Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

Do people outside of United supporters really discuss the t-shirt stuff? I don't think they do. Kenny won't care about what outsiders think of him either.

A lot of neutrals wanted us to mess up, but a lot also wanted us to win the thing.
I can only speak about what I know, but in France, in my group of football loving friends (none of which support a PL club seriously, just affinities with Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal or Chelsea) and a really good forum I'm on, yes people discussed it and of course it negatively affected Liverpool's image. There's really no discussing that.
Lovren and Sakho excites me, massive improvement on Skrtel/Toure and Sakho. Gerrard isn't in the team for his defensive capabilities, he's in the team for what he does with the ball. I agree we do probably need a top attacking player.
Gerrard is ok defensively. He's not great.
Sakho is excellent.
I think you're in for a bit of a disappointment in Sakho, he'll never be excellent (and he definitely isn't now, there's absolutely nothing to suggest that). Very rash defender and technically pretty poor, he'll be ok in tough games where he can get in opposition players' faces and adopt an aggressive style, but he'll be lost in the more tactical games and I believe he'll be a liability in CL. Lovren isn't anything special either.
I am starting to think we may have bought one squaddie too many this season. Jordon Ibe looks set to make a smashing impression this season.
Maybe though you have to be careful about pre-season tours and those impressions, we've seen a few Utd youngsters look great on tour and not follow through during the season. Not saying that will be the case for Ibe but I just believe it's fairly reasonable for Liverpool staff to not plan on him having a great season.

Sakho is young and it's been one year in England and he's done well, not a player I would call garbage nor average as much as I hate Liverpool players

Yeah I think Sahko has big potential. Physically dominant and as someone else mentioned above, if you had him alongside a clever, good reader of the game then it could turn into a quality combination. I have no idea if Lovren is that man though.

Even ignoring penalties, we were far and away the best set piece team in the league last season.

It was quite surreal, but nice.

Obviously the reward for a lot of good work on the training ground. Be interesting to see if you continue to be so prolific this term.

Sakho is young and it's been one year in England and he's done well, not a player I would call garbage nor average as much as I hate Liverpool players

The reason we conceded so many goals last season was mainly down to our attacking style of play rather than having sub-standard defenders. Sakho was one of those who'd quite often be left exposed because we'd have 6 or 7 players in the opposition half. Interestingly enough, the majority of our clean sheets came against the clubs in the top 7 where we sometimes played a little more conservatively, & the midfielders maybe kept their focus better than they might have done whilst playing against the lesser teams.

Yeah I think Sahko has big potential. Physically dominant and as someone else mentioned above, if you had him alongside a clever, good reader of the game then it could turn into a quality combination. I have no idea if Lovren is that man though.

Obviously the reward for a lot of good work on the training ground. Be interesting to see if you continue to be so prolific this term.

We've certainly missed Carragher a lot more than many outside of Anfield would have expected. We definitely need a strong, vocal leader at the back though.

The reason we conceded so many goals last season was mainly down to our attacking style of play rather than having sub-standard defenders. Sakho was one of those who'd quite often be left exposed because we'd have 6 or 7 players in the opposition half. Interestingly enough, the majority of our clean sheets came against the clubs in the top 7 where we sometimes played a little more conservatively, & the midfielders maybe kept their focus better than they might have done whilst playing against the lesser teams.

Defending is a team's effort indeed and individually Sakho hasn't got major flaws, except maybe his ability on the ball.

On the one hand you suggest Liverpool won't require as much consideration from opposition sides given the absence of Suarez. You then say that teams will be better ready for Liverpool's threat this season. However, if opposition teams regard Liverpool in the same vein as yourself then such special treatment isn't required given the fact that the main threat has left.

I can make it clear for you, that's easier:

You will be treated like champions after last season. You will be treated no different than City or Chelsea, you won't have the surprise factor at the start as you did last season.

There are obvious difficulties to prepare for a player of Suarez' quality, without him things are easier for any team just like preparing for Madrid without Ronaldo. I'm basically saying no Suarez increases the chances of somebody stopping you, of the opponents strategy succeeding.

When Ronaldo left United do you think teams treated them any different? They didn't.

I therefore think it's important you sign 2 or 3 players on the level of Sanchez however Liverpool fans are of the opinion Daniel Sturridge and Sterling are on this level (I think) so if this turns out to be true then that's completely different.

On the general point about being 'ready for Liverpool', do people think well paid opposition managers went into games against Liverpool at Anfield underprepared? By March it was obvious how Liverpool were playing yet they were still managing to blow teams away. Fact is, a good side is a good side. Opponents struggled to deal with the pace of attacks from all angles. They knew it was coming but most collapsed to it. That's why good teams win matches. You don't go a full season being an unknown quantity.

Teams didn't know how to stop them. This is kind of the point, once a team finds a successful strategy and those other (inferior) teams can implement this then things change and the way you need to break teams down changes. I think City suffered from this in the season after they won the title, United have a wealth of experience dealing with this thus I think they are more likely to turn those draws into wins against the inferior sides.

That's where I think you will miss Suarez. And I think you need somebody like Hazard or RVP.

It will be an interesting season nonetheless but I do feel squad wise you are inferior to the other big four thus you are effectively reliant on Rodgers being one of the best managers in the world, which he might very well be, after this season it is a possibility so we will find out soon.

We've certainly missed Carragher a lot more than many outside of Anfield would have expected. We definitely need a strong, vocal leader at the back though.

Yeah, a good leader, organizer next to Sakho could prove to be very strong indeed.

You mention Carragher, and this is one of my concerns with us. Evra, Rio and Vidic all gone in one hit.

im honestly losing track about how many players liverpool are bringing in, brendon rodgers seems to be using the Roy Keane transfer technique buy as many players as humanly possible and hope one of them is okay.

the more they spend, the more it seems thier panicking and dont have a plan and saying their squad is top heavy is like saying space is a bit big.

Ah Barney, stop being so butthurt man. He's well past his pomp. So you admit yourself JH is the better all round CM...then surely you'd want him in before Gerrard. Henderson is on the up, and that boy will get better for sure. On the other side it's only going one way for Mr Liverpool, he's on the wane. "He's better on the ball...." big fecking wow. L'Pool need a box to boxer playing there. Feel bit sorry for Brendan, out of loyalty he'll be forced to play England captain and Mr Liverpool.

@PickledRed - yes it does say a lot about Henderson's development. You lot should have been playing him week in/week out as soon as you signed him. He's the new dippers engine, the one that SG used to be for all those years in his pomp. Henderson will be the first CM name on the team sheet. If Brendan wants to slot Gerrard in there next to him, well who knows. I think this season when Gerrard starts that teams will play more through the middle against the dippers as they know he's not the player he was, and is prone to the odd error. Sitter at best for me this season Pickles. If Brendan had the bollocks, he'd be warming the bench. Henderson does look promising though.
Bit in bold is an odd statement.

Henderson since he signed:
11/12: 37 PL games
12/13: 30 PL games
13/14: 35 PL games(3 match suspension)

He's missed 13 games out of 114. Few players have been picked that regularly.

Gerrard was a sitter last season and was very effective. I doubt opponents will single him out.

im honestly losing track about how many players liverpool are bringing in, brendon rodgers seems to be using the Roy Keane transfer technique buy as many players as humanly possible and hope one of them is okay.

the more they spend, the more it seems thier panicking and dont have a plan and saying their squad is top heavy is like saying space is a bit big.
Really?

Including future signings, how do people see liverpool lining up next season?

I can make it clear for you, that's easier:

You will be treated like champions after last season. You will be treated no different than City or Chelsea, you won't have the surprise factor at the start as you did last season.

There are obvious difficulties to prepare for a player of Suarez' quality, without him things are easier for any team just like preparing for Madrid without Ronaldo. I'm basically saying no Suarez increases the chances of somebody stopping you, of the opponents strategy succeeding.

When Ronaldo left United do you think teams treated them any different? They didn't.

I therefore think it's important you sign 2 or 3 players on the level of Sanchez however Liverpool fans are of the opinion Daniel Sturridge and Sterling are on this level (I think) so if this turns out to be true then that's completely different.

Teams didn't know how to stop them. This is kind of the point, once a team finds a successful strategy and those other (inferior) teams can implement this then things change and the way you need to break teams down changes. I think City suffered from this in the season after they won the title, United have a wealth of experience dealing with this thus I think they are more likely to turn those draws into wins against the inferior sides.

That's where I think you will miss Suarez. And I think you need somebody like Hazard or RVP.

It will be an interesting season nonetheless but I do feel squad wise you are inferior to the other big four thus you are effectively reliant on Rodgers being one of the best managers in the world, which he might very well be, after this season it is a possibility so we will find out soon.

I think you'll find that Luis Suarez wasn't really that effective for us against well organised sides that set themselves up to contain.

I think you'll find that Luis Suarez wasn't really that effective for us against well organised sides that set themselves up to contain.

That's actually v true.....Id also agree regarding your defence, I think you had better results defensively whilst playing just the one up top.

Id have a few concerns regarding Lovren adjusting to Rodgers tactics, he's coming from a side that always had at least one sometimes two very deep lying midfielders. Swap that for Gerard and Henderson and he'll be far more exposed and likely to make mistakes. I don't think hes a step up on what you have already to be honest.

Defending is a team's effort indeed and individually Sakho hasn't got major flaws, except maybe his ability on the ball.

I've no complaints about his ability on the ball. It annoys me a bit there are so many who saw his crazy ten minutes vs city and concluded he's a donkey.

To be sure, he looks like a donkey. The way he carries and passes the ball looks like Djimi Traore on stilts. But he actually picks his passes extremely well, has very good accuracy and is hard to rattle into poor decisions.

He's no Agger who will turn out of trouble with ease and place a 30 yards crossfield pass, or carry it past a man or two up the pitch. But he passes it every bit as well as you'd want from a centreback.

I've never seen such an inelegant player pass so well actually. It's a bit weird. I think maybe the time in his head makes up for his awkardness on the ball.

Last edited:

Mignolet
Johnson-Lovren-Sakho-Moreno
Gerrard
Henderson - Lallana
Sterling-Sturridge-New Guy

Expect Coutinho to rotate quite a bit with Lallana and our other new guy. Markovic to rotate a fair bit with the wingers. They'll be close to the starting XI often enough.

Allen, Can, Remy and Lambert to plug holes and offer tactical solutions on a fairly frequent basis as squaddies.

If Markovic needs time to settle, I imagine Remy will be the one closer to the first XI, filling in where you'd like.

Johnson will probably lose his place to Flannagan unless he snaps out of his stupor.

Mignolet
Flanagan
Lovren
Sakho
new signing
Sterling
Gerrard
Henderson
Lallana
Coutinho
Sturridge

Bench - Keeper/Johnson/Agger or Skrtel/Lambert/Remy/Can/Markovic

Assuming Lovren and Remy sign

Can see a lot of adjustments based upon circumstances and opposition.
Would like to see Ibe involved as I reckon he could a real asset, likes of Enrique/Allen/
Lucas/Suso/Kelly/Ilori if not sold or loaned out as back ups.

Like to see Rossiter, Peterson maybe Texiera get some game time too perhaps on bench for
odd game, or started in earlier domestic cup rounds

It's really hard to say overall as I still think a couple at least may leave, and you never know we may get another attacking player too.

Mignolet
Gerrard
Henderson - Lallana

Expect Coutinho to rotate quite a bit with Lallana and our other new guy. Markovic to rotate a fair bit with the wingers. They'll be close to the starting XI often enough.

Allen, Can, Remy and Lambert to plug holes and offer tactical solutions on a fairly frequent basis as squaddies.

If Markovic needs time to settle, I imagine Remy will be the one closer to the first XI, filling in where you'd like.

Johnson will probably lose his place to Flannagan unless he snaps out of his stupor.

Whats happening with Toure, Agger, Skrtel and Enrique?

That's actually v true.....Id also agree regarding your defence, I think you had better results defensively whilst playing just the one up top.

Id have a few concerns regarding Lovren adjusting to Rodgers tactics, he's coming from a side that always had at least one sometimes two very deep lying midfielders. Swap that for Gerard and Henderson and he'll be far more exposed and likely to make mistakes. I don't think hes a step up on what you have already to be honest.

Over a third of his 69 league goals were scored against 3 teams: Norwich (12) Sunderland (7) Wigan (6). 3 teams not generally noted for their defensive qualities.

Over a third of his 69 league goals were scored against 3 teams: Norwich (12) Sunderland (7) Wigan (6). 3 teams not generally noted for their defensive qualities.

That's actually a good point, we have been reminded many times that Suarez doesn't score against the better teams - yet we are now being told we will be close to hopeless without him.....

Whats happening with Toure, Agger, Skrtel and Enrique?

I imagine one of Agger, Skrtel will be sold.

Toure I think will be phased out as 4th choice over the season in favour Ilori. But I think we'll keep him in just case. Which probably means Toure will be crapped on a bit before he leaves.

As for Enrique - who knows? He's been out over a year.

That's actually a good point, we have been reminded many times that Suarez doesn't score against the better teams - yet we are now being told we will be close to hopeless without him.....

Well...the 'get out of jail free' card has gone. Perhaps more points will be dropped against clubs like these

Goals and assists are not the only way to value a player. That said if you want to look at that then the teams Suarez did not score or assist against last season were 2, they were Chelsea and Aston Villa.

Mignolet
Gerrard
Henderson - Lallana

Looks like the squad finally has a bit of competition in it for first 11 places. This is good. Left back is still a bit light with hopefully a young lad coming through to get a few Carling Cup games there. Also the defensive midfield and centre back options need improving with Gerard probably not able to cover a 40 games season as seen near the end of last year. Is rossiter a viable option in the middle of the park yet? I've been disappointed with the regression of Kelly over the last 2 years and Ibe looks to have great raw potential. Add to that Suso who looked good for Almeira last year and mayble another goalie perhaps Navas of world cup fame who really impressed me and would push Mignolet to perform.

Well...the 'get out of jail free' card has gone. Perhaps more points will be dropped against clubs like these
You could be right there but Lambert scored against clubs like these at Southampton so no reson why he cant do the same in a liverpool shirt.

I've no complaints about his ability on the ball. It annoys me a bit there are so many who saw his crazy ten minutes vs city and concluded he's a donkey.

To be sure, he looks like a donkey. The way he carries and passes the ball looks like Djimi Traore on stilts. But he actually picks his passes extremely well, has very good accuracy and is hard to rattle into poor decisions.

He's no Agger who will turn out of trouble with ease and place a 30 yards crossfield pass, or carry it past a man or two up the pitch. But he passes it every bit as well as you'd want from a centreback.

I've never seen such an inelegant player pass so well actually. It's a bit weird. I think maybe the time in his head makes up for his awkardness on the ball.

I don't know I've watched him for years and it's always been his most obvious weakness. He also needs for his sake to keep on staying fit for a long period.

So according to sky sources Borini wants to stay and fight for a first team place. Terrible news for Liverpool if true.

So according to sky sources Borini wants to stay and fight for a first team place. Terrible news for Liverpool if true.

Well if he stays he gives us another option as a back up, the only bad bit is the high fee Sunderland were prepared to pay.
In some ways it would have been better if he went, however give him credit for not taking the easy option, and he did gain valuable experience last season and scored a few goals.

Well if he stays he gives us another option as a back up, the only bad bit is the high fee Sunderland were prepared to pay.
In some ways it would have been better if he went, however give him credit for not taking the easy option, and he did gain valuable experience last season and scored a few goals.
14 million for Borini though, you have to do all you can to push him out the door for that price and i think he's a half decent player.

Drug him up, make him sign the contract. Then deny deny deny.

Goals and assists are not the only way to value a player. That said if you want to look at that then the teams Suarez did not score or assist against last season were 2, they were Chelsea and Aston Villa.

I think his overall goals record against the regular top 4 clubs (United, City, Chelsea, & Arsenal) is something like 5 in 25 matches. Not too sure about the assists though.

Daniel Sturridge has scored 6 times against the same clubs having played in less than half the games.

The thing is, none of us know exactly what impact his loss will have on the club, because we have no idea how the new lads will settle in. On paper it screams out that we're worse off without him. But there is a good possibility that the side will have a better balance to it, with more goals coming from different players, & a team that may give different problems to the opposition sides. The better teams can generally set out to nullify a key player like Suarez with some degree of success. Trying to counter a whole side that is top of it's game is far more difficult proposition, & I would imagine that's what Rodgers is trying to achieve.

Any Pool fans clarify something for me.....

I was under the impression the Sturridge did quite well goals wise as a lone striker last season? Read something to the contrary earlier.
He started the season on his own without Suarez and scored in 5 of those 6 games.

Also scored 4 goals (hat-trick away at Fulham & a goal away against Newcastle in our 6-0 win) in the final 4 games of the previous season when Suarez started his ban.
So 9 goals in 10 games.

But he only did it coz Suarez was somewhere in the same postcode or something. What else could explain Sturridge doing well all on his own?

Henderson is effective for Liverpool but he offers nowhere near the penetrative ability that Gerrard does. Nor he is he in the same stratosphere in terms of talent.

In fact, I find it pretty funny how opposition fans are increasing coming to praise Henderson, yet slate Gerrard. He's a great water carrier for us but Gerrard offers so much more going forward.

Henderson is effective for Liverpool but he offers nowhere near the penetrative ability that Gerrard does. Nor he is he in the same stratosphere in terms of talent.

In fact, I find it pretty funny how opposition fans are increasing coming to praise Henderson, yet slate Gerrard. He's a great water carrier for us but Gerrard offers so much more going forward.
Gerrard is by far the most underrated player on this site. The amount of times i have read that he isn't technically great is embarrassing.

Reactions: Grinner
Gerrard is by far the most underrated player on this site. The amount of times i have read that he isn't technically great is embarrassing.
Indeed. I think it's dislike veiled as 'analysis' in truth.