Manchester Arena Bombing 22.05.17

I don't find radicalization particularly bizarre. We have a long history of ideological loons committing acts of extraordinary evil believing they were in the right to do so, whether commanded by a fuhrer of some kind or a God.

I could really live without seeing another "Pray for Manchester" image. Such a stupid and inappropriate sentiment.

This report of a women acting nervous and fidgeting with her bag on her own, sounds far to suspicious to me.

I hope they find her from CCTV, she could very well have been planning on bombing the other end of the arena.

fecking BBC associating the election campaign to this tragedy!!

feck the election, people have lost their fecking kids!!

Yeah but I could easily post verses which contradict every single line in that from the same book. The world would be a better place without religion. Fact.

Not a fact at all. It has been shown throughout human history that people will use their greed for whatever they want to achieve. Nothing to do with religion. You forget all the great things religion teaches and the great things religious people have achieved.

Have the UK/US armies killed exponentially more children in the middle east because of religion?

Having been in Manchester since 5am this morning I'm totally overwhelmed with the kindness we have received from everyone.

Manchester is a beautiful multicultural city and attrocities such as this don't divide us they simply bring us closer. We are resilient, we are tough and we stand together side by side in the face of the even the most heartbreaking and mindless of circumstances.

We love MCR.
You guys were everywhere today. Thanks.

Just turned on LBC to hear the vigil being criticised, specifically the use of a poem which the presenter thought inappropriate?

Last edited:
Islam is "us vs them".

Red Khafir.

No one's told the 70 year old guy who was helping the mums & the prams get on & off our bus the other week. Dressed in all the Muslim garb - while his mate took the piss out of him for doing it, btw.

He finished off by saying, ''it isn't easy going around dressed like this y'know'' - and most people laughed, with a bit of 'cringe' thrown in perhaps.

We have a small but quite visible Muslim community - a high % of their women look a bit nervous when they are out & about and I've seen a couple of instances of that pass-agg shite where people say stuff that they know can be overheard.

Which one of the two, do you you think is the better way of doing it?

You just know that Trump, May etc will use this attack as a justification for some of their policies.

Why is it inappropriate? It's fine in its intention.
In its overtly religious connotations. There must be a more thoughtful way of expressing sympathy and solidarity. Perhaps just simply using those words instead of one charged with history and symbolism like "pray".

The saddest thing about this incident is that since it was an Ariana Grande, most of the people attending were young girls and their parents who were accompanying them. Majority of the audience would have been under 27. Tragic incident.

I love, love, love Manchester. Incredible city with a great history and culture. Amazing music with Oasis, The Stone Roses, Joy Division. So many great bands and musicians. Great sporting culture and history. Manchester has produced world class athletes and sportspeople.

Stay strong, you beautiful city.

You need to replace 'many muslims aren't violent' with 'over 99% of muslims aren't violent' and then you realise just how silly the argument is.

What percent have sympathy with ISIS and Al Queda? What percent condemn violence against cartoonists of Muhammed? What percent condemn Salman Rushdie's death sentence? It's all greater than 1%:

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/...ary-reveals-what-british-muslims-really-think

There's clearly a problem here, maybe the solution is in schools, which would need funding, so that won't happen under the Tories.

There can be found justification in the bible for rape, genital mutilation, genocide and slavery and God condoned all of them. So I don't really see the point that you're making. You find it in every religious book there is.

I don't agree with that and anyway it's sort of redundant by the fact Christinianty is largely replaced by atheism but yes in the past Christianity could be an oppressive tool that Islam is today. The remaining Christians in our soceity generally don't have violent preachers anymore, Islam does.

That issue is to do with the opinions of society and what they considered acceptable around the world 3,000+ years ago when these passages were written, not with one particular faith today.

The problem is though the barbaric actions that were considered acceptable in Arab society 1400 years ago is considered the 'ideal man' Islamically today.

Someone I know was keen to tell me the bomber was the son of asylum seekers. People and their agendas.

Woke up to the news this morning and my heart has been breaking all day.

I know two people who were at the concert who thankfully were unharmed and are fine.

Despite my location, which I haven't been arsed to change, I'm no longer in Manchester. I'm not far away though, and it still plays a huge part in my life. My brother lives there, most of my friends live there.

I love the place; the people, the bars, the architecture, just love it. When something like this happens and it strikes at a place you know so well and love so much, it is hard to digest.

Manchester and its people are hard as feck though. They never forget their fallen or hurt but they will move on and thrive.

And to those who lost their lives, to those who are hurt and to their families and friends, my thoughts and prayers are with them all.

As for those in the emergency service and everyone who has helped in whatever way they could, great or small, they are all absolute heroes.

Woke up to the news this morning and my heart has been breaking all day.

I know two people who were at the concert who thankfully were unharmed and are fine.

Despite my location, which I haven't been arsed to change, I'm no longer in Manchester. I'm not far away though, and it still plays a huge part in my life. My brother lives there, most of my friends live there.

I love the place; the people, the bars, the architecture, just love it. When something like this happens and it strikes at a place you know so well and love so much, it is hard to digest.

Manchester and its people are hard as feck though. They never forget their fallen or hurt but they will move on and thrive.

And to those who lost their lives, to those who are hurt and to their families and friends, my thoughts and prayers are with them all.

As for those in the emergency service and everyone who has helped in whatever way they could, great or small, they are all absolute heroes.

Great post mate.

In its overtly religious connotations. There must be a more thoughtful way of expressing sympathy and solidarity. Perhaps just simply using those words instead of one charged with history and symbolism like "pray".

Does it matter? They're expressing solidarity in what they see as the best way possible. If a Christian thinks it'll help to pray for them, I don't see the issue. Doesn't harm anyone.

Someone I know was keen to tell me the bomber was the son of asylum seekers. People and their agendas.

Was he lying?

No, he wasn't.

The most disappointing thing about the vast majority of these attacks across the world is most the people involved have been welcomed into the countries they attack against.

I think people have a right to be a little bit pissed off about it in fairness.

I have a friend who was at the concert. She's safe. Was leaving the Arena when the blasts occurred. She's terribly shaken. Just wanted to enjoy a show and the evening with her friends. My heart is breaking.

The police and emergency services personnel are heroes.

And then IS will use these polices as justification for more attacks. It's just a vicious cycle that I don't know how we get out of.

This is the sad reality here. Children on both sides will lose their parents to bomb attacks (suicide or otherwise), and these same children will grow up hating the other "side."

I despair at the state of the world sometimes.

Just watching sky news and they reeled off name after name after name of people still unaccounted for, still missing in the aftermath of this tragedy.

Where are they? :(

I think you're missing the point of the terrorists winning if this is what happens. The terrorists want us to live in a police state where our freedom is minimised.

Also, no amount of access to accounts could stop an atrocity like yesterday as they would just use different means of communicating.

Winning? What is this then. We're just stood around whilst they're blowing us up. If this is us winning then we are well and truly fecked because this is never going to end and there will be events that make this look tame.

Finally worked myself up to be able to post something, because I've been following this thread and updates all day but words have failed me on every occasion thus far. There's probably not much to be said that hasn't already, but honestly all I can say is how heartbreaking what happened is. To think that an 8 year old has lost her life at a place where she went to have fun has really sunk my heart. It's very worrying too, because what legitimate target would a concert like that be for a statement? It's just an act of pure evil and hatred unto innocent victims.

All emergency staff who have worked tirelessly, and the public who stood up for Manchester are absolute heroes, a reminder that humanity is still going strong. These mindless savages won't get away with it and will pay for their crimes, because history has proven that good always triumphs over evil. Carrying on as we were, but never forgetting the beloved lost ones is the best way to give the finger to our would be enemies. I don't even feel anger, just pity at what these people become in order to commit such an atrocity.

Its tricky. 99.99% of people who visit mosques have nothing to hide with regards to terrorism and you are replying on the authorities having sufficient cultural insight nor to make mistakes of false allegations and arrests.

On one level I think it's a good idea but then again it's discriminatory and a implies that the British practice of Islam is at fault, which it is not. The crimes of a handful of people should not be borne by 99.99% of people who disagree with those actions.

99.99% don't disagree with those actions. Statistically 4% sympathise with political terrorism and suicide bombings while 32% don't condemn terrorism against those who 'moch the prophet'

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/...ary-reveals-what-british-muslims-really-think

As for it being discriminatory though, so what? All profiled crimes are discriminatory in nature.

As for mosque survellience, outside of Wahabbi mosques it'd be largely pointless unless they bugged all areas of the mosque and even then picking up leads wouldn't be likely. The police wouldn't have the manpower to analyse it either.

Yep but we never heard the phrase 'Christian Terrorist' for the IRA. Similarly if a gay man is guilty of s crime we are iften told about his sexuality, but never even he is straight. It's subtle but real us and them.

With the IRA, the Catholic v Protestant presentation was always around. Stronger than the unionist v republican labels most of the time. So perhaps not "Christian terrorists", but that was because people felt the need to distinguish between the strands.

Today has been the worst day I've experienced since my mother passed away.

I've been waiting 6 years for tomorrow's match and been excited about it for ages. But as things stand, I don't think I'll have any emotional reaction to it at all: win, lose or draw.

Yesterday was an attack on my home and it just feels really personal.

It's repetitive as hell. Still think these are discussions worth having. If we don't try to understand what the underlying issues are then nothing will ever change.

I think most of these discussions boil down to a very heated argument currently taking place in France between two scholars of Islamism, Gilles Kepel and Olivier Roy. Kepel claims that the problem is the radicalization of Islam - i.e. the problem is a growing trend within Islam as it currently stands - whereas Roy argues that it is the Islamization of radicalism - i.e. the phenomenon whereby disgruntled individuals filter their destructive tendencies through Islam. I think most of the repetitive discussions on the Cafe that inevitably follow a terror attack go down this road.

I dunno. As the suicide figures show, a lot of young men are willing to kill themselves anyway in Western countries. I'd imagine the radicalisation is about channeling those impulses in a certain direction rather than engendering them from scratch.

That's a good point. Sometimes the self-destructive streak was apparent prior to radicalisation in the form of drugs, mental health issues or criminal behaviour etc.

Other times, from the outside, it's more of a shock. Especially with seemingly successful young men, sometimes well educated and with families of their own, who for whatever reason get drawn towards violence. But the same gets said of other kinds of suicide and violence - how often do you hear those "he seemed ok" words after the event.

Such a crying shame about what has happened last night.
My thoughts are with people of Manchester and all other poor souls that were brutally dragged into this bloody affair. I wish all directly affected ones as speedy recovery as possible.
ISIS is a cancer and just like with disease the timespan of its prosperity is limited. Their days are numbered and one day in the not so distant future they'll fall defeated, cause it is their destiny.

Winning? What is this then. We're just stood around whilst they're blowing us up. If this is us winning then we are well and truly fecked because this is never going to end and there will be events that make this look tame.

I'd rather be in our shoes than theirs personally.