Manuel Ugarte Uruguay flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
ETH already tempering expectations with the "came later than everybody else" in presser today

He was trying to get his excuses in after the Pool loss by saying long way to go for Ugarte to get to full fitness and Ugarte went and played two 90s without any problems. He can't look like an idiot in front of the player / fans, so he's going to use the late arrival thing as an excuse to not start him immediately.

He is back in training at Carrington today so there is no reason he cant start against Saints

I think it is more likely he is going to be on the bench. ETH is going to have to manage the squad and everyone is expecting him to throw Casemiro under the bus but as things stand we will need him over the course of the season, therefore he probably will show faith by picking him for this game knowing that it is one of the few fixtures where he is not going to be exposed.

I think it is more likely he is going to be on the bench. ETH is going to have to manage the squad and everyone is expecting him to throw Casemiro under the bus but as things stand we will need him over the course of the season, therefore he probably will show faith by picking him for this game knowing that it is one of the few fixtures where he is not going to be exposed.

You greatly underestimate our shitness.

With the incoming 3 games in 8 days we are not going to have to wait long to see him in the starting eleven.

Saturday will be too soon imo but 20-30 minutes off the bench and then he can start midweek against Barnsley.

With the incoming 3 games in 8 days we are not going to have to wait long to see him in the starting eleven.

Saturday will be too soon imo but 20-30 minutes off the bench and then he can start midweek against Barnsley.
Yeah, that's what I expected as his best case scenario all along, even before Casemiro stank up Fortress Old Trafford

Despite the ranting of lunatics on social media, Goldbridge being the leading example, it really does make sense to not start Ugarte and bring him on in the second half to close out the last 20 minutes. He plays in arguably the most physically demanding position in football, will have 10 hours by plane and is working off an illness. It would be counterproductive to start him.

Start him, it is a no brainer. I prefer a tired Ugarte who could last 70mins to a fully fresh but shit Casemiro

Why? That obstruction above is a yellow at worst. He isn't really the sort that goes around flying into tackles with his studs up. Never seen him as a walking red card and generally feel quite comfortable when he is on a yellow. Not same pace as the PL, granted.

Its not to do with the above, he is more aggressive than Casemiro, similar to Romero from Spurs, I think he will get a couple, especially as refs like to target United

He is our only hope now. If he is also shit then we are done for this season. Or maybe I'm asking too much since our midfield is so shit now!
I do have some hope he can actually make this system click. Perhaps him and mainoo will be able to handle it centrally. We already looked a bit more composed in the start of this season compared to last. Perhaps with him on board, it’s the missing piece.

I hope so, but don’t really believe it myself. We won’t have a midfield until Bruno starts playing likes he’s part of one. And i doubt that will happen

Despite the ranting of lunatics on social media, Goldbridge being the leading example, it really does make sense to not start Ugarte and bring him on in the second half to close out the last 20 minutes. He plays in arguably the most physically demanding position in football, will have 10 hours by plane and is working off an illness. It would be counterproductive to start him.
Agreed, there is a definite argument for him not starting against Southampton. The usual suspects will be frothing at the mouth if he is only on the bench though. We will see tomorrow anyway.

I do have some hope he can actually make this system click. Perhaps him and mainoo will be able to handle it centrally. We already looked a bit more composed in the start of this season compared to last. Perhaps with him on board, it’s the missing piece.

I hope so, but don’t really believe it myself. We won’t have a midfield until Bruno starts playing likes he’s part of one. And i doubt that will happen
The missing piece is when we get a head coach who considers midfield the heart of a team and not an after thought

Don't tell me we are going to have to put up with another Casemiro disaster class in the art of passing :rolleyes:

Don't tell me we are going to have to put up with another Casemiro disaster class in the art of passing :rolleyes:
It‘s possible he gets a second chance to prove he can do better. I also would be fine with Collyer starting.

Agreed, there is a definite argument for him not starting against Southampton. The usual suspects will be frothing at the mouth if he is only on the bench though. We will see tomorrow anyway.

We will see. This is not an opponent we should rush a player in for that’s not obviously fit. If Casemiro drop turds — although to be fair his critics should actually watch the video closely again and pay particular attention to the positioning of the referee — then let’s bring on Ugarte if he’s fit enough for 45 minutes, but it would be mismanagement to expect Ugarte to be fit enough to play a full 90.

He'll either be shit or He'll get injured for 3 months, there's no in between these days
I really find it quite unnecessary to pigeonhole our players in this way.

It's perfectly possible for any of them to be shit and then get injured for 3 months.

Exactly what we expected. Not really that guy as a solo pivot so 3-1-6 is reliant on centrebacks until one of the teammates drop in to assist in linking play but nice snap in his ball winning

Importance of him will probably become greater, when he'll put pressure on Casemiro to start doing something right.

Exactly what we expected. Not really that guy as a solo pivot so 3-1-6 is reliant on centrebacks until one of the teammates drop in to assist in linking play but nice snap in his ball winning
Good thing we don’t play 3-1-6

It's a sort cameo, but I already love him. His ball control, passing, and tackling looked really good.

I like how he was giving out directions to our defense. What I didn't like that he was instructed to stay in the same position as Casemiro does which leads to him playing the ambulance passes and losing possession.

It will be an issue against the better opposition when he won't have any support. Notice when Eriksen was playing there's no one isolated in that Casemiro position.

No way. We can’t afford him getting injured in a game we can manage without him. Play Casemiro and Eriksen. Rest Mainoo and ugarte.

Ugarte and Mainoo start vs palace.
Couldn't disagree more. It's a perfect game to give him his first start to get more familiar with new team mates. Plus he could do with the minutes with a limited pre season

Couldn't disagree more. It's a perfect game to give him his first start to get more familiar with new team mates. Plus he could do with the minutes with a limited pre season
We won’t be playing a full strength squad, got europa starting next week. Premier in full swing now.

It’s all fun and games until he gets injured. Let players that need minutes play. Keep best starting 11 injury free. If we need ugarte to beat Barnsley we got issues