Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess PSG don't need to worry about money (so they can set the transfer fee) and they saw how much United paid for Yoro (also playing in France)

So I'm beginning to think United will be the ones to pay up in this stand-off.

Lot of stat attack. Thread should be named “Manuel shite at stats Ugarte”.

GVe0rNAWIAA2FDI

GVe0zWCa0AEE5hs

GVe04wmaMAQVtHo

Won’t be surprised if the rumoured £50m price turns out to look as though both sides have won. So, it could be circa £40m (around the price Ineos were believed to value him at) plus £10m in difficult add-ons. PSG can say it’s worth £50m to them (haha), whilst we think we’ve got a good deal. Headline price means nothing until the details come out - if they ever will.

Won’t be surprised if the rumoured £50m price turns out to look as though both sides have won. So, it could be circa £40m (around the price Ineos were believed to value him at) plus £10m in difficult add-ons. PSG can say it’s worth £50m to them (haha), whilst we think we’ve got a good deal. Headline price means nothing until the details come out - if they ever will.
They always make out like we paid more for players. The sum for Yoro came out wrong I think.

Not convinced about this guy, wrong player and not right quality

Thought we’d pulled the trigger with all the tread action. Disappointed to see page after page of stat bore-offs.

What’s wrong with you people, surely there’s a miserable hole on Reddit or a Carl Anka article where you can post this dirge?

Last edited:
Of course we will (or at least I) give him a chance, it's not like we have a choice anyway. And I will be hoping he proves me wrong...but just because some people aren't blindly optimistic about every potential signing, that doesn't mean they're pessimistic or downplaying the player's abilities. You can ignore all the red flags about Ugarte, but don't be surprised if in 12 months' time Collyer is considered the better player and Ugarte has no real future at United.
I’m not optimistic about every signing either that we make that we make and history has shown in these past 11 years that we have got more signings wrong than right. But with each of those signings regardless of what their stats are like because we don’t know how they will perform in a new team/league environment, I will give them a chance to prove me wrong if I don’t rate them/would rather we spent the money elsewhere.

The thing you mentioned about Collyer is something the whole club hope for that our academy players can step into the 1st team & outshine the players that have been signed. Similar to what Garnacho has done to Antony & Mainoo to Eriksen. We want to see our academy players flourish as there is no better signing/feeling when you see them do so. It’s the clubs DNA.

You're comparing different types of players. Of course someone like Onana wins a much higher percentage of duels, because he goes in for way, way less of them, because he is a sitting midfielder, not an aggressive, pressing ball winner.

Ugarte:
Screenshot-2024-08-21-180729.png

Onana:
Screenshot-2024-08-21-180743.png

Of course you're going to have a much higher percentage of challenges won if you only try to tackle 1.7 dribblers per 90 instead of 4.5.

The concern with Ugarte's relatively low duel winning percentage is best put into context by these numbers:
Screenshot-2024-08-21-181213.png

These are the numbers for Kante at Chelsea while he was unquestionably world class and arguably the best ball winner of all time. 43% win rate. Same as Ugarte, playing the same role.
This is excellent contextualisation. Now I'm going to go look at how his other stats compares with Kante's. Of course they played in different leagues, so it's not a true like for like but still, this is good a comparison as any.

Whenever we sign a player the media always includes the add ons in the fee even if the add one are near impossible, I even remember the media including wages and agent fees in some of our transfers over the years and making fees look double what they were.

He will be under pressure and rightly so. I don't know how much Arteta spent in the same time span as ETH, and nor do I think we should be aligning our standards with Arsenal's.

These injury record mean absolutely nothing though to be fair. We signed an 18 year old CB that as only ever been injured or out for 3 days before he joined us. Signed Hojlund who’s only ever been out for like 9/10 days before joining us.
He is 23 and has many full seasons under his belt though. Not comparable.

Didn't Hojlund have a back injury when he joined us?

North County Antrim and into County Londonderry. They've also been known to eat cheese and jam sandwiches up thon way. Weirdos. Sorry mods - off topic.
Never heard that saying in my life to be honest and I live just outside Londonderry and would be in there throughout the week. It wouldn't surprise me at the same time if it was a saying from here though :D

They always make out like we paid more for players. The sum for Yoro came out wrong I think.
Whenever we sign a player the media always includes the add ons in the fee even if the add one are near impossible, I even remember the media including wages and agent fees in some of our transfers over the years and making fees look double what they were.
Yes, exactly. I’m not getting too wound up about the ‘reported’ fee. Ineos and Mendes are no mugs. They can both massage PSG’s ego as long as the deal is to our advantage.

Spend all summer chasing a player (dithering). We need football people and not bankers running the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.