Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this payment spreadout talk is pure cope. It matters only for FFP and accountants, a 60M signing is a 60M signing no matter how you choose to pay it.

Every club spreads their new signings' payments out over several years, except for rare cases when the selling club insists on a lot of money upfront, or if there is a release clause. This isn't some new innovation Ineos have come up with, but it often seems to be worded like that.

387470dc6917bc650abdbe717955cb0b.png

For fun I included Wharton on this one to show why those of us who've watched him a good bit rate him so highly and want him here (I know there's been recent sentiment that's he's way too overhyped). A mobile, very good passer who also thrives in his defensive work is the ideal partner for Mainoo in a midfield.
Out of curiosity can you compare Ugarte at Sporting to the other players/Wharton lasts season in the same way ?

3 CBs Martinez, Yoro and De Ligt plus a goal keeper too.

Also Ugarte can actually pass through the lines if anyone bothered to watch him play
To say that, he has to be able to do it with great frequency; do you still believe it to be true?

Personally don’t think Yoro and sugary deals are remotely comparable. Yoro is largely considered the best CB prospect in the sport. He’s the type of player that if he does what we think he will he’ll be on the team sheet for a decade.

Ugarte is most likely a cog in the squad for what he does and doesn’t bring.

You can still make a decision on overpay vs not even if we're signing prime Messi right? (well maybe not actually Messi, but you get the point).

It's hard to argue Yoro wasn't an overpay. He had a year left on the deal and his market value was nowhere close to 70M EUR. The payment was just a creative way to actually get the player. We paid and the club / agents / whoever off and they pulled off some judo move to convince him to move to United. I'm not very optimistic that he'll actually stay the full 10 years if he fulfills his potential and we'll have a similar contract situation as Lille in 3 years.

Anyway, independent of all of that, we paid above market for both players. If they come good, then it's genius and if they don't then they look like idiots.

Do people think it will end up being a permanent deal now or loan with obligation to buy?
It's pretty much the same thing, just how it ends up being reported in the finances as to whether it goes into this financial years reports or next year's.

(Please correct me if that's incorrect).

Jadon Sancho and Antony
No one buys Antony.....not even for 20 million.

I would keep Sancho for this season because we don't have a real quality winger.....i would give him a chance.

Antony is Antony.
Maybe Rashford has another bad season.
Can Amad show his quality in the pre-season also in competitive matches?
Garnacho must also improve.

Should we get a 40 million offer for Sancho then of course sell him.

To say that, he has to be able to do it with great frequency; do you still believe it to be true?
I do. His role at Sporting didnt call for it they played a different game. At PSG he didnt have the best time but the manager also didnt want his profile of CM.

Watching him play for Uraguay he has the tools to do it just like people didn’t think Casemiro was good on the ball before he was signed

Hes not Busquets but hes an awful lot better than whats being said in this thread

No one buys Antony.....not even for 20 million.

I would keep Sancho for this season because we don't have a real quality winger.....i would give him a chance.

Antony is Antony.
Maybe Rashford has another bad season.
Can Amad show his quality in the pre-season also in competitive matches?
Garnacho must also improve.

Should we get a 40 million offer for Sancho then of course sell him.
So Antony is deadwood.

So is Sancho he hasnt been a good wide player for 3+ years

Nice that you cropped out everything else to make it seem closer :lol:

PIdMJdq.png
No, I just cropped the image from my previous page to show just the defensive stats. Not everything is a conspiracy.

Ugarte is a 9/10 off the ball. 5/10 on the ball.
Neves is a 8/10 off the ball. 8/10 on the ball.

And Neves is 4 years younger. I know which one I would prefer.

No, I just cropped the image from my previous page to show just the defensive stats. Not everything is a conspiracy.

You need to seriously get over the fact that we didn't want Neves and Ugarte is our top target.

Look, we tried to sign him earlier in the window but unfortunately didn't have a player Benfica coveted like PSG did with Sanches. So it would have been a much more expensive deal for us. He probably was the top target but guess what you don't always get that

Ugarte is obviously better than 5/10 on the ball. Try watching him play, he is also not smaller than Martinez which is obviously going to have been considered.

Will some of his doubters just give him a chance, yes I have concerns about the lack of progressive forward passes but doesn't mean I write him off

Rodri arguably isn't a DM though, if you look at his stats. He plays there but City just dominate possession so he doesn't have to defend.

Brilliant ball player, but he fits City perfectly, if he was at Dortmund or somewhere it would be a different story.

City just are brilliant getting the right players for how they want to play, and it elevates those players to a new level.

rodridejong.png

Compare Rodri to Frankie De Jong, who isn't a DM.

Is Rodri really a DM? no.
They signed him from Ateltico btw, he’s definitely a DM

Blimey some of the comments on here would make you think we are about to sign Jonjo Shelvey or Mark Noble.

Give the guy a chance first ffs before you write him off.

This idea of looking like fools etc is nonsense. Who gives a feck. Identify the player and get him. None of this Woodward era willy waving.

Will some of his doubters just give him a chance, yes I have concerns about the lack of progressive forward passes but doesn't mean I write him off
Not every player has to be progressive we have 5 other players on the pitch who should be more progressive than a CDM and that’s not even including the FBs. We need a player with legs who can shield the back four and then pass the ball quickly to the progressive players. Simple.

Ugarte is 23 and you are talking like he is in his 30's. Neves is a completely different profile of midfielder and is not what the team really needs, Ugarte is.

You need to seriously get over the fact that we didn't want Neves and Ugarte is our top target.
If I think United is making a massive mistake, I will voice my opinion. I did it when we bought Mount, and many tried to "United/ETH knows best" me that time too. I dont care.

If Ugarte flops, me or you wont be affected. Its United that will be stuck with another 60M high paid player we cant get rid of.

I've been pro every player United signed this season, even Mazraoui, who most Caftards were not a fan of. Ugarte's limitations are a big red flag to me, for the price mentioned.

We will see soon enough, I guess.

Ugarte is obviously better than 5/10 on the ball. Try watching him play, he is also not smaller than Martinez which is obviously going to have been considered.
He's not good in the air though.

Not every player has to be progressive we have 5 other players on the pitch who should be more progressive than a CDM and that’s not even including the FBs. We need a player with legs who can shield the back four and then pass the ball quickly to the progressive players. Simple.

I think the trouble is you get these daft comparisons to the likes of Rodri, also people sore we didn't sign either of Onana or Neves so will highlight his worst stats just to prove a point

Blimey some of the comments on here would make you think we are about to sign Jonjo Shelvey or Mark Noble.

It’s just this one poster who’s shitting all over this deal making it look like we are about to sign as you said Jonjo Shelvey or Mark noble. So many have tried to tell him, calm him down but he’s just throwing his toys out of the pram moaning and whinging non stop why we didn’t sign Neves instead of Ugarte.

Takes two seconds to not make yourself look like an idiot.

Above shows a comparison of Ugarte to the other "top" DM's in the league (Included Casemiro's "good" season), along with another player who could have been a potential DM target for us. Ugarte (as I said before) presses like a maniac but loses out on duels more than any of the rest of them, and isn't really going to contribute much outside of his defensive work. He's also not giving you any sort of aerial presence either, which on it's own isn't a huge deal but when mixed with him being hit or miss in 50/50's tends to raise more red flags.
Ugarte is not a sitting DM he is a ball winner. You can compare him with Kante to understand the playstyle.
He attempts much much more tackles and therefore lose more.

It’s just this one poster who’s shitting all over this deal making it look like we are about to sign as you said Jonjo Shelvey or Mark noble. So many have tried to tell him, calm him down but he’s just throwing his toys out of the pram moaning and whinging non stop why we didn’t sign Neves instead of Ugarte.
I can see who it is… Don’t think he realises PSG paid the full Neves fee all in one instalment to Benfica. We could not afford that and would have only been able to pay it in instalments which doesn’t take rocket science to work out which one is the more attractive offer for the selling club.

Plus was reported throughout the summer that the player wanted to go there so would have been pointless going after a player that deep down would rather be elsewhere. Basically Di Maria situation all over again.

Neves is a completely different profile of midfielder and is not what the team really needs, Ugarte is.
I think he is the exact profile we need. Someone who is defensively solid ballwinner, but also elite at beating the press, and a high volume/accuracy progressive passer. Imo, its the perfect profile for our midfield.

From the way I see it, once the season rolls on, more people will start to realise how much we miss a real baller in the middle of our park. My guess is that will happen once we face a team who plays our midfield off the park as usual, and our players are chasing shadows and unable to control the game, we will come to regret buying a pure ball winner. Hopefully I'm dead wrong.

I dont wanna sidetrack this thread with too much Neves talk, so I'll stop now.

Look, at this stage we tried (really hard it seems) to get the price down to what we wanted but at the end of the day we simply have to sign him so yes we may be overpaying but based on his circumstances but get it done, going the full season without him would be the bigger mistake

Of course we will (or at least I) give him a chance, it's not like we have a choice anyway. And I will be hoping he proves me wrong...but just because some people aren't blindly optimistic about every potential signing, that doesn't mean they're pessimistic or downplaying the player's abilities. You can ignore all the red flags about Ugarte, but don't be surprised if in 12 months' time Collyer is considered the better player and Ugarte has no real future at United.

I think the trouble is you get these daft comparisons to the likes of Rodri, also people sore we didn't sign either of Onana or Neves so will highlight his worst stats just to prove a point
Yep agreed, I’ll be very happy with a ball winning midfielder who can protect the back line.

Of course we will (or at least I) give him a chance, it's not like we have a choice anyway. And I will be hoping he proves me wrong...but just because some people aren't blindly optimistic about every potential signing, that doesn't mean they're pessimistic or downplaying the player's abilities. You can ignore all the red flags about Ugarte, but don't be surprised if in 12 months' time Collyer is considered the better player and Ugarte has no real future at United.

My knowledge of Ugarte is limited, but this isn’t remotely realistic and would indeed be a surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.