Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd absolutely love if that was a loan with an option to buy.

His performances dropped after he moved to PSG. He was still alright but nowhere near the levels he showed at Sporting. It remains to be seen if that was due to him struggling in a better league or not.

Loan with an option to buy allows us to assess if it was a one off and if he can adjust to the PL before spending big dosh on him. It will never happen though.

It’s an obligation to buy, not an option.
Would be painful if he had a poor first season.

I'd absolutely love if that was a loan with an option to buy.

His performances dropped after he moved to PSG. He was still alright but nowhere near the levels he showed at Sporting. It remains to be seen if that was due to him struggling in a better league or not.

Loan with an option to buy allows us to assess if it was a one off and if he can adjust to the PL before spending big dosh on him. It will never happen though.
It will definitely be an obligation.

So how does loan with obligation to buy work? Is the obligation officially written in to the deal or is it dodgy gentleman's agreement stuff that only works because no one would dare piss off Mendes?

So how does loan with obligation to buy work? Is the obligation officially written in to the deal or is it dodgy gentleman's agreement stuff that only works because no one would dare piss off Mendes?
Isn't it self explanatory ?

Well, not really, because why is it different to a normal deal with instalments?
Loan with obligation to buy have always been a thing & it is self explanatory, and yes that can come with payment terms at the obligation stage

I would imagine there's a set of conditions for the obligation to trigger (or to negate it), though less so than an option.

Finance-wise I seem to recall UEFA count these pretty much the same as an actual transfer.

I would imagine there's a set of conditions for the obligation to trigger (or to negate it), though less so than an option.

Finance-wise I seem to recall UEFA count these pretty much the same as an actual transfer.
Okay, I'm getting the impression here that these things aren't quite as self-explanatory as I'd been led to believe.

If it's just fiddling the books and there's no other purpose to it then surely it should be yes.
I’m not sure ‘fiddling the books’ is the best way to describe it. It could often be because a club wants to sell a player, but the ideal buyer doesn’t have the funds immediately, so the clubs make some compromises to facilitate the deal.

I appreciate your point though. But I feel this is on the very ‘light’ side of financial manipulation, in the grand scheme of things.

Because the asset is still owned by the parent club. In footballing terms it doesn’t have any real impact, but in financial terms it does.
I don't understand? I'm just saying if it was a loan with an option then we can send him back without buying him incase he flops like we did with Amrabat.

With an obligation, I'd imagine it would be some easy conditions which will make his move permanent next summer even if we don't want it.

I don't understand? I'm just saying if it was a loan with an option then we can send him back without buying him incase he flops like we did with Amrabat.

With an obligation, I'd imagine it would be some easy conditions which will make his move permanent next summer even if we don't want it.
This could well be the case, to be fair. Perhaps we will become privy to this details later.

I’m not sure ‘fiddling the books’ is the best way to describe it. It could often be because a club wants to sell a player, but the ideal buyer doesn’t have the funds immediately, so the clubs make some compromises to facilitate the deal.

I appreciate your point though. But I feel this is on the very ‘light’ side of financial manipulation, in the grand scheme of things.
Can you not do all that with structured payments, with no need for any loan pretence?

If it's just fiddling the books and there's no other purpose to it then surely it should be yes.
If it gets accepted, then we're signing him permanently and the transfer will go through in June 2025. In the meantime, he's joining on loan. Does that help?

This is pretty common practice. You've heard of David Raya right? What about Cristian Romero? Still no? Okay, Kylian Mbappe, how about him?

Can you not do all that with structured payments, with no need for any loan pretence?
I suppose so, yeah. I’m no expert, but I imagine there is some nuance between these two approaches, though. Accounting, taxes, wages etc. These transactions existed before the inception of FFP, though.

If it gets accepted, then we're signing him permanently and the transfer will go through in June 2025. In the meantime, he's joining on loan. Does that help?

This is pretty common practice. You've heard of David Raya right? What about Cristian Romero? Still no? Okay, Kylian Mbappe, how about him?
Blimey. Ok this does need repeating.

There is no way on earth they will give us the option clause.

The obligation maybe possible.

Romero or Raya wasn't an obligation. Both options.

It's officially written in and we must buy him on x date and until then it's a non-cancellable loan. Would basically be our player straight away but not technically. We'd probably still pay his full wages. So other than that technicality it'd be the same as normal deal with installments that are deffered for a year. It's just to balance the books. They charge a little bit more money but we don't have to pay til next year.

Blimey. Ok this does need repeating.

There is no way on earth they will give us the option clause.

The obligation maybe possible.
I'm not sure what part of my post made you think I didn't get that. The obligation bit is why it would be a transfer going through in a year, as with obligations the transfer is usually fixed for the end of the loan term.

I'm not sure what part of my post made you think I didn't get that. The obligation bit is why it would be a transfer going through in a year, as with obligations the transfer is usually fixed for the end of the loan term.
They have hard balled all summer. There is no way they go for option instead of obligation. How can you not understand that?

Option does not equal obligation.

Off topic, but I have always wondered why transfers don’t go ahead became ‘the club won’t accept instalments - they want the fee up front’.

Why on earth wouldn’t the buying club just use a bank/financier to overcome this issue? Sure they would pay interest, but I imagine that instalment transfers cost more anyway.

Just look at it like a regular transfer but pay later. It just helps with FFP.

Hopefully we aren‘t paying over 50.

Romero or Raya wasn't an obligation. Both options.
Raya was halfway, it became an obligation due to appearances being triggered. That obligation clause was expected to be met from the off.

Fair on Romero.

Locatelli to Juve, Porro to Spurs, Nuno Tavares to Lazio and Kean back to Juve are recent examples of loans with obligations to buy

They have hard balled all summer. There is no way they go for option instead of obligation. How can you not understand that?

Option does not equal obligation.
Are you reading posts before you respond to them? I have said obligation, I am explaining obligation. I have not mentioned option, I don't know why you're going on about option.

How can you not understand that?

Locatelli to Juve, Porro to Spurs, Nuno Tavares to Lazio and Kean back to Juve are recent examples of loans with obligations to buy
Cheers, I dropped the ball with the Romero example as that was an option as pointed out. But as you've shown, it is common practice.

Are you reading posts before you respond to them? I have said obligation, I am explaining obligation. I have not mentioned option, I don't know why you're going on about option.

How can you not understand that?
My apologies I thought I was replying to saik not didz. Saw the short name with no capitals :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.