Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope we sneak it over the line before the scouts realise he's a central midfielder and veto the deal.

I don't know much about him other than he's great at recovering the ball, which is exactly what we need. A player who can break up play and get the ball moving quickly forward to Mainoo, Bruno etc.

I think Gattuso had more of a rounded game.
I honestly don’t think that he did but he was consistent and he imposed himself on the big games.

I think people will be pleasantly surprised by how much more Ugarte has in his locker. A locker that PSG didn’t open

Wasted all this summer to end up paying what they wanted anyway.

We will leave him isolated in midfield and blame him anyway.

Isn't that how it usually works? You don't agree with a price you look for alternative options at a perceived correct value. Or would you just prefer your board to roll over and pay whatever anyone wants for a player?

It sounded like they wanted it all upfront and now part of it is incentive-based anyway, so it doesn't appear to be the same deal that was originally quoted regardless.

Stopped listening after 13 seconds. Nonsense opening and then describing their opinion as "the truth". No thanks.
People have to remember that the people making these videos are the same as them - they have an opinion and will drive the narrative in that direction. Just because they can make nice videos don’t make them right

He's right up there for tackles, interceptions and getting on the ball. Its exactly what we need to provide control in midfield. The only question is can he step up to this level.

Maybe we can play a midfield 3 of Ugarte, Mainoo, Casemiro? And have Fernandes and Mount behind Hojlund/Zirkzee in big games?
No Pace and Dribbling in that team, maybe have Rashford/Amad/Garnacho for Mount and that's not a bad team, able to break quickly with the pace of Hojlund and Rashford and passing of Bruno and Mainoo.

Can’t say I know much about Ugarte, but we certainly could do with a midfielder who can sit a little bit deeper and has a bit of athleticism, energy & dynamism, and can keep the ball. Hopefully Ugarte fits the bill. At least Uruguayans usually have a good basic technique and are warriors.

Knowing Ten Hag we won't see him in the team for 6 weeks. Usual rubbish he not ready needs few more training sessions. Rubbish

Get him in Sunday and get going.

I hate to spill cold water on this but he is a midfielder with few goal involvements to his name. Four assists and no goals in 109 appearances over three years in Portugal and France. And we will in return lose McTominay's goals and assists.

My concerns would go if we were also seeking a creative midfielder. But we are not. Where are the goals coming from?

We managed just 57 goals last season.
But in return in theory we’ll concede less, and also have a higher number of turnovers in better positions leading to more goalscoring opportunities.

This isn’t a like for like transfer replacing McTominay, it’s a different type of player.

It'll be interestng to see what formation we now play, with all the new signings im not sure how we get our best players on the pitch at the same time.

Knowing Ten Hag we won't see him in the team for 6 weeks. Usual rubbish he not ready needs few more training sessions. Rubbish

And then he won't look his best and you'll have the usual crowd on here moaning how he's not good enough

In bold is the key thing, most likely if we end up paying full price it's because he's been an unquestionable success.
Yep definitely. It’s rare that we get to find out what the add ons are for, but it wouldn’t surprise me if clubs start using them as a PSR/FFP work around where they are very achievable add ons but mean that the payment is spread over a further 3/4 years.

So probably best deployed as a defensive no.8, rather than a sitting no.6? Maybe a similar type of set up Chelsea had with Jorginho and Kante?

You could pair him with Casemiro for a defensive team or have Kobbie playing deeper as a DLP in the no.6, but most of the defensive work is covered by Ugarte?

That would be a traditional way of looking at it, I think in a Ten Hag team where we want to press high I can see when defending his job will be to drop deep and win the ball but when in position I can imagine Mainoo dropping deeper to get the ball due to his ability to pass out from the back and progress the ball.

Don’t know much about Ugarte
Don’t know much the point of Anthony
Don’t know much about the Dutch I took
And I don’t really get Ten Hag’s playbook
But I do know that I feel blue
And I know that if you feel blue too
We should probably go watch City

:lol: that's brilliant

People have to remember that the people making these videos are the same as them - they have an opinion and will drive the narrative in that direction. Just because they can make nice videos don’t make them right
We'll see but Enrique is a smart cookie.

I hate to spill cold water on this but he is a midfielder with few goal involvements to his name. Four assists and no goals in 109 appearances over three years in Portugal and France. And we will in return lose McTominay's goals and assists.

My concerns would go if we were also seeking a creative midfielder. But we are not. Where are the goals coming from?

We managed just 57 goals last season.
I’m not sure using a defensive midfielder’s offensive stats is a valid process. The team needs a 6 who can sit and deal with issues that appear when the first press is broken. Ugarte can do that and he’s ultra mobile in that area.

Offensive output will benefit from this alone.

Depends on how achievable the add ons are. It an initial €10 million discount on what PSG wanted, which was their €60 million back.

I also think they wanted to make sure we were getting full value for McTominay before signing another midfielder.

I’m sure everyone involved would have preferred him in straight after the Copa America but these kind of negotiations are part of what we’ll have to go through now to ensure we stop getting ripped off.
I think the key was McT. I don't think the issue was United thinking the price was way too expensive, like Branthwaite, it was that we needed a sale to make the move happen.

I also think they were asking for €70m at the start of the window, but that price went down to €60m relatively quickly.

I honestly don’t think that he did but he was consistent and he imposed himself on the big games.

I think people will be pleasantly surprised by how much more Ugarte has in his locker. A locker that PSG didn’t open
Yeah, needs some pushing.

A few others too, like Carl Anka.
fair enough.

from what I see, he is not a bad passer, but he'll still have to pass the eye test when he turns up for us, and as of now, I think he is a capable passer, not an elite one, but more to safe and keep it ticking type of player.

We are scarred from McTom and Fred passing in previous years, recently that improved with Eriksen & Cas in 2022-2023, but then they can't keep up physically, now with Mainoo and even Mount, passing ability within the midfield group is better, Martinez also adds to that with his distribution, Ugarte hopefully can keep possession and let it tick since we have the likes of Mainoo who is excellent in progressing through midfield with his dribbling and Bruno who can create, Ugarte can be the one who can just keep it simple and focus on his defensive duties and breaking up play.

Pleased to finally see this is getting done. Will be a big addition to our squad and I expect he starts more often than it when up to speed. A lot of pressure on him though as it feels like people are hoping he has a transformative effect which is probably unfair.

No chance he starts Sunday to those asking. Look at the example of our other signings. He hasn't played at all since the Copa America if I'm not mistaken. Definitely not been involved in Ligue 1.

good to see INEOS seemingly get the deal they want, it really does seem like the hold up was simply outgoings though. I must confess to not knowing much about the lad but on paper at least he should fit the player profile that we need. We just need the forwards to start to click with the finishing, but at least we seem to be making chances so far this season.

I assume he'll come on off the bench because we don't have anyone else to come on for old man Cas or Mainoo.

Wilcox delivering the goods. Excellent. Expensive, but I think it's on the limit of fees we're now willing to pay. For a young player with plenty of potential, I think it's a very good deal.

Glad we haven't let this go to deadline day. Still a few days in the window to concentrate on clearing the deadwood and hopefully bring another in.

I hope he makes the team for Sunday, as he would be useful vs liverpool. Glad we got this over the line. Lets hope he adapts quickly and makes us harder to play through.

Status
Not open for further replies.