Luke Shaw image 23

Luke Shaw England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

He's not fit to lace Irwin's boots. (pun intended)
On the rare occasion that he's at his best, Shaw is right up there. Unfortunately he's the exact opposite of Irwin in terms of reliability and consistency. That 'at his best' only happened for one season, and then a second season that he was close to that level again. The rest of the time he's been nothing better than 'good' and regularly been average to downright bad.

Looked really good during his brief stint at left sided CB. Appreciate he was on the end of a horror tackle but the contrast in his availability to Bruno and Dalot is striking.

When he returns, the manager needs to be quizzed thoroughly as to why the recovery took so much time and why it was appropriate for him to play/train at the Euros. Fergie would either have blocked Shaw from going or transfer listed him straight away. Pep and Arteta are equally ruthless when they need to be. United are still overly sentimental.

Does a bit silly to bemoan our lack of left backs when Martinez has just had a great game there.

When is Shaws deal up?

On the rare occasion that he's at his best, Shaw is right up there. Unfortunately he's the exact opposite of Irwin in terms of reliability and consistency. That 'at his best' only happened for one season, and then a second season that he was close to that level again. The rest of the time he's been nothing better than 'good' and regularly been average to downright bad.
Even at his best you could always get the odd catastrophe- his performance in the 7-0 defeat to Liverpool was shocking, and he was very good that season. Evra and Irwin occasionally had some bad games but never at that level, not that I recall anyway.

I don't think Shaw has done anything that should cause a United fan to genuinely dislike him. When he has been fit he has always put in a shift. He is injury prone and should have been moved on sooner but that is a management/ownership issue in trying to move on these injury prone players. However, I don't think he's done anything to warrant a personal dislike from united fans.
When was he fit? He has been injured or overweight for years. Just don't think he is a grafter or a hard worker. He has been carrying a winter reserve for years. All the talent but sorry just don't see him as a hard working tough character he just strikes me as a bit lazy. Might be wrong but I've had enough of him now for years.

What on earth is wrong with him to be out this long?

I thought he was only supposed to miss the first month of the season?

He’s waiting for the next international break to make himself available for England.

I would happily transfer list him and get someone who can actually be available for most games and prioritises club over country. He’s 30 next year too so hardly like we’re chucking away a young prospect now.

Last edited:
He was one of my favourite United players, top class when fit & available. However he was beginning to run on thin ice with his very poor injury record…. But what has happened so far in 2024 is grossly unprofessional IMO, irresponsibly putting a couple of games with England over 8 months and counting for his club, a club that has backed him to the hill over the years through all those injuries. The sooner he's gone, the better. And as for the medical staff that were involved, they should also be shown the exit door asap.

You can see we desperately need a top class left back in the team to provide some balance in our build up play. The fact that him and his obvious replacement are both crocks, just rubs salt in the wound.