Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

They will remain a competitive side and I don't want bias to cloud my judgement and assessment of them, but if they sustain a title challenge until the last game of the season I would be very surprised.

Good post @Eriksen, you've gone into detail and outlined why they will do well which is fair enough, as a lot of United fans - myself included - haven't. I agree about your point of them as a team. They may have had an outstanding individual who was their clear star performer, but they were a superb attacking unit and Suarez was allowed to excel even further with Rodgers building the team around pace, energy and youthful exuberance. That won't deter next season as the manager will retain that and they still have the personnel to replicate that.

I just don't believe they will compensate for the loss of Suarez, as losing a player of his calibre or Bale's calibre cannot be directly replaced by a number of squad players like Spurs and Liverpool both did, whether they play as a cohesive unit or not. I expect Liverpool to almost replicate the same high-scoring football last season and other players like Sturridge and Sterling to come to the fore even more, but that loss of star quality will still show in certain matches that they would win with Suarez's presence, whether he's scoring, assisting or creating space for others.

Many people have criticised their squad depth last season and it wasn't a necessity without so many games and fortunately they have remedied that this season, so they should be able to cope on all fronts. However, they enjoyed having continuity and freshness in the first team last season and only have to juggle a small, core squad and now and then make a few tweaks in personnel from game to game. I don't think it should be underestimated how vital that was for their cohesion and unity and with Champions League football I expect that to be hindered considerably next season.

Their manager is so decisive. Last season was no fluke, but they had many positives in their favour and it will be testament to Rodgers managerial ability if he is able to replicate that once more while competing on four fronts. I think the competition will improve immeasurably - namely Arsenal and Chelsea - while City still have the best squad and United should have a bit of a resurgence under van Gaal. I can see them becoming embroiled in a top four battle with United and perhaps Spurs at this moment in time.

Fair enough, respect the thought put into your comments. To be honest we don't know what impact Suarez leaving will have, or the extra games of the Champions League.
However, the club, supporters, players want that extra challenge- it's where we want to be.

I think we are bullding a very good squad now, hopefully the new players that have come in as a group can compensate for the loss of our best one.
We still must get a couple of defenders in and if the manager can spring a surprise and get a top player in all the better.

I think Lallana will be great for us, I also think Markovic is a player of immense promise and Lambert/Can will surprise a few people, I am made up with Remy signing as I believe he will score goals.

Time will tell, but a good post mate.

I agree with a lot of your points, good post, but I do get a tad annoyed about the bolded part. Liverpool played some excellent attacking football. Playing excellent football as a whole isn't just attack, it's a whole. That team wasn't a vintage side, I don't even think Liverpool fans would argue that, because their defending was attrocious at times. Every team has weaknesses, of course, but I don't believe you can be so poor in such an essential aspect of what's part of the game and be considered 'excellent'.

They were an excellent attacking team, absolutely.

That's true, but what I meant by that is that it was good to watch and positive. Obviously it wasn't perfect, they didn't really have the personnel for that, but it was entertaining stuff. When they destroyed us, some of the play was gorgeous and they overwhelmed us with attacking play at times.

It'll be interesting to see how it works in Europe though.

They will remain a competitive side and I don't want bias to cloud my judgement and assessment of them, but if they sustain a title challenge until the last game of the season I would be very surprised.

Good post @Eriksen, you've gone into detail and outlined why they will do well which is fair enough, as a lot of United fans - myself included - haven't. I agree about your point of them as a team. They may have had an outstanding individual who was their clear star performer, but they were a superb attacking unit and Suarez was allowed to excel even further with Rodgers building the team around pace, energy and youthful exuberance. That won't deter next season as the manager will retain that and they still have the personnel to replicate that.

I just don't believe they will compensate for the loss of Suarez, as losing a player of his calibre or Bale's calibre cannot be directly replaced by a number of squad players like Spurs and Liverpool both did, whether they play as a cohesive unit or not. I expect Liverpool to almost replicate the same high-scoring football last season and other players like Sturridge and Sterling to come to the fore even more, but that loss of star quality will still show in certain matches that they would win with Suarez's presence, whether he's scoring, assisting or creating space for others.

Many people have criticised their squad depth last season and it wasn't a necessity without so many games and fortunately they have remedied that this season, so they should be able to cope on all fronts. However, they enjoyed having continuity and freshness in the first team last season and only have to juggle a small, core squad and now and then make a few tweaks in personnel from game to game. I don't think it should be underestimated how vital that was for their cohesion and unity and with Champions League football I expect that to be hindered considerably next season.

Their manager is so decisive. Last season was no fluke, but they had many positives in their favour and it will be testament to Rodgers managerial ability if he is able to replicate that once more while competing on four fronts. I think the competition will improve immeasurably - namely Arsenal and Chelsea - while City still have the best squad and United should have a bit of a resurgence under van Gaal. I can see them becoming embroiled in a top four battle with United and perhaps Spurs at this moment in time.

Thank you, its pretty much expected United fans would do that. On Spurs boards you see plenty of our fans every season saying 'Arsenal will fail' without ever providing substance to these claims. I wouldn't say its quite the same but its the same sort of situation in which rivals fans are influenced heavily by the euphoria of a new season and are bold because they haven't seen the teams play. Obviously United fans have reason to be bold as well and believe they will put Liverpool 'back in their place' next year; due to the arrival of a genuine world-class manager and some signings that have plugged gaps.

Compensating for the loss of Suarez is always going to be a challenge. He is arguably the 3rd best player in the world. For me it's Robben but that's beside the point, for many he is only behind the big two. His record last season was staggering. They will suffer without him certainly but as I said, I don't see it as the same situation as we had with Bale, we were laughably reliant on him. See winner vs. West Ham as one example in which he just pulled something out of absolutely nowhere. He did it all season, a screamer when we had barely threatened all match. Whereas Suarez benefited from all round good attacking play and added that star touch, Bale was everything we did. Even on the last day of the season he won us the game with yet another absolute peach against Sunderland. I think some people actually underestimate Bale's season, whilst he wasn't even top scorer - almost none of his chances were sitters, most of which he fashioned himself. It was quite extraordinary. We were truly FC Bale.

Certainly I agree that they will miss his genius that wins games. This will also be balanced out to an extent by strengthening other areas of the team that cost them goals last year. Whereas last season they may have relied on a Suarez hattrick, now they might control the midfield better or not have Toure making a costly error. The fullbacks are key as well; Cissokho offered absolutely zilch going forward for Liverpool last season, if they acquire a left-back with attacking merit that could add a significant amount of goals it'd be crucial for them. It all rests on how they spend their money and how much they spend. People say we wasted the Bale money and this is somewhat true, but also people have to understand we signed all our players from abroad and we signed a lot of players who were instantly required to be stars and replace last years best player. I don't see Liverpool doing this - they already have an effective core of players, they are just adding to that core, not trying to construct a new one football manager style in one whirlwind season. Players they sign will compliment and provide backup for the likes of Sturridge, Coutinho, Sterling etc. Maybe they'll make a marquee signing or two but I highly doubt Rodgers will do what AVB did and try to build a whole new team, with no system in mind other than 'He's young and promising. Let's get him!'. It honestly reminds me of a FIFA career mode, it was as if Levy was spending his time looking up on the internet 'highest FIFA 14 potential players' and then signed them.

This is where a good manager is crucial and I believe Liverpool have that in Rodgers. I think he has the ability to compete on two fronts and juggle the squad well. Obviously this remains to be seen and there is always the possibility that it will weaken them, but I can't see it having a major effect. We did suffer from being in the CL the year we reached the quarters if I remember right, so it is a factor. It also depends on how far they go, if they are knocked out in the groups for example it won't even matter much, other than the negative effect it could have on the morale of the players.

Yeah, I've been very impressed with Rodgers and next season will be his biggest test yet. Liverpool were linked to AVB I believe but eventually ended up with Rodgers and I bet they are delighted with that. If he does replicate (or even improve on?) last seasons form then he'll have to be up there with one of the most exciting upcoming managers in the world, if he isn't already. The competition is undoubtedly getting stronger, Arsenal's acquisition of Sanchez for me is extremely dangerous as he is exactly the kind of player they need, the kind of player Ozil will thrive off of providing for. Chelsea are looking very strong indeed, in fact next season is going to be a very exciting one for the Premier League, pretty much every side is strengthening, could be an interesting year in Europe for our sides.

Being in a top four battle is certainly a possibility - and if they were to finish 4th it would be far from a failure. I personally think they'll challenge, I really do like the squad Rodgers has built. It has such variation within the attacking players right now and great flair about it with some lethal pace too. Whilst the likes of City/Chelsea have the better squad, I think this Liverpool side is a better 'team' and more balanced. If they were to acquire a few top players in notably weak positions they really would be a fearsome outfit.

You mention the possibility of them fighting with us for top four. For me, we won't challenge next season. We'll improve measurably in our play and players like Lamela and Paulinho will improve I feel, but our squad just isn't quite there yet compared to the current top four. Obviously I'll still remain optimistic but I can't see us really fighting for those spots, unless we sign at least one more centre back and a top left-winger and striker at least. Thus far we've had a quiet window.

I'm sorry but the irony of espousing the virtues of neutrality while making broad sweeping statements about an entire fan base is too much for me to ignore. You're demonstrating the exact characteristics you're claiming to deplore.

Neutrality - or objectivity to offer a better word - should eliminate the type of comment you've just come out with as it's a gross exaggeration.

Yeah ok, trying to be clever and trying turn it all around on me want wash with me. Thats all you lot ever do. You all come on here so you say to talk to other fans and have a different viewpoint when in fact all you want is for people to blow smoke up your backside. I have enough of you lot around me everyday spouting the same rubbish, you are all the same. Anyway im done, id rather bang my head off a wall.

Why? He's not even an improvement on what we have. Left back was our biggest problem position going into this season (I don't rate Enrique) and Bertrand does nothing to solve it

Bertrand is dead solid defensively, has recovery pace and is a reliable outlet on the ball.

Bertrand is the very definition of a problem solver at left back. The argument against him is that he is probably little more than that. But given our situation in defence, I'd love to have a position without problems, as opposed to a player that does a lot of good going forward but has problems tracking back.

I think some people actually underestimate Bale's season, whilst he wasn't even top scorer - almost none of his chances were sitters, most of which he fashioned himself. It was quite extraordinary. We were truly FC Bale.

We had a similar situation with ronaldo in his last season and losing a player like that can work 2 ways.
Basically when we lost him it forced others to step up to the plate and take more responsibility for our attacking play.
His last season our basic attacking tactic was give ronaldo the ball. The interchanging and teamplay of the strikers from the previous season was nowhere to be seen.
The better team play the following season offset the loss somewhat.

When alls said and done you dont lose players that good and come out stronger though. People might be exagerating the loss somewhat but it'll hurt them.
It'll be a good season, im looking forward to it.

Apparently they want £30m for him, or so the rumours say.

Yeah but if you don't buy him, you'll probably get mediocre results from a 10 million signing and end up looking for another one soon anyways. He's 21 and could be there for a decade.

Yeah ok, trying to be clever and trying turn it all around on me want wash with me. Thats all you lot ever do. You all come on here so you say to talk to other fans and have a different viewpoint when in fact all you want is for people to blow smoke up your backside. I have enough of you lot around me everyday spouting the same rubbish, you are all the same. Anyway im done, id rather bang my head off a wall.
Well that volley of vitriol certainly put me in my place.

We had a similar situation with ronaldo in his last season and losing a player like that can work 2 ways.
Basically when we lost him it forced others to step up to the plate and take more responsibility for our attacking play.
His last season our basic attacking tactic was give ronaldo the ball. The interchanging and teamplay of the strikers from the previous season was nowhere to be seen.
The better team play the following season offset the loss somewhat.

When alls said and done you dont lose players that good and come out stronger though. People might be exagerating the loss somewhat but it'll hurt them.
It'll be a good season, im looking forward to it.

Even though Ronaldo was a huge player for us for three league winning seasons a big part of our success was because of Rio/Vidic.

27,22,24 goals conceded in the three seasons before he left. That's some defense to build a successful season from.

Even though Ronaldo was a huge player for us for three league winning seasons a big part of our success was because of Rio/Vidic.

27,22,24 goals conceded in the three seasons before he left. That's some defense to build a successful season from.

Yeah, I think its fair to say we had better players elsewhere in the team.
And there was less competition in the league that year.
And we ran away with the league that season so had more room to maneuvre in terms of others catching up.

Neither bale or ronaldo are a good comparison with suarez really.

Bertrand is dead solid defensively, has recovery pace and is a reliable outlet on the ball.

Bertrand is the very definition of a problem solver at left back. The argument against him is that he is probably little more than that. But given our situation in defence, I'd love to have a position without problems, as opposed to a player that does a lot of good going forward but has problems tracking back.

The part about our situation in defence I agree with, assuming Johnson will be the first choice right back next season anyway. Agree about him having good recovery pace too but beyond that it's really underwhelming for me. Why are we happy to pay what it takes to get out attacking targets them skimp over a couple of million for Alberto Moreno? Losing out on Ben Davies only to get Ryan Bertrand would be annoying too, he's already 24 and has done pretty much nothing at the top level. We could do a lot better and left back is last position we should be settling on - Enrique, Kochensky, Dossena, Cissokho...is it not time we stopped buying stop gaps?

@Bob Loblaw

What do you think of Manquillo? Is he good enough to play regularly for us?

I don't know to be honest. Probably better asking in the La Liga thread but even at that I'd be surprised if many people have seen much of him given his lack of senior appearances.

I've seen him a few times for Atlético and a few times at Spanish youth level but all I could say is that he impressed me overall, he's not yet ready to handle Real Madrid's attack (who is?) and he's pretty quick. I am surprised they're letting him go though because he's been talked of pretty highly and Juanfran is hardly young. If it's a loan with an option to buy there isn't much downside.

I think Bertrand is a better player than Davies. So I've no complaints onthat. Skimping a few million sorta makes a difference if you think you can get a player 80% as good for 40% of the price. At least when you still have a budget for higher priority positions.

I think Bertrand is a better player than Davies. So I've no complaints onthat. Skimping a few million sorta makes a difference if you think you can get a player 80% as good for 40% of the price. At least when you still have a budget for higher priority positions.

It's not even about Davies vs Bertrand, it's that there are dozens of better left backs out there better than Bertrand so I don't know why we're being so quick to settle for such an average player.

What are the higher priority positions? You obviously don't agree but for me left back was THE priority. Even a fully fit Enrique isn't good enough for where we want to be and clearly doesn't fit into Rodgers' ideas going forward. Flanagan performed well last season but he shouldn't be anything more than a squad player this time.

Probably impossible for us to compete with Bayern unless the player really wanted to be a guaranteed starter but I think we missed a trick not getting Juan Bernat before they swooped in. Great player at a bargain price.

It doesn't offer much except Rodgers bullshit and blind faith.
Rodgers bullshit? What does that mean?

It's clearly pointing out that the Spurs comparison is just a convenience and when you brush off the simplicity of it there are far fewer similarities than it seems between Spurs going into last season and Liverpool approaching this coming season.

Spurs having just sold Bale:
Won 72 points
Finished 5th
Scored 66 goals
About to contend with a season of Thursday nights in EL
Bought a lot of players without PL experience
Had a manager at odds with club staff + divided fanbase

Liverpool having just sold Suarez:
Won 84 points
Finished 2nd
Scored 101 goals
CL football on horizon
Bought players with PL experience
Have a manager who is loved by fans and appears to have board with him

Means another season of a self-egotist who because of the support of your fans, will be undroppable unless he forfeits his captaincy, which he won't.
Love this blinkered analysis of one of the league's best midfielders.

By the way, what's a self-egotist?

Rodgers bullshit? What does that mean?
“I want players that are committed to the cause to make Liverpool the best we can be. I want players resting when they should be resting, training hard and working hard and focusing on their life as footballers. We have brought in those types.”

I remember Chelsea fans getting super frustrated with Bertrand because he's just about useless going forward and most of his crosses went into the stands or out for throw ins.

Like B20 said, solid enough defensively but not exceptional and doesn't offer much going forward. Think they could do better with the massive amount of cash they now have to spend.

“I want players that are committed to the cause to make Liverpool the best we can be. I want players resting when they should be resting, training hard and working hard and focusing on their life as footballers. We have brought in those types.”
OK, so something he said is annoying. Fair enough.

What about the basis of the article that the Spurs comparison isn't that secure?

It's just a load of irrelevant comparisons when the biggies aren't addressed: 'are you buying the quality to replace Suarez and are you fixing that leaky defence'.

Now that Suarez has gone there's literally no threat. I mean Sturridge will score goals but he's no Suarez and the rest of the team is incredibly average.

They should've bought someone big with the Suarez cash.

Love this blinkered analysis of one of the league's best midfielders.

By the way, what's a self-egotist?

It's pretty one-eyed to dismiss Gerrard, but it's equally one-eyed to claim he's still one of the best midfielders in the league. He's been a huge liability for you defensively and the resulting instability in front of the back four has been a major reason for your poor record in regards to goals conceded the season gone. He's still better than most midfielders in the league simply on his talent but the only thing about his game that is truly great anymore is his set piece delivery.

It's just a load of irrelevant comparisons when the biggies aren't addressed: 'are you buying the quality to replace Suarez and are you fixing that leaky defence'.

It's blatant that he's doing both, so I'm not sure what your point is? None of what he said was bad, certainly not compared to the stuff he used to come out with or the stuff that other managers (including Arsene) have come out with before.

It's pretty one-eyed to dismiss Gerrard, but it's equally one-eyed to claim he's still one of the best midfielders in the league. He's been a huge liability for you defensively and the resulting instability in front of the back four has been a major reason for your poor record in regards to goals conceded the season gone. He's still better than most midfielders in the league simply on his talent but the only thing about his game that is truly great anymore is his set piece delivery.

Gerrard defensively is poor. On the ball though he's easily one of the five best midfielders in the country. That's why he's in the side.