Luckhurst: United prepared to move for a holding midfielder in January

Quiet before the storm:boring:

Some clubs need money or to cut expenditures, but try to play hard ball and underestimate other clubs willingness to pay in today’s market.

Do we expect a kind of ketchup effect?

Yawn, six days left which means there will be no more business given the shocking slowcoach way this mob go about things. We are linked with almost every bleeding player in Europe. Carvinga, Niguez, Ronaldo, Rice to name but four. Chelsea just identify who they want and go and buy him. Neves again is mentioned. As I always say, when they appear in a United shirt, I’ll believe it.
Chelsea spent most of the summer trying and failing to get Haaland, settling for Lukaku in the middle of August. They've also spent all summer trying to get Kounde.

City spent all summer tying to get Kane. And failing.

It's a myth that our rivals' transfers are smooth sailing and efficient.

We will end up spending less than all our rivals in a summer where we really needed to kick on and where good options appear to be available for modest money. It really will be frustrating if it finishes the way it is going

We will end up spending less than all our rivals in a summer where we really needed to kick on and where good options appear to be available for modest money. It really will be frustrating if it finishes the way it is going

Yeah midfield is definitely gonna hold us back and we simply have to find a way to make a couple of sales in next 6 days

I imagine we will still sell players in the last few days, possibly even on deadline day, as we simply have to. But it will probably be too late to buy. Frustrating...

Disappointed in the club but not surprised.

That said the midfield can't be an excuse for Ole down the line.

His decisions got us this Midfield so if its works he gets the credit and if it doesn't then he gets the blame.

Yet again it’s looking like the Glazers will leave the club short in a transfer window.
At the start of the summer Ole said we needed 3 top signings. if we want to catch up with teams we need to beat them well in recruitment. There are midfielders out there for around 30m, just get one in. As others have said, an injury to Fred or mctominay and we’re so light.
6 days left.

I imagine we will still sell players in the last few days, possibly even on deadline day, as we simply have to. But it will probably be too late to buy. Frustrating...

Yeah and then Ole on the touchline wondering why we still can't break down the pressers and low blockers

Yet again it’s looking like the Glazers will leave the club short in a transfer window.
At the start of the summer Ole said we needed 3 top signings. if we want to catch up with teams we need to beat them well in recruitment. There are midfielders out there for around 30m, just get one in. As others have said, an injury to Fred or mctominay and we’re so light.
6 days left.

I don't think any coach can complain when they get two top talents like Sancho and Varane in a single summer.

If that's not enough to make strides this season we're in trouble.

6 days left.

Yeah tick tock you yankee leeches

I don't think any coach can complain when they get two top talents like Sancho and Varane in a single summer.

Our midfield options are poor outside of Bruno & Pogba

They are good signings, no doubt. But we can’t keep falling short every summer, we need to make proper ground, come away from a transfer window with all the managers boxes ticked.

They are good signings, no doubt. But we can’t keep falling short every summer, we need to make proper ground, come away from a transfer window with all the managers boxes ticked.

Yeah spot on time is ticking so John, Fletch & co make something happen and stop putting out negative reports

It's been quite a relaxing window for me by United standards - I only really bought into the Sancho and Varane talk, and they've been completed. The plethora of CM's linked on a daily basis would have been tantalising / frustrating if I'd bought into the rumours but, thankfully, I never really believed any of the unconfirmed links to CM's this summer, so I'm not too disappointed or surprised at the likelihood of us not bringing one in.

We've slowly but surely been bringing in the positions that we needed - and would probably have been more advanced but for Covid slowing down the market - and we've done well again this summer with strong RW and CB additions. But I wasn't convinced we'd also be adding the kind of top quality CM we needed to improve our options on top of those two big summer additions. And none of the links ever seemed sufficiently advanced to give me hope.

I'm expecting the CM and #9 options to be addressed next summer. And the only other option I thought we might do after Varane was the alternative RB. But only Trippier was linked with any strength, and that never seemed very advanced, so I was never particularly expectant about that one either. Although I would have liked it as a huge improvement on Dalot and a genuine rival for AWB.

It's been quite a relaxing window for me by United standards - I only really bought into the Sancho and Varane talk, and they've been completed. The plethora of CM's linked on a daily basis would have been tantalising / frustrating if I'd bought into the rumours but, thankfully, I never really believed any of the unconfirmed links to CM's this summer, so I'm not too disappointed or surprised at the likelihood of us not bringing one in.

We've slowly but surely been bringing in the positions that we needed - and would probably have been more advanced but for Covid slowing down the market - and we've done well again this summer with strong RW and CB additions. But I wasn't convinced we'd also be adding the kind of top quality CM we needed to improve our options on top of those two big summer additions. And none of the links ever seemed sufficiently advanced to give me hope.

I'm expecting the CM and #9 options to be addressed next summer. And the only other option I thought we might do after Varane was the alternative RB. But only Trippier was linked with any strength, and that never seemed very advanced, so I was never particularly expectant about that one either. Although I would have liked it as a huge improvement on Dalot and a genuine rival for AWB.

Jeez how can you be so calm about yet ANOTHER season of McFred & Matic as our options in CM, just the thought of having to wait another year for a midfielder makes me want to lose it completely. Especially when you look at how poorly we generally fare when facing teams that either press us high or that god awful low block.

Jeez how can you be so calm about yet ANOTHER season of McFred & Matic as our options in CM, just the thought of having to wait another year for a midfielder makes me want to lose it completely. Especially when you look at how poorly we generally fare when facing teams that either press us high or that god awful low block.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love us to sign a top quality CM (and really wished we hadn't extended Matic's deal when we did). And really hope we do so next summer. I just didn't expect us to, and didn't buy into the links, so I'm not too surprised or disappointed about it not happening this window.

Next summer will be different. I'll be hopeful of, and expecting, a good quality signing in the CM and #9 departments, so I'll really be following the links in those departments then. This summer, I didn't think we'd address those on top of the big CB and RW additions, so I didn't emotionally invest in any of the many CM links.

There also wasn't really any of the ones that excited me. Varane and Sancho did. And I liked the idea of Trippier as an alternative RB. And if there's talk of Haaland next summer then that would be huge. But the CM links this summer didn't sound like comparably 'huge' upgrades. So not only didn't I believe the CM links for this window, I wasn't overly excited by any of them either.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love us to sign a top quality CM (and really wished we hadn't extended Matic's deal when we did). And really hope we do so next summer. I just didn't expect us to, and didn't buy into the links, so I'm not too surprised or disappointed about it not happening this window.

Next summer will be different. I'll be hopeful of, and expecting, a good quality signing in the CM and #9 departments, so I'll really be following the links in those departments then. This summer, I didn't think we'd address those on top of the big CB and RW additions, so I didn't emotionally invest in any of the many CM links.

There also wasn't really any of the ones that excited me. Varane and Sancho did. And I liked the idea of Trippier as an alternative RB. And if there's talk of Haaland next summer then that would be huge. But the CM links this summer didn't sound like comparably 'huge' upgrades. So not only didn't I believe the CM links for this window, I wasn't overly excited by any of them either.

Honestly think UNLESS by some miracle Donny actually has some faith put in him we will still see a fair few performances like on Sunday and really worried about facing the other three big rivals home or away in the league as well

Sesko scored
Get in Aurelien Tchouameni for that defensive midfield role. Excellent player that will move to a bigger club soon. Ndidi is gonna be expensive if we try to prise him away from Leicester. Take a punt on Benjamin Sesko with the money that will be saved.

Sesko scored a beauty yesterday and assisted the second goal. He will become one of the best strikers in the world.

Just seen Scott is having groin surgery, we can't seriously be going into the season with only Fred, Matic and DVB for the midfield. They've gotta push on with this.

The Glazers are fecking stubborn. When they decide our spending is done, our spending is done. McTominay's injury won't change anything, they'll probably tell Ole to promote Mejbri or recall Garner.

The Glazers are fecking stubborn. When they decide our spending is done, our spending is done. McTominay's injury won't change anything. They'll probably tell Ole to promote Mejbri or recall Garner.
Ole would rather run Matic into the ground than play Hannibal. He’s not as keen on youth as people make out.

We should splash 40m on a midfielder, from teams with good track record of developing international players like Ajax.

Ole would rather run Matic into the ground than play Hannibal. He’s not as keen on youth as people make out.

I think any manager in their right mind would play Matic in midfield over an unproven, fragile youngster in the toughest league in the world in a position that’s incredibly demanding.

Ole is keen on youth but thankfully he isn’t stupid.

I don’t see us signing Camavinga. He was definitely a target and I think we would definitely like to have him but one of our key factors in signing players now is how invested they are in Man United, how much they want to sign for the club. Camavinga has made it known he’d rather move to Real Madrid in Spain so we won’t waste time and money on a player who’s head is elsewhere.

Pogba will rotate with Matic and play alongside Fred for the foreseeable future. We won’t sign anyone else.

Suprised there is no mention of Bissouma. The more I see of him the more I am convinced he has what it takes to play at a top level.

He 100% has more about him than our current DM options that coupled with his PL experience surely makes him a viable option. Could see him and Mc'T forming a seriously strong sheild in front of our defence.
Only thing is how much would the lad cost, apparently he has a few suitors after him at the minute.

Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

Hannibal can't be counted on to stay on the pitch for 90 mins and doesn't even play the same role as Matic, so it's a weird stick to try and beat Ole with.

I think we are done. Unless a loan deal becomes Available or We can shift a player or two both I think are unlikely . Two very good additions to the squad on the Bright side .

I think we are done. Unless a loan deal becomes Available or We can shift a player or two both I think are unlikely . Two very good additions to the squad on the Bright side .
I think we were always done after Varane. The "3rd singing" was just put out to appease fans imo

Last edited:
I wonder when the protests will start about United not signing a shiny new midfielder and their inability to sell Jones and Jesse. I just don’t think bitching about It on the Caf is going to cut the mustard guys :lol:

I think we were always done after Varane. The "3rd singing" was just put out to applease fans imo

Bollocks. We'd have made the 3rd signing if we'd been able to shift some players, but we've failed absolutely miserably and it looks like it'll cost us.

Why would it appease fans to be led down the garden path with false hope? That's nonsense.