Luckhurst: United prepared to move for a holding midfielder in January

Need Neves to put himself in the shop window but obviously not cost us any points at the same time

The Rice links seem to be surfacing again. Despite rumours about other players, I still feel Rice and Trippier are the most likely incoming transfers this Summer, if indeed there are any more.
As if we have another 100m+ to spend.

The downside of grabbing good players early with little fuss is that there's a sense of anti-climax when the transfer window closes. Not selling the deadwood is irritating and leaving the midfield puzzle unfinished for another season is a shame, but at the end of the day, we've made two high-quality additions to go straight into the first team and in doing so have essentially made our bench stronger too. So that's still a decent window.

it was negligence before Mcintomay's injury, unthinkable now for us to leave the midfield as it is.

I've grown to dread the final day of the window, it's anyone's guess what desperate moves might be made.. :rolleyes:

We need a ball playing midfielder whether McDominate is injured or not. How long is he out for anyway?

I've got the gut feeling theres one more in it, but none of the names mentioned. Very much like last Summer where none of us expected the players that came in until the announcement.

Lads, calm down. We have Phil “the new Duncan Edwards” Jones coming back from injury soon. He’ll earn himself that testimonial yet.

FFS Please sign a midfielder to give us positivity because signing Jadon & Varane is starting to not matter about

Think it's time to start accepting the direction the club is going in. They signed Varane and Sancho to appease the fans after that Super League fiasco.

But all they want from the club is to ensure top 4 and CL contention. Anything beyond that is a bonus, not the requirement. They are probably looking at our rivals, think we have little to no chance of winning the league, so might as well not spend money.

I seriously hope VDB steps up this season, and that Ole actually gives him a proper go.

Think it's time to start accepting the direction the club is going in. They signed Varane and Sancho to appease the fans after that Super League fiasco.

But all they want from the club is to ensure top 4 and CL contention. Anything beyond that is a bonus, not the requirement. They are probably looking at our rivals, think we have little to no chance of winning the league, so might as well not spend money.

I seriously hope VDB steps up this season, and that Ole actually gives him a proper go.
Sancho and Varane bought in just to appease fans.how childish are you.i can understand the anger,Christ who doesn't think we don't need a midfielder but to write that statement :lol:

Hard to feel excited about the season now with such little quality in our midfield

You are absolutely spot on sadly

Sancho and Varane bought in just to appease fans.how childish are you.i can understand the anger,Christ who doesn't think we don't need a midfielder but to write that statement :lol:
I highly doubt we would go about spending 100M plus in a post covid market cause the Glazers suddenly care about winning.

How the hell is that argument childish? Signing big name players has always been associated with positive PR. Everyone and their mother predicted that the Glazers would spend this summer after fan anger.

I highly doubt we would go about spending 100M plus in a post covid market cause the Glazers suddenly care about winning.

How the hell is that argument childish? Signing big name players has always been associated with positive PR. Everyone and their mother predicted that the Glazers would spend this summer after fan anger.
Even though every man and his dog knows we need top players in those positions :wenger:

Even though every man and his dog knows we need top players in those positions :wenger:
We had the same requirement for a long time, why did we suddenly splurge on both this summer? Also everyone knows we need a midfield to almost complete this team, why are we not going for anyone then?

We had the same requirement for a long time, why did we suddenly splurge on both this summer? Also everyone knows we need a midfield to almost complete this team, why are we not going for anyone then?

Because they only care about star names and shirt sales which those two provide, unglamorous DM's don't pay the bills for them

Sancho and Varane, phenomenal players to buy. A+

And then what? That's it? So little is happening at the club now its infuriating.

Arsenal of all clubs have spent 22 million Euro more than us.

The club has financial muscles, god damn use them.-

And then what? That's it? So little is happening at the club now its infuriating
If things start going south again, there could be another riot by fans. Glazers do not care much unless their pockets are hurt.

Maybe we haven't got a bottomless pit of money and outgoings haven't exactly been a success?

And then what? That's it? So little is happening at the club now its infuriating.

Arsenal of all clubs have spent 22 million Euro more than us.

The club has financial muscles, god damn use them.-
We don't have a bottomless pit of money and likely only had around 100m to spend net. We spent more and have failed to sell anyone, but that doesn't make it a bad window. Sancho and Varane both in is a fantastic window and nothing changes that (and we're keeping Pogba another year).

People love constant new transfers, but this window could've been one where we don't get a world class attacker in Sancho, we don't get one of the best centerbacks of the past decade, and we lose a world class creative midfielder in Pogba. All 3 went our way. Give them time to bed in, anything past them was only at best going to be depth options.

We don't have a bottomless pit of money and likely only had around 100m to spend net. We spent more and have failed to sell anyone, but that doesn't make it a bad window. Sancho and Varane both in is a fantastic window and nothing changes that (and we're keeping Pogba another year).

People love constant new transfers, but this window could've been one where we don't get a world class attacker in Sancho, we don't get one of the best centerbacks of the past decade, and we lose a world class creative midfielder in Pogba. All 3 went our way. Give them time to bed in, anything past them was only at best going to be depth options.

No MIDFIELDER and Ronaldo to City taints this window badly in my eyes

Anyone who thinks that our holding midfield options are sufficient to challenge for the title is utterly deluded.

Anybody still think Luckhurst is right?

If we don't improve on Fred, McTominay and Matic , all the shine of getting Sancho and Varane will be gone. If we have the rely on the current midfield we will finish 4th at best. Through in Ronaldo maybe going to City and this has the potential to be one crappy end to what orginally looked like a great transfer window.

Club did a great job getting Varane and Sancho, and all the crying here accusing MUFC of settling is insane. Spoiled brats.

I hope we get a midfielder.

All the Glazers have to do is take out 30M quid from their own pockets and allow the club to buy a midfielder which is of urgent need. But we all know they won’t do it as they only take money out of the club and not put into it

Anybody still think Luckhurst is right?

If we don't improve on Fred, McTominay and Matic , all the shine of getting Sancho and Varane will be gone. If we have the rely on the current midfield we will finish 4th at best. Through in Ronaldo maybe going to City and this has the potential to be one crappy end to what orginally looked like a great transfer window.
Did Luckhurst actually say we WILL sign a 3rd player?

All I see is a UtdReport tweet in the OP, which will be obviously be a snippet from a rambling uninformed prediction he made on some podcast, rather than an actual inside piece of knowledge. That account is all about the RT's and it sustains page after page of Caf threads.

No MIDFIELDER and Ronaldo to City taints this window badly in my eyes
No midfielder sucks, Ronaldo to city is irrelevant to United and how we operate our own window.

If I could've hand picked 3 players regardless of realism to sign before the window, it would've been Sancho, Frenkie De Jong and Varane. We signed 2 of them. I really can't be upset at that outcome and I don't think anyone can be. Focus on ourselves and the rest will come.

All the Glazers have to do is take out 30M quid from their own pockets and allow the club to buy a midfielder which is of urgent need. But we all know they won’t do it as they only take money out of the club and not put into it

Or they could allow the staff to do there jobs and shift some of the deadwood, even if that's to reduce the wage bill.

No midfielder sucks, Ronaldo to city is irrelevant to United and how we operate our own window.

If I could've hand picked 3 players regardless of realism to sign before the window, it would've been Sancho, Frenkie De Jong and Varane. We signed 2 of them. I really can't be upset at that outcome and I don't think anyone can be. Focus on ourselves and the rest will come.
'
Barca are in a dire financial state and not trying for him was a really poor decision indeed but with these owners no surprise

I find it bizarre that Ole looks at Fred,Mctominay and Matic and thinks"Good enough for United ".I'm gutted really,it feels like just 1 more quality signing and we're challenging for the league title.

I find it bizarre that Ole looks at Fred,Mctominay and Matic and thinks"Good enough for United ".I'm gutted really,it feels like just 1 more quality signing and we're challenging for the league title.

Yeah always one signing short of what is required

'
Barca are in a dire financial state and not trying for him was a really poor decision indeed but with these owners no surprise
It's nothing to do with these owners, he would cost something like 150m after we spent over 100m already (and that's if they are open to sell him). He is one of their untouchables, and is earning something like 500k a week anyway.

Let's be reasonable here. We've had a great window and they will be massive additions to our squad.

It's nothing to do with these owners, he would cost something like 150m after we spent over 100m already (and that's if they are open to sell him). He is one of their untouchables, and is earning something like 500k a week anyway.

Let's be reasonable here. We've had a great window and they will be massive additions to our squad.

Sorry not feeling reasonable when Ronaldo is going to City and we have no DM because of not making sales

More likely that financially we can't buy another player without clearing some players out of the squad, both off the wage bill, squad numbers, as well as transfer fees. There is no clear perfect midfielder for us right now available, but also we can't afford it this window. We've done well to get through covid and still be able to have a window like we have. But we don't have a bottomless pit of cash.

Sorry not feeling reasonable when Ronaldo is going to City and we have no DM because of not making sales
We had 6 years of greatness with Ronaldo where we won it all. Would be nice if he came back from a football perspective, but its also something that doesn't fit into our squad at all right now and we have other priorities. It is what it is. After all the "allegations" against Ronaldo the past few years, I'm ok with him not coming back.

But yeah, we don't have a sugar daddy owner so we can't instantly fix all our issues with a £250m net spend window. Sucks. Don't need to be dramatic. Enjoy the potential success this season knowing we didn't just buy buy buy beyond our means and put ourselves in danger just to plug every hole in our squad.