Luke Shaw image 23

Luke Shaw England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

If this season his injury record ( for any kind of injury) doesn’t improve, then we should move him on.

If this season his injury record ( for any kind of injury) doesn’t improve, then we should move him on.
We didn't sign him a season or two back. We know everything about him. His abilities and injuries and everything.
We are way past "make or break" season watch.

Very overrated by a lot of our fans. Apart from 6 months in 22/23 season where I felt he'd turned a corner he has never done it consistently, his form even dipped at the end of that season.

I doubt they have that kind of backbone. It is a world of PR teams, media sports journos/influencers. And needless to say the media loves a crisis at United story that gives them views.
Well wouldnt they then make tough decisions to make media wrong.

Nobody will ever take him off of us…..he is made of glass and everyone knows it.

Such a shame as when fit, absolutely top draw. Until the next week when out injured again.

We didn't sign him a season or two back. We know everything about him. His abilities and injuries and everything.
We are way past "make or break" season watch.
But this the first season we have competent management. For his ability, he should be given one chance this season. His fitness and his willingness to keep his body in shape, should be monitored throughout the season.

And probably start seeing who can be long term replacement

But this the first season we have competent management. For his ability, he should be given one chance this season. His fitness and his willingness to keep his body in shape, should be monitored throughout the season.

And probably start seeing who can be long term replacement
Well jury is still out on competence of new management they have just extended contract of a player who was already on long contract and was abysmal for better part of last season .
I would hold on plaudits for the time being .

Luke looks swollen on the that picture with the 3rd kit. Definitely not taking care of himself. So sad with that much talent to not continuously be in better shape. All that extra weight leads to injuries like he is getting.

When the team plays well, he raises the team profile and sticks out with his great play.

But when the team needs to be lifted and is on the back foot, he is one of the worst players, doesn't show up.

Being a senior player, be lacks the charisma, or drive to lift the team up.

We need an Evra type of a player who can stand up to being run ragged. He could have been one of the great United players but falls short due to his injuries and lack of leadership.

Showed his talent and was on the up prior to that injury and still great when on song but not the type United need.

Mainoo, Garnacho being young players show confidence and the attitude and fight when the team is on the back foot, even if they make mistakes,which Shaw lacks in my opinion.

Is he never going to get fit ever?

Luke Shaw is on 150k a week. Assuming Shaw wants to leave (I doubt that he will) then any club who is crazy anyone to bid for him would want to see him play at least 1 full season. We know that that's never going to happen. So we're stuck with him till 2027. Don't worry though. I can see Shaw's resurgence at around 2026 though it will be not enough for us to find a buyer for him. It would be close to his contract expiry + he needs to play with England. We'll be crazy if we offer him a contract extension at that point

I'm shocked that people are saying give him one more year or want to keep going with putting sticking plasters over the problem with the likes of Regulon and keep saying we have loads of LB we are good.. Did people not watch last year? Did people not watch the last 9 years?

There was a stat that Shaw has been missing for 60 percent of games since he got here. And thats 9 years ago. Yes he had a broken leg etc but basically we have spent years and years with a fkd up LB position. When will it ever end! We have this discussion every year.
Just stop the madness. Shaw needs to go and Malacia. They are done. Cooked. Shaw should be number 2 at best if we cant get rid. LB is as important as CB and midfield for us. It needs to be fixed. I cant go another season with cobbling together a LB. We already put Martinez as LB in the community shield. Fk knows what we will do against Fulham etc. Sure Mazraoui/Dalot can play there but Dalot does a job at LB at best. 5/10, no more. He doesn't exactly kill it does he and I expect the same from Mazraoui because he is not a LB. And if one of them gets injured then what?

I'm shocked that people are saying give him one more year or want to keep going with putting sticking plasters over the problem with the likes of Regulon and keep saying we have loads of LB we are good.. Did people not watch last year? Did people not watch the last 9 years?

There was a stat that Shaw has been missing for 60 percent of games since he got here. And thats 9 years ago. Yes he had a broken leg etc but basically we have spent years and years with a fkd up LB position. When will it ever end! We have this discussion every year.
Just stop the madness. Shaw needs to go and Malacia. They are done. Cooked. Shaw should be number 2 at best if we cant get rid. LB is as important as CB and midfield for us. It needs to be fixed. I cant go another season with cobbling together a LB. We already put Martinez as LB in the community shield. Fk knows what we will do against Fulham etc. Sure Mazraoui/Dalot can play there but Dalot does a job at LB at best. 5/10, no more. He doesn't exactly kill it does he and I expect the same from Mazraoui because he is not a LB. And if one of them gets injured then what?

I was never that impressed with Shaw. Yes he had some good games but he was hardly an Evra/Irwin either let alone a Maldini. There was always questions about his attitude (weight issues etc) and that's on top of his injury record. The 'I am going to the EUROs despite always being unavailable for my employers' only sealed what was, for me, pretty obvious ie Shaw shouldn't be at United.

The problem though is that we're running on a tight budget. That means that we have to sell before we buy. That's a bit of a problem because we seem littered with deadwood on huge salaries that simply do not want to leave. I've said it in a previous post that whenever one of these guys leave (Martial, Shaw, Sancho etc) it brings me as much joy as when we win the title and I mean it. Therefore yes we need a LB (as much as we need a DM) but I can see a scenario were we won't get a LB. Quite frankly I'd like to see United dig deep into their pockets to bring one. As you said neither Shaw nor Malacia are anywhere near to reliable.

The fact he went to the euros when he clearly wasn’t fit and hadn’t played for so long is actually scandalous.

It says everything about his priorities and it’s not man united. He’s been a main stay in our darkest footballing period in a long time, been around for all of the toxicity.. for me, we need to move on from him. His injuries and wages say that won’t be happening though. I reckon he’ll stick around on his juicy contract and move on after/retire.

The fact he went to the euros when he clearly wasn’t fit and hadn’t played for so long is actually scandalous.

It says everything about his priorities and it’s not man united. He’s been a main stay in our darkest footballing period in a long time, been around for all of the toxicity.. for me, we need to move on from him. His injuries and wages say that won’t be happening though. I reckon he’ll stick around on his juicy contract and move on after/retire.

Completely agree with this post.

I actually hadn't got a clue how many injuries he's had since joining or how many games he's missed so I searched online and Transfermarkt has the rundown and it does not make for good reading.

23 separate injures and 264 games missed! Now obviously I can't guarantee that's all 100% accurate but it definitely gives an idea of how injury prone he is and how ridiculous it was to give him a new contract last year.

He won't be going anywhere till his contract is up so we're stuck with each other.

Others have made the point, but I'll restate the obvious. Shaw is under contract through 2027 and no club will be in for him. When he returns to fitness he's our best LB but if Mazroui -- if Maz is played at LB -- puts in fantastic performances then Shaw will have to earn his place back.

He can't be relied on but his quality is so obvious whenever he plays. Noone will take him on with his injury record so having him as a back up LB/CB is what we should be doing.

I’m not sure it’s valid criticising him for going to the Euros. We don’t know that it was against the club’s advice, his injury coincided with the end of last season and he missed most of last season so he won’t have been fatigued from overworking.

For all we know the club felt getting match fitness with England is the right approach in his rehabilitation. It’s just typical for him that he’s got another injury to lose any benefit that might have earned him.

Shaw’s quality when he’s fit and in form. Quality isn’t his issue, it’s being available. Just can’t be relied upon, unfortunately.

The problem is definitely fit AND in form. He suffers from far too many injuries, and on top of that he needs a series of games to get into shape. He often comes back slightly on the heavy side, and that may also partially explain some of his injuries. Calling him obese, as some do, is plain stupid, but he does carry a little extra weight, and in no way do I think it benefits him with all the muscle he's carrying on the chest, for instance. He should be leaner.

That being said, he's a quality player when fit and in form, but it's far too erratic for considered world class. It's like claiming Saha could have been this or that. The fact is that Saha was never close to Henry's level because of his injuries, just like Shaw isn't close to world class levels because of his injuries. There are many left backs around that I would entertain ahead of him. Robertson, unfortunately, is far ahead of Shaw. I think you need to wear some red tinted glasses to suggest he is amongst the best LBs around. Would be interesting to hear why people think he's world class and none are better?

I’m not sure it’s valid criticising him for going to the Euros. We don’t know that it was against the club’s advice, his injury coincided with the end of last season and he missed most of last season so he won’t have been fatigued from overworking.

For all we know the club felt getting match fitness with England is the right approach in his rehabilitation. It’s just typical for him that he’s got another injury to lose any benefit that might have earned him.
You could argue that with all his injuries he should retire from the national team and focus on United and his fitness. Other than that, it's speculative to suggest either this or that. The other way around, the Euros could have been a positive in bringing him back into form.

It most likely had very little to do with his injury. He got injured in the 2nd game of last season after a full pre-season with no problems. He's simply an injury-prone player who might get injured at any time.

And the biggest mistake regarding him last season was playing in the game against Luton.

Owen Hargreaves was great when he was fit, too. But you can put that in one hand and shit in the other and see which hand fills up quicker. If you cant play, you aren't much use

The problem is definitely fit AND in form. He suffers from far too many injuries, and on top of that he needs a series of games to get into shape. He often comes back slightly on the heavy side, and that may also partially explain some of his injuries. Calling him obese, as some do, is plain stupid, but he does carry a little extra weight, and in no way do I think it benefits him with all the muscle he's carrying on the chest, for instance. He should be leaner.

That being said, he's a quality player when fit and in form, but it's far too erratic for considered world class. It's like claiming Saha could have been this or that. The fact is that Saha was never close to Henry's level because of his injuries, just like Shaw isn't close to world class levels because of his injuries. There are many left backs around that I would entertain ahead of him. Robertson, unfortunately, is far ahead of Shaw. I think you need to wear some red tinted glasses to suggest he is amongst the best LBs around. Would be interesting to hear why people think he's world class and none are better?
Not sure if the world class bits are directed at me, bud? Think I agree with most of what you wrote.

Let’s say he’s moved on next summer, he would require a considerable payoff package given he’ll still have two more years on his deal and any club looking to bring him in will offer a low base wage with the rest of his wages being contingent on appearances made. Could see this being one where he’s on the books for entirety of his current deal and if that’s the case we can’t refuse to address the LB position for three more years.

Are you suggesting that Luke Shaw used to be unfit or be injured because our medical staff was poor in last 10 years? Else I don't see how they are connected.
I just meant that if they see genuine issue with Luke Shaw attitude towards his fitness, then this new management will take corrective measures. From outside it does look like he doesn’t take care of his body, but you never know sometimes players are genuinely unlucky with injuries and nothing to do with their preparation. So i advocated for a year and see how it goes. Our previous management was in shambles so i wouldn’t be surprised if they never bothered about it

Last edited:
No, not directed at you - I would never :angel: just a general question
:lol: no worries. Yeah, i could have been guilty of overrating Shaw perhaps, in the past, myself, but I do believe that he has world class ability (when fit and on form) when compared to the other left backs out there. But as you've said, the main issue is that he's not reliable in terms of availability, and then it takes him a while to get going, before he inevitably gets injured again. Rinse repeat. So on that score, it's bobbins to say he's world class, yeah.

You're right we don't. But thinking about it logically it probably was. I say this purely because he was injured, had been injured for 6 months?(?) and went with the england team whilst not only not being fit, but still being injured. There quite clearly wasn't time for him to do the required fitness work and build up to being integrated back into the team slowly because of the nature of tournament football. And even if there had been, there's now way United medical team's advice to a player with Injury issues a mile long who's susceptible to injuries to go and play in the Euros whilst injured. No way in hell.

Luke looks swollen on the that picture with the 3rd kit. Definitely not taking care of himself. So sad with that much talent to not continuously be in better shape. All that extra weight leads to injuries like he is getting.

Bit of a vicious circle I think, if he trains too much he injures himself.

Shaw’s quality when he’s fit and in form. Quality isn’t his issue, it’s being available. Just can’t be relied upon, unfortunately.
That was the same for Varane and he's at Como now, so it shows you how much demand there is for players like this. I think he'll end up back on the South coast in a season or two.

Last edited:
Varane was rightfully moved on because we couldn't rely on him to stay fit and he averaged 16 games out through injury over the 3 years he was at United, in the same time Shaw averaged 18.3 games out per season, which in itself is actually an improvement of the average 26.4 games he's missed each year since he joined us. He's just injured way too much.

I've just noticed that my post below is in one of the posts you've quoted, and I'm confused as to why. As you can see, all that I wrote is that I understand why he is not in contention for the community shield game, given that he came back a week ago at that point, a player with a horrific injury history so pushing him to start might end with him getting injured again. But also that there are players that came back around the same time as he did, but were in contention for the game.

Nobody is defending him blindly or taking his side, nor saying he is reliable or that we don't need a new left-back. Note, that the post was written at a time when there was no news that he is injured, rather, simply getting back to match fitness.

I am not saying you defended him blindly or anything like that, but I don't think he deserves anything in his defence when it comes to injuries because he picked playing for England over being fit for United. You were suggesting people are wrong for guessing and being frustrated that he is injured when he wasn't. People rightfully questioned why he wasn't match fit and some guessed rightfully why he wasn't ready when he returned as many others, which could indicate that he was injured/isn't fit.

No club will buy a player so injury prone, even one of his quality.

We need to prioritize buying a top LB next summer and Shaw should become our backup LB or even a backup CB.

That was the same for Varane and he's at Como now, so it shows you how demand their is for players like this. I think he'll end up back on the South coast in a season or two.
Yeah i don’t think we’ll have an issue selling him at a reasonable price or as long as his wage demands aren’t excessive

In the presser for the Fulham game ETH referred to him as an important player for the team. I don’t understand the comment when the player is not playing for much of the time.

It has to be true that his only future role is as a backup, third choice at best.