Manuel Ugarte Uruguay flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
I think he’ll improve our midfield but at the same time not solve a major problem we have in terms of having a deep lying playmaker that can pick the ball up from the centre backs and progressively move it through the 3rd’s.

60mins in, been best one of the best players on the pitch so far. Regularly winning his duels and keeping the ball well. One negative is he lost the ball once which led to a very good chance for Almiron who wasted it.

Edit : As I type it, he gives the ball away again. :lol:

Last edited:
Team was a shambles with only 4 regular starters on the pitch, but certainly looked like he will need a few games to find his stride.

Definitely a good thing he got nowhere near the pitch on Sunday.

I think he’ll improve our midfield but at the same time not solve a major problem we have in terms of having a deep lying playmaker that can pick the ball up from the centre backs and progressively move it through the 3rd’s.
This isn't an issue with an individual. If we can't move the ball from defence to attack with those player we have at disposal, it's collective / tactical problem.

EtH may not even be here by the time he is ready to start a game.

60mins in, been best one of the best players on the pitch so far. Regularly winning his duels and keeping the ball well. One negative is he lost the ball once which led to a very good chance for Almiron who wasted it.

Edit : As I type it, he gives the ball away again. :lol:

Team was a shambles with only 4 regular starters on the pitch, but certainly looked like he will need a few games to find his stride.

Definitely a good thing he got nowhere near the pitch on Sunday.

How can two people watch the same game and have such different opinions?!

Apparently his stats from this game were excellent.

Feel like both can be true. The other poster probably feels he can be better but also for me he was the best in a very poor quality match. Both teams barely created any good chances.

His highlights which obviously omits his bad moments:

Highlights from the game itself where it shows the couple of times he gave the ball away which I was talking about in my earlier post.

Easy. I was at the stadium, can't see shit from far, don't have commentary, replays or stats. Don't get to watch intently and run the rule on "good/bad" every time his name is mentioned.

As I said, the entire team was a garbled mess and it was ine of the worst games of football I've watched in years. The last time I got so bored and frustrated at the Centenario was in 1997 (not exaggerating, I know exactly which snoozefest I'm comparing to).

So all that didn't help at all but I could barely recognise him on the pitch. He may have had different instructions, but I didn't see the build up go through him, any pause, any crowd-raising tackle, any diagonal balls to the flanks or pressing high up. The few times I worked out it was him on the ball he looked off his usual pace/dynamism.

I wouldn't be surprised if his stats are better than for the very ordinary players lumping the ball all over the place, but he didn't stand out, which he usually does, significantly.

Easy. I was at the stadium, can't see shit from far, don't have commentary, replays or stats. Don't get to watch intently and run the rule on "good/bad" every time his name is mentioned.

As I said, the entire team was a garbled mess and it was ine of the worst games of football I've watched in years. The last time I got so bored and frustrated at the Centenario was in 1997 (not exaggerating, I know exactly which snoozefest I'm comparing to).

So all that didn't help at all but I could barely recognise him on the pitch. He may have had different instructions, but I didn't see the build up go through him, any pause, any crowd-raising tackle, any diagonal balls to the flanks or pressing high up. The few times I worked out it was him on the ball he looked off his usual pace/dynamism.

I wouldn't be surprised if his stats are better than for the very ordinary players lumping the ball all over the place, but he didn't stand out, which he usually does, significantly.

Ok, grand. Thanks. Sounds like he’s undercooked after missing preseason.

De Ligt also hasn't in over 5 years apparently.

Suggests the stat is bollocks then. If a CB doesn't hold the defensive line and someone gets in behind the defence that's an error IMO but I bet that doesn't count towards this stat. Still, not losing the ball in stupid positions where the team is exposed would be good, particularly if we're going to spend so much time in stupid positions where we're exposed every game.

Suggests the stat is bollocks then. If a CB doesn't hold the defensive line and someone gets in behind the defence that's an error IMO but I bet that doesn't count towards this stat. Still, not losing the ball in stupid positions where the team is exposed would be good, particularly if we're going to spend so much time in stupid positions where we're exposed every game.
It will be misplacing a pass, that leads straight to a shot for the player that gets/intercepts it, without passing to someone else.

It's a good stat to have, but obviously there will be other errors, and errors that lead to a goal, just not directly.

How on earth can this be true? every one of our players has been making 2-3 Errors leading to shots per game let alone the entire season. That is one of the most questionable stats I can recall.
Define "error leading to shot", I guess.

There's literally one from last night's game in the highlights above. He makes a sloppy pass to a teammate who should get to it first really, but sits back worrying if it's 50-50 and he doesn't win it the guy is off. Ball then squared to onrushing teammate who shoots wide from edge of box.

Error + shot, probably disqualified for that stat to be remotely true -albeit useless- over such a long period.

Ugarte will likely be more effective and efficient in pressing and winning duels compared to Casemiro. However, we'll still face the same issue: if the press is bypassed, our back four will be left vulnerable. From what I've heard, his recovery ability isn't the best either, which is concerning. That said, hopefully, his off-the-ball intensity will reduce the frequency of teams breaking through our press.

Ugarte will likely be more effective and efficient in pressing and winning duels compared to Casemiro. However, we'll still face the same issue: if the press is bypassed, our back four will be left vulnerable. From what I've heard, his recovery ability isn't the best either, which is concerning. That said, hopefully, his off-the-ball intensity will reduce the frequency of teams breaking through our press.

He's reasonably quick and full of energy, he's got to be better at recovering than Casemiro/McT at least...

How on earth can this be true? every one of our players has been making 2-3 Errors leading to shots per game let alone the entire season. That is one of the most questionable stats I can recall.

Up there with the "Virgil Van Dijk has never neen dribbled past" stat.

He's not going to be a major improvement on Casemiro on the ball that's for sure. He has a brain-fart pass in him too, so please temper your expectations..

He's not going to be a major improvement on Casemiro on the ball that's for sure. He has a brain-fart pass in him too, so please temper your expectations..
Except he is. Casemiro is capable of great passes, but his recklessness and pass completion is an issue for us. He was directly at fault for 2 of Liverpool's goals.

Ugarte apparently has 0 errors leading to shots for club football in 5 seasons, so what brain fart passes are you talking about? He has around 90% pass completion too in all of these seasons while Casemiro is sitting at between 75% and 80% for us.

Depends what you mean by "improvement".

Their pass accuracy over recent seasons is what it is, and Ugarte clearly gives the ball away less often than Casemiro. With that comes more conservative passing, but a lot of people would take that trade-off in a DM's passing game.

But even high retention passers misplace around one in every ten, so obviously he'll still give the ball away.

Except he is. Casemiro is capable of great passes, but his recklessness and pass completion is an issue for us. He was directly at fault for 2 of Liverpool's goals.

Ugarte apparently has 0 errors leading to shots for club football in 5 seasons, so what brain fart passes are you talking about? He has around 90% pass completion too in all of these seasons while Casemiro is sitting at between 75% and 80% for us.
Read the posts above. Also in Copa he also made a couple when under no pressure. @antohan watches him regularly.
Depends what you mean by "improvement".

Their pass accuracy over recent seasons is what it is, and Ugarte clearly gives the ball away less often than Casemiro. With that comes more conservative passing, but a lot of people would take that trade-off in a DM's passing game.

But even high retention passers misplace around one in every ten, so obviously he'll still give the ball away.
I mean major improvement - so more consistent than Casemiro but still susceptible to giving the ball away under absolutely no pressure. Can't have that for a possession-based side which is why he's coming to us. Not a bad thing, mind.

hegarte, shegarte, itgarte.
igarte, ugarte, wegarte, theygarte.

I just hope he doesn't follow the trajectory of United signings of recent years who've proven to be a revelation after the first couple of games - "We finally have a proper {insert position here}!" only for them to prove a liability come the end of the season where we start to look at alternatives for the same position in the next transfer window.

Antony scored on his debut, Amrabat was immense on his debut, Casemiro looked like Casemiro during his early united career, pretty much every fullback we've signed post Fergie - whether its Darmian, Telles or AWB has looked like they were going to lock down the position for years to come, only for them to be considered not good enough not too long after, same can be said for the CBs. Heck I'm even not entirely sold on Martinez considering his injury record and the fact he's been worryingly average since coming back from injury.

Ugarte could have an absolute stormer against Southampton but the unfortunate reality is I don't think I can really feel convinced until much later in the season providing he's been consistently putting out 7/10 performances on average.

Read the posts above. Also in Copa he also made a couple when under no pressure. @antohan watches him regularly
That's why I said for club football and not international. The ones he made against Paraguay and in Copa shows on the statistics. For club football, he hasn't made one for five seasons. Casemiro made two against Liverpool and generally gives the ball away a lot.

He is our only hope now. If he is also shit then we are done for this season. Or maybe I'm asking too much since our midfield is so shit now!

He is our only hope now. If he is also shit then we are done for this season. Or maybe I'm asking too much since our midfield is so shit now!

As United supporters we need to stop hinging our hopes on individuals. How is one player going to save us when the system under Ten Hag has mostly been dysfunctional during his time at the helm?

Ugarte is coming into a team that hasn't put in a string of consistent high level performances for years and he could be yet another victim of the circumstances he finds himself in. He'll need patience. This story has played out before.

It's an unenviable position for him to be in. A bit like Hojlund last summer coming into the side and expecting to be an immediate answer to our lack of goals, despite him having around 5 minutes of top flight experience.

In an ideal world these players are slowly introduced to what's an already well oiled and functional system, but in our case we're desperately hoping every new signing is the Hail Mary silver bullet that pulls us out of this rut and gets us going.

Truth is it doesn't matter who we sign if we continue to look tactically chaotic and bereft of any ideas or structure on the pitch. If things don't improve soon our next signing should be a new manager.

He's playing now Vs Venezuela. Mostly solid with a few loose passes so far.

Anyone watch the game last night. How did he look after getting 90 mins fitness wise