Manuel Ugarte Uruguay flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
6/10 performance because of his poor passing, but is the perfect foil for a more attacking CM like Eriksen. I think his passing will get much better as he acclimatises to the team's tactics and personnel. Yes we've always needed a safe passer of the ball to keep things ticking nicely but right now he's being overly conservative with his passes as if he's still playing for Enrique. When his more difficult passes fail it's quite usually due to a miscommunication or him being doubled on without any support. I don't expect him to do well in the latter scenario.

This is one of my major bugbears on this forum and I have been a pedant about pulling people up on it.

So many posters say "I wouldn't have signed Player X, I'd have signed..." and then proceed to roll-off the same old crap list of lads who are good on Football Manager / FIFA or whichever piece of EuroTrash is being hyped by 442 podcast that month.

They can do that and never be proved "wrong" because nobody is going back and retrospectively vetting where their signings ended-up.

Nothing new. See also "we should have signed Diarra/Zakora/Reo-Coker/whoever instead of Carrick" from the opening months of '06.

Don’t mind him keeping it simple and retaining possession. I’d rather him hand the ball off to the more technically better passers in the team, than attempt something audacious and hand the ball away. His defensive work rate and ability to break up play more than makes up for his supposed poor; when it really isn’t too much of an issue anyway and I feel pretty exaggerated.

Have to agree. Sad really and what happened to the narrative of 'bedding in', it's his first season to the country, league, language, club, coach, team, style of play etc...?
I’m not saying this in relation to Ugarte but surely the last ten years is enough for people to stop acting like you necessarily need to give every player a season to judge them. Sometimes it’s just that easy to tell the wrong player has been signed.

For the most part our impactful signings have been good from the start. Martinez, Bruno, Matic, Herrera, Pogba, Martial, Mata, AWB, Blind. Fred and Dalot are one of the few players to be slow starters that actually ended up becoming somewhat successful.

Players like Antony, Sancho, Dan James, Memphis, VDB, Schneiderlin, Mkhitaryan and the other mountain of flops were pretty much bad from the start and within three months you could tell it wouldn’t go well. So I don’t buy that all players need time. Sometimes it’s obvious a player is either the wrong fit for the team or just not good enough.

I think the first three months tells me all I need to know about a player.

Ugarte vs Twente

59/73 passes completed, 80% accuracy
4 tackles, 2 interceptions

Lost the ball too many times for my liking, I was atleast hoping for a high retention player. Someone with a 90%+ passing accuracy.
He can be that 90%+ passing accuracy guy if he plays his normal game. Seems like he was instructed to/wanted to force it a bit more with his passing which made his accuracy go down.

Great at winning the ball but lost it 17 times which is uncharacteristic of him, he typically shows a simple pass and has a high completion rate, it's either the tactics don't give him the support close enough to him or he's just getting to know his new team mates, I think he will come good just needs a bit of time.
I agree with this. He typically has a very high pass completion rate because he keeps his game simple. I don't think he’s the type to make ambitious, long-range passes across the field—it’s just not his style. I’m not sure if it was something we asked him to do or if it was his own decision, but he seemed to force his passes a bit more than usual.

Will Ugarte get an easier chance to strut his stuff than against fecking Twente? If this limp performance was against Real Madrid, okay. But this was against a minnow, and he still looked shorn of ideas and skill.
No pre season training done , joined Utd at the end of the window and faced an international break to South America immediately . Give the lad a chance

Playing with a new midfield every game isn’t ideal for a new signing.

Bruno/Eriksen didn’t have their best games last night either, so it’s hard to judge him so far.

Good footballer being played out of position. Pressing monster, one of the best in the world, being played as a CDM and the teams press is shit anyway

This may well be the case, but which team would be able to accommodate a player whose sole purpose is to chase the ball around in the opposition half? You’d presumably need another DM behind him? So two of possibly three midfield slots are filled with defensive players?

So say you go for a deep lying playmaker, when the DLP has the ball, the opposition doesn’t need to bother covering Ugarte as he offers almost no threat, which means they can cover everybody else much more thoroughly.

He is a CDM, there’s just very few other ways you can accommodate a player as limited as him. We’ll just have to see over the next few months how he does, and hope it works out.

Every player looks shit under this manager, so I'll give him a pass until Ten Hag is gone.

Probably the most disappointing thing about the goal conceded last night is that Ugarte made a beautiful solid tackle to end the counter attack only for eriksen to give it away immediately.

Exactly what i was hoping for from him, stopping players cruising to edge of box

No pre season training done , joined Utd at the end of the window and faced an international break to South America immediately . Give the lad a chance

You lot do realize that it's okay to call a spade a spade right? Not every player needs a full season to prove they're shit

(I'm not even talking about Ugarte, more speaking in general)

Watching him in the second half was a reminder of why Fergie pretty much hated pure destroyers.

When you are chasing a game or a win and you have a team pinned back in their half, a player like Ugarte can drive you mad because he hasn’t got any creativity about him. He will never get you a goal or an assist and in a goal shy team like ours who swapped him out for Mctominay, it will hurt as at points this season.

6/10 performance because of his poor passing, but is the perfect foil for a more attacking CM like Eriksen. I think his passing will get much better as he acclimatises to the team's tactics and personnel. Yes we've always needed a safe passer of the ball to keep things ticking nicely but right now he's being overly conservative with his passes as if he's still playing for Enrique. When his more difficult passes fail it's quite usually due to a miscommunication or him being doubled on without any support. I don't expect him to do well in the latter scenario.
I'm not getting my hopes up. His passing should look better against the likes of Barnsley and Twente.

I don't expect it to miraculously improve with less time on the ball.

Totally blown out of proportion when it was a collective disaster.

Didn’t think he would play in that type of game, and the one moment we actually needed him he came through only for Eriksen to completely fudge it up.

I'm not getting my hopes up. His passing should look better against the likes of Barnsley and Twente.

I don't expect it to miraculously improve with less time on the ball.
He just needs to keep it simple. Know your limitations - don't be someone you're not. Though it would help if we let him play his natural high intensity pressing game, as opposed to having him merely sit in front of the back four. We need to sign a Carrick type who is more progressive on the ball and is defensively astute enough to allow Ugarte to roam off the ball, make himself a nuisance and pick pocket opponents.

I didn't watch the match last night, but I would say we have to give Ugarte some time, a few games, to find his rhythm at a new club, a club with big expectations, playing for a manager who is difficult to understand (in terms of coaching..), and within a team not really playing well, struggling to find consistency.

Ugarte did his job last night with some small let downs. Players like Eriksen and Bruno were absolutely lost. This guy will be good for us.

Totally blown out of proportion when it was a collective disaster.

Didn’t think he would play in that type of game, and the one moment we actually needed him he came through only for Eriksen to completely fudge it up.
Agree and disagree at the same time.

He is very effective at making sure nothing much happens through the middle. Against a big team coming at us he will be grand and his passing will be fine because there will be oceans of space ahead.

In a game we are bound to dominate and rivals sit deep in a low block you don't want him pulling strings as a pivot but someone else doing that while he presses higher up as a turnover machine keeping the oppo in trouble.

So yeah, there's a role for him in a game like that, but not one where the build up goes through him much at all, as seen quite clearly late in the Palace game. We subbed him on for Eriksen and it all went stale. Fine if you want to play out a draw but surely not what we wanted?

Watching him in the second half was a reminder of why Fergie pretty much hated pure destroyers.

Not saying he would have liked Ugarte (or not) but I don't think that's really accurate. Look at Fletcher, Fergie loved him and he was pure legs + energy.

No doubt this guy will be a success here. He has the mentality, and fills a role we’ve been sorely lacking.

I’d prefer to see him in a 433 type setup, though, but that’s mostly because I can’t stand the 4231 we play.

When you are chasing a game or a win and you have a team pinned back in their half, a player like Ugarte can drive you mad because he hasn’t got any creativity about him. He will never get you a goal or an assist and in a goal shy team like ours who swapped him out for Mctominay, it will hurt as at points this season.

But that isn’t necessary a bad thing, not every player is going to be suited to every scenario.

In the scenario you are describing Ugarte could/should be substituted with a more creative player.

Simples.

Last edited:
Not saying he would have liked Ugarte (or not) but I don't think that's really accurate. Look at Fletcher, Fergie loved him and he was pure legs + energy.
I reckon you are selling him short there.

Yes, he was all that and a massive big game player (with a brace that got us ahead twice in that 4-3 derby :devil:).

Coming through the youth ranks he was "the next Beckham", which he obviously didn't turn out to be, but he was pretty damn good on the ball and can only be deemed a destroyer as a result of playing alongside Carrick/Scholes.

Would walk into our midfield, first name on the teamsheet actually.

So I don’t buy that all players need time. Sometimes it’s obvious a player is either the wrong fit for the team or just not good enough.

I think the first three months tells me all I need to know about a player.
That sort of logic is a little absurd.

There are plenty of players that take a lot longer than three months to bed in. Sometimes their football talks but I'd argue that's much, much rarer. There's a lot to overcome: the language barrier, the culture shock, the pitches and climate, etc. Maybe some particularly driven players adapt a lot more quickly, for whatever reason, but even they you would expect to not get the best out of them until they're truly comfortable.

The closest comparison I have is also Uruguayan Luis Suarez took 2 full -seasons- to start looking like a good player at Liverpool. And nowadays people talk about him - rightly - as being one of the best number 9's of all time. He scored a pretty mediocre 11 goals in his second season.

It will take a full season for our side to gel. Ten Hag won't have that luxury if things go wrong, but either way we won't see the best of Ugarte until next season I think.

Players like Antony, Sancho, Dan James, Memphis, VDB, Schneiderlin, Mkhitaryan and the other mountain of flops were pretty much bad from the start and within three months you could tell it wouldn’t go well. So I don’t buy that all players need time. Sometimes it’s obvious a player is either the wrong fit for the team or just not good enough.
Do you remember Evra and Vidic's first 3 months?

Not even remotely true. Fletcher was technically very strong and an excellent passer.

Or you can just say you don't have the ability to rate footballers so need overwhelming evidence over a long time frame that they are good or bad.

It's alright mate.

Why are you such a rude poster to people for no reason? Interesting take you had on what is seen as our worst ever window, I guess that notorious eye for talent developed in ‘22 onwards.
9/10

Sold James for a good fee (above what he's worth imo) and signed 3 world class players at positions of need. Obviously a 10/10 would have required a midfielder but you can't sit and honestly say the window was less than exceptional. Certainly the best of any team in the world.