Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

Not really, unfortunately. I don't think they've been terrible but so far I've been very underwhelmed. They haven't been the type of signing you'd expect your team to make having been told how much easier it's going to be to attract players with European football, at least.

We've definitely improved our depth but if I was picking a first 11 out of our current squad, 10 of them were already here. I think too many Liverpool fans are ignoring the starting 11, it's completely valid to say squads win leagues but you can't ignore the first 11.

Overall though I'll be happy enough if we get Lovren in(not a huge fan but probably the best we can do) and a top left back which for me is our biggest weakness. Otherwise it's disappointing. I'm naturally pessimistic, but our success last season was in spite of our transfer window and I'm not sure we can do the same trick twice.

Edit: think I misunderstood your question actually but you can probably get the answer from my post anyway.

Agree with this. Liverpool were very lucky with injuries to important players this year but you can't count on that, especially with more games to play. You're now better prepared to deal with injuries, but I think it's very unrealistic to expect you to have such a perfect season again in terms of so many players playing above their expected level. And then of course you've lost Suarez who was hugely important to the way you played, both in his goal return and in making space for other players. With that in mind I think the lack of top-quality signings will see the club fail to build upon this season's success, especially as other teams (especially Chelsea) strengthen.

Rooney in that season that we won the title was not one to remember for him. In a system with RvP and a better player maker behind him we could have won the title again. Rooney was garbage in that title-winning season. Please, continue throwing insults about my intelligence out and about because of my opinion that differs from yours. :rolleyes:

He was your top-scorer last season and would probably have ended up playing for Chelsea yet you think losing him wouldn't have been a problem.

Like I said, a bit dim.

Shocking squad that won the fecking title, i'm so confused by this argument. There is not a snowball's chance in hell we would have finished 4th or 5th with SAF managing us with the team he won the title with. And we would not have bought the bean pole.

Not SAF but any new manager we would have. The argument is simple: The whole squad wasn't even available. So many key players were injured throughout the season. Do you think the Ferdinand of the season we won was the same as the Ferdinand of last season? Same can apply to Vidic, Tony V, Evra, Cleverly, Young, Nani etc. These players weren't the same players and you can't blame it all on tactics or they just didn't wanna play for Moyes.

One big reason we won was that RVP was on fire that season.

I think that's letting the players off too lightly. Moyes managed to have Everton play better as a team than the individual players would suggest they were capable of. I think a few senior pros were not prepared to do it his way and it impacted where you finished.
I do go along with this opinion, the lack of work rate shown compared to his Everton sides was shocking and it was clear the players didn't buy into his way doing things.

Liverpool being the team that finished second and Manchester Utd the one who finished 7th? Yes, yes I would be.

'Suarez is gone so you'll be rubbish' is all I hear from opposition fans - it's such a simple thing to say without having seen us play week in week out. We will show we weren't reliant on one player this season.

You've lost a number of key players. Carrick is old, Rooney is way off his best and RVP is nearly 31 & injury prone. The core of your title winning side has eroded - can you not see this?

Moyes was not the only reason you were so shit last year. LVG is a good appointment, but things will take time - tactical periodization, squad changes, getting to know the players, finding a system that fits etc. He hasn't got a magic formula that will instantly make you great again. Even Mourinho has endured rocky patches last season with a Chelsea side superior to the current Manchester United squad.
Afraid you've missed it by a mile, the foundations of a football club stem from it's roots.
A few shit performances from poorly coached players won't rock what's already in place. Your just laying roots as a club but Uniteds roots are huge. Moyes was a monumental cock up but he's not broken the institution.
One season of shit under Moyes is just as telling as a good season under Rodge.
It's not all set yet.

Exactly, same place as your world class signing. You've nearly got the point. Almost there.

Who described shaw as world class?
Hes a player who could go on to be world class at least, cant say that about any of the other 3.

Why am i even replying to you?
Your posts are beyond idiotic

It's only underwhelming if the season proves to be underwhelming. Seeing as a ball has yet to be kicked, how can you say otherwise ?

I seem to remember you being totally 'overwhelmed' when you signed Mata in January. Even more so when we failed to sign anyone. Didn't quite work out as you hoped though. Why was that do you think ?

Are you still talking about last season when you, once again, failed to win the league?

Well done for not signing anyone in January, and failing to win the league. A lesson to us all in how not to win.

Indeed, not winning the league must be a great consolation on missing out on signing very talented players.

I do go along with this opinion, the lack of work rate shown compared to his Everton sides was shocking and it was clear the players didn't buy into his way doing things.
Yes, Manchester United was not at the level of David Moyes.

Not SAF but any new manager we would have. The argument is simple: The whole squad wasn't even available. So many key players were injured throughout the season. Do you think the Ferdinand of the season we won was the same as the Ferdinand of last season? Same can apply to Vidic, Tony V, Evra, Cleverly, Young, Nani etc. These players weren't the same players and you can't blame it all on tactics or they just didn't wanna play for Moyes.

One big reason we won was that RVP was on fire that season.
Its remarkable how a couple months completely can change a player's ability then. Whats the difference between Ferdinand at 34 1/2 and Ferdinand at 35? Did he lose a leg?

He was your top-scorer last season and would probably have ended up playing for Chelsea yet you think losing him wouldn't have been a problem.

Like I said, a bit dim.
Yeah, I'm dim because I think Rooney was the shiniest turd in a whole squad of turds last season.

No one called Shaw world class.

Then Utd have bought no one to suggest they will break top 4 while Liverpool with their crap Southampton players are fcked. This has been the general theme in this thread which has pissed me off enough to fire these flurry of posts.

Then Utd have bought no one to suggest they will break top 4 while Liverpool with their crap Southampton players are fcked. This has been the general theme in this thread which has pissed me off enough to fire these flurry of posts.
Some United fans say stupid things, and some Liverpool fans say stupid things. Is it fair to say that Liverpool and United are both being underrated coming into this next season? Or are we still 'mid table' and cannon fodder for the other superior teams in the league...

A good season would be getting to the Champions League knockouts and accumulating around 75 points. Whether or not that will be enough to finish in the top 4 is up for debate, but Liverpool are kind of resetting, the medium term future looks more promising than the short term.

Interesting seeing as it's his third highest total in his career.
This is a player who scored 31 before. Last season was certainly not one of his best. I watched every game last season. We were a poor side and Rooney was the least poor of the group.

Imagine if Suarez played this season with Liverpool and scored 17 or thereabouts. Would that not be disappointing given that we've seen him score significantly more than that?

Interesting seeing as it's his third highest total in his career.

I dont agree with rykkers basic point but he spent a lot of his earlier career playing on the wing, his goal scoring record has been dissapointing at times despite that i guess.
He started last season well but his form went downhill after christmas, he didn't have a good season (no one did).

Imagine if Suarez played this season with Liverpool and scored 17 or thereabouts. Would that not be disappointing given that we've seen him score significantly more than that?

No because getting 17 goals in the EPL is pretty fecking good. Ryan Giggs never did it, Cantona got 18 once, Andy Cole got 19 and 17 once, Hernandez and Webeck have never got close.

No because getting 17 goals in the EPL is pretty fecking good. Ryan Giggs never did it, Cantona got 18 once, Andy Cole got 19 and 17 once, Hernandez and Webeck have never got close.
So Suarez losing 14 goals from his stats in a season isn't disappointing? 17 is a decent goal scoring total but Rooney was not that fantastic last season.

Don't sprain your brain now with dem big words.

sometimes-i-use-big-words-i-dont-fully-understand-photosynthesis.jpg

We've definitely improved our depth but if I was picking a first 11 out of our current squad, 10 of them were already here. I think too many Liverpool fans are ignoring the starting 11, it's completely valid to say squads win leagues but you can't ignore the first 11.

That's no bad thing considering how well the 'already here' players did last season. It was the depth that was alarming.

Also, it is possibly difficult to displace established players with new signings from the star of the season. However, by November it might look different. Remy may be scoring frequently, Lovren might look a born leader at the back and Can could be the solidity in midfield we've been waiting for. Not to mention the impact Reus and Vidal will have in the reserves...;)

All a bit early to be dismissing these guys.

No real loss. He's not good enough to get into our first team anyway, not a fan.

Nonsense. Whatever you think about Agger it's statistically proven that we concede much, much, much less when he plays compared to when everyone else plays. We keep a clean sheet about 1 every 2 games with Agger, with Sakho it was something awful like 1 in 17 starts.

Can't prove everything with the stats above but they back up what I think so I'll use them anyway. For me Agger's biggest problem is his defending at set pieces and given that a) all our defenders are awful at set pieces and b) Agger had no problems under Rafa at set pieces, I'd be inclined to think it's a coaching problem. I know Rodgers has blamed our defenders for individual mistakes but for me that's him trying to shift the blame, I'm not sure whether we need to change marking system but we do need to improve how our defenders are coached. If not we'll leak goals at set pieces no matter who plays.

You're right, it's no loss that Brendan's first big money signing is injured before playing a game. Whether you rate him or not, Brendan clearly does and him being injured is a loss especially considering we have three hellish games to start the season.

Agger's marking has been awful for the past two seasons. I love the Dane, but Sakho is the better player. Constantly losing your man in the penalty area isn't something that Brendan can fix systemically. That's something Agger has to improve on himself.

Not really, unfortunately. I don't think they've been terrible but so far I've been very underwhelmed. They haven't been the type of signing you'd expect your team to make having been told how much easier it's going to be to attract players with European football, at least.

Overall though I'll be happy enough if we get Lovren in(not a huge fan but probably the best we can do) and a top left back which for me is our biggest weakness. Otherwise it's disappointing. I'm naturally pessimistic, but our success last season was in spite of our transfer window and I'm not sure we can do the same trick twice.

Edit: think I misunderstood your question actually but you can probably get the answer from my post anyway.

If you were expecting star players, then I could have told you before the window started that you'd be disappointed.

I don't understand the negativity around Lallana. I thought he was excellent last season, scored nine goals so you would figure he would score & create more for us?

Remy once signed scored 14 goals for Newcastle at a ratio of a goal every other game, again especially for the money it's a good signing.

Markovic what I have seen looks a real talent, can play a few positions and adds some flair to our attack.

Lambert, quality proven player in our league, point to prove, for the price I don't see a problem.

Can, confess I hadn't seen much of him but we lack a physical presence in the middle, and he is German!

Lovren if he signs I thought was one of the best centre halves in the league last season.

We wanted Sanchez, who exactly is available as a Suarez like replacement? We don't know that the club haven't looked at what would be deemed as a 'marquee' signing.
Costa was always going to Chelsea, not sure who else we could have gone for?

Remember it wasn't the starting XI that was our problem, it was the bench, options to make changes. With the new players and the likes of Ibe & Suso back we will as a squad be a lot stronger.
Some of the other teams has better squads than us last season and we still finished above them. Trust in the manager I say.

I don't understand the negativity around Lallana. I thought he was excellent last season, scored nine goals so you would figure he would score & create more for us?

Remy once signed scored 14 goals for Newcastle at a ratio of a goal every other game, again especially for the money it's a good signing.

Markovic what I have seen looks a real talent, can play a few positions and adds some flair to our attack.

Lambert, quality proven player in our league, point to prove, for the price I don't see a problem.

Can, confess I hadn't seen much of him but we lack a physical presence in the middle, and he is German!

Lovren if he signs I thought was one of the best centre halves in the league last season.

We wanted Sanchez, who exactly is available as a Suarez like replacement? We don't know that the club haven't looked at what would be deemed as a 'marquee' signing.

Remember it wasn't the starting XI that was our problem, it was the bench, options to make changes. With the new players and the likes of Ibe & Suso back we will as a squad be a lot stronger.
Some of the other teams has better squads than us last season and we still finished above them. Trust in the manager I say.

Optimistic way of looking at it so fair play but the two main issues/concerns for your team imo will be the loss of Suraez and Gerrards form/fitness/age. The signings so far have added much needed depth but the star quality is now lacking. Suarez's unpredictability and brilliance scared and occupied opposition teams plus giving confidence and belief to his team mates that's gone now will be interesting to see who (Sturridge Sterling) if any can carry that on.

Bob Loblaw is the first Liverpool fan in this thread whose posts don't look like they've been filtered through some bullshit club PR system (e.g. see above).

The debate in here is becoming increasingly circular.

United fan: Liverpool have bought average players and are lost without Suarez

Liverpool fan: Liverpool were more than just one player last season plus our signings are actually pretty good as they contend with the weak squad problem.

United fan: Yeah but replacing a Ferrari with five Minis won't win you the league.

Liverpool fan: Let's see until the season starts before we write off these players.

United fan: I don't need to see the start of the season to know Liverpool are now going to 'slip' :lol::lol:.

And it continues...

Liverpool fan: Liverpool were more than just one player last season plus our signings are actually pretty good as they contend with the weak squad problem.

United fan: Yeah but replacing a Ferrari with five Minis won't win you the league.

Liverpool fan: Let's see until the season starts before we write off these players.

United fan: I don't need to see the start of the season to know Liverpool are now going to 'slip' :lol::lol:.

And it continues...

Obviously nobody really knows what will happen. If I had to make 3 suggestions that I'd be sure upon, they'd be that Liverpool won't be top of the league with only one game left for them to play this season; you won't go on a ten game winning streak again and you won't be so fortunate with your leaky defence being papered over with the free scoring Suarez and soft penalties.

And it continues...

True. And once a fill circle is completed, we go again.

Obviously nobody really knows what will happen. If I had to make 3 suggestions that I'd be sure upon, they'd be that Liverpool won't be top of the league with only one game left for them to play this season; you won't go on a ten game winning streak again and you won't be so fortunate with your leaky defence being papered over with the free scoring Suarez and soft penalties.
That also assumes that Liverpool will have a leaky defence with nothing having changed.

As for the penalty thing, pretty much everyone was a clear penalty. A couple were soft but they often came when result was already secure. Liverpool's aggressive attacking led to an unusual amount. I expect a lot next season as well.

Are you still talking about last season when you nearly won the league?

Well done for not signing anyone in January, and nearly winning the league. A lesson to us all in how managers, not players, are the key to a side's future.

Indeed, nearly winning the league must be a great consolation on missing out on signing very talented players, especially as I laughed at you thinking our season would take off when we signed a very talented player

Fixed it for you Krafty.

A more accurate assessment of last season wouldn't you say ?