Luckhurst: United prepared to move for a holding midfielder in January

There were links with him right at the start of the summer, and then it went quiet.

I remember watching one of those premature 'Welcome to Manchester United' videos of him, and one of his highlights was a heavy first touch and then a shot which went wide.

I am excited.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/euro-...blem-position-tottenham-aouar-mckennie-duarte

ARAMBARRI TO SOLVE MAN UTD MIDFIELD CONUNDRUM
Manchester United are reportedly planning a shock late transfer window move to sign Getafe midfielder Mauro Arambarri.

The 25-year-old is one of the best all-round midfielders in LaLiga, where he has shone at Getafe since 2017.

He’s made 143 appearances during his time at the LaLiga outfit and has caught the eye with his all-action displays.

He’s been mentioned as a player United were keeping their eyes on in the past. Now, according to AS, they have been given strong encouragement that a deal could be finalised this summer.

The Uruguay international has just two years left on his deal and appears unlikely to sign an extension. And Getafe know that the time is right to sell now to maximise his market value.

As per AS, Barcelona have already been in touch with regards a possible deal. However, with finances tight, they are looking at a loan-to-buy option.

However, Getafe would prefer the straight cash sale. And that has reportedly encouraged United’s director of football John Murtough to make his move.

A deal worth £25m has been mooted for a player also being tracked by Valencia and Atletico Madrid.
Wouldn't mind, honestly. Nice, cheap stopgap until we can find a rest home for Matic.

This is the fellow who can't pass the football very well isn't it? Perfect for us.

Yes - he's not very good and I very much doubt we're interested. This just sounds like agent/club trying to get some money for him late on.

I'm still hopeful that we'll pull a midfield signing out of nowhere, but this lad won't be it.

The Rice links seem to be surfacing again. Despite rumours about other players, I still feel Rice and Trippier are the most likely incoming transfers this Summer, if indeed there are any more.

We are in for some serious pain in the big six games and low block merchants if we don't sign one in next week, would even take getting more of a cheap tempo controller this summer IF we could secure Rice for next summer too

Last edited:
The Rice links seem to be surfacing again. Despite rumours about other players, I still feel Rice and Trippier are the most likely incoming transfers this Summer, if indeed there are any more.

As the Hammers are blocking several transfers in and out due to their silly valuation on Rice, who is now unhappy about being yet another 100 million player.

We are in for some serious pain in the big six games and low block merchants if we don't sign one in next week, would even take getting more of a cheap tempo controller this summer IF we could secure Rice for next summer too
And the high pressers like against Southampton.

The whole league, really.

Who replaced Joao Ferreira? Or maybe just call up Joao and see if he's got any other Brunos hiding somewhere, he might throw us a name for old time's sake. It's depressing to keep reading names like Rice and Trippier when we know exactly what their level is. What is the point of a scouting network (or dismantling that network) if the names we are linked with are players who aren't even guaranteed to improve the first team?

Yep try telling that to the brains trust in charge of this team obsessed with two holding midfielders

Chelsea also play with 2 holding midfielders : Kante and Jorginho. The issue is ours are crap on the ball. A Veratti next to Fred/McT would completely elevate our play. You can play a 4-3-3 with Fred and McT and it wont solve shit. Its a personel issue.

For me it's negligible to go into the season so light in central midfield. One injury to McTominay or Fred (who arguably shouldn't be first choice anyway) and we're playing a sluggish Matic. Even someone on loan would do.

Chelsea also play with 2 holding midfielders : Kante and Jorginho. The issue is ours are crap on the ball. A Veratti next to Fred/McT would completely elevate our play. You can play a 4-3-3 with Fred and McT and it wont solve shit. Its a personel issue.

Chelsea also play a different system in a 343 where they at times have 4 wingers and 1 CF on the pitch so it's a much more attack minded system and style. Kante/Jorgingho/Kovic are ball winners and players used to cycle the ball but they are also better distributors of the ball than Fred/McT.

For me it's negligible to go into the season so light in central midfield. One injury to McTominay or Fred (who arguably shouldn't be first choice anyway) and we're playing a sluggish Matic. Even someone on loan would do.

Saul might be that loan move

Nicola Barella look unrealistic this summer. I switch to Youri Tielemans.

After watching United match against Southampton. Pobga as left winger and Fred and Matic as CM duo. United are crying after a complete nr.8. The creative one that combine and linked with the defend and top 4 upfront.

A Top Tielemans or Paul Scholes will win United premier league title.

A top and world class nr.8 is more needed than Kane. Use the money on the nr.8. Greenwood, Cavani and Rashford are good enough for CF spot. The key is the brain and mind of the team. The nr.8. Still the missing link after Paul Scholes.

After Eric Cantona. United still had the class of 92. Include Scholes, Keane, Giggs.
After C.Ronaldo. United still had Scholes, Giggs, Rooney and Van Persie
After Scholes and Giggs. And Sir Alex. The ship start sinking and lately just pull up by the arriving of Bruno. But still with Bruno and Pogba. United still stuggle to beat middle and bottom table teams. Why? Because the brain and mind of the team is still missing.

24.August now. If the goal is premier league title. Tielemans is needed. This boy is a baller. He match Bruno and Sancho ball skills level. All aspect of ball skills. Same kids play it best together.

So bring Tielemans. Before Klopp and Liverpool might eyes him to repleace Winnie to PSG.

United future complete nr.8. My recommendation = Youri Tielemans

Camaving and tchouameni are really good too. But Tielemans has cope and handle the physical and intensity of premier league. Scoring the goal against Chelsea in the FA CUP. Throwing the boys to the lions and premier league two year ago. Now the boy is playing with the lions. He is handle it now. Level up boy. Last level. Playing for one of the biggest team in the world. And with the best teammates. Against the best.
7-8 days left until 1.Sept.21.

It’s been pretty clear since Scholes retired and we brought him out of retirement that we need another genius for the middle of the park… the saga continues…
Feels exactly like that. Fellaini, Herrera, Blind, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Matić... trying Pereira in midfield was cherry on top of this farce. Tbh only Fred & Pogba had somekind of positive impact, but of course they had tough moments, too.

We're basically signing loads of random midfielders and Ole is very close to join our infamous group of managers with so far total lack of management and idea for Van de Beek.

It’s been pretty clear since Scholes retired and we brought him out of retirement that we need another genius for the middle of the park… the saga continues…
Scholes :drool: it wouldn't surprise me if he is never replaced, such was his genius. The man ran games and it was easy to forget how great he was watching him effortlessly run games week in-week out.

After watching United match against Southampton. Pobga as left winger and Fred and Matic as CM duo. United are crying after a complete nr.8. The creative one that combine and linked with the defend and top 4 upfront.

Bring him out of retirement again!?!?!?!?!

But seriously, agreed on the rest of your post.

A top and world class nr.8 is more needed than Kane. Use the money on the nr.8. Greenwood, Cavani and Rashford are good enough for CF spot. The key is the brain and mind of the team. The nr.8. Still the missing link after Paul Scholes.

After Eric Cantona. United still had the class of 92. Include Scholes, Keane, Giggs.
After Scholes and Giggs. And Sir Alex. The ship start sinking and lately just pull up by the arriving of Bruno. But still with Bruno and Pogba. United still stuggle to beat middle and bottom table teams. Why? Because the brain and mind of the team is still missing.

24.August now. If the goal is premier league title. Tielemans is needed. This boy is a baller. He match Bruno and Sancho ball skills level. All aspect of ball skills. Same kids play it best together.

So bring Tielemans. Before Klopp and Liverpool might eyes him to repleace Winnie to PSG.

Camaving and tchouameni are really good too. But Tielemans has cope and handle the physical and intensity of premier league. Scoring the goal against Chelsea in the FA CUP. Throwing the boys to the lions and premier league two year ago. Now the boy is playing with the lions. He is handle it now. Level up boy. Last level. Playing for one of the biggest team in the world. And with the best teammates. Against the best.

I have a hunch you seem to think Tielemans is a top player.

Given that we have both Pogba AND Bruno, this team needs Carrick more than Scholes to have balance.

Scholes :drool: it wouldn't surprise me if he is never replaced, such was his genius. The man ran games and it was easy to forget how great he was watching him effortlessly run games week in-week out.

Even just getting someone like Neves would be a step back in the right direction. Someone with a bit of street smarts who can speed us up and slow us down and knock a tasty switch/long ball so it doesn’t have to be Pogba or nothing. Take the sting out of games. Busquets was so talented at this. Drawing fouls and spraying the ball between the lines playing what looked a simple game but he was great on the turn either side. 1-2 and up the pitch. No point even pressing that cause you’re getting nothing

We have the energy and muscle in midfield, now bring in some high technical ability and defensive discipline.

Absolute legend, he's the player I miss the most from the Fergie era. Having him in todays team would without a doubt make us serious contenders. He'd make everything tick, which we desperately need.

Tielemans isn't half as good as you think.

Even just getting someone like Neves would be a step back in the right direction. Someone with a bit of street smarts who can speed us up and slow us down and knock a tasty switch/long ball so it doesn’t have to be Pogba or nothing. Take the sting out of games. Busquets was so talented at this. Drawing fouls and spraying the ball between the lines playing what looked a simple game but he was great on the turn either side. 1-2 and up the pitch. No point even pressing that cause you’re getting nothing
Pretty sure Neves would cost us a mini fortune.

Ah yeah. I bet he looks at Donny's situation and drools at the thought of player here.
I'm pretty confident he won't say no to joining us. Any player of that level would back themselves to beat out either of McFred for a starting spot. We'll have to explain to him that Donny is competing with Bruno for game time.

Utd's transfers have been fantastic already so far, but getting all of Sancho, Varane and Saul would be an absolutely astonishing summer of business and a giant leap in quality for the team.

Utd's transfers have been fantastic already so far, but getting all of Sancho, Varane and Saul would be an absolutely astonishing summer of business and a giant leap in quality for the team.

To be fair, I'm reading a lot of comments on here that Saul ain't that good & certainly wouldn't solve UTD's midfield problems, as for my opinion, I can't say as I can't recall watching Saul play a match so I am going on the views of others who have.

7 days left? Looking bleak unless we see some serious movements in the next few days but I can't see us selling the fringe players. Just more loans

I'm pretty confident he won't say no to joining us. Any player of that level would back themselves to beat out either of McFred for a starting spot. We'll have to explain to him that Donny is competing with Bruno for game time.
Of course he would, it's a massive step up for him. I do think he'd opt for another club though because of the Donny sitch.

Top players back themselves to play.

He should look and say ' Donny hasn't been any good, I'll have to play well if I want games at Manchester United'
I think he'd look at it and say "Donny was great here but can't get a look-in past Fred, McTominay or Matić???

I have this bad feeling that the club will tell Donny he is going to feature more and unable to sell Jesse either so won't bother buying a midfielder, however unfortunately it will be the same old story on Sunday and he will not even get off the bench at all.

Of course he would, it's a massive step up for him. I do think he'd opt for another club though because of the Donny sitch.

I think he'd look at it and say "Donny was great here but can't get a look-in past Fred, McTominay or Matić???
Fred and mctominay are a good duo. Proven over and over again. Both have played way better than Donny, so so much better

Camavinga for £30m incoming. Lingard to West Ham for £20m. That’s it for the summer.

Camavinga for £30m incoming. Lingard to West Ham for £20m. That’s it for the summer.
I'm not buying it (if you'll pardon the pun). I've ridden this rodeo too many times and this just stinks of the 2019 summer where we waited and waited for a midfielder to come in and it never arrived until the January window.

Don't think it'll be quite so drastic this time around as back then, but equally I don't think we'll be as desperate for a midfielder in January as we were back then too, so I expect if one comes in it will be in summer 2022.

Hearing about this being unlikely from Marshall (MEN) & Whitwell is so bloody frustrating to say the least, our mindset simply has to change on this before the window closes so making a sale somehow is absolutely paramount

To be fair to the club it's not like we haven't tried to address our midfield issues since Scholes and Carrick, it's just that all our acquisitions have failed.

Yawn, six days left which means there will be no more business given the shocking slowcoach way this mob go about things. We are linked with almost every bleeding player in Europe. Carvinga, Niguez, Ronaldo, Rice to name but four. Chelsea just identify who they want and go and buy him. Neves again is mentioned. As I always say, when they appear in a United shirt, I’ll believe it.