Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

I genuinely think this is being overplayed. The news cycle is far too fast for such things to happen and to take hold. It was an unedifying spectacle but had it ruined Liverpool's image the club would've been unable to secure global contracts with the likes of Chevrolet, Warrior and a Standard Charter. These are powerful global brands who wanted to be associated with the club that had Suarez as their main man. Similarly, if it was so ruinous the likes of Adidas wouldn't have used Suarez for years as a poster boy.

I appreciate the sentiment, but images were bruised not ruined.

IMO that's only because Liverpool decided to apologise quickly, rather than backing Suarez. I still there'd have been huge repercussions if they hadn't apologised.

IMO that's only because Liverpool decided to apologise quickly, rather than backing Suarez. I still there'd have been huge repercussions if they hadn't apologised.
Possibly, but that would indicate that Liverpool's image wasn't 'ruined' as real damage was avoided.

Possibly, but that would indicate that Liverpool's image wasn't 'ruined' as real damage was avoided.

Ruined was actually a wrong word then, tarnished would probably be the right one.

Sturridge has a good season and a bit and is suddenly on par with RVP and Aguero..fecking hell you lot make me laugh. :lol:
Sturridge's form over past 18 months lives alongside most elite strikers in Europe. By way of context, over the same period De Gea has developed a level of consistency that has led many on here to regard him as being in the top 2 or 3 keepers in the world. But that form hasn't developed over a significantly long period, more like 18 months or so.

My point is, when it comes to United players performing well it's hailed to the rooftops but if a Liverpool player does well it is qualified in some way, shape or form.

Perhaps ruined might be a bit strong a word but tainted, no question. The Suarez racism charge and t-shirt fiasco was 2011 and yet it's talked about all the time. You'll always be the club that stood by a player who was guilty of racial abuse and embarrassed your greatest player in the process. The way a lot of your fans reacted to the whole thing was horrible as well. Utd and Ferguson handled the issue with dignity. You were the opposite.

You'd be amazed at how many neutrals last season were desperate for you to slip up (pun intended) in the title race and perhaps a fairly big reason for that is they all remember your club and fans actions whenever it involved Suarez. But especially in 2011.

So obviously Liverpol have sat down and decided they need some new strikers, at what point did they think Lambert, Origi and Remy would give them a shot at finishing in the top 4? they couldn't have picked more average talent. It's Spurs all over again, there's been no real planning and they seem to be buying anyone.

Poor summer imo, the one player that might do ok is Markovic, it wouldn't surprise me to see every other signing this summer fail at Anfield. With a lot of new players to bed in, European football to juggle and the loss of Suarez I can see this being a nightmare season for Liverpool.

Last edited:
I do think Liverpool need that one 'big' signing but they've done well so far, all things considered. That said, Lovren and Sakho with Gerrard ahead of them would make me nervous if I was a Liverpool fan.

Wonder if Origi will be sent away again.

On loan to Lille.

Perhaps ruined might be a bit strong a word but tainted, no question. The Suarez racism charge and t-shirt fiasco was 2011 and yet it's talked about all the time. You'll always be the club that stood by a player who was guilty of racial abuse and embarrassed your greatest player in the process. The way a lot of your fans reacted to the whole thing was horrible as well. Utd and Ferguson handled the issue with dignity. You were the opposite.

You'd be amazed at how many neutrals last season were desperate for you to slip up (pun intended) in the title race and perhaps a fairly big reason for that is they all remember your club and fans actions whenever it involved Suarez. But especially in 2011.

Do people outside of United supporters really discuss the t-shirt stuff? I don't think they do. Kenny won't care about what outsiders think of him either.

A lot of neutrals wanted us to mess up, but a lot also wanted us to win the thing.

I do think Liverpool need that one 'big' signing but they've done well so far, all things considered. That said, Lovren and Sakho with Gerrard ahead of them would make me nervous if I was a Liverpool fan.

Lovren and Sakho excites me, massive improvement on Skrtel/Toure and Sakho. Gerrard isn't in the team for his defensive capabilities, he's in the team for what he does with the ball. I agree we do probably need a top attacking player.

I am starting to think we may have bought one squaddie too many this season. Jordon Ibe looks set to make a smashing impression this season.

I am starting to think we may have bought one squaddie too many this season. Jordon Ibe looks set to make a smashing impression this season.
Sending Origi on loan does help with numbers and if we get Lovren can we expect a defensive departure?

Lovren and Sakho excites me, massive improvement on Skrtel/Toure and Sakho. Gerrard isn't in the team for his defensive capabilities, he's in the team for what he does with the ball. I agree we do probably need a top attacking player.

Gerraard plays as the deepest CM though and is not very good with his defensve game to say the least.

Sakho is complete garbage.

Past tense. What he 'did' with the ball. Henderson is a better all round CM these days.
That says more about Henderson's improvement than anything.

However, Gerrard has just come off the back of a season where he was easily in the top 4 or 5 midfielders in the league. Not bad for a player who is reportedly past it.

All round, yes. Gerrard is still miles better on the ball and is still excellent on the ball.

demba_ba1.gif

Sorry, man, but you asked for that.

My work here is done :smirk:

Sakho has been fairly consistently dreadful so far, but might improve considerably imo (Skrtl is the one you need to get out - the guy's a clown).

Brendan needs (a) a bigger squad - being sorted and (b) some BIG performances from 1 of his forward signings - bit of a gamble given the signings but will have 3 chances of this coming in (c) seems v v confident in Sturridge (who does get injured)

All interesting stuff

as is the GK situation - will Reina get back in (will he stop anything if he does?) can they continue to rely on the rather average MIgnolet?

However, Gerrard has just come off the back of a season where he was easily in the top 4 or 5 midfielders in the league. Not bad for a player who is reportedly past it.

I'm not convinced he was.

He was average for long periods, a liability at times and his 10 penalties gave a very distorted view of how good he actually was. The team around him made him look better than he was and it should be the opposite for a midfielder.

Well, yes, if he hadn't received the suspensions that would have been much better. He's still helped us far more than he's hurt us though.
Next season might point out just how much he did actually help you, despite opinions to the contrary. Funny how opinions change to suit agenda though, so far he's been replaced by Adam Lallana and Liverpool fans have convinced themselves it was the squad around Suarez that was the difference not the £75m rated player :lol:

demba_ba1.gif

Sorry, man, but you asked for that.

My work here is done :smirk:

:(

Sakho has been fairly consistently dreadful so far, but might improve considerably imo (Skrtl is the one you need to get out - the guy's a clown).

Brendan needs (a) a bigger squad - being sorted and (b) some BIG performances from 1 of his forward signings - bit of a gamble given the signings but will have 3 chances of this coming in (c) seems v v confident in Sturridge (who does get injured)

All interesting stuff

as is the GK situation - will Reina get back in (will he stop anything if he does?) can they continue to rely on the rather average MIgnolet?

Sakho has been good so far, but we've yet to see the best out of him. I'd keep Skrtel too.

Reina needs to leave asap.

Gerrard was also pitifully crap at the World Cup

More down to the manager/system.

You've got to be terribly deluded to think Sakho is excellent.

My tentative theory is that someone who is ''calm & collected'' could sweep behind Sakho and tell him what to do / where to go - leaving Sakho to focus on winning the ball and he might look half-decent. Not gonna work as a partnership with Skrtl cos Skrtl doesn't know what he's doing himself.

Past tense. What he 'did' with the ball. Henderson is a better all round CM these days.
All round, yes. Gerrard is still miles better on the ball and is still excellent on the ball.
Ah Barney, stop being so butthurt man. He's well past his pomp. So you admit yourself JH is the better all round CM...then surely you'd want him in before Gerrard. Henderson is on the up, and that boy will get better for sure. On the other side it's only going one way for Mr Liverpool, he's on the wane. "He's better on the ball...." big fecking wow. L'Pool need a box to boxer playing there. Feel bit sorry for Brendan, out of loyalty he'll be forced to play England captain and Mr Liverpool.

@PickledRed - yes it does say a lot about Henderson's development. You lot should have been playing him week in/week out as soon as you signed him. He's the new dippers engine, the one that SG used to be for all those years in his pomp. Henderson will be the first CM name on the team sheet. If Brendan wants to slot Gerrard in there next to him, well who knows. I think this season when Gerrard starts that teams will play more through the middle against the dippers as they know he's not the player he was, and is prone to the odd error. Sitter at best for me this season Pickles. If Brendan had the bollocks, he'd be warming the bench. Henderson does look promising though.

Ah Barney, stop being so butthurt man. He's well past is pomp. So you admit yourself JH is the better all round CM...then surely you'd want him in before Gerrard. Henderson is on the up, and that boy will get better for sure. On the other side it's only going one way for Mr Liverpool, he's on the wane. "He's better on the ball...." big fecking wow. L'Pool need a box to boxer playing there. Feel bit sorry for Brendan, out of loyalty he'll be forced to play England captain and Mr Liverpool.

@PickledRed - yes it does say a lot about Henderson's development. You lot should have been playing him week in/week out as soon as you signed him. He's the new dippers engine, the one that SG used to be for all those years in his pomp. Henderson will be the first CM name on the team sheet. If Brendan wants to slot Gerrard in there next to him, well who knows. I think this season when Gerrard starts that teams will play more through the middle against the dippers as they know he's not the player he was, and is prone to the odd error. Sitter at best for me this season Pickles. If Brendan had the bollocks, he'd be warming the bench. Henderson does look promising though.

I want both playing along with Lallana or Coutinho.

Stevie G is poo these days, even my Dipper friend admits it.

I'd play:

---------------- Lucas ---------------

------ Henderson ------ Allen -------------

OR

-------- Henderson --- Allen -----------

------------- Llallana ------------------

Everytime. But BR won't be allowed to do that, he'll have to play Starfish or he'll strop.

Sakho is a fine player so far. Hasn't really found his feet due to a very stop start season. Still an easy pick for first choice and you can see there's monstrous defender in there.

Do people outside of United supporters really discuss the t-shirt stuff? I don't think they do. Kenny won't care about what outsiders think of him either.

A lot of neutrals wanted us to mess up, but a lot also wanted us to win the thing.

Not saying it's discussed all the time, but certainly comes up often enough. There was a Real Madrid fan just on the last page saying how embarrassing the t-shirt fiasco was. Throughout this forum you'll see the gooners and other oppo fans saying how laughable it was.

I agree Kenny wouldn't give a shit about what other fans think. Doesn't stop them talking about it and remembering it as an awful decision by the club. I'm sure Kenny and the rest wouldn't do it again if they could go back.

As for Gerrard, he's declined but is still important. Apart from his experience, his delivery from set-pieces last term was superb. I wonder how many goals Liverpool scored from set-pieces and pens last year?

As for Gerrard, he's declined but is still important. Apart from his experience, his delivery from set-pieces last term was superb. I wonder how many goals Liverpool scored from set-pieces and pens last year?

Even ignoring penalties, we were far and away the best set piece team in the league last season.

It was quite surreal, but nice.

He can whore himself around to whoever he wants. He did the business on the pitch and gave it his all every time he played for us. There's also the fact that I'm not arsed about what other supporters think about our club and our reputation. I think the conspiracy theorists that believe he bit him to try and force a move out are deluding themselves. From the sounds of it, he was going whatever happened.

Whether he bit intentionally or not, no one can say conclusively. However, the bite sure fastened his exit from the club. I am sure you lot would have faced another summer with him moaning about and whoring himself about the whole summer. When he started to claim that the english media was disrespectful to him after the England game, it was eerily reminiscent of last summer when he blamed the English media and tried to engineer to move to Arsenal(feck logic eh). To claim Suarez left Liverpool under good terms is funny to say the least...

Sakho is young and it's been one year in England and he's done well, not a player I would call garbage nor average as much as I hate Liverpool players