Television Lost: The Final Season

Never did watch the final season, it became a joke. And for a TV show I invested so much time in I really couldn't care for many of the characters. Sawyer and Benjamin were about the only 2 I was interested in.

I loved it at the beginning - i remember thinking the incredible was absolutely amazing. I simply didn't have the bandwidth / concentration for the end of it though. I just couldn't get my head round it and gave up trying to work it out.

As other posters have said, for something that I invested so much time in, to feel a bit "meh" by the end of it was disappointing.

Even the premise seems cheap now (maybe thanjs to shows like The 100. But it was great at the time

Until the end

The weakest stretch was from somewhere in season 2 until the 'return' in season 3.....in fact I did quit the show until I got bored then watched a few episodes in a row. I think season 3 was where they decided it needed shorter seasons all in one run, which worked, because 4+5 were strong again.

Thought it was fine network TV for the time.

I remember being absolutely fascinated with the bunker, the numbers, Desmond - That whole part of the show was amazing.

Jack & Kate, Hurley, Sayeed, Sawyer - Immense characters!
Sawyer is still immence in Colony. Tonight, Sky One.

And Dominic Monaghan has two MUTV shows with Juan Mata - together they look like an out take from Lord of the Rings.

LOST started in 2004.....a time when you had the Sopranos, the Wire, Deadwood, The Shield and finished in 2010, when you had Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Friday Night Lights.

Yeah, it was never even close to being the best thing on TV.

I loved it but was so let down by the ending I wished I'd never bothered, passed me right off.

I remember reading the show was originally written as a 2 - 3 season show, and due to the popularity the network comission season after season padding and milking every last bit.

Just recently finished re-watching this for the first time. It really is brilliant at the beginning. A good proper mystery/adventure story, there's nothing else like it.

I remember reading the show was originally written as a 2 - 3 season show, and due to the popularity the network comission season after season padding and milking every last bit.

It seemed to be the case for most series around that time. Lost, Prison Break, Heroes. Popularity for certain things meant ruining it long term.

I was listening to the podcast with Lindelof and he said they wanted to wrap it up much sooner than it did but the network didn't really allow them to due to it's ratings and that went on to affect the show quality.

The revisionism that goes on surrounding Lost is ridiculous. It's become hipster to slate it similar to the amount of moaning people do about GoT.

Fact is Lost was the best thing on TV when it aired. It was fantastic.

I bloody loved this show, watched it twice over and enjoyed it more the second time round.

I don't rate it as high as Game of Thrones or Peaky Blinders but I just really enjoyed it, can't exactly pick why. It has to be the characters, you just felt so invested in them. The story is what it is, the writers went a bit off tangent but throughout the whole show the characters were written exceptionally.

Just reinforces the point that a premise was well done but the execution of the series was rudderless and it was jumping the shark from week to week. Writing, it's always about the writing and a big reason why Season 7 of GoT probably dipped in that regard IMHO

Just reinforces the point that a premise was well done but the execution of the series was rudderless and it was jumping the shark from week to week. Writing, it's always about the writing and a big reason why Season 7 of GoT probably dipped in that regard IMHO

Thats more to do with the showrunners not having the source material to fall back on, as the TV show caught up with the books around season 5.
Had the books been finished i am sure season 7 and 8 would have been 10 eps seasons.
IMO, cutting the season length has had a negative effect from being a very rounded series based off the deep richness and size of the world created, to one that has become rushed.

Lost on the other hand was just way too long for what the essence of the story essentially was. In fact, the number of eps per season dropped from season 4 for Lost. For a show written for TV, when that to happen generally tells you the writers are running of things to write about.

Absolutely, @starman - I just meant to say the writing drives shows rather than a showrunner per se. Moreover, in the case of Lost - they never had scripted the whole story, just a premise. Lindelof et al filled it in as they went and they essentially had a framework to work with and the filler was just that, filler

First few seasons were incredible. I think it got really fecking stupid when they lowered the bomb in the ground. Everything after that was fecking daft and the ending for me was the worst ending i've seen in a TV show. It really fecking annoyed me.

When Lost was good, it was incredible.

The revisionism that goes on surrounding Lost is ridiculous. It's become hipster to slate it similar to the amount of moaning people do about GoT.

Fact is Lost was the best thing on TV when it aired. It was fantastic.
The Wire and the Sopranos (which very likely are the best TV shows of all time) aired at the same time as Lost.

So nope, it wasn't the best thing on TV. The most popular, probably yes, but not close to being the best.

For what is worth, I think it was dogshit and regret watching it. Pretty much everyone who watched it warned me to not watch it, but I thought I was wiser. I guess I wasn't.

The Wire and the Sopranos (which very likely are the best TV shows of all time) aired at the same time as Lost.

So nope, it wasn't the best thing on TV. The most popular, probably yes, but not close to being the best.

For what is worth, I think it was dogshit and regret watching it. Pretty much everyone who watched it warned me to not watch it, but I thought I was wiser. I guess I wasn't.

Entitled to your opinion of course - many disagree as would I particularly when it comes to The Wire and The Sopranos.

I don't get why they decided to introduce the stupid alternate timeline in season 6. It definitely wasn't needed. Apart from that could anyone explain why the ending is hated so much? I thought it was okayish.

I don't get why they decided to introduce the stupid alternate timeline in season 6. It definitely wasn't needed. Apart from that could anyone explain why the ending is hated so much? I thought it was okayish.

I believe its because their initial plan of the island as purgatory was sussed out by the fans. So they kinda panicked but then sorta integrated it into the final season, where the sideways timeline was purgatory and they tried to match it with the actual TL on the island.

End episode itself was fun. The whole series was fun whilst it was happening (except s2, I really didnt like it and it was like they were in a holding state). But looking back after the season was done, I got the feeling was... oh, that was it. I still enjoyed it but felt disappointed at the same time.

Im not so bothered with the ending, they just dragged the show out for too long. You could probably take out nearly two whole seasons and it would be a better show.

The whole storyline around "the boat" etc was so pointless.

Because I think a lot of people said from the start "I bet they are all dead" and felt the final vindicated them and that they guessed it from the start. To my mind that's not true.

Im not so bothered with the ending, they just dragged the show out for too long. You could probably take out nearly two whole seasons and it would be a better show.

The whole storyline around "the boat" etc was so pointless.
This. If it was a 3 season show, it would have gone down as probably a top 5 show of all time.

This. If it was a 3 season show, it would have gone down as probably a top 5 show of all time.
First three seassons were great.

By the way i would love to see some GOT style travel maps to show Jack and Kate criscrossing the Island every other episode..

The thing with Lost is you have to appreciate the journey more so than the destination. Lost, shortly followed by Prison Break were like the birth of a lot of modern shows today, in that they exist to go on and on and on, not to tell a complete story but to milk cash. Their trick was to make the plot so intricate and complex, and constantly paint itself into a corner. I can't think of many other shows that are able to match the 'addictiveness' of Lost (or Prison Break, I think they're so similar). Ending aside, I don't think you can fault anything whatsoever about the show leading up to it. It had great actors, great characters, a great plot, epic music, lots of shock and mystique. If Lost was made today, it wouldn't have 6 seasons, it'd probably have 15 and then some. You can't beat or forget how enjoyable each episode was to watch, there were scenes and moments in Lost that I'll probably remember for the rest of my life, it was that good. The ending was definitely disappointing, I can't deny it, but you can't let it ruin what was a great show.

The thing with Lost is you have to appreciate the journey more so than the destination. Lost, shortly followed by Prison Break were like the birth of a lot of modern shows today, in that they exist to go on and on and on, not to tell a complete story but to milk cash. Their trick was to make the plot so intricate and complex, and constantly paint itself into a corner. I can't think of many other shows that are able to match the 'addictiveness' of Lost (or Prison Break, I think they're so similar). Ending aside, I don't think you can fault anything whatsoever about the show leading up to it. It had great actors, great characters, a great plot, epic music, lots of shock and mystique. If Lost was made today, it wouldn't have 6 seasons, it'd probably have 15 and then some. You can't beat or forget how enjoyable each episode was to watch, there were scenes and moments in Lost that I'll probably remember for the rest of my life, it was that good. The ending was definitely disappointing, I can't deny it, but you can't let it ruin what was a great show.
The only good thing about Prison Break was season 1. THATS IT. Every other single episode after that was a huge pile of garbage. But that first season was prolly the best I have ever seen for a new show.

The only good thing about Prison Break was season 1. THATS IT. Every other single episode after that was a huge pile of garbage. But that first season was prolly the best I have ever seen for a new show.

For the record I don't put Prison Break in the same league as Lost in overall quality, but the ingredients for both shows are almost identical. Lost is in my elite three (with The Sopranos & GoT).

As others have said, it's almost cool to be seen slating lost now.

Fact is it was superb most weeks it aired and kept people guessing. It's up there with the best 3 tv shows of all time.

Rightly or wrongly, it felt like from the very beginning viewers were watching to get answers to the big mysteries. It went on too long as it is, theres no way anyone would watch 15 seasons of that. That said i still loved it and am now in the mood to watch it from the very beginning.