Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swiss Rumble has already explained that we don’t effectively have many limits on PSR anymore. They calculated we can easily spend 250m this summer without having any concerns.

So the only limits financially are actual cash flow, and our internal limits on sustainable spending. I don’t believe any player has to leave for us to be able to sign anyone unless we literally have no cash in the bank and no access to credit facilities.

I believe we will be working hard to balance the books over the course of the summer and we will see plenty of outgoings to accomplish that, but I don’t believe for a second that we aren’t able to buy anyone without selling. The hard data just doesn’t support it.

We have cleverly repositioned the perception of the club as being unable to spend, thus proving a powerful negotiating tool, but the idea that we HAVE to sell to buy, from a purely financial perspective, has been debunked by those willing to look hard enough into the facts.

PSR was a concern up to June 30th, but with 21/22’s exceptional losses now dropping out of the three year cycle, we no longer have any PSR concerns. In fact, it’s been explained that will the pure profit sales of academy players this summer, and the wage reductions from losing Martial, Varane, and not playing in the CL, we could effectively afford to sign 4 players for 100m each on 300k p/wk contracts and still not breach PSR this season. We’ll never come close to that outlay, but it’s perfectly within the clubs reach to spend 200-250m this summer without selling anyone.

Great post, I agree and I think that we as a club are trying to get the best players possible this summer while also working on the sustainability of our business.

Part of that is offloading some of those expensive contracts, coupled with this new (and better imo) approach of signing good young players (on reasonable wages) that we can develop further via instalment-contracts. I doubt we will be spending 250M of actual money, but we may get players worth around that and pay it over a number of years - a bit like Chelsea but without the ridiculous transfer fees, and with a good footballing structure making the calls. We’re spending wisely on transfers even though we have the funds to spend callously like we’ve done in the past, so that we can sort out our debt / stadium plans - Seems smart/obvious but it’s taken a change in ownership to get there.

We’ll push hard to sell one of Scott/Case, but if we aren’t able to sell, we’ll still go out and get Ugarte closer to the deadline - the angle of ‘we need funds to buy Ugarte, but we are restricted by PSR, hence why we’re demanding this much for Case/Scott’ will help United get the best value they can for those two midfielders.

Any danger of buying any English players this summer? Before we know it the club will just be a collection of foreign mercenaries

It is strange how Erik did U turn regarding no6 position. From playmaker like De Jong being priority, he decided to go for destroyers Casemiro and now Ugarte.
I remember him saying right from the off that if we couldnt buy a connector (his term for that sort of player) we'd make one instead. Lo and behold, Kobbie emerges. Maybe that has shifted the priority towards someone who's less expansive and more steely? I wouldn't have thought pairing Mainoo with an FDJ-lite would be a great idea in the Premier League.

Rather spend the extra 20 on Neves instead. He'll be worth it far more than Ugarte
A midfield of Mainoo and Neves would get run through so much in the EPL. I'm not even sure Ugarte will help stop that, but I can at least see how it might work with him.

Also I have a feeling Benfica will push for more than the €80m that PSG have supposedly offered so far.

It is strange how Erik did U turn regarding no6 position. From playmaker like De Jong being priority, he decided to go for destroyers Casemiro and now Ugarte.

Clearly he sees Mainoo as his future De Jong, and his best Ajax side had Lasse Schöne as their destroyer in a double pivot.
Because we play in Premier League. Schone was not a pure classic destroyer like Ugarte but he was OK for Eredivise and a good run in CL.

Any danger of buying any English players this summer? Before we know it the club will just be a collection of foreign mercenaries

Was looking for the white text, sadly you seem to have misplaced it along with your common sense.

Rashford, Maguire, Mainoo, Awb, Shaw, Mctominay (born in lancaster not scottish) Sancho, Tom Heaton, Mount....

Not enough Brexit for you?

Why is PSG willing to let him go after only a year? Has he been that disappointing?

Was looking for the white text, sadly you seem to have misplaced it along with your common sense.

Rashford, Maguire, Mainoo, Awb, Shaw, Mctominay (born in lancaster not scottish) Sancho, Tom Heaton, Mount....

Not enough Brexit for you?

To be honest, white text isn't always needed when the joke is as obvious as that one.

Echoing other sentiments but the price they've slapped on him isn't that much more than Neves, I know they aren't the same kind of player but I'd test the waters with him far sooner than I'd pay the insane price PSG are asking. That being said I think PSG will come way down in their valuation.

Im pretty sure this guys isn’t first choice like DeLigt

do we need Rabiot. Collyer looks very promising - the next Mainoo?
Not sure, Mainoo was the best player in the U18s when he got promoted. Haven't really seen that in Collyer but our coaching staff have clearly seen something they like.

€70m is far too much. You would want to be getting one of the world's best holding midfielders for that price.

Not really seen us linked to anyone else though. Suppose there could be stuff under the radar going on, but so far the stuff that's been out in the public, have been the targets we've actually gone for.

Well we were linked with Neves but sure also don’t rule out something else behind the scenes. We have let this fee agreement drag on for a while like De Ligt

Im also sure we are not willing to pay anywhere near his asking price

Rather spend the extra 20 on Neves instead. He'll be worth it far more than Ugarte
Pretty sure Benfica are wanting £100m+ - which is way more than £20. Agreed probably a better player in the long term - but they're also very diiferent players no?

In what sense? He'll be a bench player or we have a bigger target?

Because our rivals completely outdo us on that front right? City and Arsenal for one are famously stacked with English players.

Jokes aside on the strange Brexit FC point, its not like we haven't tried. We would have been in for Branthwaite if Everton weren't trying to fleece us. The reality is because of the English tax, a lot of the top English talents simply aren't attainable, nor represent value when better foreign players could be had at more reasonable costs, especially when you factor in financial constraints.

If that still doesn't appease you then I suggest you take that up with the FA and lobby them to mandate some form of domestic quota like we see in other leagues. The MP for Clacton might be a good ally for getting that started.

So ideally, we should also be signing a playmaker in midfield - one who is a high volume passer becuase we don’t have that player in there. But as a squad option, this guy does sound like a good addition and I love how fast we are moving.

I agree. I have always think that Gattuso and Pirlo were perfect duo. So if you have Ugarte, you will need at least a poor man's Pirlo there also. But only Ugarte would be better than nothing.

I can see this transfer working really well. Would be great if we could keep Casemiro for another year to compliment him / coach him

Personally, I would prefer someone who is better on the ball. The more limited players you add the harder it is to play front foot football. That (along with age) was why the Casemiro signing surprised me last year. So ideally, we should also be signing a playmaker in midfield - one who is a high volume passer becuase we don’t have that player in there. But as a squad option, this guy does sound like a good addition and I love how fast we are moving.
Did you not see Mainoo had the highest pass accuracy in the Euros since records began? 96%

Mainoo's ability to bring the ball forward as well as being a solid passer means the need for a De Jong type playmaker is less of a priority. He's already close to being world class.

He's probably still holding a candle for Frenkie and is leaving that spot open for him.

Also the club probably made a DM a priority after we conceded 10,000 shots on goal last season.

I'm not sure thats the case here. With CBs we've been linked to a couple of signings in parallel - our interest in Branthwaite, Yoro and Todibo were well known as we also started drumming up interest in de Ligt.

The only other midfielders we seem to have been linked to are Neves and Rabiot, but the former looks like he's off to PSG and the latter - well that seems incredibly tenuous and I'd hazard a guess that the interest is conjured up from his camp.

Maybe if we could find an English player who plays for Ajax or was born in Holland.

If English players are overrated and everybody knows it, why is it so important to buy them rather than seek for academy prospects or sign potentially great youngsters instead? I'd rather pay 70 mil for a better player than Branthwaite than him because he is English. Who cares? Are you afraid that you'll lose touch with the club?

If there are better ones out there for the same or lower price then you should buy them, not just waste money and create potentially difficult situations in the future by having lack of funds etc.

It's interesting to see how English players are held in too high regard just because. I understand if we are talking about homegrown quota, but it's not that conversation at the moment, right?

Maybe if we could find an English player who plays for Ajax or was born in Holland.
I heard Yoro's love of stroopwafels is why we signed him, so maybe there's an uncut gem in the championship with a penchant for Gouda we can bring in?

Might be the better prospect but they play different positions with far different strengths. No way we're starting two 19 year olds in midfield in front of an 18 year old at CB either.
De Jong is not a no.6. De Jong would've always been beside a player like Casemiro or Ugarte, anyway.

There is no u turn. Ten Hag wanted both a destroyer and Frenkie.

Pretty sure Benfica are wanting £100m+ - which is way more than £20. Agreed probably a better player in the long term - but they're also very diiferent players no?

In what sense? He'll be a bench player or we have a bigger target?

We have a bigger target

Status
Not open for further replies.