Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

To people who think that football is simply about buying players, it probably won't. & if it still doesn't make sense to a United fan after your horrific last season, then it never will.

Nope it just doesn't make sense. The last paragraph is all over the place. Maybe wipe away the tears before typing next time.

Also, nearly winning the league. :D

I like that. That's what Paul Tomkins should've called his book. Nearly winning the league.

@PickledRed
I'm not dismissing anyone yet. I think it's alright to be concerned though, as great as Rodgers has been for us his record in the transfer market is hardly something that merits blind faith. Like I said, I think we'll do well next season and challenge the other top teams in the league as best we can, which may or may not keep us in the top 4, it's too close to call at the minute. I'm not sure our summer signings will help us that much though, just like last season when only Mignolet and Sakho played regularly but had their wobbly moments.

For me it's not really enough to say that our first 11 was good enough last year so it will be again next year. Firstly the obvious loss of Suárez which might not cripple us but will definitely hurt, secondly our rivals haven't stood still themselves and thirdly it's unfair to expect everyone to have such brilliant seasons again.

I do think our signings will help us compete in more competitions though, and if we get a top left back I'll be a lot happier.

@BarneyLFC, I'm not a fan of Lallana but the no loss part was tongue-in-cheek.

I don't see the point in comparing Agger/Sakho but anyway, do you not think it's a bit too coincidental that our entire defence has went to shit at set pieces since Rodgers took over? It's a defence that isn't too dissimilar to what we had under Rafa yet we had a great record at set pieces under him. How can the same individuals be so much worse if it's not bad coaching? I could understand criticising our defenders at an individual level in open play but at this level set piece defending is mostly about coaching. You can love whoever you like but give me the centre back who we statistically concede a fraction of what we usually do when he plays.

I didn't expect star signings, just fed up of being fed the same bullshit every season by the club. It's hard to put a good spin on the signings when we were told to expect players from a higher bracket.

@johnny boy, I do trust in the manager, just not in the transfer market. So far he hasn't earned that trust, and I hope he's got no more control than he had with his previous contract because for all his success on the pitch his signings haven't been spectacular, overall.

I don't see the point in comparing Agger/Sakho but anyway, do you not think it's a bit too coincidental that our entire defence has went to shit at set pieces since Rodgers took over? It's a defence that isn't too dissimilar to what we had under Rafa yet we had a great record at set pieces under him. How can the same individuals be so much worse if it's not bad coaching?

Part of it is less to do with bad coaching and more to do with the fact that there is only so much time to coach on a weekly basis. We obviously spend more time as a team training on the ball tactics than defensive drills. It shows in our attacking play, which is a fair sight better than under Rafa, and in our defensive play, which is less disciplined.

Obviously, there is plenty of room for improvement at the back, but my point is that if we're going to be a team with the onus on lots of goals, then that will come at a cost at the back in comparison to previous teams that were quite content to sit on a 1-0 lead.

FWIW, I think Rodgers' approach is far more likely to win the league. Rafa struggled badly to crack the nut of those 0-0s and 1-1s were teams parked the bus. Rodgers' side just rolls those over.

Part of it is less to do with bad coaching and more to do with the fact that there is only so much time to coach on a weekly basis. We obviously spend more time as a team training on the ball tactics than defensive drills. It shows in our attacking play, which is a fair sight better than under Rafa, and in our defensive play, which is less disciplined.

Obviously, there is plenty of room for improvement at the back, but my point is that if we're going to be a team with the onus on lots of goals, then that will come at a cost at the back in comparison to previous teams that were quite content to sit on a 1-0 lead.

FWIW, I think Rodgers' approach is far more likely to win the league. Rafa struggled badly to crack the nut of those 0-0s and 1-1s were teams parked the bus. Rodgers' side just rolls those over.

That's fair, completely agree with that summary. I think because of that though it's wrong for people to blame our individuals for mistakes at set pieces, like Rodgers has done and like Barney did on the previous page. Any defender that comes in is probably going to struggle if they aren't coached in a way that suits defenders.

Just to be clear though I don't think it's a major problem, otherwise I'd be the one who wanted Agger dropped. However, Rodgers feels that other defenders are more suited to his system in open play than Agger then he's right to give it a try.

The talk above about set-pieces and coaching brings up the point about how CL football will change things for Liverpool this year. Not just the extra games but less time to prepare and less time on the training ground. Having a game Saturday then 6 days to prepare for the next one is a big advantage, Mourinho brought it up several times last year. Especially with all these new players coming in, Rodgers and co might not have as big an impact on them as he did with Henderson etc last season.

Fingers crossed anyway. :wenger:

Yes, Manchester United was not at the level of David Moyes.
I didn't mean it like that and i have said my opinion that i don't think Moyes management is suited to a team competing for league titles. However i still think the players after a certain point stopped buying in to his way of doing things.

@Bob Loblaw Our transfer business this year is completely different to last. Illori, Alberto, Aspas, Cissokho, Moses and Toure were all clearly going to be squad players.

The profiles of and money spent on our signings this year is completely different. They've all been signed/will be signed with the expectation that they'll contribute substantially to the first team. Lambert aside, maybe.

Do you think your starting xi is better or worse than last season? Obviously Liverpool are a young team, and those young players should be better but the loss of Suarez is huge. I think you'll be better able to cope with injuries, as last season if coutinho was injured you had Joe Allen try act as playmaker, now you could use Lallana or Markovich there.

Do you think your starting xi is better or worse than last season? Obviously Liverpool are a young team, and those young players should be better but the loss of Suarez is huge. I think you'll be better able to cope with injuries, as last season if coutinho was injured you had Joe Allen try act as playmaker, now you could use Lallana or Markovich there.

Worse as of right now. It's too early to say though, have to see how our signings settle in.

Their starting 11 is of course worse as things stand as they still haven't addressed that defence yet, but one would believe that will change before the season and the fact in their starting XI, take out Suarez for either Markovic/Lallana. Can, Remy, and Lambert were squad signings, they were never going to really improve the first team.

Gerrard. Henderson

Sterling Coutinho Markovic/Lallana

Sturridge

Heard some good things about Markovic, meant to be very talented. Anyone here seen much of him at Benfica?

It's going to be very much a squad game this year. We can't play the same 11 all the time when we have CL football. As it stands, it looks we'll have the ability to have players missing without a huge drop in quality. So we're stronger in that respect, which is important.

Obviously without Suarez, on paper, we are worse. A lot is going to depend on the impact that some of the new signings make. Even taking them out of the equation, & injuries permitting, we can still field a pretty strong first 11 that will give most Premiership sides a tough game.

What a lot of people seem to forget is that the foundation of a lot of our good play last year was based on an intense pressing game. I can't see that changing, & hopefully the bigger squad will allow us to continue that, given the extra games we'll have to play.

It's an exciting time for both sets of fans brought about through big changes at our respective clubs. We'll get to see just how good our manager is having had his prize asset sold to Barcelona, & having to cope with CL football. Whilst United have themselves a massive managerial upgrade on David Moyes, & it's unthinkable that he won't have some sort of say in the Premier League's top places next season.

@Bob Loblaw Our transfer business this year is completely different to last. Illori, Alberto, Aspas, Cissokho, Moses and Toure were all clearly going to be squad players.

The profiles of and money spent on our signings this year is completely different. They've all been signed/will be signed with the expectation that they'll contribute substantially to the first team. Lambert aside, maybe.

Not sure about Iago Aspas, I reckon he was expected to play a much bigger part than he did, just wasn't good enough. Not particularly bothered about that though, he was worth a punt and we pretty much recouped our outlay on him. Otherwise yeah you're right that the majority of our signings were just squad players (Sakho/Mignolet being the exceptions) so that's something to consider. I think this year's signings will be better than last year, but I'm not sure that we couldn't have done better with the money we've spent so far.

As I said though, I think we'll do well even with our transfer window being underwhelming to me, but as the margins at the top are so fine that doesn't necessarily mean we'll finish in the top 4. Even with a great window it's a tough ask, no matter what happens 1 very good team is going to finish 5th and that's why I think it's too early for Liverpool or for Man Utd to be so sure they'll finish ahead of the other.

I didn't mean it like that and i have said my opinion that i don't think Moyes management is suited to a team competing for league titles. However i still think the players after a certain point stopped buying in to his way of doing things.
That I agree with

It's a bit of both. What I will say regarding Sterling is that he'd get into any team in this league on the form he showed after the Hull disaster last season.

Sterling's a top talent, I've been a fan since I saw him breakthrough few years back but he's not what I'd call an established top player already because he still has much improvement in him and I feel he can do much better considering his talent in terms of his end product and what he does at the final moment. Fwiw, he wouldnt get in at City or Chelsea and they're the ones that have the best wide players atm (though City dont really play with traditional wide players anyways). In any case, he isnt at a level that'd scare opponents, same with Sturridge. Individually, they arent top drawer yet like Suarez was for instance.

Sterling's a top talent, I've been a fan since I saw him breakthrough few years back but he's not what I'd call an established top player already because he still has much improvement in him and I feel he can do much better considering his talent in terms of his end product and what he does at the final moment. Fwiw, he wouldnt get in at City or Chelsea and they're the ones that have the best wide players atm (though City dont really play with traditional wide players anyways). In any case, he isnt at a level that'd scare opponents, same with Sturridge. Individually, they arent top drawer yet like Suarez was for instance.

If you're talking Suarez level players, then there are only four or five players of that calibre in the league and you're right, we have no one on his level. I think Sterling would get in ahead of Navas/Nasri and Willian also. Sterling isn't really a traditional wide player.

If you're talking Suarez level players, then there are only four or five players of that calibre in the league and you're right, we have no one on his level. I think Sterling would get in ahead of Navas/Nasri and Willian also. Sterling isn't really a traditional wide player.

Not necessarily Suarez level players but those that'd striker fear into opponents as the original poster said. Neither are at that level.

And yeah, Sterling isnt a traditional wide player, what I meant was that City pretty much play with 2 attacking players through the middle when they employ Silva and Nasri alongside Aguero and Dzeko/Negredo. In that role, Sterling wouldnt get in ahead of Nasri imo.

http://www.lfctour.com/news/latest-news/rodgers-trophies-our-target

Nice to hear. A trophy would be a great next step. Make it the league, ta.

Brendan and Gerrard could very well do with a Guiness International Champions Cup for now.

10306625_10152679831412573_2589244397753480022_n.jpg

Just saying. You've lost your best player by a country mile and signed a bunch of mid-table players. Just don't set your sights too high. Wouldn't want to see you lot get hurt again, it was heartbreaking this year.

Gerrard looks like something out of the new Planet of the Apes movie there.

His arms...:lol: He's got the weirdest bloody arms.

Just saying. You've lost your best player by a country mile and signed a bunch of mid-table players. Just don't set your sights too high. Wouldn't want to see you lot get hurt again, it was heartbreaking this year.

Don't worry we will be fine you concentrate on yourselves and see if you can improve on your mid-table status from last season.
It was heartbreaking seeing you miss out on a Europa League spot.

Don't forget by your reckoning you lot have signed players from "mid-table" clubs too.

Last edited:
Don't worry we will be fine you concentrate on yourselves and see if you can improve on your mid-table status from last season.
It was heartbreaking seeing you miss out on a Europa League spot.

Don't forget by your reckoning you lot have signed players from "mid-table" clubs too.

The difference is that we still have four world class players in our side and now have a manger who can use them correctly.... and we're still going to purchase a couple more top quality players.

Deep down United fans are incredibly excited about this season, whereas if they are honest, deep down Liverpool fans are dreading it because they know that disappointment is inevitable and you'll be back where you belong.

The difference is that we still have four world class players in our side and now have a manger who can use them correctly.... and we're still going to purchase a couple more top quality players.

Deep down United fans are incredibly excited about this season, whereas if they are honest, deep down Liverpool fans are dreading it because they know that disappointment is inevitable and you'll be back where you belong.

4 world class players? Who? I didn't see any last season in your team , and you aren't going to say Rooney are you?

I can't wait for next season, we will surprise people again.

Don't forget as it stands you belong in 7th place.

4 world class players? Who? I didn't see any last season in your team , and you aren't going to say Rooney are you?

I can't wait for next season, we will surprise people again.

Don't forget as it stands you belong in 7th place.

That's it mate, keep on believing that last season will repeat itself, keep on believing that we've no world class players, keep on believing that it's going to be another rosey season for Liverpool. If Moyes was still here, we wouldn't be hearing the end about how we're destined to years in the darkness. You lot still haven't changed your tune despite us hiring one of the best managers in the game along with taking several other steps in the right direction.

You only see what you want to see.

Go on then, who?