Luckhurst: United prepared to move for a holding midfielder in January

Did Luckhurst actually say we WILL sign a 3rd player?

All I see is a UtdReport tweet in the OP, which will be obviously be a snippet from a rambling uninformed prediction he made on some podcast, rather than an actual inside piece of knowledge. That account is all about the RT's and it sustains page after page of Caf threads.

To be honest, I know nothing about tweets, much too old for that sort of stuff. But I assumed that the orginal post was a retweet of Luckhurst's actual tweets that claimed that United will make a 3rd significant signing and that they will prioritize a midfielder over a right back.

Maybe a better way of asking my question, would have been, does anybody still believe we will still make a 3rd significant signing, which will be a midfielder and leave Luckhurst's name out of it.

We had 6 years of greatness with Ronaldo where we won it all. Would be nice if he came back from a football perspective, but its also something that doesn't fit into our squad at all right now and we have other priorities. It is what it is. After all the "allegations" against Ronaldo the past few years, I'm ok with him not coming back.

But yeah, we don't have a sugar daddy owner so we can't instantly fix all our issues with a £250m net spend window. Sucks. Don't need to be dramatic. Enjoy the potential success this season knowing we didn't just buy buy buy beyond our means and put ourselves in danger just to plug every hole in our squad.

Football is what it is because the emotions it draws on. It's exactly the fact it makes people dramatic that it's so largely adored.

To be honest, I know nothing about tweets, much too old for that sort of stuff. But I assumed that the orginal post was a retweet of Luckhurst's actual tweets that claimed that United will make a 3rd significant signing and that they will prioritize a midfielder over a right back.

Maybe a better way of asking my question, would have been, does anybody still believe we will still make a 3rd significant signing, which will be a midfielder and leave Luckhurst's name out of it.
In a word,No.

Football is what it is because the emotions it draws on. It's exactly the fact it makes people dramatic that it's so largely adored.
Sure. But it's also OK to be happy and grateful with what we did and not always look at what others do. We have had a very good window. Whatever City/Chelsea/PSG do doesn't change that.

'
Barca are in a dire financial state and not trying for him was a really poor decision indeed but with these owners no surprise
How the hell do you know us and other teams haven't tried for him? FFS.

Those messages about him and Pedri being untouchable for sales are because teams have tried to buy them.

How the hell do you know us and other teams haven't tried for him? FFS.

Those messages about him and Pedri being untouchable for sales are because teams have tried to buy them.

Would Messi not have been considered untouchable

No midfielder sucks, Ronaldo to city is irrelevant to United and how we operate our own window.

If I could've hand picked 3 players regardless of realism to sign before the window, it would've been Sancho, Frenkie De Jong and Varane. We signed 2 of them. I really can't be upset at that outcome and I don't think anyone can be. Focus on ourselves and the rest will come.
So you're not expecting a title challenge, then?

We had 6 years of greatness with Ronaldo where we won it all. Would be nice if he came back from a football perspective, but its also something that doesn't fit into our squad at all right now and we have other priorities. It is what it is. After all the "allegations" against Ronaldo the past few years, I'm ok with him not coming back.

But yeah, we don't have a sugar daddy owner so we can't instantly fix all our issues with a £250m net spend window. Sucks. Don't need to be dramatic. Enjoy the potential success this season knowing we didn't just buy buy buy beyond our means and put ourselves in danger just to plug every hole in our squad.
We are not swimming in money, but they were quite happy to hand out contracts to someone who made a good cup of tea that day. It is the people who run this club who have caused this. When will we learn to sell players when they have a purple patch, because that is what it usually is.

I'm annoyed because we could have bought a DM this summer IF we hadn't pissed money up the wall last summer

We are not swimming in money, but they were quite happy to hand out contracts to someone who made a good cup of tea that day. It is the people who run this club who have caused this. When will we learn to sell players when they have a purple patch, because that is what it usually is.

Yeah we clearly don't sell players at their peak or close to and then end up unable to shift them

And if you aren't gonna sell, for the love of all things holy, don't give them such big wages lesser teams can't even conceive of going for them.

It's nothing to do with these owners, he would cost something like 150m after we spent over 100m already (and that's if they are open to sell him). He is one of their untouchables, and is earning something like 500k a week anyway.

Let's be reasonable here. We've had a great window and they will be massive additions to our squad.

We haven’t spent over £100m already.

Don’t be a fan that is blinded by the signings of Varane and Sancho.

The Glazers have done what the Glazers do and fans are falling for it.

2 years of greatness. He half arsed his last season & ranged from average to very good in his first 3 years.

Yeah they have clearly still conned many in our fanbase which is sad to see

Sure. But it's also OK to be happy and grateful with what we did and not always look at what others do. We have had a very good window. Whatever City/Chelsea/PSG do doesn't change that.

It does change it though... Football is competitive and by default will always draw comparisons against the people you're competing against. We have had a good window, we got a couple of players we really needed but I can get why some are getting antsy because we're not just getting out spent, the people we want to compete with have (on paper at least) improved their squads even further than we have, making the improvement slightly moot in a way.

I'm almost always the person to say take a sec, get some perspective etc and I'm generally an optimistic fan but particularly considering Sancho and Varane have been agreed as installments, it's frustrating that when there are a few quality options to improve our midfield (which we do need) we're seemingly unable to compete for them or we don't want to. Both would be fairly valid reasons for people to feel frustrated. Ronaldo to City just puts the cherry on top.

And if you aren't gonna sell, for the love of all things holy, don't give them such big wages lesser teams can't even conceive of going for them.
The wages are baffling, sorry but the likes of Real Madrid will not sign Matic and Co.

Fred and mctominay are a good duo. Proven over and over again. Both have played way better than Donny, so so much better
They're OK (as squad players). I wouldn't rate them as "good" for a club of this stature. If they were we wouldn't constantly be moaning in this forum for midfielders.

That's also a bit harsh on Donny considering he hardly ever gets played and even when he has been it's not been consistent.

They're OK (as squad players). I wouldn't rate them as "good" for a club of this stature. If they were we wouldn't constantly be moaning in this forum for midfielders.

That's also a bit harsh on Donny considering he hardly ever gets played and even when he has been it's not been consistent.
Fair enough on both counts. I guess my point is Fred and Scott play ahead of Donny on merit

This is I'm sure an unpopular opinion but if we never had the money to get RW CB and DM, did we need to spend a bulk of our money on Sancho? I always thought we needed to upgrade more on Lindelof and Fred than we needed to upgrade on Greenwood when we got Sancho. I always thought we should only get Sancho if another club was after him and if it means we still have money for a CB and DM. None of this was the case and I think we would have been better off if we got a DM and CB and maybe a cheap or loan stopgap RW till we go after Sancho again the next rather than spending a bulk of the budget on Sancho

Yeah the glazers are shit. But we've had a good window and I'm happy with it, midfielder or no midfielder, because Sancho and Varane are fantastic signings.

Sancho was 73m and Varane was 40m? 113m. Sure you can argue about payment structures, but transfers are literally always like that. We brought in 113m worth of transfers. So yes. I'm going to be happy with a fantastic window despite the impact of covid.

Yeah the glazers are shit. But we've had a good window and I'm happy with it, midfielder or no midfielder, because Sancho and Varane are fantastic signings.

Sancho was 73m and Varane was 40m? 113m. Sure you can argue about payment structures, but transfers are literally always like that. We brought in 113m worth of transfers. So yes. I'm going to be happy with a fantastic window despite the impact of covid.

I feel like you're describing Arsenal from the early 2010s. That line of thinking is why we won't ever win the league in the near future.

2 years of greatness. He half arsed his last season & ranged from average to very good in his first 3 years.
Let's not rewrite history here. He's one of our greatest ever players and was still fantastic in his last season. And he was fantastic in 06/07 too. Young and improving with big moments in first 3 years, one of the best in the world in his last 3.

This is I'm sure an unpopular opinion but if we never had the money to get RW CB and DM, did we need to spend a bulk of our money on Sancho? I always thought we needed to upgrade more on Lindelof and Fred than we needed to upgrade on Greenwood when we got Sancho. I always thought we should only get Sancho if another club was after him and if it means we still have money for a CB and DM. None of this was the case and I think we would have been better off if we got a DM and CB and maybe a cheap or loan stopgap RW till we go after Sancho again the next rather than spending a bulk of the budget on Sancho

We would have been better off not throwing away over £50m last summer then could have afforded all three positions

I feel like you're describing Arsenal from the early 2010s. That line of thinking is why we won't ever win the league in the near future.
Sorry did Arsenal sign one of the best centerbacks of the previous decade still at a good age along with one of the top 3 u23 talents in world football, both addressing long time gaping holes in their squad in the same window?

The wages are baffling, sorry but the likes of Real Madrid will not sign Matic and Co.

No but a mid-table club somewhere in Europe might if they didn't have to try and match £100k a week wages, nevermind a transfer fee.

The likes of Liverpool don't give players like Rhian Brewster anything close to what Andreas Pereira and Brandon Williams are on. So they're more gettable targets for a middle of the road team. Its different to cough up £10/20m for a player if you're only having to pay them £15k a week. Nobody is going to buy our deadwood players and then give them £150k a week. That's why we end up giving away players like Alexis, Rojo and there will be others.

Our wage structure is bizarre and it stops us selling players. When I see the journalists writing up briefings about 'protecting value' I can only think they mean in pure accountancy terms e.g. a new long contract has a high book value. Cos I don't see any value in renewing deals like we do, for the players we do, on the money we do it. Its literally throwing good money after bad.

If I could've picked 1 player, it would've been Sancho. He's a massive signing for us and will be fantastic. He's literally a dream player to complete our attack and addressed arguably our biggest need, given we had no creative wide player and nobody natural on the right.

The issue isn’t about people being happy or not happy about our signings.

The issue I have is with people saying we’ve spent x amount so aren’t going to splash out on a midfielder.

I will accept that there might need to be outgoings before we get any more players in but there SHOULD easily be another £40-50m available for a better midfielder, IMO.

Bissouma or Rice, for example. With the right structure of a deal or even with an outright buy!

I'm annoyed because we could have bought a DM this summer IF we hadn't pissed money up the wall last summer
Yeah ideally last summer we would've signed a holding midfielder instead of Van de Beek and Amad, but no point crying over previous years. What we did this summer, is good and I have 0 complaints about it.

Sorry did Arsenal sign one of the best centerbacks of the previous decade still at a good age along with one of the top 3 u23 talents in world football, both addressing long time gaping holes in their squad in the same window?

You can't look at just what United does. You have to look at what you're competitors are doing. So yes, only signing a Winger and CB (as good as they are) when Chelsea and City are buying players of equal quality in more quantity makes us Arsenal.

The issue isn’t about people being happy or not happy about our signings.

The issue I have is with people saying we’ve spent x amount so aren’t going to splash out on a midfielder.

I will accept that there might need to be outgoings before we get any more players in but there SHOULD easily be another £40-50m available for a better midfielder, IMO.

Bissouma or Rice, for example. With the right structure of a deal or even with an outright buy!
Why should there easily be another 50m? We aren't made of money and covid has had an impact.

Yes, ideally we would sell Lingard, Van de Beek, Matic, Pereira, Dalot and whoever else and bring in Trippier and someone like Bissouma or Rice. But we can't control that Atletico wants 40m for Trippier or West Ham want 100m for Rice. We can't control that nobody wanted Pereira as more than a loan. That West Ham didn't want to meet the asking price for Lingard. Not entirely unreasonable that we're giving Van de Beek another chance instead of instantly selling him at a huge loss.

I swear people think football transfers work like Football Manager and you can just bully any club and money makes no difference?

No but a mid-table club somewhere in Europe might if they didn't have to try and match £100k a week wages, nevermind a transfer fee.

The likes of Liverpool don't give players like Rhian Brewster anything close to what Andreas Pereira and Brandon Williams are on. So they're more gettable targets for a middle of the road team. Its different to cough up £10/20m for a player if you're only having to pay them £15k a week. Nobody is going to buy our deadwood players and then give them £150k a week. That's why we end up giving away players like Alexis, Rojo and there will be others.

Our wage structure is bizarre and it stops us selling players. When I see the journalists writing up briefings about 'protecting value' I can only think they mean in pure accountancy terms e.g. a new long contract has a high book value. Cos I don't see any value in renewing deals like we do, for the players we do, on the money we do it. Its literally throwing good money after bad.

Agreed.

You can't look at just what United does. You have to look at what you're competitors are doing. So yes, only signing a Winger and CB (as good as they are) when Chelsea and City are buying players of equal quality in more quantity makes us Arsenal.
Equal quality in your opinion, not in my opinion. Varane and Sancho get into just about any team in the world (Sancho not in PSG, but that's about it). We addressed 2 massive gaps with perfect signings. City ignored all their gaps and spent 100m on a player that doesn't fit their style or improve their starting 11. Ronaldo would address their issue, but let's wait and see if it happens, and regardless, Pep has 2 seasons left after which they'll inevitably decline anyway. Helps having the best coach in the world with unlimited spending generally.

Chelsea strengthened with Lukaku, but Saul or Kounde don't really make any difference from a starting 11 point of view anyway for them and neither would make a big difference in our starting 11 anyway.

If I could've picked 1 player, it would've been Sancho. He's a massive signing for us and will be fantastic. He's literally a dream player to complete our attack and addressed arguably our biggest need, given we had no creative wide player and nobody natural on the right.
I'm very happy he's here and rate him highly. I think Sancho is a player we shouldn't miss out on but if this was a signing we could have done next season allowing us to get a DM this summer then I would have preferred that. I just think a DM is more priority than RW. I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong though

Why should there easily be another 50m? We aren't made of money and covid has had an impact.

Yes, ideally we would sell Lingard, Van de Beek, Matic, Pereira, Dalot and whoever else and bring in Trippier and someone like Bissouma or Rice. But we can't control that Atletico wants 40m for Trippier or West Ham want 100m for Rice. We can't control that nobody wanted Pereira as more than a loan. That West Ham didn't want to meet the asking price for Lingard. Not entirely unreasonable that we're giving Van de Beek another chance instead of instantly selling him at a huge loss.

I swear people think football transfers work like Football Manager and you can just bully any club and money makes no difference?

We are the most financially stable club in world football and could play forever with no fans in the ground without it affecting our revenues too much.

And, everything that happens at our club is our fault. Far too many contracts handed out to retain some sort of value. We could name, and maybe even agree on, at least 5 players who might fetch at least £15m each IF their wages weren’t obscenely high. If we could sell them all, that’s £75m. Throw at West Ham and take Rice.

The wages these players are on are what put clubs off because the players then expect the same wage wherever they go and that is unsustainable for clubs lower down the pyramid.

Or go and pay £40m for Bissouma.

Structure the deal like the Sancho deal.

Surely the board can't be dumb enough to think we can end the window without signing any midfielder after how City and Chelsea have strengthened and McTominay getting surgery? Can they? Do we have any hope of getting a mid?