Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

My gut tells me Liverpool won't win the league but the brand of football Rodgers has us playing gives me huge impression that Liverpool will continue to be one of the top scoring teams. Liverpool are, once again, going to set up with a lot of pace next season, which is tough to play against for any side.

Looking at the signings we're making, there will be even more pace in this side.

Succession planning. Assuming Johnson leaves next year it makes sense to bring in this lad and give him a year to bed in before asking him to become first choice once Johnson leaves. It could also be that we wanted him next year, but once Arsenal moved for him our hand was forced. I think it probably does mean Flanagan at left back. I hope we ship Enrique out and get Moreno or someone like that in still.

I would rather Flanagan was first choice right back, Johnson as back up, new left back, Enrique as back up. However, it's gone quiet on Moreno not really anyone else being linked.
Left back for me was a priority.

I would rather Flanagan was first choice right back, Johnson as back up, new left back, Enrique as back up. However, it's gone quiet on Moreno not really anyone else being linked.
Left back for me was a priority.

I don't rate any of our full backs at the moment. They're ok, but we need upgrades in both positions.

My gut tells me Liverpool won't win the league but the brand of football Rodgers has us playing gives me huge impression that Liverpool will continue to be one of the top scoring teams. Liverpool are, once again, going to set up with a lot of pace next season, which is tough to play against for any side.

True. Pace is a killer and something Utd have been missing for a while now. Annoyingly you have lots if it plus exciting youngsters such a Ibe who can burn past defenders.

Of course there isn't. That's called being a fan - neutrality doesn't apply and nor should it.

Of course there should be, what are you on about? What is the point of having a discussion/debate if all you lot ever do is argue the opposite thing? That is the exact problem with Liverpool fans mentality and is the reason why you can not have a reasonable debate about anything to do with Liverpool. The only time you lot are happy is when people agree with your opinions. Its one thing that people think that having oppo posters here is a good thing, yet you lot come here and all you want to do argue black is white when it comes to Liverpool.

Suarez is/was the best in the world, Liverpool are the best and biggest club in England, Rodgers is easily the best manager and tactical genius. You are going to win the league next year thats for sure. Happy now?

I don't rate any of our full backs at the moment. They're ok, but we need upgrades in both positions.

I think, hope Flanagan will be our 1st choice right back for the long term. We have some promising youngsters on both flanks too.

True. Pace is a killer and something Utd have been missing for a while now. Annoyingly you have lots if it plus exciting youngsters such a Ibe who can burn past defenders.

Ibe is a great prospect, to be honest we never used to have that much pace, now we seem to have it in abundance.

I think Flanagan will end up as a back up. I don't think McLaughlin or Smith will make it either.

I prefer Randall to McLaughlin. It's hard getting that balance right, if we sign too many young players in the full back positions our current youngsters will never get a chance to develop. Time will tell, we definitely need a proven, quality left back though.

Flanagan is so much better.....how can Johnson start over him for Liverpool and England

I don't think Johnson will be here much longer, he is out of contract at the end of next season. You are right though, he was pretty average last season, just with Enrique out injured we were limited in our options.

Ibe is a great prospect, to be honest we never used to have that much pace, now we seem to have it in abundance.

And Utd used to have loads of pace. :(

Ibe and Sterling could be a big part of your future. Hats off to whoever signed them.

And Utd used to have loads of pace. :(

Ibe and Sterling could be a big part of your future. Hats off to whoever signed them.

I just hope Ibe doesn't go out on loan, I think he would be a great option for us to have this season.

Ibe looks set to make a bigger impact than Sterling did in his first full season. Not as tactically suave as Sterling (but then, what teenager is?), but he's got got the pace and technique to burn past defenders and already the physique to bully them while he's at it.

I think he'll have few starts, but could see a fair few sub appearances.

Ibe looks set to make a bigger impact than Sterling did in his first full season. Not as tactically suave as Sterling (but then, what teenager is?), but he's got got the pace and technique to burn past defenders and already the physique to bully them while he's at it.

I think he'll have few starts, but could see a fair few sub appearances.

I've never rated him as highly as some personally - don't think he's on the level Sterling was when he first broke through, though I'm beginning to think his superior physicality will see him through.

Of course there should be, what are you on about? What is the point of having a discussion/debate if all you lot ever do is argue the opposite thing? That is the exact problem with Liverpool fans mentality and is the reason why you can not have a reasonable debate about anything to do with Liverpool. The only time you lot are happy is when people agree with your opinions. Its one thing that people think that having oppo posters here is a good thing, yet you lot come here and all you want to do argue black is white when it comes to Liverpool.

Suarez is/was the best in the world, Liverpool are the best and biggest club in England, Rodgers is easily the best manager and tactical genius. You are going to win the league next year thats for sure. Happy now?

I'm sorry but the irony of espousing the virtues of neutrality while making broad sweeping statements about an entire fan base is too much for me to ignore. You're demonstrating the exact characteristics you're claiming to deplore.

Neutrality - or objectivity to offer a better word - should eliminate the type of comment you've just come out with as it's a gross exaggeration.

Sterling and Sturridge are both intelligent and Markovic is too apparently.

From what I've seen of Markovic he looked really impressive. But knowing a few Portuguese people, they say he can have really breathtaking days but some truly awful ones. They said he's similar in that sense to Nani. If you guys get the best out of him consistently he'll be a great signing.

Never heard of this Manquilllo, is he any good? Not sure about this familiar loan market business we do once a season.. Sahin, Sissokho, They didn't exactly work out well. Anything that's an upgrade on Johnson though is fine by me. This must mean the end for Kelly too.

Never heard of this Manquilllo, is he any good? Not sure about this familiar loan market business we do once a season.. Sahin, Sissokho, They didn't exactly work out well. Anything that's an upgrade on Johnson though is fine by me. This must mean the end for Kelly too.
A training cone would be harder to get round than Johnson so shouldn't be hard to improve on.

There's a lot of blind hope that Liverpool will fail around, its quite amusing to see.

It was happening all last season "Oh, it's just form - they'll drop out of the top 4 soon enough" and no matter what you say about them handing away the title; they challenged right up until the last day. There's no shame in losing to a Mourinho side that didn't come to play football either, plenty of better sides have fallen to that. Palace was an outlier and the result of them getting carried away with the thought of closing up the goal difference, had they just needed a victory I am certain they would've come away with it.

I like the side Rodgers has built. Suarez leaving is a blow, but honestly when I watched Liverpool last season, they were a real team, they weren't us with Bale whatsoever. I don't even think the two situations are comparable in that we were the definition of a team carried by a single player - every goal came from him and were fashioned out of nothing. Liverpool's pressing/energy and pace was the reason they took the league by storm, yes having a world-class striker always helps with that but if they can reinvest and strengthen the rest of the team they could be even better off next season.

Right now they are improving the squad which everyone I'm sure will agree was necessary. They still have plenty of money to spend. Lambert is a quality Plan B, Markovic is potentially a very good player and if they get Remy that's another excellent deal in the bag. You don't need to sign world-class players for every position - just ask Dortmund.

The team is packed with so much pace upfront its frightening. It's not just blind pace either as someone suggested - there are several clever little players in that side that don't just rely on breakneck speed ala Lennon. Sterling's passing last season was one of the major highlights of his game and then they have other clever ones like Markovic and Coutinho.

I'm not keen on either Johnson or Enrique so they should probably improve on the fullback positions, but the CB's are very good quality wise. I don't think Sakho is quite there yet but he clearly has potential if he can be a bit less clumsy and Agger and Skrtel are both good defenders. Mignolet is obviously a very good keeper as well.

Midfield wise Henderson was very good, as was Gerrard, but they could still do with a signing in this area. They have the money now so I'd be surprised if several more high profile players didn't come in. Had they got Sanchez there would be real cause to worry about that side; a team with Sterling & Sanchez on the wings and Sturridge in the middle would rip apart most sides.

Overall, they have a bloody good manager who took a side languishing in midtable to a very genuine title challenge whilst playing excellent football, a young side which is only going to continue to get better and plenty of money to improve it as well. There is absolutely no reason to assume they will be 5th-6th other than disliking Liverpool and making assumptions based on bias.

They'll miss Suarez, but with the league's 2nd top goalscorer there and others like Remy/Lambert also in backup who finished with very high goal tallies, I'm sure the goals will be spread around more evenly. At the start of the season when Suarez was out they were still up there winning games and Sturridge was performing brilliantly, so I see no reason why he can't take a permanant role as the main goalscorer in that side.

Overall, they have a bloody good manager who took a side languishing in midtable to a very genuine title challenge whilst playing excellent football, a young side which is only going to continue to get better and plenty of money to improve it as well. There is absolutely no reason to assume they will be 5th-6th other than disliking Liverpool and making assumptions based on bias.

A good assessment. I particularly agree with this paragraph. The value of having a good manager is so important and the departure of Suarez has meant that Rodgers appears to be ignored here. Yes, he's still new to all this and hasn't got a long track record of success but the signs are that he will have soon.

Quality post @Eriksen

The only parts I disagree with are your assessment on our centre backs and keeper. I think Sakho is our best defender and Agger and Skrtel are weak links. I also think Mignolet is decent enough, but if he doesn't become more commanding this season it may be time to move on. Command of his area and distribution are the two areas he needs big improvement in.

@johnny boy

Don't expect glowing posts re: Liverpool at a Manchester United supporters forum. Never going to happen, you've got RAWK for the pro-LFC bile. But yes, I agree with you; Eriksen's post was excellent and too many here are writing them off. Rodgers is a very good manager and is getting the best out of his players available it seems.

Anyway, Remy having his medical right now isn't he? Pool getting all their business done pretty early by the looks of things. I wish we'd pull our finger out, what will he be, like your 4th signing?

@johnny boy

Don't expect glowing posts re: Liverpool at a Manchester United supporters forum. Never going to happen, you've got RAWK for the pro-LFC bile. But yes, I agree with you; Eriksen's post was excellent and too many here are writing them off. Rodgers is a very good manager and is getting the best out of his players available it seems.

Anyway, Remy having his medical right now isn't he? Pool getting all their business done pretty early by the looks of things. I wish we'd pull our finger out, what will he be, like your 4th signing?

I take your point, it's just nice to get a balanced & honest opinion that's all. If people say we are crap, fine but it's nice to at least say why rather than just because we are Liverpool.

Remy supposedly had his medical yesterday evening, assuming he signs which looks nailed on he will be our 5th signing.

The Echo have already done a feature on Bertrand....

I'd be happy with him.

I watched the end of Liverpool/Roma today and it looked like it was still mainly the 'squad' players playing. When will Markovic get a start? I'm interested to see how he goes.

I watched the end of Liverpool/Roma today and it looked like it was still mainly the 'squad' players playing. When will Markovic get a start? I'm interested to see how he goes.

Yes there were some younger players involved.

I understand a few more of the experienced players may get a run out in the next game against Olympiakos.

I agree with a lot of your points, good post, but I do get a tad annoyed about the bolded part. Liverpool played some excellent attacking football. Playing excellent football as a whole isn't just attack, it's a whole. That team wasn't a vintage side, I don't even think Liverpool fans would argue that, because their defending was attrocious at times. Every team has weaknesses, of course, but I don't believe you can be so poor in such an essential aspect of what's part of the game and be considered 'excellent'.

They were an excellent attacking team, absolutely.

I personally think Liverpool will struggle to make into the top 4 again this season.

Last season they were fantastic, they played some of the best football in Europe but teams will be much more aware and better prepared this year. More teams will employ defensive tactics and without Suarez Liverpool will be very reliant on Sterling and Coutinho to break down the opposition and If you consider this with the added number of games they are going to play it's going to be really difficult for them.

Players like Lambert and Remy are good players but they don't improve the first team at all. If Liverpool are going to have a big year again they will need Coutinho and/or Sterling to have incredible seasons and although I think they're both very good, it's just to early in their careers to put up the consistency needed.

I personally think Liverpool will struggle to make into the top 4 again this season.

Last season they were fantastic, they played some of the best football in Europe but teams will be much more aware and better prepared this year. More teams will employ defensive tactics and without Suarez Liverpool will be very reliant on Sterling and Coutinho to break down the opposition and If you consider this with the added number of games they are going to play it's going to be really difficult for them.

Players like Lambert and Remy are good players but they don't improve the first team at all. If Liverpool are going to have a big year again they will need Coutinho and/or Sterling to have incredible seasons and although I think they're both very good, it's just to early in their careers to put up the consistency needed.

Suarez departure is obviously a consideration, but apart from a couple of defenders we still haven't bought it's the squad that was the problem and that is already stronger than last season.
I think Remy will score goals.

dont give a toss who has who...my point is that there are no easy games or gimmes in the PL.
Counting chickens comes to mind

Yup, My Local Blackpool team did the double over Liverpool and got relegated with the highest points total ever. Nothing is for certain.

They will remain a competitive side and I don't want bias to cloud my judgement and assessment of them, but if they sustain a title challenge until the last game of the season I would be very surprised.

Good post @Eriksen, you've gone into detail and outlined why they will do well which is fair enough, as a lot of United fans - myself included - haven't. I agree about your point of them as a team. They may have had an outstanding individual who was their clear star performer, but they were a superb attacking unit and Suarez was allowed to excel even further with Rodgers building the team around pace, energy and youthful exuberance. That won't deter next season as the manager will retain that and they still have the personnel to replicate that.

I just don't believe they will compensate for the loss of Suarez, as losing a player of his calibre or Bale's calibre cannot be directly replaced by a number of squad players like Spurs and Liverpool both did, whether they play as a cohesive unit or not. I expect Liverpool to almost replicate the same high-scoring football last season and other players like Sturridge and Sterling to come to the fore even more, but that loss of star quality will still show in certain matches that they would win with Suarez's presence, whether he's scoring, assisting or creating space for others.

Many people have criticised their squad depth last season and it wasn't a necessity without so many games and fortunately they have remedied that this season, so they should be able to cope on all fronts. However, they enjoyed having continuity and freshness in the first team last season and only have to juggle a small, core squad and now and then make a few tweaks in personnel from game to game. I don't think it should be underestimated how vital that was for their cohesion and unity and with Champions League football I expect that to be hindered considerably next season.

Their manager is so decisive. Last season was no fluke, but they had many positives in their favour and it will be testament to Rodgers managerial ability if he is able to replicate that once more while competing on four fronts. I think the competition will improve immeasurably - namely Arsenal and Chelsea - while City still have the best squad and United should have a bit of a resurgence under van Gaal. I can see them becoming embroiled in a top four battle with United and perhaps Spurs at this moment in time.

The Echo have already done a feature on Bertrand....

I'd be happy with him.

Why? He's not even an improvement on what we have. Left back was our biggest problem position going into this season (I don't rate Enrique) and Bertrand does nothing to solve it