Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never watched him. Sounds like he'll help defending open spaces and get stuck in and win the ball near our box etc.

But his profile means we are likely to still play hot potatoe with the ball in midfield.

I'm of the camp where control in the midfield is top priority. I prefer technical players with passing range and a sense for tempo. This is why I'm not as big a Bruno fan as so many United fans.

We need someone who can get stuck in (Ugarte) but also someone who can control tempo too

He's exactly the profile of midfielder we need. We are not going to be a possession heavy side under Ten Hag so an industrious ball winner is a must.

I really hope they have a surefire alternative in place then. Do not like the thought that we're calm about the prospect of going until at least January with our current midfield options.

Yeah I certainly wouldn't feel calm about that

Can someone explain to me why so many tacticos are unimpressed? I remember watching a couple of Sporting games a couple years ago and he had a good passing game on him. But the experts all say that he can’t pass forward and that he’s too limited a player compared to the likes of Rodri. Some help here?

I don't like postponing such an important signing to deadline day. Risky. We are arguing with PSG over 5-10m euros for a month now, basically.

Can someone explain to me why so many tacticos are unimpressed? I remember watching a couple of Sporting games and he had a good passing game on him. But the experts all say that he can’t pass forward and that he’s too limited a player compared to the likes of Rodri. Some help here?
My understanding is when he initially broke through in Uruguay he looked like a press resistant carrying midfielder but since the move to PSG he's more of an elite ball winner and possession recycler. I wonder if it started once he ended up at Sporting, as he replaced Palhinha who is now a very similar player to Ugarte -- covers every blade of grass, tackles at a ridiculous rate.

Maybe the move to us in a midfield two would unlock that side of his game again.

Was curious so I just watched, and he had a very poor game. The compilations I've seen have been a lot better. Watch his performance in the SF vs Dortmund or any of his games in the Copa.

Wait is this a test on how little United fans know about this fella? Ugarte was an unused sub in both legs of the semis mate (Vitinha started and finished both legs if I remember correctly), the only game PSG won against Dortmund last year (They played each other 4 times) was actually when Ugarte started a game for PSG! I thought his performances in Copa were decent, didn't he have a good game vs Brazil?

How is a negative £150m net spend not bad when we got to contend with PSR and FFP?

Euros not pounds and I think we'll still be able to satisfy the regulations no problem based on everything I read. The question is if it's responsible to spend that money and if the new owners will sanction it. I personally don't think it's irresponsible given our revenues are 750M EUR for last year and wages were ~200M EUR. Not to mention guys like Martial, Varane left opening up a bunch of wage space and reduced wage budget permanently.

Net spend (all in euros) is -104M (current window), -143M, -219M, -110M, -64M over the past five.

Can someone explain to me why so many tacticos are unimpressed? I remember watching a couple of Sporting games a couple years ago and he had a good passing game on him. But the experts all say that he can’t pass forward and that he’s too limited a player compared to the likes of Rodri. Some help here?

Perhaps tactical instructions I would imagine. You'd be surprised how many times players are asked to keep it simple in possesion simply because they are playing with more technically gifted players.

Also it's not unknown for a player to arrive at a club and take a while before being fully comfortable expressing themselves especially when that club has a bigger stature and is competing against a better calibre of opponent as is the case at PSG.

I think once he's settled and comfortable at a club you may see a more creatively expressive player (much like the player he looked at times playing for Sporting).

I don't like postponing such an important signing to deadline day. Risky. We are arguing with PSG over 5-10m euros for a month now, basically.
They need to sell him, so it makes sense to push them if we are to leave our past reputation for overpaying behind.

My understanding is when he initially broke through in Uruguay he looked like a press resistant carrying midfielder but since the move to PSG he's more of an elite ball winner and possession recycler. I wonder if it started once he ended up at Sporting, as he replaced Palhinha who is now a very similar player to Ugarte -- covers every blade of grass, tackles at a ridiculous rate.

Maybe the move to us in a midfield two would unlock that side of his game again.
My thoughts exactly! He’ll be forced to move the ball forward in our team and harken back to his Sporting days. Helps that he’s got the ability to tackle in him. Uruguayan! So the intensity will still be there.

Mostly due what PSG asked him to be and how Zaire-Emery rise to occasion and was better at every single one of those tasks.

Would be a great deal if we can offer Sancho on loan for a year to reduce the fee paid to PSG for Ugarte

Gets us Ugarte at a reasonable price
Gets Sancho’s wages off the bill
And we could hopefully include an obligation to buy if appearance targets were met

It enables PSG

To get a fee for Ugarte
To get Ugarte wages off their books
Effectively a free loan of Sancho (if wages can be agreed)

Makes sense for all parties. Assuming PSG have any interest in Sancho of course
I've been hoping for Sancho to be included as well. Why not just a two way loan though (us getting Ugarte for a year on loan, PSG getting Sancho for a year)?

That works similarly to a swap deal financially, but means we don't have to commit to Ugarte long term if an even better midfielder (e.g., Wharton) is available next year. Also, by next summer Sancho only has one year left on his deal and would be easier to move or just let the contract expire.

From PSG's perspective, they get to try Sancho out for relatively free with no commitment. I'm sure they'd prefer to sell Ugarte to us fully, but there are no other buyers out there for leverage. This way at least they preserve his value and if he performs well for us there will be takers next year.

Tried getting back into FM this year but gave up within a few game weeks because the squad and non-playing staff needed too much re-work :lol:

It really laid bare the issues with our squad building, dressing room and so on, it probably increased my empathy towards ETH especially after the injuries.
New FM is out in October with the biggest overhaul in a decade for it's GUI and other stuff.

Wait is this a test on how little United fans know about this fella? Ugarte was an unused sub in both legs of the semis mate (Vitinha started and finished both legs if I remember correctly), the only game PSG won against Dortmund last year (They played each other 4 times) was actually when Ugarte started a game for PSG! I thought his performances in Copa were decent, didn't he have a good game vs Brazil?
Whoops, I didn't know that at all, thanks for setting me straight. I just assumed the compilation of the Dortmund game I watched was the semi-final!

Obligation to buy…so looks like PSG will get their 60 million after all. I couldn’t care as long as he performs to a 60million worth player

Loan with obligation makes sense. Let’s just hope if it’s a high fee the obligation is that we win the league.

So without another sale, a loan works best for the books?

Loan with obligation to buy, not an option like with Amrabat, sounds like it would work for everyone involved

I'd absolutely love if that was a loan with an option to buy.

His performances dropped after he moved to PSG. He was still alright but nowhere near the levels he showed at Sporting. It remains to be seen if that was due to him struggling in a better league or not.

Loan with an option to buy allows us to assess if it was a one off and if he can adjust to the PL before spending big dosh on him. It will never happen though.

Status
Not open for further replies.