Manchester City under Pep Guardiola | Pep on City v Liverpool ref: "He likes to be special"

You need centre backs and central midfielders also
We do, but full-backs are by far the biggest gap we have. If we go out and sign fullbacks, a centre back and a centre midfielder of high calibre then we're a really good side. Plus a keeper. Basically half a team. :lol:

I'd actually like to see us bring in 5 players in those areas between 20-25, our squad would have been transformed entirely from old to young in two seasons and we can finally start to focus on the next generation. We're starting to do it up top, but it needs to run through the entire side because it's holding us back now.

We do, but full-backs are by far the biggest gap we have. If we go out and sign fullbacks, a centre back and a centre midfielder of high calibre then we're a really good side. Plus a keeper. Basically half a team. :lol:

I'd actually like to see us bring in 5 players in those areas between 20-25, our squad would have been transformed entirely from old to young in two seasons and we can finally start to focus on the next generation. We're starting to do it up top, but it needs to run through the entire side because it's holding us back now.

Sure, who is Gael Clichy? The 5th or 6th best French left-back.
When I look at the career of Sagna: he is the luckiest right-back the World has ever seen.

One season and people have written Pep off here? Or just a handful? I don't know. On the same grounds Mourinho is really struggling, given you're behind City in the league.

I think in his first season Pep has injected some energy, pace and youth into the side. It's a learning curve and we can now easily see that there's a group of players in the squad who aren't capable of playing this type of football. I fully expect that to be addressed in summer (most notably two new fullbacks, a new CB, and a new keeper). If we do that we're in great shape as a squad for Pep, and it seems silly to write him off. Maybe next season will prove me wrong.
So exactly the same issues which needed sorting last summer then?

I think City will spend up to €220m in the summer. They'll sell a few players too but I don't think they'll be able to recoup more than €40m-€50m from the sales. They NEED the new signings though. Full backs, CMs, CBs, GK.

Plus good bench players for the CL run fatigue.

So exactly the same issues which needed sorting last summer then?
Pretty much, but this is a Pep's City thread and this is perhaps his most important summer. He's had an entire year with the squad to identify gaps and determined who in the existing squad was able to adapt. It's an equally big summer for Mourinho. If both sides find themselves in similar positions in 12 months time then it's a huge failure.

The list of the last seven Man City managers is crazy

Kevin Keegan
Stuart Pearce
Sven Goran Eriksson
Mark Hughes
Roberto Mancini
Manuel Pellegrini
Pep Guardiola

Just thought I'd bring it up

I honestly like the way they attack. People rave on about Liverpool but they attack in a chaotic, brute force manner. They throw a lot of bodies forward and press really high till something comes off. City are more elegant and have mesmerizing players on their day (especially KDB and Sane). Thank goodness their defence has been a complete joke though.

I think they need to be smart about their transfers next summer. You can't easily integrate 4+ players into your first XI. They take time to gel and you lose ground in the title race before that happens. The big thing imo is Gundogan staying fit because that means they can postpone buying a CM and probably a CB. Their current CBs are overexposed due to the silly combinations they play in midfield. They can buy a new keeper, and two full backs. If none of their attacking players leave, I reckon that's enough to propel them to serious title contenders.

The list of the last seven Man City managers is crazy

Kevin Keegan
Stuart Pearce
Sven Goran Eriksson
Mark Hughes
Roberto Mancini
Manuel Pellegrini
Pep Guardiola

Just thought I'd bring it up
Crazy trajectory really, what next? Pep is the first top bracket manager there really, though our side under Mancini in 11/12 was probably the best to date.

Think that list shows our owners are actually quite pragmatic, and don't run the club in a hire and fire manner. Hughes in charge during the takeover and they gave him a season. Their first pick of Mancini took over, won our first major trophy in forever, won the league, then reportedly lost the dressing room after a poor season, Pellegrini took over, won the league, then was replaced by Guardiola. It's quite a tame path all things considered.

There's no "probably" about it, you haven't come close to that side since.
Well, we came pretty close. The 13/14 side won a league and cup double and did like scoring lots - 102 goals in the league. Higher GD and only 3 points shy in the league. It had a defensive fragility that Mancini never had, but does that matter if you're backing it up at the other end.

Pretty much, but this is a Pep's City thread and this is perhaps his most important summer. He's had an entire year with the squad to identify gaps and determined who in the existing squad was able to adapt. It's an equally big summer for Mourinho. If both sides find themselves in similar positions in 12 months time then it's a huge failure.

Fair assessment.

I think that both Mourinho and Guardiola has had disappointing seasons so far, particularly considering the fact that both spend more around 150m Pounds in the summer so far. It also thus begs the question as to how good they really are if both of them need around 300m Pounds(I'm expecting both of them to spend the same amount in this season too) to turn around the club's fortunes when there are managers who have turned it around with far less of resources.

I honestly like the way they attack. People rave on about Liverpool but they attack in a chaotic, brute force manner. They throw a lot of bodies forward and press really high till something comes off. City are more elegant and have mesmerizing players on their day (especially KDB and Sane). Thank goodness their defence has been a complete joke though.

I think they need to be smart about their transfers next summer. You can't easily integrate 4+ players into your first XI. They take time to gel and you lose ground in the title race before that happens. The big thing imo is Gundogan staying fit because that means they can postpone buying a CM and probably a CB. Their current CBs are overexposed due to the silly combinations they play in midfield. They can buy a new keeper, and two full backs. If none of their attacking players leave, I reckon that's enough to propel them to serious title contenders.
You don't think attacking in this way has something to do with them being vulnerable in defence?

I've watched their game against Liverpool and it's crazy how the score was only 1-1.

Both are good going forward and poor behind. Their midfield are only ball winners and try to search verticality as soon as possible.

I think that Guardiola's team next year will try to do the same, but being better defensively and switch from defense to attack even quicker.

To me he needs at least 3 defenders (two full backs and a CB) and probably two other players (a central midfielder) and a top top forward player.

He relies too much on De Bruyne's passes, Silva's movement and Aguero finishing.

It's true that if you play deep and counter them with a compact block you can hurt them so much.

I really think that we can do something at Etihad if we have our full squad and fresh especially !

Fair assessment.

I think that both Mourinho and Guardiola has had disappointing seasons so far, particularly considering the fact that both spend more around 150m Pounds in the summer so far. It also thus begs the question as to how good they really are if both of them need around 300m Pounds(I'm expecting both of them to spend the same amount in this season too) to turn around the club's fortunes when there are managers who have turned it around with far less of resources.

When you have someone like Guardiola who stands for a very clear idea of football you have to accept him needing to (re-)build the squad according to his ideas or you simply don't hire him.

When you have someone like Guardiola who stands for a very clear idea of football you have to accept him needing to (re-)build the squad according to his ideas or you simply don't hire him.
And so far they'd have been better off not hiring him. Pellegrini would have had more success in his final season, and wouldn't achieve anything less than what Pep has done this year but with less spending. Next season is critical for Guardiola.

And so far they'd have been better off not hiring him. Pellegrini would have had more success in his final season, and wouldn't achieve anything less than what Pep has done this year but with less spending. Next season is critical for Guardiola.

Pelligrini was awful after the first season, he destroyed the way Stirling played and it would have been a disaster if he's stayed no way would we have made top 4 with him in charge.

I personally think city play the best football in the league and every time I watch them it's ridiculously entertaining and as Klopp said last week they play 'real football' which I agree with. As much as people criticise them I like the way they approach games and nobody can deny they're good to watch. Only a fool would write Guardiola off after 9 months in charge but he has got some work to do to sort that defence! New full backs is key to the way pep plays so he obviously needs to make that and centre half his main priority.If he fails to address them areas next season and they are as laughable in that department as they are at the moment then people can start to write him off.

Do you think Pep is gonna give him a chance, at least until january?

I think he might get a chance but alot seem to think his cultic loan is 2 seasons. If he's here he won't play much with the wingers we have ahead of him, even as a sub.

Catch us if you can

That's interesting, as our perception is that we're the only team who have wasted tonnes of points

Bet we've done it to chimpier teams though!

Yep.

Manchester United: Arsenal, Bournemouth, Burnley, Hull City, Liverpool, Stoke City, West Ham United
Manchester City: Everton, Liverpool, Middlesbrough, Southampton, Stoke City, Tottenham Hotspur

City's draws, on the whole are to sides that aren't surprising (Middlesbrough aside). As for us, the Bournemouth, Burnley and Hull ones stand out.

Yep.

Manchester United: Arsenal, Bournemouth, Burnley, Hull City, Liverpool, Stoke City, West Ham United
Manchester City: Everton, Liverpool, Middlesbrough, Southampton, Stoke City, Tottenham Hotspur

City's draws, on the whole are to sides that aren't surprising (Middlesbrough aside). As for us, the Bournemouth, Burnley and Hull ones stand out.

While our draws aren't suprising the fact we've only beaten a single big 6 team so far this season at home certainly is.
Lost to Chelse, drew with Spurs and Liverpool beat Arsenal (and made a struggle of it.)

Its the manner of our collapses that are concerning imho regadless of opposition.

Better side vs Chelsea for an hour and a goal up. Lost and imploded.
Thrashed Spurs as even their fans will admit for 70 minutes, 2-0 up and let it slip.
Didn't turn up for 45 minutes vs Arsenal.
Missed 2 pens vs Everton.
Liverpool, we had our chances as did they but we paniced in defence and spurned our big opportunities to win.
Middlesboro like Uniteds home game we saw chance after chance go begging and than left De Roon in acres to smash in an equaliser.

Its not just missed chances its a mental frailty/fear in our team without Kompany that comes out at the worst moments.

There's no "probably" about it, you haven't come close to that side since.

This 100%, I posted a Mancini squad comparison awhile ago and we were far more balanced squad wise under him, whether it was his doing or Marwood/Cook I don't know.
While I'm reluctant to criticise Tixi etc.. the only area of the pitch we're stronger than under Roberto is attacking midfield/wings and we're still relying on the same fullbacks, Yaya, Silva and Kun. Even more on Kun, defensive and all as Mancini was he had Aguero, Tevez, Dzeko and Balotelli as forwards.

You should try him in the League Cup ;)

I'd hope so. He's kind of getting to that make or break age, if not next seasont than the next. Theres no doubt he'll be a top level footballer but its kind of getting towards the will he break into a top team or end up being a good winger at a mid-level club. While I wouldn't expect him first team next season, if he's not sniffing around the first team and getting regular playing time he'll be moved on.

I hope he sticks around as he excites me on the ball but its a position where we are well stocked. In reality he's older than Jesus, less than a year younger than Sane and only 2 years younger than Sterling. So all the potential might not count for much if he doesn't kick on. Thats 3 players who can play his position who are relatively the same age and all much better atm.

I'm being a bit critical there as I suppose those 3 are seen as 3 of the best u23's in the world in those positions and he is a real talent but I guess that the issues with trying to break into a top Premiership team, its going to be hard but I have hope he'll do it. It might also help his clause as Pep has already said he wants as many english players as possible.

Sounds like there's going to be a lot of comings and going this summer for City, given the level of competition within the league and given Pep will likely have half a team of new players I think it will be difficult for City to win the league next season although I very much doubt Chelsea will repeat this seasons form and the same goes for Liverpool as both clubs will have European football and Spurs have no chance of repeating this seasons brilliant home form at Wembley whilst nothing will change at Arsenal with Wenger still in charge.

I'd hope so. He's kind of getting to that make or break age, if not next seasont than the next. Theres no doubt he'll be a top level footballer but its kind of getting towards the will he break into a top team or end up being a good winger at a mid-level club. While I wouldn't expect him first team next season, if he's not sniffing around the first team and getting regular playing time he'll be moved on.

I hope he sticks around as he excites me on the ball but its a position where we are well stocked. In reality he's older than Jesus, less than a year younger than Sane and only 2 years younger than Sterling. So all the potential might not count for much if he doesn't kick on. Thats 3 players who can play his position who are relatively the same age and all much better atm.

I'm being a bit critical there as I suppose those 3 are seen as 3 of the best u23's in the world in those positions and he is a real talent but I guess that the issues with trying to break into a top Premiership team, its going to be hard but I have hope he'll do it. It might also help his clause as Pep has already said he wants as many english players as possible.
I don't know him well, just read great things about him. That's the reason why i'd like to see him in action.

Yep.

Stoke as well. From Ibra missing a great chance in the first minute, to missing sh!Tloads of other chances, actually getting ahead, and still conspiring to let them score. I was shocked for the drive home.

Stoke as well. From Ibra missing a great chance in the first minute, to missing sh!Tloads of other chances, actually getting ahead, and still conspiring to let them score. I was shocked for the drive home.
Yeah, that was during the period where Stoke weren't doing that well in the league as well.

Yeah, that was during the period where Stoke weren't doing that well in the league as well.

I think they were bottom weren't they? It was one of those rare 12 kick offs meaning we had 2 games after us to stew through

I've watched their game against Liverpool and it's crazy how the score was only 1-1.

Both are good going forward and poor behind. Their midfield are only ball winners and try to search verticality as soon as possible.

I think that Guardiola's team next year will try to do the same, but being better defensively and switch from defense to attack even quicker.

To me he needs at least 3 defenders (two full backs and a CB) and probably two other players (a central midfielder) and a top top forward player

He relies too much on De Bruyne's passes, Silva's movement and Aguero finishing.

It's true that if you play deep and counter them with a compact block you can hurt them so much.

I really think that we can do something at Etihad if we have our full squad and fresh especially !
And a keeper. So basically a whole new team bar wingers.

The big thing imo is Gundogan staying fit because that means they can postpone buying a CM and probably a CB.

How so? Surely they won't be able to tell if Gundogan is going to stay fit for the season in only july and august, so they won't be able to postpone anything based on that.

How so? Surely they won't be able to tell if Gundogan is going to stay fit for the season in only july and august, so they won't be able to postpone anything based on that.

Phrased it badly lol. I meant if they got two full backs and a keeper, that would be enough to make them title challengers without having to buy a CM provided Gundogan can stay fit.

It is obviously a gamble and one they might not want to take but I feel like it will be difficult for them to buy all the players they might need (one CB, one CM, one GK, two full backs) in one window. Especially with Guardiola's very specific profiles of the players he wants.

They are linked with Benfica keeper Ederson for £30m. Better out there for that cash, of which i am certain Jan Oblak for one.

What I love is their fans say if Pep rates him, thats good enough for me. Yeh... coz he rated Bravo highly too and doesn't rate Joe Hart. Lol

Our muppet signings this summer will literally be full-backs. Given how incapable our current lot are, and how important full-backs are to the way Pep plays if they aren't two of our biggest signings this summer I'd be amazed. It's been long overdue.
I was amazed when Pep didn't sign fullbacks last season. Given how poor your current lot are and how important FBs are to Pep's style of play, it was astonishing he didn't address it.

They are linked with Benfica keeper Ederson for £30m. Better out there for that cash, of which i am certain Jan Oblak for one.

What I love is their fans say if Pep rates him, thats good enough for me. Yeh... coz he rated Bravo highly too and doesn't rate Joe Hart. Lol

Do you think Joe Hart's shown he should be playing for a CL club this season?

Joe Hart is as shit as Bravo, maybe even more comical. Both of them wouldnt be good enough to start for City next season based on their form this season.

I would try to sign Kasper Schmeichel. This Bravo guy is overrated. So is Joe Hart.

Did this Bravo guy not used to play for Real Madrid? I think I remember slagging off his consistent poor goalkeeping during a CL match.

With Kasper Schmeichel you'll get less blunders.

Two of the best goalies in the PL... David de Gea & Kasper Schmeichel. Now a big club like City should be able to lure Kasper Schmeichel

Last edited:
I would try to sign Kasper Schmeichel. This Bravo guy is overrated. So is Joe Hart.

Did this Bravo guy not used to play for Real Madrid? I think I remember slagging off his consistent poor goalkeeping during a CL match.

With Kasper Schmeichel you'll get less blunders.

Two of the best goalies in the PL... David de Gea & Kasper Schmeichel. Now a big club like City should be able to lure Kasper Schmeichel

Should never have let Kasper go for hart in the first place.