Manchester City under Pep Guardiola | Pep on City v Liverpool ref: "He likes to be special"

I am curious however what is going on with Nolito, strange he has been barely used in the last few months. Makes me Wonder if there isn't something else going on that we're not privy to - surprised Pep hasn't been asked this question more

:lol: That is just insane. He had nothing to do with it.

According to the members in the Kult of Pep anything good that ever happened is down to the revolutionary man. Good thing he wasn't born when penicillin was found since they would undoubtedly credit him with that as well.

This FCBarca guy is something else though. I wouldn't be the least surprised to find that he actually has a shrine built for Pep at home.

:lol: That is just insane. He had nothing to do with it.

What? Portugal winning Euro 2016 is also because of Pep, same with Chile winning Copa America.

I'm sure somewhere in his bedroom he has scribbled "Thanks to Pep Leicester won the PL title".

According to the members in the Kult of Pep anything good that ever happened is down to the revolutionary man. Good thing he wasn't born when penicillin was found since they would undoubtedly credit him with that as well.

This FCBarca guy is something else though. I wouldn't be the least surprised to find that he actually has a shrine built for Pep at home.
These Pep fanboys probably think Chygrynskiy was a good signing.

@FCBarca is deranged when it comes to Pep. He admitted that if he was a religious person, his religion would be 'Pepism'.

Hard to take anything he says about the guy without a pinch of salt.

They'll be singing a different tune soon enough, the agenda has long been clear - him choosing City over United only reinforces it. Sounds very upbeat about the project but a lot of changes are a coming
A lot of changes have already happened. He booted out their goalkeeper and then spent more money in the summer transfer window than anyone else. When he brings in yet more changes, he won't have very much time to implement them because he'll probably be at City for another 2 years.

I think he's a very good coach who is guilty of a combination of overcomplicating things and being too stubborn by sticking to his methods. He's not the only young coach who has this problem though. It's interesting that coaches from a previous generation like Fergie were actually more adaptable and changeable in how they approached coaching/ tactics/ working methods. Kinda why Fergie is probably the best coach of all time.

I'm not sure Guardiola knows how to organise the last line of defence. Don't think he's ever known this to be fair. His approach to defending is to suffocate the opposition of the ball or to outscore them. In terms of pure defending, he hasn't much of a clue. Sort of gotten away with it in previous jobs though. Not finding it so easy in the PL where the competition is more intense.

In terms of his bringing a revolution to English football...meh I don't see it. I think Wenger and Mourinho have revolutionised English football in earlier stints in the PL. I'm not sure what Pep is gonna do to change the way other teams play football here, albeit he may end up being very successful.

If he did turn down United, thank God he did! I don't want another manager living out his fantasy football experiments on the pitch or buying crocks. I'm absolutely delighted we got Jose instead of Pep. So far, obviously! ;)

What? Portugal winning Euro 2016 is also because of Pep, same with Chile winning Copa America.

I'm sure somewhere in his bedroom he has scribbled "Thanks to Pep Leicester won the PL title".

Nope Chile was down to captain marvel aka The blue hologram claudio bravo

This. He comes across as one of those characters you can never really take to, he's slightly unsettling and difficult to be around, simply because you don't know quite how to act with him. He's like one of those people you meet who you can never really tell if what they've said is a joke or if they're being deadly serious, which just makes it uncomfortable.

Nailed it. :lol:

Harmless you say?

klopp.gif

Wonder if the the 4th official just liked his passion here too.

Not to be fully off topic:
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...y-pep-guardiola-liverpool-draw-premier-league

I love how they always try to play out from the back without having the players to do it. If you want to beat them just press them here.

I am sick and tired of reading and hearing how people still label Guardiola's way of playing as ''possesion based football'' or tiki-taka.. I am sorry guys but thats all load of bollocks. Pep's philosophy (wich i believe will really change the way the game is played in England too) is the Positional Play.. Possession of the ball is just a CONSEQUENCE, not the main principle of this football ideology.. Pep's ideas already changed german football - Loew used a lot of them during WC 2014 and won the damn thing..2 of the hottest coaches there (Thomas Tuchel and Julian Nagelsmann) are using positional play as well.. Here is this great analysis of Juego De Posicion..I hope it will help you all to understand what is actually Guardiola trying to do at City:

http://spielverlagerung.com/2014/12/25/juego-de-posicion-under-pep-guardiola/

I am sick and tired of reading and hearing how people still label Guardiola's way of playing as ''possesion based football'' or tiki-taka.. I am sorry guys but thats all load of bollocks. Pep's philosophy (wich i believe will really change the way the game is played in England too) is the Positional Play.. Possession of the ball is just a CONSEQUENCE, not the main principle of this football ideology.. Pep's ideas already changed german football - Loew used a lot of them during WC 2014 and won the damn thing..2 of the hottest coaches there (Thomas Tuchel and Julian Nagelsmann) are using positional play as well.. Here is this great analysis of Juego De Posicion..I hope it will help you all to understand what is actually Guardiola trying to do at City:

http://spielverlagerung.com/2014/12/25/juego-de-posicion-under-pep-guardiola/

Here's another one claiming Pep had a hand in the WC win, and his user name is PepG... you couldn't make it up.

Here's another one claiming Pep had a hand in the WC win, and his user name is PepG... you couldn't make it up.
Hm, I have no idea if he's right or not. But do you know anything about the tactical foundations of Löw's side in recent years and what inspiration he drew upon? If not, there's no reason to ridicule that user.

You can send your WC thank yous to Pep at City's training ground

Are you actually serious? Jesus christ.

Anybody, thankfully he's fallen far short of expectations so far, City fans can delude themselves about the "Guardiola revolution" but the reality is that even after spending a large amount of money, they haven't been that impressive at all. Same with United and Mourinho, I suppose but then I don't see the constant praise to Mourinho from the media.

Hm, I have no idea if he's right or not. But do you know anything about the tactical foundations of Löw's side in recent years and what inspiration he drew upon? If not, there's no reason to ridicule that user.

I know that the same Joachim Löw took pretty much the exact same side to the semi finals of the Euros just 2 years earlier and that the side peaked 2 years later.*

Giving Pep credit for that is beyond ridiculous. Josef Heynckes in that case would be much more deserved of credit.

*a bunch of them had just won the treble 1 year earlier as they entered that peak, annihilating Pep's old Barcelona side along the way to doing so. And this, before Pep came anywhere near Germany.

Last edited:
This is great news..for Utd fans everywhere:) Sadly though there's no chance Pep will be with you 5 years, as i think he could do some pretty serious damage to the club in that time span. He only managed relatively short stints at clubs where he had world class squads & little competition.

He has achieved none of his targets for this season. You say he will stay at the club until he get's things right, what are you basing this on. He had the opportunity to extend at Bayern & finish the job he was brought in to do. Instead he put the feelers out for a better offer & scarpered.

I would be extremely happy if Mansour gives Pep all the power he wants, especially full control over transfers.

I hope what you say is true. Sadly though i think everything you stated will fail to materialize. The more likely scenario is that you don't win the PL &/or CL by his third year in charge & he fecks off to PSG to rebuild his image.

We'll see. I'll be bookmarking this post for future reference - we can both revisit this at an appropriate time in the future and see who was closest in their prediction.

I love how they always try to play out from the back without having the players to do it. If you want to beat them just press them here.

If fairness no one presses harder than Liverpool and they only created a couple of opportunities from it yesterday. Its easier said than done.

We'll see. I'll be bookmarking this post for future reference - we can both revisit this at an appropriate time in the future and see who was closest in their prediction.

You really shouldn't bite to Namco's fishing. He posts more about City than United, think he's a closet City fan.

Every post since February if you search his name.

Last edited:
Positional play is way older than Pep's coaching anyway, so I don't see how Pep gets the credit for any manager following that.

Meh, it's incredibly easy to revolutionise British football - just bring a bucket of pasta to training and you'll be hailed as a genius for decades. After you've been burnt for being a witch, of course.

If anything, it's Bielsa who should be credited for the paternity of most of Pep's philosophy (and many other modern coaches), he's probably the most influential tactician of the past 20-30 years.

"Grundsätzlich habe ich vor einigen Jahren gerne nach Spanien geschaut, etwa zum FC Barcelona. Mittlerweile ist auch Bayern München eine Mannschaft, die Maßstäbe setzt. ..."

"Generally I looked towards Spain a couple of years ago, such as FC Barcelona. By now Bayern is a team that sets benchmarks, too. "

Löw when asked about which teams and coaches inspired him (in 2016).

You really shouldn't bite to Namco's fishing. He posts more about City than United, think he's a closet City fan.

Every post since February if you search his name.

Oh, I know mate. And I think I said something similar to you about him the other week! But as his post wasn't quite up to his usual wumming standards, I thought it was only fair to respond in a semi-sensible manner ;)

Pep, the Wigless Wenger. He'll get bored with the dog's dinner that is the staple diet of PL football, and will bugger off within five years.

Exactly you can't give Pep credit for anything other than his own wins doing so is like Treble winning saying Jose is the reason Chelsea are winning the league this season. Each manager lives or dies by their own success. Maybe I should give Stuart Pearce credit for City winning the league under Mancini.

Pep though is a top manager of which there are many. One of the best in the game. I like the way his teams play and that is the only reason i prefer him to Jose who I find a bit negative in big games.

He is not though some football super god nor is any other manager. He's a top manager with his own opinions and insights into the game and his own faults. He's said himself expectations on him are higher because he was lucky to work with the players he's had and people still call him arrogant which I don't understand.
He's said himself he bases his philosophy on that of Cryuff and Bielsa and people say he acts like he re-invented football.

I know that the same Joachim Löw took pretty much the exact same side to the semi finals of the Euros just 2 years earlier and that the side peaked 2 years later.*

Giving Pep credit for that is beyond ridiculous. Josef Heynckes in that case would be much more deserved of credit.

*a bunch of them had just won the treble 1 year earlier as they entered that peak, annihilating Pep's old Barcelona side along the way to doing so. And this, before Pep came anywhere near Germany.
That didn't answer the question at all. As I said, I can't tell myself (but playing Lahm in midfield at least suggests some influence), but I'm pretty sure you can't either.
If anything, it's Bielsa who should be credited for the paternity of most of Pep's philosophy (and many other modern coaches), he's probably the most influential tactician of the past 20-30 years.
Which is what Guardiola says too, as far as I know. When we go back 30 years, he'd probably include Cruyff.

:lol: :lol: I often burst into laughter reading posts of football Einsteins we have on this forum who swear by Pep and his philosophy. Revolutionize football in England lol.

"Grundsätzlich habe ich vor einigen Jahren gerne nach Spanien geschaut, etwa zum FC Barcelona. Mittlerweile ist auch Bayern München eine Mannschaft, die Maßstäbe setzt. ..."

"Generally I looked towards Spain a couple of years ago, such as FC Barcelona. By now Bayern is a team that sets benchmarks, too. "

Löw when asked about which teams and coaches inspired him (in 2016).
Do you see the irony in this quote? 2016 I don't know when this was quoted, but let's break it down: Pep left Spain in 2013. 2 years ago would be Luiz Enrique Barcelona which needed to tweak away from Pep's Barcelona since they couldn't sustain his philosophy with Xavi & Iniesta decline, by going more direct, quicker transition to supply the front line. More direct was always what German & English wanted. Then Pep was trying to tweak Bayern toward Luiz Henrique's way this past year to be more direct. If anything, it's more tribute to Luiz Enrique move away from the purism of Pep's system. Also, since Ancelotti took over, he has been turning Bayern more direct.

On a side note, it would've been great to see Bielsa manage in the Premier League at some point.