating and controlling against team that park the bus. The way Ugarte controlling and spreading the ball around is not the same as Wharton. Ugarte is most useful against top teams with high line.

Ideally it will be :

Wharton for Eriksen

Ugarte for Casemiro

But Wharton has top tackling and defensive ability too. Break up opponent attack:

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/430774/History/Adam-Wharton

Wharton had 3 tackles average in each game for Palace last season. Interception 1.3

Ugarte 3.9 tackles average and 1.6 interception.

So average on tackle lesser than Ugarte.

But with key passes. Ugarte 0.6 vs Wharton 1.3 in avg in key passes

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/408962/Show/Manuel-Ugarte

Like above. Adam Wharton is better with the ball and with the creative and offensive. When Ugarte had around avg 1 more tackle.

And if United and Ten Hag want to play proactive and dominating football. If only one of them. United need Wharton more thand Ugarte. A more complete cm player.

Personally i would go for Adam Wharton instead of Ugarte. More creative, more controlling and dictating the ball.

Plus Wharton is left foot and can be back up for Martinez as CB with left foot.

Like this :

Bissaka - Yory - Wharton - Shaw

If Shaw can play LCB and Wharton can it too in needed and crisis.

De Ligt + Ugarte = Adam Wharton

60 -70 mill euro for Ugarte vs 30 -40 mill euros for Adam Wharton. If it was me. I would go for Wharton

Wharton = playing more dominating and controlling against team that park the bus. The way Ugarte controlling and spreading the ball around is not the same as Wharton. Ugarte is most useful against top teams with high line.

Ideally it will be :

Wharton for Eriksen

Ugarte for Casemiro

But Wharton has top tackling and defensive ability too. Break up opponent attack:

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/430774/History/Adam-Wharton

Wharton had 3 tackles average in each game for Palace last season. Interception 1.3

Ugarte 3.9 tackles average and 1.6 interception.

So average on tackle lesser than Ugarte.

But with key passes. Ugarte 0.6 vs Wharton 1.3 in avg in key passes

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/408962/Show/Manuel-Ugarte

Like above. Adam Wharton is better with the ball and with the creative and offensive. When Ugarte had around avg 1 more tackle.

And if United and Ten Hag want to play proactive and dominating football. If only one of them. United need Wharton more thand Ugarte. A more complete cm player.
Can’t see Palace selling him this summer at all.

Yeah this is the problem when people just watch highlight videos. Fact is most here that are desperate for him to join haven't seen him play.

I was scarred by Schneiderlin who I thought would be a great signing but was far too limited on the ball.

Things that will most likely happen at United too :lol:
Yep. I keep seeing people talk that we need a fighter in the middle who will protect the back, which is true, but they're forgetting that we were also not winning midfield battles because our midfield wasn't good enough to receive the ball from the back and progress play forward enough. If teams pressed us, we would fold because they could isolate sections of our defense+midfield (ex. AWB and McTominay) and we would have to desperately hoof it up. By having Martinez and Yoro, that should improve, but we still need a midfielder who can handle presses and also supply our forwards with volume passes. With that, the only person they can isolate is AWB, but he'll have all his teammates as options to help him out or bail him out.

This is unlikely to happen unless we sell a midfielder first.

Yep. I keep seeing people talk that we need a fighter in the middle who will protect the back, which is true, but they're forgetting that we were also not winning midfield battles because our midfield wasn't good enough to receive the ball from the back and progress play forward enough. If teams pressed us, we would fold because they could isolate sections of our defense+midfield (ex. AWB and McTominay) and we would have to desperately hoof it up. By having Martinez and Yoro, that should improve, but we still need a midfielder who can handle presses and also supply our forwards with volume passes.
Isn’t that what Mainoo excels in though? He can receive the ball under pressure and his very good at it. He can also carry the ball. So if we had a destroyer who can win the ball then lay it of to someone like Mainoo who’ll then progress with it, that should work. Last season we had Casemiro who looked like a 70 year old. His legs had gone so that’s why we was losing a lot of midfield battles. Ugarte will offer us more legs and can cover more ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.